Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
100 registered members (Bean23, 36251, Beardog, AnthonyPaulO, anotherscott, Albert Brighten, AWilley, 26 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yamaha P255 VS YDP-163B? #2711547
02/04/18 09:42 PM
02/04/18 09:42 PM
G
Gorz117 Offline OP
Gorz117  Offline OP
G

Hey!

I'm a beginner searching for a piano to start practicing and after some research I'm thinking about either the Yamaha P255 or the YDP-163B. I'm going to play mostly at home so, being portable is a plus but, not a requirement. Anyone have opinions on either? My budget is $2,000 or lower if anyone has an alternate recommendation.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Yamaha P255 VS YDP-163B? [Re: Gorz117] #2711562
02/04/18 11:09 PM
02/04/18 11:09 PM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Offline
Silver Subscriber
P

Bay Area CA
I think most folks here - who prioritize the feel of the piano's action - prefer the Roland FP-90 or Kawai ES8 in this price range, and would suggest that you consider these. So it may depend upon your priorities and whether the Yamahas offer something important to you that the Roland and Kawai do not.

Re: Yamaha P255 VS YDP-163B? [Re: Gorz117] #2711581
02/05/18 01:18 AM
02/05/18 01:18 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Gorz117,

As pwl notes, if you are considering a portable board such as the Yamaha P255, I would also recommend taking a look at the Roland FP-90/FP-60 and Kawai ES8.

If portability is not a strong requirement, a console model like the YDP-163 offers a good bang for the buck. I would also take a look at the Roland RP102 and Kawai KDP110.

As always, I strongly recommend trying to play-test all of these models in person before making a decision - best of luck with your search.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Yamaha P255 VS YDP-163B? [Re: Gorz117] #2711590
02/05/18 03:19 AM
02/05/18 03:19 AM
Pays de la Loire, France
P
Picotin Offline
Picotin  Offline
P

Pays de la Loire, France
Hey Gorz117,

What I've learnt while looking for my first digital piano is that portables piano seems to provide the best value for money within your budget. In the end of the day the cabinet of the console pianos comes with a price and beside the esthetic doesn't add much to the piano playing experience. (Probably it's a different story with high end consoles)

If you're primarily looking for a piano for learning the basics, you might not be much interested into a large variety of others sounds (Organs, Synth, etc) but mainly focused on a good piano sound that connects with you along with the best key action your budget can buy.

In my view this leads to the top range of portable pianos with built-in speakers and, as other people already mentioned, in the current market offers it boils down to Roland FP-90 and Kaway ES8. Both with plusses and minuses.

My personal feeling is that Yamaha P255 is quite outdated and although the cheaper of the lot, it no longer competes with others offers in the segment.

Just my two cents and good luck with your hunt.
F.

Kawai ES8, ISK HD9999 Phones
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Yamaha P255 VS YDP-163B? [Re: Picotin] #2711667
02/05/18 01:37 PM
02/05/18 01:37 PM
G
Gorz117 Offline OP
Gorz117  Offline OP
G

Originally Posted by Picotin
Hey Gorz117,

What I've learnt while looking for my first digital piano is that portables piano seems to provide the best value for money within your budget. In the end of the day the cabinet of the console pianos comes with a price and beside the esthetic doesn't add much to the piano playing experience. (Probably it's a different story with high end consoles)

If you're primarily looking for a piano for learning the basics, you might not be much interested into a large variety of others sounds (Organs, Synth, etc) but mainly focused on a good piano sound that connects with you along with the best key action your budget can buy.

In my view this leads to the top range of portable pianos with built-in speakers and, as other people already mentioned, in the current market offers it boils down to Roland FP-90 and Kaway ES8. Both with plusses and minuses.

My personal feeling is that Yamaha P255 is quite outdated and although the cheaper of the lot, it no longer competes with others offers in the segment.

Just my two cents and good luck with your hunt.
F.

From my research I got the impression from the highlighted as well. I'm thinking of committingI to a portable piano since it seems I'll get my bang for my buck this way.

I've read the sound on the FP-90 is not as great as the Kawaii, anyone have any opinions on this?

Re: Yamaha P255 VS YDP-163B? [Re: Gorz117] #2711699
02/05/18 04:18 PM
02/05/18 04:18 PM
Sao Paul, Brazil
E
EVC2017 Online content
EVC2017  Online Content
E

Sao Paul, Brazil
Originally Posted by Gorz117
I've read the sound on the FP-90 is not as great as the Kawaii, anyone have any opinions on this?

You will find many Kawai satisfied users and fans in this forum (sometimes I think it should be named "Kaway digital pianos") so the answers you will get will be predominantly "yes" to this questions. I have the ES8. The sounds are OK but not exceptional IMO. The slow strings and choir ones are good though.

I have the RD2000 too that shares (I believe) some sounds with FP-90. I like some sounds, others not so much. I like the electric pianos (again, not sure which ones are shared between them). I like the aforementioned choir sounds of the ES8 better and slow strings works better on ES8 too.

Many hate Roland's modelled sounds, though I wonder if they would really feel the difference in a blind test.

The bottom line is: visit a store and try them by yourself.You will probably be given this advice more than once, whether from Kawai supporters, or otherwise.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Re: Yamaha P255 VS YDP-163B? [Re: Gorz117] #2711700
02/05/18 04:20 PM
02/05/18 04:20 PM
Pays de la Loire, France
P
Picotin Offline
Picotin  Offline
P

Pays de la Loire, France
Originally Posted by Gorz117
I've read the sound on the FP-90 is not as great as the Kawai, anyone have any opinions on this?

Sounds and keys touch are very personal and I don't know how much is beneficial relying on others people' impressions. Once you have identified the market segment that better match your needs, I would encourage you to test play all the competitor offers by yourself and make your own judgement.

I had to return my first Kawai ES8 which happened to be defective. I took that opportunity to test again the Roland FP-90 just last week as I tried its action on another model the first time I compared it with the Kawai.
Personally, I found the Roland PHA-50 action better than the Kawai RH3 but I prefer Kawai's sound much more than the Roland. In the end I ordered another ES8 just because the whole package better suites me and today I received it. This unit doesn't have any defects ans I love it but the keys are indeed nosier than the Roland I tried.

Some players might agree with my conclusions while others might feel the exact opposite. I reckon one forum member sold its Kawai ES8 in order to switch to Roland FP-90 and he wrote he loves its sound while couldn't connect with the Kawai one.

I believe with experiences there is no single truth. Everyone has its own and in the end of the day, the personal enjoyment while playing is the only goal one should aim at. All additional narrative is good for forum discussions only wink

Kawai ES8, ISK HD9999 Phones

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What PianoWorld has cost me...
by David B. 03/26/19 07:48 PM
Rock School Breakdown?
by stevechris. 03/26/19 05:07 PM
Which Yamaha model?
by Azzawaba. 03/26/19 04:48 PM
CP88
by quindecima. 03/26/19 04:37 PM
Story & Clark Console - Worth Investing in?
by Bean23. 03/26/19 04:19 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,148
Posts2,811,207
Members92,886
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission