2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
[quote][/quote]This is the BIGGEST question I had when I was first starting out piano. "How long is this gonna take?"

And when I'd ask teachers, they'd always just say... "it depends". And that's IT! And I HATED that answer, because it's kinda a cop out answer. It's not helpful at all, it just deflects the question instead of giving any kind of relevant information.

And I get it, because it does depend. But let's stop running away from the question and start putting some variables in for "it depends" so we have somewhat of an answer. So to do this, I suggest we break up piano into three categories:

1. Developing Solid Technique
2. Learning to Play by Ear
3. Learning Actual Songs

First we have to define what "good" means. As quantitatively as we can.

Then we'll break each down into a single statement of "IF you practice X minutes a day using Y practice routine you'll get good in Z weeks".

By the way, I'm getting this data from students who've followed the plan. So it isn't just random data or guesswork. If some of these numbers seem "too good to be true", I'll address that at the end of the article.

1. How Long Does it Take to Develop Solid Technique?

Ok, let's define this first. I'd consider SOLID technique as the ability to play all 12 major scales at 90 bpm, sixteenth notes.

Does that mean you've mastered technique and can play any song? Of course not. But I'd say at that level you definitely have solid technique.

On average, it takes about 12 weeks for a beginner to get to this level IF:

1. You practice 10 minutes a day, 5 to 6 days a week
2. You use Accelerated Techniques (like the Rhythms Strategy and Metronome Ramp Up)

By the way... skipping 5 days and then practicing 50 minutes on the 6th day is NOT the same as practicing 10 minutes a day for 5 days. It has to be 10 minutes every single day.

2. How Long Does it Take to Learn to Play By Ear?

Ok so for this, we have to define GOOD at playing by ear. I'd define it as the ability to learn a pop song by ear in about 10 minutes.

Again, this does not mean you've MASTERED playing by ear, but most people would be very happy to get to that level. So how long does it take?

IF you can already play songs hands together, it'll take you about 4 months to train your ear to this level. If you're a complete beginner, it'll take 6 months as you'll have to learn other skills like hands together coordination.

Again, the caveats are:

1. You have to practice 10 minutes a day, 5 to 6 days a week
2. You have to use Play by Ear Exercises that systematically train your ear

In other words, not "just listening to songs over and over, I learned that one the hard way. Tried it for months and didn't make much progress. Then I had my "Aural Skills" class in college and learned it in a semester.

3. How Long Does it Take to Get Good at Playing Actual Songs?

Ok, so this one's a little trickier to define. Because it REALLY depends on how hard the songs are. Mary had a little lamb is obviously a lot easier to learn than a Chopin Etude. And I know there are "rating numbers" for classical pieces, but lets be honest even within those there's a wide range of difficulty. And it doesn't include any other genres like Jazz or pop or blues. So here's my definition:

If a random person saw you playing piano, they would think "Wow, that guy/girl's GOOD at piano".

Not "Holy crap that's amazing can I get your autograph!!!". But they'd think you're good.

I know it's pretty qualitative, but it's the best I got. So how long does it take?

It takes about 6 months to get to this level at piano IF:

1. You practice 20 minutes a day, 5 to 6 days a week
2. You FOCUS on the "tricky" sections that need work instead of playing through the easy parts of the song

For those who say "It's too good to be true"...

Alright, this is my way of anticipating getting raked over the coals in the comments... because I know people are going to say "12 weeks to get good technique, this guy's a charlatan!" or some other BS.

Look, I've seen these results time and time again from students. The reason that a lot don't make it is they don't ACTUALLY follow all the little details. For example:

A lot of students will say "yea, I practiced every day this week". But when you ask them "ok, did you practice Monday? Did you practice Tuesday?... " ext, you'll find out they actually missed a lot of days.

Another big one is the time. Students will do 10 minutes "in their head" instead of starting an actual stopwatch to time their 10 minutes. I can tell you from experience after a couple weeks, that "10 minutes" starts slippin down to 7 minutes, 5 minutes, and even lower.

But if you follow the details, you can absolutely get there.

For those who say "yea, but everybody's different"...

It's true, we're all different, but we're not THAT different. And as long as you follow the plan, you'll get CLOSE to the expected results. For example, lets say there are two students, Amy and Jim. For Amy, Technique comes naturally to her and it only takes her 11 weeks to learn instead of 12. For Jim, Technique doesn't come naturally. But if he FOLLOWS the SYSTEM and the DETAILS, he'll still learn in 13 to 14 weeks. But it's NOT going to take him 24 weeks!

In other words, nobody's at a huge advantage or disadvantage. Even Mozart, who everybody proclaims as the "child genius" was actually that way because his dad mad him practice for 10 hours a day (look it up) not because he had some "magical gift from the heavens".

Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

Let me know what y'all think,

-Zach Evans

Last edited by casinitaly; 02/08/18 12:30 PM. Reason: if you want to advertise your business, please look at the options for advertising - it is not permitted in posts. Read the rules please.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
I only read statement number one, and found it to be lacking. Do you really consider developing good technique as only being able to play scales? This seems shortsighted, as it should be more than just scales but ‘playing the right note, at the right time musically . Wouldnt telling a beginning student that they will have good technique as long as they can play scales do them a disservice, and consequently they will have a good technique in six months? Bah. Very much too simplified.

If I were a beginning student, I would do exactly what you suggested and expect to have good technique at the end of the six months, and be very disillusioned when technique was lacking

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Are you selling something?

It takes as long as it takes...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
A lifetime.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
A lifetime.

+1

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
What Colin said! There is no formula.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
The link has been removed.

Please note that advertising in posts is not permitted. Read the rules.

If you are interested in advertising your business there are several options available - please check them out.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission