2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 186 of 190 1 2 184 185 186 187 188 189 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
KaylaX, I don't have the book handy (I'm upstairs getting ready for bed), but the piece I just learned was Circus March, which is about a third of the way through Book 2.

I can't play ragtime either, but I think there are some easy rags in the Jazz, Rags and Blues books. I know there was at least one in the Alfred Basic Library Jazz, Rags and Blues 1b.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bump.

Bringing this up from page 3.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The most recent piece I learned out of this book was Loch Lomond, which I enjoy. That, Danny Boy and Musetta's Waltz are probably my favorites.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

B
B
I am at the home stretch, seven more to go until I complete Alfred's level 2 smile I think I will go back to Faber Piano Adventures Level 4 after I complete Alfred's level 2. That will probable take a year to complete.

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Seven more pieces.... Wow!

I think a lot of people go on to Piano Adventures 4 after finishing the Alfred Adult book 2. I know Blackjack did it, and it worked well for him. I'm a LONG way off from that, but I will keep it in mind. Hope you stick around for a while though. This thread keeps disappearing. I guess we need some Book 1 graduates to move up.

I'm still working on those inversions. I need to wrap my mind around the fact that the same chord can have different forms.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram

I'm still working on those inversions. I need to wrap my mind around the fact that the same chord can have different forms.

Try this:
Think of a family with 3 kids, posing on the stairs for a picture with the oldest on the lowest step, the middle child in the middle, and the youngest on the highest step. You can position the kids on different places in the staircase, but they will always be the same kids in the family.

Learner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Seven more pieces.... Wow!

I think a lot of people go on to Piano Adventures 4 after finishing the Alfred Adult book 2. I know Blackjack did it, and it worked well for him..

Oops! Correction. That was BrianDX who went on to Piano Adventures after Alfred.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
B
B
Bumping up so we can get some more comments
Here is a question of curiosity.
Where are you in Alfred's 2 and do you plan to complete it or are you off to greener pastures? ha

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]

B
B
Hi Birdgolf, just wanted to reply. I am near the end of the book, working on the last four songs. Yes definitely plan to complete it. I have worked over a year and 1/2 on it. But sometimes I do get distracted and wander off to blues-'r pastures. I do like Meir Jazz, Rags, & Blues and I wouldn't mind investigating some of Mark Harrison's work. Keep up the good work. smile

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]

B
B
Hey! Any body out there learn Alfred's "Danny Boy" pages 138 & 139? How long did it take you?

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not up to that yet, but I love "Danny Boy" and can't wait till I get there. Is it difficult? I guess it is, or you wouldn't be asking. I'm still at the First Inversions. I've had the flu, and even now don't have the energy to sit and practice for more than a few minutes.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
B
B
Hi mom3gram. Hope you get over the flu quickly; it sure can be miserable. Uh! It looks like DB is going to take awhile because of one not being familiar with the key of Eb major and because the left hand is doing a little bit more than usual. Rh has some tricky fingering too. Spreading the fingers out. So no problem, just have to grind it out at a slow pace until I get it. I would guess it is early intermediate level or higher. On the plus side it is very beautiful. Later, BG

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hope to be in this group soon so I started reading thru the thread. Bumping it back to 1.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Thought I'd resurrect this thread now since I'll be working on a select and random group of the pieces in this Level 2 method book for limited time anyway...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Where is blackjack?

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

First section of Book 2 is a review of Book 1 - both theory and practice pieces - the most appealing of the latter so far are: a delightful original work by one of the Method's authors called "Light and Blue", a pleasant little version of "Morning Has Broken" with 4 different (and not too difficult) left hand accompaniment patterns to attempt, and a highly simplified and shortened but still slightly challenging version of a Joplin Ragtime piece called "Solace" (similar in all these respects to "The Entertainer" in Book 1) - also another likeable piece I'm currently wrestling with called "Festive Dance" which is a short, up-tempo "classical" style work.

I'm not attempting all of the pieces here - only those that have a musical appeal for me, and some of those that present new techniques...or new keys...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
"Festive Dance" is a relatively easy piece that has a "classical" sound and feel to it - it's an enjoyable piece that one can have a lot of satisfaction in playing well - it consists of 2 distinctive 8 measure sections with a D.C. al Fine at the end of the 2nd section - a nice added touch here is to repeat the last measure of the 2nd section before returning to the beginning and do so ritardando, then start the 1st measure in section 1 a little slower than indicated, gradually picking up the tempo - make the last chord at Fine short and sharp and loud. This is more fun than a beginning level pianist should be allowed to have!

John

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I enjoyed this one also, although I never was able to speed it up.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
mom - you would probably find it rewarding to go back and re-do this particular piece - it's a real "vacation" from more complex studies...

John

"Intro and Dance" in the Review Section is another really fun piece - it's based on an old folk song and has a lot of musical interest - it's in 2 parts: a slower, softer "intro" section, which leads into a faster, louder "dance" section - which can be repeated 3 or 4 times if desired - when you get it under your fingers it's a blast...

It was the basis for the pop song "Those Were the Days" decades ago, videos of which are on YT.

John

Page 186 of 190 1 2 184 185 186 187 188 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission