Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
96 registered members (anotherscott, Astropiano, Biff Steel, bennevis, AaronSF, ando, Agent88, AndyP, 22 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2714106
02/13/18 08:17 PM
02/13/18 08:17 PM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
Cool you have the AudioDirector, thought I was the only one! You'll do fine with it, I believe it can do most of what Audacity does. I don't have an acoustic piano, so I don't know what needs to be done after recording.

Maybe trim at the beginning and the end, the moments when people are preparing to play, and when people stop playing and reach out to turn the recording hardware off. Some might choose to normalize, even EQ a little, boost the bass and/or treble. All that can be done in AudioDirector.

Thanks for the link, hopefully Microsoft fixes these issues soon.

Last edited by TheodorN; 02/13/18 08:24 PM.

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: keystring] #2716964
02/24/18 07:04 PM
02/24/18 07:04 PM
So. Calif.
TomLC Online content
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Online Content
Gold Subscriber

So. Calif.
I need a camcorder that will accept a mic in from the DP so I can record both audio and video at the same time. Any suggestions? I would like one that doesn't cost more than my piano. It is just to send to my teacher, wants to see my hands.

Or how difficult is it to sync up a camcorder video with an MP3 file save to the laptop? I have tried with iMovie, and GarageBand. Much too difficult. I couldn't get it to work.

Last edited by TomLC; 02/24/18 07:55 PM.

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2717015
02/25/18 01:35 AM
02/25/18 01:35 AM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
Hi Tom,

What are you recording the video with now? Phone? You could use that and open the video up in Cyberlink PowerDirector, add the audio from the digital piano, and try to match up the audio waveform with the one recorded by the video. Then strip out the video's audio, and render a new video using the digital piano audio. I've been able to do that with Cyberlink. I've never used iMovie or GarageBand, so I can't speak to how they work.

I prefer to record straight into a camcorder, so I don't have to worry about lining up audio.

Last edited by bSharp(C)yclist; 02/25/18 01:35 AM.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2717087
02/25/18 09:59 AM
02/25/18 09:59 AM
So. Calif.
TomLC Online content
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Online Content
Gold Subscriber

So. Calif.
Hi Dan, yeah I agree with you. I think I can get a Canon with aux mike input for $185. I want to check Best Buy. I have not used my iPhone, only my MacBook. LIning up to the audio may be easy if you know what you are doing. I have wasted enough time trying to do that.

Kawai Novus NV10
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: TomLC] #2717113
02/25/18 11:42 AM
02/25/18 11:42 AM
So. Calif.
TomLC Online content
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Online Content
Gold Subscriber

So. Calif.
So i just thought, “wait a minute. I can’t connect an aux mike to my Macbook. But I can to the Mac. It also has a built in camera. It works great! Uploaded a test to Vimeo.

Last edited by TomLC; 02/25/18 07:18 PM.

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2751829
07/16/18 05:30 AM
07/16/18 05:30 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H

Hershey, PA, USA
It's now about 5 months later since my initial post and here's an update on my progress (if I may optimistically call it that) on setting up and learning to use a recording method or technique for my Yamaha Clavinova CVP-301 DP...

I downloaded to my laptop the latest version of the recording/editing software program called Audacity, placing an icon on the desktop to access it.

I also downloaded the related plugin program called LAME, which is required by Audacity to use in converting a recorded audacity file to the mp3 format (for ultimate upload to an ABF Recital, e.g.). Sorry, don't know what LAME stands for...

I then purchased from Amazon the audio interface Behringer, model U-phoria UMC202HD (about $60), which is a magical little black box with 2 inputs/outputs (with gain controls) that basically converts audio signals into digital form, which are then fed into the Audacity program on my laptop via USB cable (see the link for this interface in a post somewhere above). In addition, to be able to use the interface in recording one must install a driver on one's laptop for it - in my case the Windows 4.38 driver for Windows 10. This is available on Behringer's website.

I connect my DP to the interface via audio cables from the R and L/L+R Aux Out jacks on the underside of the DP to the Input jacks on the front of the interface - both ends of the cables have 1/4 inch plugs. The connection from interface to the laptop, as I said, is via the standard USB cable from the back of the interface to the side of the laptop.

I've only made a few recordings so far (including one for the upcoming Aug. 15th Recital) and there's a lot more for me to learn about using Audacity (which seems to have many remarkable capabilities) but it's apparent that one doesn't have to know a whole lot or be an expert to make a basic recording and edit it and apply a few basic, but essential, effects and to save that recording in Audacity and/or export it as an mp3 file (or other file type) to some folder on one's laptop for later use & upload.

So far I've only tried a few of the so-called effects such as Normalization, Equalization and Compression, which I'm not sure I fully understand, but which seem to have the net result of making one's recording sound better - a tad more "listenable" - removing such nasties as clipping, etc. It's not clear at this point whether or not one would need much more than these.

This entire process was a little easier than I suspected - and feared - having a chronic case of Technophobia as I do. Anyway, if anyone has any tips or hints on better use of Audacity (or the set up in general) please let me know. Thanks much.

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2751832
07/16/18 05:58 AM
07/16/18 05:58 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H

Hershey, PA, USA
I also wanted to say that the Help screens within Audacity are good, from the Getting Started page to the full Manual, with lots of examples, definitions and cross-referencing.

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2751858
07/16/18 10:27 AM
07/16/18 10:27 AM
PA
Music Me Offline
500 Post Club Member
Music Me  Offline
500 Post Club Member

PA
Handyman, you give me hope! I, too, suffer from a sever case of technophobia. I will be thinking of a few questions to ask you regarding recording. You are way ahead of me from the sound of it. So glad you posted this!

Barbara
...without music, no life...
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2751883
07/16/18 12:25 PM
07/16/18 12:25 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H

Hershey, PA, USA
Music Me - thanks - I'm glad you're glad - I'm not sure I'm ready to answer too many questions, but I'll try...the whole process and setup was fairly easy and basic Audacity is simple and quick - just learn about volume and gain control and a few effects and exporting - beyond that to more complex stuff is optional and something you can deal with gradually over time...

Remember, there is no cure for technophobia - all you can do is numb the pain...

BTW, I also wanted to say that the Behringer audio interface is powered by the USB cord which comes with it in the box...

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2751980
07/16/18 07:40 PM
07/16/18 07:40 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Online content
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Handyman
...the whole process and setup was fairly easy and basic Audacity is simple and quick - just learn about volume and gain control and a few effects and exporting - beyond that to more complex stuff is optional and something you can deal with gradually over time...

Remember, there is no cure for technophobia - all you can do is numb the pain...

BTW, I also wanted to say that the Behringer audio interface is powered by the USB cord which comes with it in the box...

I'm glad to hear that everything is working together! Also happy that you're content with the Behringer interface; I might get one of those myself.

Besides EQ, compression, and normalization, you might try playing with the "Reverb" effect. A bit of reverb can improve the sound of most DP's (IMHO), and I don't know if Audacity, or your built-in reverb, is the best way to do that.

Watch out with "compression". Using too much will reduce the expressiveness of your playing. OTOH, if you want to make a tape (oops -- we don't use those any more!) for use in a car, the background noise level inside the car _mandates_ heavy compression, to bring up the level of the soft sections. Without it, you won't be able to hear the "pp" sections at all.

Have fun -- as you say, "technophobia" needs to be attacked one problem at a time.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2752036
07/17/18 05:07 AM
07/17/18 05:07 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H

Hershey, PA, USA
Charles - good hearing from you again! Thanks for your tip on trying the Reverb effect and for the warning about Compression...also, I would recommend the Behringer interface, but not being a "power user" yet I'm not sure that recommendation would carry much weight! If I remember correctly it had many good reviews on Amazon...time will tell how it holds up & in my case it's not going to get a lot of continuous use.

Music Me - FYI, there are a number of videos on YouTube on how to use Audacity, from basic to more advanced capabilities - some of them are actually helpful!

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2752272
07/17/18 09:28 PM
07/17/18 09:28 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
The only thing I could add to the comments on the Zoom H2 and Audacity is that it is well worth spending a few days recording, editing and listening to as many different combinations of parameters as you can. It is a bit of a wrestling match because aside from settings on the Zoom itself there is recording position to consider as well as options with the instrument itself and the best tweaks to apply in Audacity. Recording at home is very personal and situation specific, and an optimal configuration for one house, player and piano is likely to be less than satisfactory for another. Also, at least for me, the very best setup was surprising, and not at all expected or obvious. Tedious as it is, spending a couple of days or longer testing settles the issue once and for all and you can then concentrate on nothing but making music.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Ted] #2752461
07/18/18 07:30 PM
07/18/18 07:30 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H

Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by Ted
... Recording at home is very personal and situation specific, and an optimal configuration for one house, player and piano is likely to be less than satisfactory for another. Also, at least for me, the very best setup was surprising, and not at all expected or obvious. Tedious as it is, spending a couple of days or longer testing settles the issue once and for all and you can then concentrate on nothing but making music.

Excellent thoughts Ted - think I'll try to put that into practice...

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2752747
07/20/18 08:15 AM
07/20/18 08:15 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H

Hershey, PA, USA
Here's the Behringer audio interface hooked up and ready to go...(the smaller, lighted black box on top is a USB hub with memory stick for direct recording from the DP)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Handyman; 07/20/18 08:19 AM.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the best way to learn improvisation?
by saratogaUSA. 10/21/18 05:07 PM
Apps
by Markuska. 10/21/18 04:25 PM
Classical Improvisation Websites?
by Horbie Peekler. 10/21/18 03:25 PM
Is playing by ear important
by Wayne2467. 10/21/18 02:59 PM
Beydynamics DT 880 Pro, ProRecord, PianoTeq
by Piano World. 10/21/18 12:07 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,918
Posts2,754,487
Members91,306
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission