Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
NAMM 2018
-------------------
Forums With A View!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
96 registered members (7uturu, agraffe, Alexjr1543, 1960 Sohmer, Akaitsuki, 20 invisible), 877 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#2714027 - 02/13/18 03:18 PM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: TimR]  
Gary D. Online content
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Online Content
6000 Post Club Member

South Florida
Originally Posted by TimR
Originally Posted by Gary D.

Because people enjoy playing wrong. It's more fun for them to continue messing things up, over and over again, than to get things right. This is INSTANTLY fixed for those of us who perform, because it does not work. I call it, "Let's pretend." Even my young students get it when I explain, and they even laugh. In their minds they are playing the music, and it is wonderful. Maybe they even have people applauding, in their minds.

I think maybe hearing what you really sound like is a skill that must be developed, and that's not an easy process.

Tim, at the risk of sounding snarky, I have to say: It is 2017. It has never been easier for any of us to record ourselves. So why do people do it so infrequently?

Answer: they don't like the truth.

People can say, "I just can't play anything well when I record. I play much better when I don't record."

And so on.

The excuses are limitless.

There is no faster reality check than recording, and it doesn't have to be a long recording, or a whole piece. It can be one section.

I started recording myself when I was quite young, and at that time it was way way WAY harder to do it. All of my important performances were recorded.

It's easy to tell yourself that you are better than you actually are when there is no evidence of your true level.

Last edited by Gary D.; 02/13/18 03:19 PM.

Piano Teacher
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2714038 - 02/13/18 03:40 PM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: Gary D.]  
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Finland

Because people enjoy playing wrong. It's more fun for them to continue messing things up, over and over again, than to get things right. This is INSTANTLY fixed for those of us who perform, because it does not work. I call it, "Let's pretend." Even my young students get it when I explain, and they even laugh. In their minds they are playing the music, and it is wonderful. Maybe they even have people applauding, in their minds.

I think maybe hearing what you really sound like is a skill that must be developed, and that's not an easy process.

Tim, at the risk of sounding snarky, I have to say: It is 2017.

I think you may have missed something grin

But seriously, now that I know how much work it requires to make yourself sound even decent, maybe for some adults daydreaming with the piano on their own is indeed the better option... Interestingly both of my friends described above can read notation even if not playing "correctly" and have learned that on their piano lessons. So were the lessons a waste of time for them?

#2714290 - 02/14/18 02:36 PM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: Gary D.]  
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Virginia, USA

Tim, at the risk of sounding snarky, I have to say: It is 2017. It has never been easier for any of us to record ourselves. So why do people do it so infrequently?

Answer: they don't like the truth..

It is painful to be forced to confront the reality sometimes! I agree. That's most of the reason we don't like to record.

But I think there is also something about learning to hear. I use the recorder partly to try to calibrate my ear and improve listening.

Last night I was recording parts of a practice session, playing a short phrase, listening, repeating. You nailed it about technology, by the way. I have an H2 plugged into a laptop running Audacity, the output goes into a stereo amplifier and good speakers. I can replay instantly from any point. In the old days with a reel to reel? Even a phone is better. It might not catch nuances of tone but it is accurate on pitch and rhythm.

There was a slurred section that sounded smooth and connected to my ear and sloppy/smeary to the recording. The recording does not lie, but the ear has not always yet been trained to catch things. Repeating the section improves the execution, but hopefully also the connection to the ear. Some people already have that connection, I have to work at it.

gotta go practice
#2714317 - 02/14/18 05:11 PM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: 8 Octaves]  
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Opus_Maximus  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Regarding the original question of why not only taking kids:

In my case it's simply a matter of enjoying variety in my studio; I enjoy teaching kids, but there are only so many hours a week I can stand to talk in cutesy-baby voices, be diplomatic with parents, play traffic cop for not practicing, or post stickers; etc. Sometimes I need the medium of mature adult conversation as a creative release. (Vice Versa for if I only had to deal with adults and their issues).

Last edited by Opus_Maximus; 02/14/18 05:12 PM.
#2714343 - 02/14/18 08:39 PM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: Gary D.]  
DFSRN Offline
DFSRN  Offline

Virginia
My teacher recommends to record myself. I am finishing up my 4th year of lessons. I just use my recorder on my phone for audio. I wait until it is pretty good and then I can tell with the recording what I need to practice more. It is a benefit to record so easily.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
#2714434 - 02/15/18 03:20 AM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: outo]  
Gary D. Online content
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Online Content
6000 Post Club Member

South Florida
Originally Posted by outo

Sorry to be dense. What did I miss?

But seriously, now that I know how much work it requires to make yourself sound even decent, maybe for some adults daydreaming with the piano on their own is indeed the better option...

There are different degrees of daydreaming. But don't get used to doing it if you want to play in front of other people and care about the result.

Interestingly both of my friends described above can read notation even if not playing "correctly" and have learned that on their piano lessons. So were the lessons a waste of time for them?

You'd have to ask them.

Would you be content to play like them? Do you like what they are accomplishing?

Are they happy now? Will they be happy 5 years from now? Ten?

Piano Teacher
#2714436 - 02/15/18 03:32 AM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: TimR]  
Gary D. Online content
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Online Content
6000 Post Club Member

South Florida

Answer: they don't like the truth..

It is painful to be forced to confront the reality sometimes! I agree. That's most of the reason we don't like to record.

But I think there is also something about learning to hear. I use the recorder partly to try to calibrate my ear and improve listening.

Last night I was recording parts of a practice session, playing a short phrase, listening, repeating. You nailed it about technology, by the way. I have an H2 plugged into a laptop running Audacity, the output goes into a stereo amplifier and good speakers. I can replay instantly from any point. In the old days with a reel to reel? Even a phone is better. It might not catch nuances of tone but it is accurate on pitch and rhythm.

There was a slurred section that sounded smooth and connected to my ear and sloppy/smeary to the recording. The recording does not lie, but the ear has not always yet been trained to catch things. Repeating the section improves the execution, but hopefully also the connection to the ear. Some people already have that connection, I have to work at it.

Tim, in all the years I recorded myself, or was recorded (at my request), never once did the results match what I expected even close to 100%.

Brass players, like singers, hear themselves with a completely different sound from what everyone else hears. It's a bit like recording your voice. After awhile you realize that what you really sound like is not what you hear in a recording. You may eventually come to like the real sound of your voice, but it will never sound like what vibrates through your head to your ears. And the same thing happens when we play brass, the frankly I think usually the recorded sound is better, unlike a speaking voice.

So recording is an amazing learning tool, and we need to realize that before recording no one knew what that difference is. The greatest singers in the world did not know what other people heard. Or brass players.

And, by the way, this is why "vocal masturbation" is a term you will hear in voice studios. It means that you feel an amazing resonance in your own body as you sing, but it does not have much to do with how your sound is projected, and projection is about 90% of the game for great singers.

Now, think about the piano. The greatest pianists in the world never knew for sure what their audiences heard. They only knew what they heard, as they heard other players on stage, as they were listening many feet away.

If you are sitting on stage, playing a 9 foot grand, you hear everything "up close and personal". That doesn't tell you what someone out in the audience is hearing. You don't hear the hall acoustics, the bounce, the reverb. And without recordings, you are forced to trust feedback about what is actually getting out there.

But today's pianists, because they all record, know what the microphones pick up, and even in studio recordings there is a process that tried to duplicate the spaciousness of a hall.

Old masters were aware of all this on some level, again, because they heard it happen to others, but they always had to guess exactly what their playing really sounded like, many feet away. Today a player records, listens to the recording, and is continually flipping back and forth between what he hears, sitting at the piano, and what everyone else hears, which is all that really matters. And he can decide if he wants to heard as if the listener is sitting next to him, or 20 feet away.

Recording is horrible at first, because it never sounds like what you think it will sound like. It's the feeling of something almost random that is vexing. But over time what you hear on playback is just different. Often it is worse. Pitch is worse. Things are muddy that you think are clean.

But other things can be way better.

It's just different.

Students need to learn this, then become comfortable with it.

I had to save money to buy a real to real tape recorder. Recording was hard. Today anyone with a tablet can start doing it.

Last edited by Gary D.; 02/15/18 03:38 AM.

Piano Teacher
#2714498 - 02/15/18 09:12 AM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: 8 Octaves]  
pianoMom2006 Offline
pianoMom2006  Offline

Just as a note we use Music Memos on the iPhone to record my son. It's a free app and it's super easy for those that literally just want to record.

Yamaha G2
#2714561 - 02/15/18 12:54 PM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: Gary D.]  
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Finland

Sorry to be dense. What did I miss?

The new years eve smile

But seriously, now that I know how much work it requires to make yourself sound even decent, maybe for some adults daydreaming with the piano on their own is indeed the better option...

There are different degrees of daydreaming. But don't get used to doing it if you want to play in front of other people and care about the result.

I wouldn't...

Interestingly both of my friends described above can read notation even if not playing "correctly" and have learned that on their piano lessons. So were the lessons a waste of time for them?

You'd have to ask them.

Would you be content to play like them? Do you like what they are accomplishing?

Are they happy now? Will they be happy 5 years from now? Ten?

I would not be happy to play like that. But my other friend has taken lessons even longer than me (so few more than 5 years) and still seems to be quite happy to go on the same way.

#2714765 - 02/16/18 07:54 AM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: outo]  
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Virginia, USA

I would not be happy to play like that. But my other friend has taken lessons even longer than me (so few more than 5 years) and still seems to be quite happy to go on the same way.

I have a relative who has probably taken lessons about 8 years now, somewhere in that neighborhood, from a music store. Judging from what I see on his piano when I visit, he is still in beginner books but is much further along, there are lots more notes than there used to be.

He can play much harder pieces than formerly. But. I have yet to hear him play anything fluently, even the simplest.

gotta go practice
#2714793 - 02/16/18 10:15 AM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: TimR]  
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

... I have a relative who has probably taken lessons about 8 years now ... Judging from what I see on his piano ... He can play much harder pieces than formerly. But. I have yet to hear him play anything fluently, even the simplest.

When I decided to re-start piano, this is what I noticed when I visited several teachers and schools. There's a trap where many people take years of piano lessons and end up as a 'very good student'. They can play the crap out of advanced pieces, but somewhere along the line someone forgot to show them how to be a 'musician'.

Sometimes it is the teacher's fault, but many times it's also the fault of the student or the parents. They settle for the easier path of just reading and memorizing the notes rather than do the harder work to develop proper musicianship skills.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
#2714816 - 02/16/18 11:47 AM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: Groove On]  
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Groove On
Sometimes it is the teacher's fault, but many times it's also the fault of the student or the parents. They settle for the easier path of just reading and memorizing the notes rather than do the harder work to develop proper musicianship skills.

How do you develop musicianship skills? What is the anatomy of these musicianship skills, their components? If a teacher is giving them and the student is ignoring the guidance, then it is a student problem. But supposing a teacher says "Play with more feeling." - can one do anything with that?

I already have an idea of some of the elements that would be involved. But before I write anything, I'd be interested in how you and others see this. smile If your teacher has been giving you musicianship skills, are you able to pinpoint some of them, or get close to how it is being done?

#2714873 - 02/16/18 03:27 PM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: keystring]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Groove On

How do you develop musicianship skills? What is the anatomy of these musicianship skills, their components? If a teacher is giving them and the student is ignoring the guidance, then it is a student problem. But supposing a teacher says "Play with more feeling." - can one do anything with that?

I already have an idea of some of the elements that would be involved. But before I write anything, I'd be interested in how you and others see this. smile If your teacher has been giving you musicianship skills, are you able to pinpoint some of them, or get close to how it is being done?

My teacher certainly tries to give me musicianship skills. smile Some of the actual mechanics include articulation to bring out (for example) the melody. Another skill would be playing into the keys and lifting to bring out dynamics and articulation. Another is awareness of the 'shape' of the piece, of (for example) sequences or an ascending or descending bass line and how those things might dictate articulation and/or dynamics. These are just a few examples.

I understand these things on an intellectual level, but can't always--yet--pull them off physically.

[Linked Image]
#2714894 - 02/16/18 04:55 PM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: 8 Octaves]  
bennevis Online content
bennevis  Online Content

Musicianship on the piano can only develop with a combination of sufficient technical skills and a lot of listening - dedicated listening to great music, and I don't just mean piano music.

For instance, Chopin exhorted his pupils to listen to a lot of bel canto opera by the likes of Bellini and Donizetti. Why? Because his melodies are deep-rooted in bel canto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg4L5tcxFcA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb4VY8gYZt4

How can anyone understand Mozart without knowing his operas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U37SB4i54JU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIW_2VObIsA

Without the technical means (e.g. finger independence to project the melody and voice the underlying chords, articulate and phrase etc), one cannot realize one's musical skills; without musical skills, the pianist will just rattle off the notes uncomprehendingly and unfeelingly and think he's doing a good job because all the notes are correct and in the right order. Or he might just imitate his teacher blindly and play like a clone because he doesn't know anything else.

I credit most of my musicianship to listening - initially to my first teacher playing for me in my home country (when she was my only regular source of classical music) and then to BBC Radio 3 when I moved to the UK, and heard a huge and diverse range of music for the first time with erudite commentaries from presenters, as well as educational programs like Antony Hopkins's Listening to Music. And all for free.......(and these days, there's even more stuff like these which can be accessed at any time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09m8hp6).

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
#2714922 - 02/16/18 05:57 PM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: 8 Octaves]  
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Thank you Stubbie and Bennevis. That is the point that I was trying to make.

A student can't just "make an effort" to develop musicianship or play more musically, and if he's not achieving it, he "hasn't tried hard enough". The teacher plays a role. If you are to bring out a voice, or you could make a passage expressive through a bit of rubato, then you also need to know how to physically bring out that voice, and now to manipulate timing without destroying pulse. Similarly, simply trying to "listen harder" without knowing what to listen for or to hear it, will probably not bring the student far.

#2714976 - 02/17/18 01:06 AM Re: Adult vs Child Students [Re: 8 Octaves]  
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Finland
Certainly for good musicianship limiting oneself to practice only on the piano is not enough. Many years of singing greatly has helped me on making music on the piano. And singing is still part of my process of learning pieces. At the same time one cannot rely on the general musical understanding only on the piano but must understand the instrument and how it behaves. That to me is technique in addition to developing the physical ability to move the right keys in the right time. Since the thread was about child vs adult, to start on the piano in adulthood without any prior musical experiences must be something quite different. How do piano teachers handle that with maybe an hour a week with the student is a very good question.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Issue 100
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sennheiser HD 600 Headphones?
by Piano World. 02/22/18 07:14 PM
Has Cadenza Consistency Improved?
by Justoneguy. 02/22/18 03:03 PM
Adilia Alieva International Piano Competition
by Piano World. 02/22/18 02:22 PM
"C" hammer??
by Sanfrancisco. 02/22/18 01:01 PM
Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th
by Chili_Time. 02/22/18 12:56 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics184,398
Posts2,698,321
Members89,668
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission