Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
112 registered members (ahumdrumoflife, ando, anotherscott, Aves, anamnesis, akc42, 7uturu, 26 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Some teachers'... interesting views [Re: Pogorelich.] #2714267
02/14/18 01:28 PM
02/14/18 01:28 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by DFSRN
Nervous Wreck you stated, "Why the heck should my end goal be to play better than my classmate." This should not be the goal. In life you can only be the best you can be. I have never focused on being better than anyone else, my focus is me and what I can do. I try not to compare myself, we are all unique. The competition is within your self, doing better then you do before, just being the best you can be.

Even further, why not make the focus music? After all, that's the most important. Not our egos, or who's better, etc. That's always so, so insipid and destructive. I've read a lot of posts by the OP and, they all have something in common - it seems like he's forgetting the point of being in music... it's music... So, dig yourself of whatever hole you're in, and get back to work.
Well said !! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Some teachers'... interesting views [Re: Pogorelich.] #2714288
02/14/18 03:25 PM
02/14/18 03:25 PM
Vancouver, B.C.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Vancouver, B.C.
Even further, why not make the focus music? After all, that's the most important. Not our egos, or who's better, etc. That's always so, so insipid and destructive. I've read a lot of posts by the OP and, they all have something in common - it seems like he's forgetting the point of being in music... it's music... So, dig yourself of whatever hole you're in, and get back to work.

Comment of the year!

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Re: Some teachers'... interesting views [Re: Vid] #2714345
02/14/18 09:46 PM
02/14/18 09:46 PM
Virginia
D
DFSRN Offline
DFSRN  Offline
D
Virginia
Vid, nicely stated. If we strive to be better than someone else we are doing something for the wrong reason. For example winning the Gold does it really mean you are better than that person, or you did your personal best that day? The competition lies within. If you worry about what someone else does (you cannot control), you will never really be the best you can be, because you will be preoccupied.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Re: Some teachers'... interesting views [Re: Pogorelich.] #2714364
02/14/18 10:46 PM
02/14/18 10:46 PM
Ohio
M
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member
MikeN  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Ohio
Nervous Wreck you stated, "Why the heck should my end goal be to play better than my classmate." This should not be the goal. In life you can only be the best you can be. I have never focused on being better than anyone else, my focus is me and what I can do. I try not to compare myself, we are all unique. The competition is within your self, doing better then you do before, just being the best you can be.

This is true Pogorelich, but I think we also have to consider how disturbing it is for someone to so openly post what I at least would consider private matters on a public and highly visible forum. Sure we could argue it's more of an egotistical move, but I'd be more likely to imagine the OP is feeling rather isolated if this is where they're flocking to. Let's not forget that it's human beings who create the music and not the other way around, thus I think we have to prioritize people over the creation process. I think the best we can really do in a situation like this is provide support even though none of us can really fill the place of a close friend and confident which is what the think the OP really needs.

Once again, as someone who's had a close relationship with people singing similar tunes, this is pretty hard for me to watch...

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Some teachers'... interesting views [Re: MikeN] #2714479
02/15/18 08:45 AM
02/15/18 08:45 AM
not somewhere over the rainbow
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Pogorelich.  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
not somewhere over the rainbow
Originally Posted by MikeN

This is true Pogorelich, but I think we also have to consider how disturbing it is for someone to so openly post what I at least would consider private matters on a public and highly visible forum. Sure we could argue it's more of an egotistical move, but I'd be more likely to imagine the OP is feeling rather isolated if this is where they're flocking to. Let's not forget that it's human beings who create the music and not the other way around, thus I think we have to prioritize people over the creation process. I think the best we can really do in a situation like this is provide support even though none of us can really fill the place of a close friend and confident which is what the think the OP really needs.

Once again, as someone who's had a close relationship with people singing similar tunes, this is pretty hard for me to watch...

Definitely agree, yes.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Re: Some teachers'... interesting views [Re: NervousWreck123] #2716388
02/22/18 12:16 PM
02/22/18 12:16 PM
Estonia
N
NervousWreck123 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
NervousWreck123  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
N
Estonia
Hi again, guys!

I'm sorry I didn't reply to all of your comments earlier; I've been extremely busy. But you have made me think of some things the right way, and have reminded me of some things I've forgotten... maybe I will consider changing my teacher next year, but maybe not. We just haven't had many lessons yet... he's super busy and travels around all the time. I've mostly been working on my own, getting around 2-3 lessons per month on average. Maybe I just have to learn to understand him better.

The reason I was so stressed out when writing this thread (and still am TBH), Is that tomorrow, I will be performing in the first round of basically the most stressful competition of my life so far. A TV competition - in 7 rounds - Broadcast live on the estonian national TV. Live. And Tomorrow is the "virtuoso" round, Where all 8 of us will be performing a very difficult, approx. 3 minute piece or segment on live TV. I'll be playing the Stretta Vivace from Liszt's 12th rhapsody. I'm very well prepared, but still nervous as heck. I don't want to imagine what it's going to be like tomorrow.

Not only that... but the past few weeks have been filled with stressful radio interviews, photoshoots and video shoots that last an entire day... and it has all been super tiring.

I sadly won't be writing on this forum very much until the competition ends in april, due to the fact that for the next month and a half, all that I'll be doing all day long is either sitting behind the piano, being in the TV building or travelling around doing all sorts of shoots. But thanks so much again guys, so many of you here have been very very helpful and supportive to me and I'm very glad to be a part of such an online community!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Check Out Our Newsletter!
Our August 2018 Free Newsletter for Piano Enthusiasts is here now, check it out!
Piano World Newsletter
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
La fille aux cheveux de lin C.A. Debussy
by Fornion. 08/16/18 09:11 AM
A MILLION DREAMS - Solo Piano Cover
by Handyman. 08/16/18 08:42 AM
In search of Barenboim's sound.
by PianoStartsAt33. 08/16/18 06:51 AM
Adjustable Stool Recommendations
by DavidWB. 08/16/18 01:28 AM
Best way to accept credit / debit card payments
by RyanThePianist. 08/15/18 09:38 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,918
Posts2,739,097
Members90,780
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission