2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 384 of 452 1 2 382 383 384 385 386 451 452
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I’m up to and about to start on “Standing In The Need Of Prayer” after getting the tricky little fingering in “Happy Birthday”. I must admit that I underestimated that one. The next one looks to be interesting.
Handyman, I thought someone would be here by now. I don’t have a teacher in person but do some video lessons. You will be advised to get a teacher if possible. As for Alfred, it has its critics but it is a long established method that a friend who is a pro player of 20 yrs approved of. I can offer this from my own experience, be patient as there are no magic short cuts. I started trying to move fast just to get on here and say I turned a page and it cost me. Now I do a lesson until I have it down. As I stated before, this forum has some really helpful people even tho it has seemed slow the last few days. I guess they are prepping for the big game. Just move slow and seek help as needed to avoid bad habits. You will do well. Enjoy the journey. Mb

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
So far I am liking Alfred's. I have slowed down so that I am spending more time mastering a piece before moving on from it even though I may actually be working on several pages at a time. Right now I am working on a section from Cafe Vienna through Cockles and Muscles.

I also work from the Greatest Hits companion book (everything up to Rainbow Connection).

Carolinakeys, I'm checking out those video lessons. I like her approach. I decided to start at the beginning even though it's all really material I've already covered so far, but you just never know when there might be a tip that could be useful.

Welcome Handyman. Sounds like you are not a totally green beginner. Let us know how you are progressing.

Lana

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

F
F
I've come back to the Alfred's book after a hiatus of studying other methods and apps. I'm working with my teacher on this and using the pieces in this book to finally "make friends" with the metronome. Currently working on "Raisins and Almonds".

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
GidgetKeys, I agree with you on her approach. I looked around and that site just stuck out. I’m in Unit 3 now and it starts to get more involved. I haven’t found anything that I don’t like and plan to stick with her. I didn’t see that Greatest Hits on iBooks. I’m waiting on an eye surgery this summer and the tablet is the only way that I can read at present. (makes everything harder) I do like the book. You are progressing well. Keep on keeping on.

Finfan, welcome back. Great going on the metronome and I admit I’ve been slack there. Great quote on your post.

I always look forward to this thread. Mb

Alesis Coda Pro
Originally Posted by carolinakeys

Handyman, ... I started trying to move fast just to get on here and say I turned a page and it cost me. Now I do a lesson until I have it down. As I stated before, this forum has some really helpful people even tho it has seemed slow the last few days. I guess they are prepping for the big game. ... Mb

Sounds like real good advice carolinakeys - I made that same mistake in my short false start before - it's nice to know there's some helpful people here!
BTW - what is this big game you're referring to? smile

Last edited by Handyman; 02/05/18 11:12 AM.

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys

Welcome Handyman. Sounds like you are not a totally green beginner. Let us know how you are progressing.

Lana

Thanks for the welcome GidgetKeys - I think I'll probably be using Alfred and I'll check back in here with updates & questions as I progress (such as it will be)...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
T
T
Can anyone send me the pdf for the Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-One Course level 1 so I can print it for myself?

U
U
Can anyone send me the PDF for a dollar bill so a poor working musician can afford to pay his rent?

Ask me about bagpipes.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Type this into Google - "download alfreds adult piano pdf"

It will probably be the first link laugh

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Sorry for the delay, but welcome, Handyman!

I'm a returning pianist myself. I got up to grade 3 RCM as a child/young teen before calling it quits. I'm now in my mid 30s. I'm using Alfred as a way to bring myself back up to speed and make sure that the theory I remember doesn't have any holes in it. I'm enjoying it - the arrangements are simplified well without feeling patronizing and the increase in difficulty between songs is enough to keep it interesting but not frustrating. I definitely can't believe I'd forgotten this much theory!

Overall, I'd recommend it as a good way to clear away the rust.

I cleared myself on Cafe Vienna this week, but still want to spend some more time polishing Lullaby. Started on Joy to the World.
In RCM Grade 1, I think I've finally got the notes for Aria drilled into my head, so now I'm working on dynamics and getting it up to speed.

Last edited by Skullie; 02/07/18 10:00 AM.
Thanks much for the welcome Skullie - looking forward to learning along with all of you here - I've just started Alfred 1 - it's an old, used copy from about 10 years ago - I don't know if any new editions have come out, but this will have to do...Just started working on Jingle Bells (an early start for next Christmas). smile

John

J
J
I'm working thru Alfred book 1 with a teacher, and it's great. One nice thing about working with a teacher, is the natural "chunking". He writes he date of "today's" lesson on the pages that he wants me to work on in the coming week, and also a "stop here" a little farther along. I've only had four lessons so far: but a pattern is emerging.

In the first couple days after the lesson, I will polish up the last piece or so from the previous section, usually because I wasn't 100% pleased with how I played it in front of the teacher, or I don't quite feel like I have it down; and then also look at the first couple pages of the current section. Later in the week, I have moved on from the last section and am now working on everything in the new section.

Another thing that I'm also doing: as we work on a section, when I get home I go on PianoTV.net and find the post that covers about the same material. Usually Allysia has a piece of sheet music that is of the right challenge level, and is more interesting than the stuff in the book for the same lesson. So I'll print out the piece and work on it in addition to my Alfred stuff for the week. I'll also email my teacher the link to the sheet music, as a heads-up.

So at the next lesson, I play for him the stuff I was "assigned" in the Alfred book the previous week, and also the PianoTV piece that I downloaded and worked on. He gives comments & feedback on everything, and says of most things "I think we can move on." And so we do, to the next group of pages in the book.
(Except as I said, sometimes I'll work for another day or so on one of those pieces, to nail it down just a bit more.)

The PianoTV stuff is very well-chosen for the level; makes a great supplement to the Alfred material, so I feel like I am doing a ton of learning in a compressed amount of time. Like having two lessons at once, maybe. :-)

This week in Alfred, we're on G position and just introduced D7 chords. Last week from PianoTV I learned the Hook Minuet (counterpoint! very tough!) and Red River Valley. This week, my PianoTV supplement is Ode To Joy: perfect complement, it has G and D7 chords in the left hand.

Skullie - what's this RCM you referred to above?

John

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
RCM is Royal Conservatory of Music. I started with Alfred's when I first began lessons, but then transitioned to following the RCM syllabus.

https://www.rcmusic.com/

Here is the latest piano syllabus.

https://www.rcmusic.com/sites/default/files/files/RCM-Piano-Syllabus-2015.pdf

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Does one have to qualify or audition for acceptance into the RCM program?

John

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Handyman

Usually one works with a teacher and goes through the syllabus. However, you can follow it yourself and sign up for exams on your own. Some people just follow the syllabus, and opt not to take exams.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, it's snowing here. I am looking at my "back catalogue", trying to remember pieces I haven't touched for a while. So I am trying "singin' in the rain" in the hope that it will turn the snow into rain and clear the way for me to take Shadow for a walk.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Originally Posted by Handyman

The books are available for anyone to purchase. There are 5 books per level: Repertoire, Studies, Theory, Technical Requirements, and Sight & Ear training. I've only got the Repertoire, Studies, and Technical Requirements for the first 3 levels.

Originally, my teacher moved me to the RCM syllabus once I'd finished level 2 of Bastien Piano Basics. I took the exam for grade 1, skipped the exam for grade 2 and went straight to studying grade 3. If you're planning on taking exams, a teacher can help you polish pieces and really get them polished, and help you with the technical requirements and ear training. If you're not planning on taking exams, it's still a good way to find a smooth progression of difficulty.

Alfred's level 1 and RCM grade 1 are about the same level, difficulty-wise, so I'm using it as supplemental repertoire since I already had the books from when I studied previously.

Thanks for the info bSharp & Skullie...good to know...have all I can handle with Alfred now, but maybe later...

John

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I’ve just about gotten “Standing In The Need Of Prayer” finished. Great little song. (It has verses)
I haven’t heard “The Gift To Be Simple” but once and I’m looking forward to it. Irish Washer Woman was a fun one from my video lessons. I’ve also a lot of review to do in Alfred to try and keep other stuff fresh. It’s gonna be a good week. I hope you all are doing well.y

Alesis Coda Pro
Page 384 of 452 1 2 382 383 384 385 386 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission