Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
66 registered members (Charles Cohen, CyberGene, Colin Miles, 18 invisible), 1,007 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Latest in Recording Piano? #2711905
02/06/18 10:56 AM
02/06/18 10:56 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H
Hershey, PA, USA
Hi Everyone...

The links to methods of recording in the "Important Topics in the Adult Beginners Forum" don't seem to be connecting, so I was wondering what most people are using these days for recording - is it still the Zoom portable digital recorders (I remember vaguely a discussion about them some time back)? And if so, which of the several models that I've seen on Amazon is preferred?

Also, how about editing capabilities - can that be done within the zoom, or does one need some other outside app to do this?

Thanks!

Currently working on: Alfred Adult, Level 1; Alfred Greatest Hits, Level 1: Jumbo Easy Piano Book; Alfred Sacred Piano Book
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2711913
02/06/18 11:21 AM
02/06/18 11:21 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Georgia, USA
If anyone would like to write up a new guide to recording, we can replace the one that is missing. Volunteers?

I use a Zoom H4n for recording. Then I transfer the file to my computer and edit and export to mp3 with Audacity.

Sam

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2711929
02/06/18 12:01 PM
02/06/18 12:01 PM
W
wouter79 Online content
4000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
W
I think there were several threads in the last years on this. Maybe collect the info from them?

Globally I would say
* get nice sounding piano. Set it up to sound nice (lid open/removed; away from wall)
* fix the room so that the nice piano sounds nice in the room
* get good mics. If possible linear response 20-20kHz within say 2dB.
* place mics either close to strings for jazzy sound, for classic about 1 to 3 feet (or further if room acoustics allow) outside the lid so that the mics can see all strings. Slight changes in mic position can greatly emphasize/de-emphasize certain frequencies and thus has large impact. Especially in smaller rooms.
* Get recorder that allows manual control of the volume and set it so that no clipping occurs
* Remove all other sources of noice: a/c, clocks, washing machines, dogs , etc

Last edited by wouter79; 02/06/18 12:03 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2711966
02/06/18 01:56 PM
02/06/18 01:56 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky
I've been a huge fan of the Zoom family of products since they came out, wow, maybe a decade ago? And I've owned four over the years. Currently I use two when I record: My trusty Zoom H4n, which I use to record audio .wav files that I burn onto my annual CDs and convert to mp3s using Audacity for the quarterly recitals. I also record video with my Q8, which records in stereo as well as a high definition video. Why not just use the Q8?, you ask? Good question. I very well could, as there is an option in the Q8 to extract just the audio track if you want. But I find it easier to adjust the volume input settings with my H4, and do subsequent editing, than it is with the Q8. Plus, I think I get better audio recording by placing my H4 on my music desk, whereas you have to place the Q8 farther away if you want to get good video.

So, if you only wanted to purchase one device, I think it would depend on how badly you wanted to be able to get video. If that's affirmative, then buy the Q8 or whatever the current version of the Q8 is. If you mainly want good audio, I'd recommend the H4n (which would allow you attach better external mics should you desire later on) or the H2 (doesn't allow external mics but cheaper).

Someone who knows what they're doing can get better sound from a piano if you have separate mics and a mixer etc. and follow the recommendations wouter79 describes. But that's labor intensive, expensive, and requires one to know what they're doing technology wise. I don't meet, or want to meet, any of those requirements. laugh I still say that for the combination of affordability, ease of use, and good sound, you can't beat the Zooms.

Mason & Hamlin A -- 91997
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Sam S] #2711976
02/06/18 02:12 PM
02/06/18 02:12 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H
Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by Sam S
If anyone would like to write up a new guide to recording, we can replace the one that is missing. Volunteers?

I use a Zoom H4n for recording. Then I transfer the file to my computer and edit and export to mp3 with Audacity.

Sam

Sam - what is Audacity exactly - a software app? If so, is it free downloadable?

Currently working on: Alfred Adult, Level 1; Alfred Greatest Hits, Level 1: Jumbo Easy Piano Book; Alfred Sacred Piano Book
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2711981
02/06/18 02:21 PM
02/06/18 02:21 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky
Yes, Audacity is free (as well as the Lame extension to convert to mp3). It's also pretty easy to use!

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: wouter79] #2711984
02/06/18 02:27 PM
02/06/18 02:27 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H
Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by wouter79

Globally I would say
* get nice sounding piano. Set it up to sound nice (lid open/removed; away from wall)

wouter79 - sounds like you have an acoustic piano, and if I had one too I'd follow your good advice all the way. But, I have a Yamaha digital.

Also, I wish I had a dog because I love dogs - but unfortunately my wife is allergic to them...their hair or dander or something (maybe the high maintenance costs!)...

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Monica K.] #2711995
02/06/18 02:45 PM
02/06/18 02:45 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H
Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Yes, Audacity is free (as well as the Lame extension to convert to mp3). It's also pretty easy to use!

Monica - you said above you make .wav files with the Zoom and then convert them to mp3 with Audacity - so, is the Zoom not capable of producing mp3 files directly?

Also, do you know if one can make an "electronic" recording (as opposed to an "acoustic" recording) with the Zoom, that is a recording using direct wiring or cables from the digital piano audio output jacks straight to the Zoom? In other words does the Zoom have audio input jacks in addition to mics?)

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712016
02/06/18 03:57 PM
02/06/18 03:57 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
UK
Originally Posted by Handyman
Originally Posted by wouter79

Globally I would say

wouter79 - sounds like you have an acoustic piano, and if I had one too I'd follow your good advice all the way. But, I have a Yamaha digital.

Also, I wish I had a dog because I love dogs - but unfortunately my wife is allergic to them...their hair or dander or something (maybe the high maintenance costs!)...

Since your piano is digital you likely don't have to bother with any of the above stuff and a zoom, but it depends on model, check the manual, it may already have an internal recorder and a facility to put it on a usb thumb drive, which you can then transfer to PC where you can do any conversion you like wav to mp3 flac or whatever format in audacity.

If it does not have this facility but you piano has a line out or even headphone out you can connect that to a recorder or PC, but we would need some more details. Best to check what model of piano you have so we can double check its capabilities. The other route using line out and external recorders will usually lead to a less clean sounding result with noise issues and likely quality loss in conversion with digital setups, ( unless you delve into the world of MIDI and software pianos) The Internal recorders will give you to the best results at minimal cost.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Casio AP450 & software.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712026
02/06/18 04:24 PM
02/06/18 04:24 PM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Georgia, USA
Yes, the zoom does mp3 - its just that the wav files are uncompressed and better quality, so I record to that, and then convert to mp3. But the H4n has a button right on front that lets you change file formats.

But if you have a keyboard that can record, you can do that and not buy anything, and get very good recordings.

Sam

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Alexander Borro] #2712116
02/06/18 07:56 PM
02/06/18 07:56 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H
Hershey, PA, USA
Alexander - can Audacity convert any type of file to mp3, including MIDI files? After checking my manual it seems my digital piano does record, but I think it creates MIDI files (if I'm reading it correctly)...I struggle to understand this stuff...

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712125
02/06/18 08:11 PM
02/06/18 08:11 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
UK
Audacity cannot convert MIDI to mp3, audacity can only convert one audio format to another. MIDI is not an audio format, it is simply a recording of your key strokes, what notes you played, you would need other software to convert that key data and convert that to a piano sound, for which separate software would be needed.

If you state the model of your piano we can help more. Likely if your piano can record midi it can also record audio formats of the inbuild sounds, the simplest route to get started. Unless you really want to get into midi that becomes a whole other topic what you need for that with other complications.

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 02/06/18 08:12 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Casio AP450 & software.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712147
02/06/18 10:10 PM
02/06/18 10:10 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keystring  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Canada

Since you have a digital:

My former piano was a Yamaha digital and I now have a Kawai hybrid which essentially is also a digital. I have a cable running from the piano to my computer feeding the signal directly. Most modern digitals will have a dedicated jack for that. My old Yamaha was cheap because it was about to go off the market so it didn't have one. In that case I used one of the ear phone jacks for that. For audio only, I use Goldwave - I found it easier to understand than Audacity because I'm a software nincompoop. So when I want to record audio, I open Goldwave, make sure my "recording" settings are set to the line-in (whatever that might be named) and it feeds into Goldwave. From there it can be saved as mp3 or Wav.

For videos I have a Logitech camera. The sound from the mike is not that great, so I make sure that the sound goes through the same cable that I mentioned above, but the video is through the camera. The software for the camera lets you select which audio to choose.

Sometimes there is a reason to also talk. I have a mixer, a microphone that goes into the mixer, and the cable also goes into the mixer for my setup (in this case the mixer then feeds into the computer and the rest is the same). So in this case my voice goes into the mixer via microphone, the piano sound goes into the mixer via the cable running from the piano, and the mixer sends those signals to the computer. You probably have no reason to record voice as well as piano, so skip this last paragraph. wink

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712150
02/06/18 10:22 PM
02/06/18 10:22 PM
Maine
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Maine
I use two Berringer C2 mics into a Berringer 802 mixer into a Motu 828 firewire converter into my mac and a metro software recording app. I've always found recording acoustic piano to be really tough.

"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."- Oscar Wilde
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712153
02/06/18 11:00 PM
02/06/18 11:00 PM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Orange County, California
My process (for digital) is to output from the Yamaha into the mic input of a HD camcorder. I use an attenuator cable so that the signal is not too hot. The camcorder creates an MP4 file. I then extract the audio from that file using ffmpeg. Open that up in Audacity, remove noise, and create a new audio file. I then use ffmpeg again to replace the audio stream in the MP4 file with the noise free audio file created using Audacity. ffmpeg is a command line tool. There are GUI options, but once you understand the parameters it's quite easy to use ... and free laugh

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712219
02/07/18 04:53 AM
02/07/18 04:53 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H
Hershey, PA, USA
Thanks everyone for all the info - I appreciate your help - but I don't think I understand half of what you're saying & the problem is me, not you - I'm semi-illiterate where these things are concerned and I struggle to get techie stuff done - eventually I usually do, but it's like pulling teeth...

When all else fails one should read one's manual, which is what I'm going to have to do here, at length and in depth - this is an older Yamaha CVP model which has Line Out jacks underneath and also a smartcard slot on top right and a cable coming from underneath that has a USB plug on the end (maybe for connecting directly to a laptop???) - I don't know if the smartcard records MIDI or actual audio and the same for the USB cable...the manual has a fairly big section about recording so I'm going to look into that and get back to you...

If all else fails I'll have to call in the Geek Squad from Best Buy...but I am excited about the prospect of possibly not having to spend big bucks for a Zoom! Thanks again!

Alexander - no, I don't want to delve any further into MIDI...

Last edited by Handyman; 02/07/18 05:18 AM.

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712226
02/07/18 05:36 AM
02/07/18 05:36 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Germany
Hi Handyman!

Yes, this can all be quite confusing if done for the first time.

There's one general concept: If you are playing a digital piano, then to record it, you usually want to avoid using a recorder with a microphone. Because that would mean, that first your piano has to convert the electronic sound into actual sound waves (by moving the air with its speakers) and then the microphone of the recording device has to convert these sound waves back into recorded electronic information. This "roundabout" way via moving air molecules around with the speakers and detecting that movement with a microphone degrades the recording quality.

Therefore, a digital piano is usually recorded by recording the electronic signal directly.

In your case, since your CVP has a line out, you simply need to use a cable to connect this line out to the input (usually line in) of a recording device of your choice. That device can be a Zoom, but it can for example also be a computer. In the latter case, you then need to run a software (app) on the computer that does the actual recording. The mentioned free Audacity software can do this for you.

Alternatively, some digital pianos also have a direct recording feature, where the piano itself stores the recording on a USB stick (thumb drive), usually either in WAV or MP3 format (as already explained, the MIDI format cannot be used for this). Since you didn't tell us your CVP model, we can't know if your piano is capable of this, but the manual should help you out in that regard too.

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: JoBert] #2712262
02/07/18 09:23 AM
02/07/18 09:23 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H
Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by JoBert
Hi Handyman!

Therefore, a digital piano is usually recorded by recording the electronic signal directly.

In your case, since your CVP has a line out, you simply need to use a cable to connect this line out to the input (usually line in) of a recording device of your choice. That device can be a Zoom, but it can for example also be a computer. In the latter case, you then need to run a software (app) on the computer that does the actual recording. The mentioned free Audacity software can do this for you.

So, Audacity is a recorder in addition to being an editor? And then I could connect directly from the piano to my laptop via output/input jacks...

Alternatively, some digital pianos also have a direct recording feature, where the piano itself stores the recording on a USB stick (thumb drive), usually either in WAV or MP3 format (as already explained, the MIDI format cannot be used for this). Since you didn't tell us your CVP model, we can't know if your piano is capable of this, but the manual should help you out in that regard too.

Well, the piano does not have a USB slot for a thumb drive to be inserted, but it does have a short cord with a USB plug on the end which, via with the help of an extension cord, I could plug directly into a USB slot on my laptop, right?

I swear my old feeble brain is just about to explode...

Last edited by Handyman; 02/07/18 09:24 AM.

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712296
02/07/18 11:43 AM
02/07/18 11:43 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Germany
So, Audacity is a recorder in addition to being an editor? And then I could connect directly from the piano to my laptop via output/input jacks...

Exactly.

Well, the piano does not have a USB slot for a thumb drive to be inserted, but it does have a short cord with a USB plug on the end which, via with the help of an extension cord, I could plug directly into a USB slot on my laptop, right?

You could certainly plug it in, the question is, if it does you any good. :-)

USB can theoretically be used to transfer either sound data (in digital format) or MIDI data, but not every USB connection on a digital piano can actually be used for both of these data types. The USB connection is usually dedicated to one of them and it depends on the piano in question what kind of data it transfers over its built in USB. Quite a few pianos actually have two USB connectors: One to transfer MIDI data (to a computer) and another to transfer sound data (usually to a thumb drive, some can also transfer the sound data to a computer).

So it really depends on what your piano's USB connector was designed to do. My guess is, that it is designed to send MIDI data. In that case it would not be useful for you to plug it into your PC, if you actually want to record sound data, and not capture MIDI data. But of course it may be designed for sound data. The manual should clear that up.

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712323
02/07/18 12:44 PM
02/07/18 12:44 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H
Hershey, PA, USA
Good guess!

The manual says it's MIDI data - so much for that option.

So, it looks like I'm left with just the hard-wired option of output-to-input connection, either from piano directly to computer, or much less desirably with a Zoom intermediate stage...but if the jack on the piano is the old RCA type and there is no such RCA input jack on the laptop, is there some sort of adapter available for the computer to make this happen (does this question reveal my staggering ignorance here?)?

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712329
02/07/18 01:07 PM
02/07/18 01:07 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky

If all else fails I'll have to call in the Geek Squad from Best Buy...but I am excited about the prospect of possibly not having to spend big bucks for a Zoom! Thanks again!

The Zoom H2 is currently going for $160, which is not much more than a Geek Squad visit and would give you something you could use indefinitely. But with a digital it's usually better to figure out how to record directly from the piano to computer, as you don't have to deal with annoying environmental noises etc.

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712361
02/07/18 02:50 PM
02/07/18 02:50 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H
Hershey, PA, USA
That's the conclusion I've come to by a process of elimination Monica...

Think I'll talk to the guys in the local computer repair shop or maybe give a call to Yamaha's Customer Care & Tech Support no. and see how much they know (and really do care!)...

In the meantime, this Handyman is not such a handy man... laugh

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712381
02/07/18 03:54 PM
02/07/18 03:54 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Germany
but if the jack on the piano is the old RCA type and there is no such RCA input jack on the laptop, is there some sort of adapter available for the computer to make this happen?

A cable like this (with the required length) should do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8JW0

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712383
02/07/18 03:57 PM
02/07/18 03:57 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Online content
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Richmond, BC, Canada
Cables are cheaper than a Zoom recorder. But there's a problem, potentially . . .

Your DP probably has two "Line Out" jacks -- left, and right. In which case, it outputs stereo sound.

If your computer has a _stereo_ "Line In" jack (or a microphone jack, that allows two-channel input), you can connect the DP to the computer (with appropriate cables), start Audacity, and record.

If your computer has a _monophonic_ (single-channel) "Line In" jack, and you want to record the stereo (two-channel) signal from the DP, you'll need something called an "audio interface".

. . . . and that lifts up another rock, with creepy-crawlies under it.

If the DP's jacks are labelled "Line Out / Left/Mono" and "Line Out / Right", you can use the "Left/Mono" jack as a single-channel source for the computer's "Line In" connection.

The Zoom H2 (and higher models) will do stereo recording from your DP's "Line Out" jacks. And some models (I'm sure of the H4 / H4n) will let you use them as an "audio interface". Having a portable recorder can be very handy.

So:

. . . What DP do you have ?

PS -- the DP's manual should have some instructions on "how to record using an audio recorder" or "how to connect the DP to a home stereo system". That will give you a start.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712463
02/07/18 08:41 PM
02/07/18 08:41 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H
Hershey, PA, USA
JoBert - that cable looks like what I need, going from separate lt/rt output jacks on the DP to the single, small combo mic/headphone jack on the laptop (I assume that's the jack I'd have to use for audio input to the computer)...

Given Charles Cohen's considerations about stereo recording above, does such a cable combine the lt & rt audio signals into a combo or merged signal for input to the Audacity program within the laptop?

BTW - the DP is model CVP-301 from about 12 years ago bought used a few years back...

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712479
02/07/18 10:24 PM
02/07/18 10:24 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
NobleHouse  Offline
In the Ozarks of Missouri
For those of us beginners that have an acoustic piano, how do we record our playing? Is something like the Q8 the best SIMPLE way to record with decent sound?

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: NobleHouse] #2712520
02/08/18 02:48 AM
02/08/18 02:48 AM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Online content
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
For those of us beginners that have an acoustic piano, how do we record our playing? Is something like the Q8 the best SIMPLE way to record with decent sound?

A Q8, or a Zoom H2 or better (for audio only).

IMHO, with current electronics, and gear like that, the limits on the quality of your recording are:

. . . the microphone(s) used;
. . . microphone placement;
. . . the room acoustics.

I like the H4, since it has two XLR "Mic In" jacks, and microphone upgrades are easy. But I'm biased, since I own one.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712540
02/08/18 06:21 AM
02/08/18 06:21 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Germany
JoBert - that cable looks like what I need, going from separate lt/rt output jacks on the DP to the single, small combo mic/headphone jack on the laptop (I assume that's the jack I'd have to use for audio input to the computer)...

Given Charles Cohen's considerations about stereo recording above, does such a cable combine the lt & rt audio signals into a combo or merged signal for input to the Audacity program within the laptop?

No, the cable does not combine left & right stereo into a merged mono signal. It is meant for a "real" stereo line-in 3mm jack. Unfortunatly, many laptops don't have these. If you have one of these combo mic/headphone jacks, then most likely it will only record mono if used as a mic jack.

I checked the manual of the CVP-301. It actually has two AUX outputs:

The RCA jacks on the right, which are labelled "(Level Fixed) L .... R". Those output a fixed volume level, i.e. your piano's volume control does not change the output of these jacks. From how I understand the manual, these always deliver only a stereo signal, so they are probably not the best choice for your mic jack on the laptop.

The 6.3mm standard phone jacks on the left, which are labelled "L/L+R .... R". Those output a variable level, i.e. your piano's volume control changes the output on these jacks. Here you have the choice of either connecting both (for stereo) or only the one labelled "L/L+R", for a mono signal. So to connect this single "L/L+R" jack without your mic jack on the laptop, you would need a cable with a 6.3mm plug on one end and a 3mm plug on the other. Or a cable with either 6.3mm plugs on both ends or 3mm plugs on both ends, and one adapter that changes from 6.3mm to 3mm, or the other way round, respectively. These cables/adapters are very common.

Also, I see that your piano also has an optical digital sound output. If your laptop happens to have an optical input (which I doubt) you could use that too. The necessary cable is called a "TOS link cable".

Finally: Connecting the output of the piano to your mic input in this fashion can give less than optimal results, as the mic input is actually meant for a mic, nor for line input.

So in the end, it may be necessary to buy an additional USB audio interface (or a Zoom), which would also have the advantage that it would support stereo. I fear that with audio interfaces, I cannot be of much help, as I myself have never needed one. But if you go the route of an additional audio interface, it might be worth it to get one with an optical digital input, so that you can use the optical digital output of your piano, so you can record the digital sound directly.

Last edited by JoBert; 02/08/18 06:23 AM.
Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: JoBert] #2712559
02/08/18 09:06 AM
02/08/18 09:06 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline OP
Handyman  Offline OP
H
Hershey, PA, USA

So in the end, it may be necessary to buy an additional USB audio interface (or a Zoom), which would also have the advantage that it would support stereo. I fear that with audio interfaces, I cannot be of much help, as I myself have never needed one. But if you go the route of an additional audio interface, it might be worth it to get one with an optical digital input, so that you can use the optical digital output of your piano, so you can record the digital sound directly.

JoBert - excellent analysis! I read thru your post 3 times now and almost understand what you're saying (and the problem is me and my almost vertical learning curve)...

I was aware of the other output jacks (L/L+R...) but couldn't quite grasp from the manual what they were for or how they worked - the manual seems to have been written by an electrical engineer for a recording engineer...

I know or understand less than nothing about "audio interfaces" - I'm not even sure whether it's a hardware device or a software program (or both) ... but I think it's probably preferable to try to retain as much as possible the stereo aspects or components of my output audio signal...so, I guess I may be stuck investing in a Zoom after all (or this interface thing) ... which, of course, would come in very handy if some day I won a lottery and then splurged on an expensive acoustic piano!

Just when I thought the solution was clear (and cheap) I'm back where I started...unless losing the stereo component doesn't make that much difference after all.

No matter what, I guess I've got to actually learn to play the piano good enough someday to warrant attempting a recording.

Re: The Latest in Recording Piano? [Re: Handyman] #2712565
02/08/18 09:25 AM
02/08/18 09:25 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Germany
To clear up that point some more: An audio interface is a little hardware box that is connected to your laptop via USB and that in turn has jacks of different types, into which you can plug the cable (or cables) coming from your digital piano. So the signal from the piano goes into that audio interface box, which converts it into digital information, that is then sent on to your laptop (via USB, i.e. not via the mic/headphones jack) where it can then be played back and/or recorded, for example by a software like Audacity.

But yes, I agree that at this point you should maybe take a step back, let all this new information settle a bit, and instead spend some relaxing time at the piano actually playing it. wink

Have fun!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
C. Bechstein on a Truck!
by Retsacnal. 05/21/18 12:22 AM
Upgrade from Roland FP-4 to Yamaha P255 - doubts
by kiedysktos.. 05/20/18 06:25 PM
How to write it down?
by Fornion. 05/20/18 04:03 PM
Theory Puzzle
by Groove On. 05/20/18 01:59 PM
How much did I improve?
by hyena. 05/20/18 10:26 AM
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics185,582
Posts2,718,974
Members90,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission