2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 302 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 301 302
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I
1. I can't really trigger a note if I strike a key exactly from the letoff; it maybe works for 1 in 10 keys? Is this normal for Kawai grands? It doesn't bother me, though I do note this behavior is almost *precisely* how my GF 1 action works and I always assumed it was some kind of oversight (because last I tried I could trigger notes on other acoustic grands, and Kawai changed this behavior for GF2).

This is similar to the AG. I was unable to play a note from the point of escapement. It would not sound. Its possible that the optical sensors are set at a level where a trigger at the point of escapement does not create any tone. On the Kawai grand pianos, it is easy to trigger a tone from the point of escapement.

One question I have is if you know if the length of the pivot point is the same as that on the SK-EX concert grand? On the AG, I believe reading somewhere the key length is equal to their 5 ft 3 grand piano.

Last edited by Grandman; 02/08/18 07:52 PM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Last night I thought it would be a good idea to show my 4yo a nifty little feature of the NV-10: Bluetooth audio playback. I'm sure Kawai intended it so you could playback full orchestral concertos while blissfully playing along on the piano section. But now, my instrument is pretty much the world's most overqualified bluetooth speaker. It's spent most of the day blaring out My Little Pony and Frozen, at quite high volumes. There's also singing along involved smile

I'm pretty sure the wife isn't super enthused about this development, but I've decided not to bring it up...

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Last night I thought it would be a good idea to show my 4yo a nifty little feature of the NV-10: Bluetooth audio playback. I'm sure Kawai intended it so you could playback full orchestral concertos while blissfully playing along on the piano section. But now, my instrument is pretty much the world's most overqualified bluetooth speaker. It's spent most of the day blaring out My Little Pony and Frozen, at quite high volumes. There's also singing along involved smile

The bumper issue of Pianist Magazine (click the ad on the right side of this forum) contains an intermediate-level arrangement-of "Let It Go" for piano, so you still have the option to play along. laugh

Yamaha P-515
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Haha, you seem to know my kid well! Let It Go was the first piece I learned after coming back to piano, but I jumped straight into a fairly advanced arrangement that made my return....not efficient! I've since learned my limitations (a bit) smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Regarding the USB ground loop, I seem to recall reading a post from PianoWorld VIP voxpops a few years ago, in which he used a transparent cable, located the ground wire, and successfully severed the connection using a craft knife.

This is not something that I would recommend as a Kawai employee, but voxpops claimed it did the trick, and stopped the hum.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Regarding the USB ground loop, I seem to recall reading a post from PianoWorld VIP voxpops a few years ago, in which he used a transparent cable, located the ground wire, and successfully severed the connection using a craft knife.

This is not something that I would recommend as a Kawai employee, but voxpops claimed it did the trick, and stopped the hum.

Kind regards,
James
x

Ah, thanks for the tip James! I used to be quite into DIY drones, and I've spent a lot of time slicing up USB cable housings and strain reliefs in order to save a few grams and gain a few seconds flight time. So I should be able to do this mod (though I've just paid $45 for a dongle that, from what I've read, does exactly what you just described).

Also, I've followed JoBert's lead and disregarded James' prudent warning to take off the fallboard (of course) laugh

Just confirming that it seems the pivot length on the NV-10 is pretty much 10 1/4" (26.0cm) on the nose (as measured from C4).

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gombessa; 02/08/18 10:41 PM.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I believe this is a first for a digital piano: easy access to the action. This approach could prove beneficial for both Kawai and the end user because it seems that many issues with Kawai wooden actions are usually easily corrected by making minute adjustments to specific keys. Anything from clacking noises to stuck keys can potentially be solved by the user with some guidance from Kawai; therefore, avoiding a visit from a technician who would usually end up spending half an hour removing screws (and all sorts of other things), and two seconds adjusting the offending pin or misbehaving felt.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Question (probably for Kawai James):

My NV-10 came with a Kawai USB stick, with a single file on it - CAx8Lapp.SYS. From the CA78/98 update posted (PDF), this matches one of the three update files for those DPs. But I didn't get any instructions on whether I should attempt an update with this single file? The NV-10 looks like it already has software version 1.0.2 installed.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
I believe this is a first for a digital piano: easy access to the action. This approach could prove beneficial for both Kawai and the end user because it seems that many issues with Kawai wooden actions are usually easily corrected by making minute adjustments to specific keys. Anything from clacking noises to stuck keys can potentially be solved by the user with some guidance from Kawai; therefore, avoiding a visit from a technician who would usually end up spending half an hour removing screws (and all sorts of other things), and two seconds adjusting the offending pin or misbehaving felt.

You can get to the action just as easy with the Avant Grand N2 - the fallboard easily comes off. Since we are measuring "sticks", it's 9 1/4 inches for the N2 laugh

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

You can get to the action just as easy with the Avant Grand N2 - the fallboard easily comes off. Since we are measuring "sticks", it's 9 1/4 inches for the N2 laugh

Interesting! Is that for end of white key to pivot measurement?

Thanks
Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Osho

Interesting! Is that for end of white key to pivot measurement?

Thanks
Osho

Yes, same way as Gombessa measured it.

Last edited by bSharp(C)yclist; 02/09/18 12:22 AM.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Interesting! Thanks for the info bSharp!

1) 9.25" is just shy of Grand Feel/Grand Feel 2's 9.5" pivot. Essentially identical.

2) When I tried the AvantGrands I really felt that the pivots seemed short. But the pivot is nearly identical to the DP I normally play, so clearly I was wrong on that point. It could just be because the action was stiffer than I was expecting.

I feel I should give the AG series another shake just to be fair. It's just too bad that hybrids are such rare creatures.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
G
G
Question (probably for Kawai James):

My NV-10 came with a Kawai USB stick, with a single file on it - CAx8Lapp.SYS. From the CA78/98 update posted (PDF), this matches one of the three update files for those DPs. But I didn't get any instructions on whether I should attempt an update with this single file? The NV-10 looks like it already has software version 1.0.2 installed.

Even if it would match the NV10 I can not recommend this update. To many critical bugs in that software version: invisible volume button whilst playback ok f USB files. Loud hissing noise whilst playback of Bloothaudio, system crashes specially when plugging I n headphones or audio playback...

Alex

Hello Gombessa,

Software updates for the NV10 will be handled a little differently to the CA98/CA78. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the USB stick (although it does contain one of the LCD update files, as you note - perhaps your dealer updated the instrument before delivering it to you, and accidentally included the USB stick?), however I recommend that you contact Kawai America for assistance regarding software updates.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Thanks for the explanation of the noise Gombessa. I will be interested in hearing if the noise goes away after you get the device for it.

Thanks,
Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P

Given how “easily” the fallboard on the AvantGrand come off, why hadn’t it occurred thus far to anyone to have a go at it and measure the “sticks” (I know you’ve done it now). People around here have been going nuts as to whether the length is at baby grand level or else. All things considered, the Novus beats it in that department too.

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Just a short update:

I spent a very satisfying evening with my NV10 yesterday. I'm slowly getting used to the two physically awkward changes - the pedal being farther away and the music rest being higher up and also farther way - so those are getting less and less awkward (not fully "there" yet, though).

The action I've already gotten used to, and enjoy it very much.

And I'm also getting used to the different speaker sound character (compared to the CA97), but most of the evening I spent with headphones anyway, and there I really, really enjoyed the new sound engine very much. I wrote in my opening post that the new sound engine alone would not be a reason for me to pay the premium to upgrade from the CA97 to the CA98. But having it in addition to the other "upgrades" that the NV10 has over the CA97, makes me very happy. The pianist mode SK-EX is really another step above the SK-EX from the sound mode - and I already liked the latter very much. Especially regarding resonances, but also regarding clarity of the tone (these acoustic details are always difficult to describe - I may yet record a little comparison as an illustration).

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Given how “easily” the fallboard on the AvantGrand come off, why hadn’t it occurred thus far to anyone to have a go at it and measure the “sticks” (I know you’ve done it now). People around here have been going nuts as to whether the length is at baby grand level or else. All things considered, the Novus beats it in that department too.

I don't know frown I didn't think to measure it until I saw your and Gombessa's post. I wish I could keep up and read everything that is posted on the forums here. I'd be more educated smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Hi Gombessa,

Congrats on your NV10 and thanks to everyone for these posts. They are very helpful. I can’t wait until I have a chance to test out one of these locally.

Regarding the noise you are experiencing, I have been full circle with this issue more than a few times in my studio. I know for certain I have no ground loops in my studio. The only thing that worked for me in my studio is connecting my computers to external, high quality audio interfaces via usb cables that have ferrites on them (https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...ays-to-remove-noise-from-usb-audio-cable). And then connecting the audio out of the audio interface into my main mixer.

I can’t tell you how many hours I have spent with this issue and the setup I describe above is the only thing that has worked for me. I believe the issue is with cross-talk between all of the components in the computer. I have four tower systems in my studio each connected to two usb keyboard controllers and each have their own audio interface that connect two stereo audio outputs to my main mixer. I have one additional workstation where I can’t use usb for the controllers at all. On that one I connect via standard midi that is available on the audio interface.

Finally, the only thing I really don’t care for with the VSTs (and I have pretty much all of them) is that the logic for the pedals is not that great which makes them a show stopper for me when it comes to a practice instrument. The Kawai, Yamaha and even the Casio GP-500/400 have better logic for the pedals IMHO.

I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck and thanks again to everyone for all this terrific info.

D
D
Hi JoBert, Hi Gombessa,

first let me thank you both very very much for your wonderful insights.

I own a Kawai CS 11 digital sitting in my apartment and a Kawai GX2 acoustic grand sitting in my house.

I am thinking about "upgrading" my CS11 to a Novus NV10.

I tried a CA98 in a shop (Novus not arrived yet) and compared sounds. Especially I was interested in the new pianist mode.

While there is a big difference between pianist mode and sound mode for the SK-EX with the standard settings, the difference nearly dissapeared for me when I set all the resonance settings in the virtual technician to about 8 in sound mode (like the Smart mode for the Virtual Technicion also does when you put it to high resonance). But in the store with all the noises it´s difficult to tell.

So my question is: Is there still a big difference for you between pianist mode (standard) and sound mode with higher resonance settings in the virtual technician (which is also available on the CS11)?

The real Millenium III action in the NV10 alone probably would not do it for me. I play the GF 2 action weekdays on the CS11 and the Millenium III action during weekends, so I know them both very well, and for me the GF 2 is so good (pretty similar in feel, but not exactly the same) that I have no difficulty switching.

Any answer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Last edited by danielp11; 02/09/18 09:31 AM.

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
Page 8 of 302 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission