Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
NAMM 2018
-------------------
Forums With A View!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
118 registered members (ando, bennevis, agraffe, Beakybird, 30 invisible), 926 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2713721 - 02/12/18 12:44 PM Re: Struggling with Bach Invention 13 [Re: sinophilia]  
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Italy
Playing any Bach piece for an exam sounds like a nightmare to me! I tried to play one at the piano party in Milan and have since removed all Bach from my potential recital pieces eek

But I still think that Bach is good for me, and that I will understand him one day. The sinfonia in g minor is indeed difficult - I've only listened to it, analysed it, and read through the first few bars for now - but for some reason it looks like my kind of difficulty (more musical than technical, more brain than fingers, as outo said). I'm pretty sure that it will still take me forever.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2713736 - 02/12/18 01:58 PM Re: Struggling with Bach Invention 13 [Re: sinophilia]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Bach's French Suites are another possibility. I played about half of the Two-Part Inventions and found them helpful for technique but never easy. The Suites have been more enjoyable to learn and play (learning some of the Inventions first certainly helped). The difficulty level varies quite a bit amongst the pieces in each suite, so you can pick and choose the ones you want to play.

[Linked Image]
#2713753 - 02/12/18 03:35 PM Re: Struggling with Bach Invention 13 [Re: sinophilia]  
PeterSim Offline
PeterSim  Offline

San Francisco East Bay
Sinophilia, I'm also struggling a bit with this piece....playing all the inventions this year and was beating a retreat from #14 and thought I'd do this "easy" one. Hah! I played it when I was young and that's part of the problem...I have older fingerings that I want to lose and do my new fingerings but even after 30 years they are still there. For me, the problem with these pieces is all fingering. There's so many ways to approach things, esp. in this piece. Static hand as much as possible, or walking down the keyboard. In Invention 14, I'd find a new, "better" fingering almost every day! It's often hard for me to sort if I like a fingering because it avoids a weakness of mine (l.h. 4th and 5th fingers in certain situations)...when I should be USING those fingering that use those fingers so I get over my avoidance. Ad when you can't really settle on fingerings, your mind just gets so confused. I think what is really important to remember is that your brain is great at learning, terrible at unlearning. So we need to try really hard to get the fingerings right from the git-go, and play VERY slowly to iron them in. What I found to be odd is that, once I can play a passage securely with one fingering, suddenly it doesn't matter what fingering I use, I can substitute at will! More proof that most of it is in your mind...meaning doubt and cross-thought is the enemy.
I think you are kinda stuck right now. My advice to you, for the $.01 it is worth, is to play at a very very slow tempo what you can WITHOUT ANY MISTAKES a very few times. Then drop it. Don't play it at all. Come back in a few days, or a week, or whenever. You may find it much easier to start again. The idea is to leave with a success, and begin anew with a refreshed mind.

#2713918 - 02/13/18 07:33 AM Re: Struggling with Bach Invention 13 [Re: sinophilia]  
sinophilia Offline

sinophilia  Offline

Italy
I just had a look at Bernhard's list of Inventions again, it's grouped by difficulty/pattern, and I noticed how different it is from the Henle and ABRSM/RCM grading.

1. C major, BWV 772 Henle 3, ABRSM 5, RCM 7
4. D minor, BWV 775 Henle 3
7. E minor, BWV 778 Henle 3/4

8. F major, BWV 779 Henle 3/4, ABRSM 5, RCM 7
10. G major, BWV 781 Henle 4, RCM 8
13. A minor, BWV 784 Henle 4, ABRSM 6, RCM 8

15. B minor, BWV 786 Henle 4
14. Bb major, BWV 785 Henle 3/4, ABRSM 6
12. A major, BWV 783 Henle 4

6. E major, BWV 777 Henle 3
11. G minor, BWV 782 Henle 3/4
9. F minor, BWV 780 Henle 3/4
5. Eb major, BWV 776 Henle 3/4
3. D major, BWV 774 Henle 3/4
2. C minor, BWV 773 Henle 4

Number 13 is Henle 4, and that must mean something. Actually I struggled a lot with no. 1, which is supposedly the easiest one, but I had only been playing for two years at the time. Then last year I learnt no. 4 pretty quickly, so now maybe I should try the only remaining Henle 3 invention, i.e. no. 6. And/or go on with the sinfonia or a French suite movement as some of you suggested. I have the "First Lessons in Bach" book, and while I studied all the pieces in part I, I have yet to tackle part II, which includes several movements from French and English suites and is considered preparatory for the inventions. It's a bit depressing that a "first lessons" book is actually made up of pieces from grade 2 up to grade 5 or 6.

To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2713992 - 02/13/18 12:47 PM Re: Struggling with Bach Invention 13 [Re: sinophilia]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by sinophilia
I just had a look at Bernhard's list of Inventions again, it's grouped by difficulty/pattern, and I noticed how different it is from the Henle and ABRSM/RCM grading.

1. C major, BWV 772 Henle 3, ABRSM 5, RCM 7
4. D minor, BWV 775 Henle 3
7. E minor, BWV 778 Henle 3/4

8. F major, BWV 779 Henle 3/4, ABRSM 5, RCM 7
10. G major, BWV 781 Henle 4, RCM 8
13. A minor, BWV 784 Henle 4, ABRSM 6, RCM 8

15. B minor, BWV 786 Henle 4
14. Bb major, BWV 785 Henle 3/4, ABRSM 6
12. A major, BWV 783 Henle 4

6. E major, BWV 777 Henle 3
11. G minor, BWV 782 Henle 3/4
9. F minor, BWV 780 Henle 3/4
5. Eb major, BWV 776 Henle 3/4
3. D major, BWV 774 Henle 3/4
2. C minor, BWV 773 Henle 4

Number 13 is Henle 4, and that must mean something. Actually I struggled a lot with no. 1, which is supposedly the easiest one, but I had only been playing for two years at the time. Then last year I learnt no. 4 pretty quickly, so now maybe I should try the only remaining Henle 3 invention, i.e. no. 6. And/or go on with the sinfonia or a French suite movement as some of you suggested. I have the "First Lessons in Bach" book, and while I studied all the pieces in part I, I have yet to tackle part II, which includes several movements from French and English suites and is considered preparatory for the inventions. It's a bit depressing that a "first lessons" book is actually made up of pieces from grade 2 up to grade 5 or 6.

It seems to me that the distinction between Henle difficulty level 3 and level 4 probably isn't enough to make your choices obvious. Henle gives a difficulty rating of 5 for the French Suites, so how they fit in a First Lessons book as preparatory for the Inventions is less than clear, at least based on difficulty. (My own impression is that many of the French Suites are Invention-ish in style, and that is how they might serve as preparatory to the Inventions.)

The Inventions are something that can and perhaps ought to be revisited several times over the years. My teacher tells the story about how her teacher took her through the Inventions and when my teacher had finally made it through, she heaved a big sigh of relief. Her teacher then announced that it was time to start them again. I think there was a third time as well. The point being that you get something from them each time as your skills and experience grow.

[Linked Image]
#2713995 - 02/13/18 01:01 PM Re: Struggling with Bach Invention 13 [Re: sinophilia]  
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Finland
The Henle difficulty rating seems to be more directed to advanced pianists, and is not very useful for students imo.

#2714003 - 02/13/18 01:43 PM Re: Struggling with Bach Invention 13 [Re: sinophilia]  
sinophilia Offline

sinophilia  Offline

Italy
I found the Henle rating useful for Schumann, Chopin, and some other things I've learned, but it has to be considered in perspective - their "middle" difficulty group, levels 4 to 6, includes ton of late intermediate and advanced pieces, and if they classify something as difficult, one can pretty much forget about it laugh

While it's probably a long shot to try to learn an entire French or English suite, some of their movements are ABRSM grade 4 or 5, so very well worth a try. Just not gigues!

#2714012 - 02/13/18 02:26 PM Re: Struggling with Bach Invention 13 [Re: sinophilia]  
Vid Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, B.C.
While it's probably a long shot to try to learn an entire French or English suite, some of their movements are ABRSM grade 4 or 5, so very well worth a try. Just not gigues!

Movements from the French Suites would be a nice progression from the inventions. The English suites with a few exceptions are more difficult.

Some of the little preludes also offer three part textures that are easier to manage than the sinfonias.

Kawai VPC1, Pianoteq, Galaxy Vintage D
#2714015 - 02/13/18 02:29 PM Re: Struggling with Bach Invention 13 [Re: sinophilia]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
.................While it's probably a long shot to try to learn an entire French or English suite, some of their movements are ABRSM grade 4 or 5, so very well worth a try. Just not gigues!
I'm working on a gigue now, and it's a real challenge. "Real challenge" is the family forum approved term. laugh

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Issue 100
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Has Cadenza Consistency Improved?
by Justoneguy. 02/22/18 03:03 PM
Adilia Alieva International Piano Competition
by Piano World. 02/22/18 02:22 PM
"C" hammer??
by Sanfrancisco. 02/22/18 01:01 PM
Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th
by Chili_Time. 02/22/18 12:56 PM
Looking at Used Yamaha GC1 - Looking for opinions
by ecstudier. 02/22/18 10:59 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics184,397
Posts2,698,275
Members89,666
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission