Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
109 registered members (Angelos58, BethRH, ahinton, Bruce In Philly, Bobby Badd, accordeur, 26 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: MarkH13] #2705516
01/16/18 04:50 PM
01/16/18 04:50 PM
E
Egorbopol Offline OP
Egorbopol  Offline OP
E

Originally Posted by MarkH13

However - and it's a big however - the loud note issue is a little worse than I anticipated. Not only does it happen during fast trills, but also during certain other passages. It's a weird sensation - the key suddenly seems to lighten up (like you've 'bypassed' the mechanism) and a horrible loud noise emerges.

The problem seems to recur in specific places in specific pieces (e.g. the opening bars of the 3rd movement of K.310), so I think that the problem is triggered by a certain combination of key speed/weight.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I completely agree with what you said about the Nu1x being an amazing instrument, especially in terms of looks, feel, and sound. As I've said from the start, outside of the issue at hand, I think its an amazing machine.

What you mentioned about "the key suddenly seems to lighten up" is the same sensation I would feel as well. It is most definitely a weird sensation, as you put it, and really takes me out of the moment.

While at the piano store this past weekend with the owner, I played the Nu1, Nu1x, N1, N2, and N3 for over an hour, and it came down to this. I can play the N series pianos endlessly, and never worry about something unexpected happening. It plays, as intended, and sounds great. I unfortunately cannot say the same thing for the NU series pianos. There is a chance, even be it slim, that something will happen unexpectedly. And at this price point, I am NOT ok with that.

Thank you everyone for all of your feedback, and replies. One positive I can take from this experience, is I never knew about Pianoworld before this issue came up. If it wasn't for the NU1X and this problem, I would have never found this community.

Doug

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: spanishbuddha] #2705522
01/16/18 05:29 PM
01/16/18 05:29 PM
Nashville, Tennessee
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member
PianoZac  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nashville, Tennessee
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
The NU1 is the perfect practice instrument. If you can master the key action, dynamics, legato, smoothness, trills, accents on arpeggios, acciaccaturas, .....etc.... both hands, your ‘performance’ on a grand or most mid to top range DPs c/should be flawless. It took me months to get used to the clunky action, after being spoiled on a mid range DP and my teachers grand, and I was set to replace mine, until my teacher visited, played on it and showed me the problems I had were my own and not the instrument.

It appears not to be the perfect performance instrument for reasons discussed in this thread, but for some of us owners, many maybe, the noted problem does not appear. Maybe it will show up with more advanced music, but personally I’m a few years away from that.

And this is quite frankly why I enjoy my N1 so much. I’ve had my piano teacher come over and play it, who had never heard of an AvantGrand, and was quite impressed. It’s sound isn’t the best with headphones, but played through the speaker system, is pleasant. The speaker system is certainly a notch up from any console DP I’ve played including the CA98 and CS11, which were also both fantastic instruments (and have nicer sounding samples quite frankly). I think a serious (or amateur) pianist of the future who is pursuing a career in performance piano will most certainly need to consider hybrids. They are best of both worlds.

The other part I’ve enjoyed over the last year is my action seems to have loosened up, for lack of a better way of describing it. It’s noticeably lighter than most DPs.

Last edited by PianoZac; 01/16/18 06:50 PM.

Kawai MP7SE
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2705838
01/17/18 06:56 PM
01/17/18 06:56 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

It's a weird sensation - the key suddenly seems to lighten up (like you've 'bypassed' the mechanism) and a horrible loud noise emerges.

Originally Posted by Egorbopol
What you mentioned about "the key suddenly seems to lighten up" is the same sensation I would feel as well. It is most definitely a weird sensation, as you put it, and really takes me out of the moment.

Wow, OK with these reports I have to revise what I experience on the NU1. I can easily (more or less at will) trigger exactly what Mark and Egor describe above on the NU1. Perhaps I wasn't reading the threads carefully enough, but I always assumed a "loud note" was a note playing louder than it should. Here, the note is playing EXACTLY as loud as it should, the problem (seems to be) that the keystick is pressed while it is still escaped from the rest of the action so it becomes very light and gets pressed with higher velocity than intended.

I actually think this happens on upright acoustics as well (if you're not used to playing them) but the effect is that no note is played because the separated action isn't sent back to the string. Chalk it up to user error, learning where the escapement is on that particular instrument, and adjusting your playing style to prevent it from happening again. Practice reduces missed notes, no surprise there.

On the NU1, because the velocity sensors are on the keys, the effect is a loud (or just improperly sounding) note, because there is nothing to measure movement at the hammer. The same behavior, but you notice it much more because a note sounds loudly.

When I say I can easily replicate it, I don't mean the exact "loud note." But if I repeat a key quickly without lifting my finger more than half-way up, it's very easy to hit a cadence fast enough to exceed the hammer return speed. When I do that, I can bounce the hammer off the action repeatedly without sending the hammer into the railing, and yet get the note to sound repeatedly, which I believe would be silent presses if done on an acoustic.

Is it a big problem? Not so much for me I think. I said earlier that it happens once every song or two. Today I played the NU1 for about an hour and didn't run into it at all except when I was intentionally trying to trigger it.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Gombessa] #2705994
01/18/18 07:25 AM
01/18/18 07:25 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

Originally Posted by Gombessa
However, I've previously reported (in this thread) the "mechanically-linked" loud noise Mark describes here. Fairly frequently (~once ever 5 minutes) when you press the key, it feels completely detached from the hammer mechanism, it's very light, and thus bottoms out quickly and results in a loud note. My thought was that it had something to do with speed, weight, but most importantly, the current position and impetus of the action. It feels a like, if you strike the key at just the right (wrong) time, the hammer doesn't have a chance to re-engage with the jack, so the key slips past without any resistance and trips the key sensor.

But from what I've been reading here, this ISN'T the behavior others have described, which sounds more like a totally normal action behavior accompanied by spurious note volume.

Thanks for posting this Gombessa, your description matches perfectly my experience of playing the NU1X (and describes it much better than I could have!)

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Tyr] #2705997
01/18/18 07:34 AM
01/18/18 07:34 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

Originally Posted by Tyr
Calm down guys. laugh

@ CyberGene: Sometimes i write a small comment, because it sucks on my tablet. So to answer this:

I've tried the NU1X as a possible replacement for my CA98 end of last year. I have read the issue discussed in this thread and saw the video about the NU1 issue. Also i read here how to reproduce this issue on several keys mentioned in this thread. I took round about 30 minutes on both NU1X playing and trying to let this louder note happen via thrills, fast repetition on a single note etc. but it didn't happen. I talked about this with my dealer and he said, he never heard about it on the NU1X nor the NU1. He also tried it (and he's a better player than me) without success. My conclusion was that it's not happening on all instruments, so it's an issue that "can" happen but (as Yamaha said in the manual) it seems a rare issue.

The reason i didn't bought it was the key action btw. While i enjoyed it, there something strange happening when the key is moving down into the keybed.

Thanks Tyr for your (comprehensive wink ) description of your experiences - it's really encouraging that you couldn't replicate the problem at all, which suggests that there may be a solution (even if it's swapping my keyboard for another NU1X).

Incidentally, I agree with you about the action as the key reaches the keybed - it feels quite abrupt, and 'clunky'. Initially this put me off too, but the more that I played, the less it bothered me, until all I felt was like I was playing a proper acoustic piano.

Incidentally, the clunky action problem is worst when playing through speakers, especially at lower volumes (as the noise of the action is more noticeable). At higher volumes, and particularly through phones, the problem goes away.

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: spanishbuddha] #2706000
01/18/18 07:39 AM
01/18/18 07:39 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
The NU1 is the perfect practice instrument. If you can master the key action, dynamics, legato, smoothness, trills, accents on arpeggios, acciaccaturas, .....etc.... both hands, your ‘performance’ on a grand or most mid to top range DPs c/should be flawless. It took me months to get used to the clunky action, after being spoiled on a mid range DP and my teachers grand, and I was set to replace mine, until my teacher visited, played on it and showed me the problems I had were my own and not the instrument.

It appears not to be the perfect performance instrument for reasons discussed in this thread, but for some of us owners, many maybe, the noted problem does not appear. Maybe it will show up with more advanced music, but personally I’m a few years away from that.

I couldn't agree with you more spanishbuddha - the NU1X is a difficult piano to play well, not because it's a bad action, but because it refuses to flatter your playing... If there is any inconsistency, unevenness, heaviness, etc. in your playing, it comes through loud and clear in the sound, particularly in trills and passage-work.

If you can make a beautiful, even, consistent sound on an NU1X, you can do it on any piano!

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2706004
01/18/18 07:47 AM
01/18/18 07:47 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
C
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

Sofia, Bulgaria
Gombessa, we've discussed that somewhere at the beginning of this thread. The same "phenomenon" happens on real upright pianos too (I can reproduce it on my Scholze upright for example), however the result is usually the opposite: there's no sound or there's just a very quiet note produced. This is actually intuitive because when it happens the key feels light (the escapement hasn't re-caught the hammer, so you don't have a mass to throw) and logically the produced note would be light, i.e. quiet or missing. What happens on NU1 is somehow counter-intuitive because the sensors are not at the hammers but below the keys and when that happens naturally the key becomes light and it's easy to throw them fast and produce loud notes, something you wouldn't expect when not having mass to throw. If they used hammer sensors, the piano would've acted exactly as a real upright piano. But as discussed, that might have involved much more complicated design with a higher price.

I am OK with what Yamaha do and I am not after pouring cr*p over them. What I don't like is the unclear position of Yamaha on this. It's rather sad that in most cases where people complain about this problem dealers are completely unaware of this problem and start exchanging for another piano which is apparently absolutely unnecessary. A cleanly stated position by Yamaha and better education of dealers regarding this problem would've saved all the troubles and bashing. And while it might be unrealistically idealistic on my side, I would even go as far as expecting dealers to inform customers about this "phenomenon" and just state it clearly to customers, of course not in a bad light, just as a logical result of the action, but state it clearly for customers to be aware and decide whether they can reproduce it themselves and whether it is something they can live with. Everything else is like a bad attempt to cover the truth which leaves the impression that Yamaha are hiding something.

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/18/18 07:49 AM.

Soundcloud Profile - solo piano compositions, arrangements, reharms
Currently: Kawai ES7 -> Garritan CFX
Previously: Kawai MP6, Kawai CA63, Roland RD-700SX, Roland FP-5, Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2706005
01/18/18 07:50 AM
01/18/18 07:50 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

Hi Mark,

I completely agree with what you said about the Nu1x being an amazing instrument, especially in terms of looks, feel, and sound. As I've said from the start, outside of the issue at hand, I think its an amazing machine.

While at the piano store this past weekend with the owner, I played the Nu1, Nu1x, N1, N2, and N3 for over an hour, and it came down to this. I can play the N series pianos endlessly, and never worry about something unexpected happening. It plays, as intended, and sounds great. I unfortunately cannot say the same thing for the NU series pianos. There is a chance, even be it slim, that something will happen unexpectedly. And at this price point, I am NOT ok with that.

Thank you everyone for all of your feedback, and replies. One positive I can take from this experience, is I never knew about Pianoworld before this issue came up. If it wasn't for the NU1X and this problem, I would have never found this community.

Doug

Hi Doug,

I completely get what you're saying, and I suspect for most people, this would (understandably) be a deal-breaker...

However, for the use I put the piano to (as a 2nd instrument, for practice, technical work etc.), I can live with the issues, and the benefits more than outweigh the frustrations...

Anyway, good luck with your piano hunting - the N series are fantastic instruments, I'm sure you'll be delighted with whichever one you decide on!

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2707489
01/22/18 02:28 PM
01/22/18 02:28 PM
E
Egorbopol Offline OP
Egorbopol  Offline OP
E

So I got my N1 this past weekend and have been playing it for the past few days.

I have to say, I really love it. I can play for hours and hours carefree. The touch is outstanding, and feels quite a bit nicer than my previous Nu1x. I know the soundboard is a bit older than the Nu1x, but for some reason I feel like it still sounds better through the on board speakers. The only thing I miss from the Nu1x is while playing with headphones on. The nu1x sounded really, really good with headphones. Headphone playing with the N1 is by far its weakest point. That aside, the fact that I can play for hours without worrying about the defect that my Nu1x had, makes all the difference in the world.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2707526
01/22/18 04:33 PM
01/22/18 04:33 PM
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T

Germany
Congratulations. Nice to hear smile

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Tyr] #2707554
01/22/18 06:14 PM
01/22/18 06:14 PM
E
Egorbopol Offline OP
Egorbopol  Offline OP
E

Originally Posted by Tyr
Congratulations. Nice to hear smile

Thanks Tyr smile

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2707567
01/22/18 06:56 PM
01/22/18 06:56 PM
Milano
N
newer player Online content
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
N

Milano
So I got my N1 this past weekend and have been playing it for the past few days.

...The only thing I miss from the Nu1x is while playing with headphones on. The nu1x sounded really, really good with headphones. Headphone playing with the N1 is by far its weakest point.

I wonder if you could just connect a decent headphone amp to the line out ports and that would resolve headphone sound quality...

Worth 50-100$ to try

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2707612
01/23/18 12:46 AM
01/23/18 12:46 AM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

Portland, OR, USA
Congratulations indeed!!!!

Regarding headphone, try different headphones - especially lower ohm ones. I found that makes a huge difference for headphone sound for N1/N2 in the store..

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2707670
01/23/18 08:00 AM
01/23/18 08:00 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

I have to say, I really love it. I can play for hours and hours carefree. The touch is outstanding, and feels quite a bit nicer than my previous Nu1x. I know the soundboard is a bit older than the Nu1x, but for some reason I feel like it still sounds better through the on board speakers. The only thing I miss from the Nu1x is while playing with headphones on. The nu1x sounded really, really good with headphones. Headphone playing with the N1 is by far its weakest point. That aside, the fact that I can play for hours without worrying about the defect that my Nu1x had, makes all the difference in the world.

Congratulations on your purchase! The AvantGrands are stunning pianos, and I'm glad you're enjoying it smile

I spent quite a bit of time comparing the NU1X and N1, and agree with you about the relative sound quality. The NU1X onboard speakers are fine, but not a patch on listening through headphones, which is stunning.

The N1 also sounds fine through its speaker system, but the headphone output was a bit disappointing to me. I think there's quite a jump in sound quality to the N2, and presumably to the N1X if/when it gets here...

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2707673
01/23/18 08:06 AM
01/23/18 08:06 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

Any thoughts on the relative keyboard weight of the two instruments?

My feeling was that the NU1X is significantly heavier to play than the N1, but I know others have not felt the same way...

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: MarkH13] #2708116
01/24/18 02:28 PM
01/24/18 02:28 PM
E
Egorbopol Offline OP
Egorbopol  Offline OP
E

Any thoughts on the relative keyboard weight of the two instruments?

My feeling was that the NU1X is significantly heavier to play than the N1, but I know others have not felt the same way...

I agree with you MarkH13. I found that the Nu1x keys were much heavier, and it was harder to play certain passages comfortably, or the way I intended. Not harder because of weight, but just something about the control of the hammer and key, it felt inconsistent. The N1 is still quite heavy, but while heavy, I feel like I still have a great amount of control, not sure if that all makes sense, haha.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Osho] #2708118
01/24/18 02:31 PM
01/24/18 02:31 PM
E
Egorbopol Offline OP
Egorbopol  Offline OP
E

Originally Posted by Osho
Congratulations indeed!!!!

Regarding headphone, try different headphones - especially lower ohm ones. I found that makes a huge difference for headphone sound for N1/N2 in the store..

Osho

Thanks Osho!

I'll take a look at some better headphones maybe, good idea. I'm currently using Sennheiser 598 HD's, which are pretty good cans. I think it's less about the headphones, and more about how the Nu1x uses that advanced binaural sampling technology. With headphones on, you feel surrounded by the music, while the n1 with headphones feels very flat, and almost mono sounding.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2708121
01/24/18 02:54 PM
01/24/18 02:54 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

If you use the binaural sounds, I would recommend moving to closed back earphones to get the most out of the effect. The bleed through from open backed phones significantly muddies the positional effect.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Gombessa] #2708123
01/24/18 03:00 PM
01/24/18 03:00 PM
E
Egorbopol Offline OP
Egorbopol  Offline OP
E

Originally Posted by Gombessa
If you use the binaural sounds, I would recommend moving to closed back earphones to get the most out of the effect. The bleed through from open backed phones significantly muddies the positional effect.

ahh good point. I unfortunately don't use the binaural sounds seeing as the n1 doesn't have that feature. I also find that using closed back headphones gets tiring on my ears after hours of playing that way.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2708899
01/26/18 01:49 PM
01/26/18 01:49 PM
A
ADWyatt Offline
ADWyatt  Offline
A

I'd like to ask some questions on the NU1X, if I may. Here in the States Yamaha has already lowered the price of this DP even before many dealers have gotten it in stock, to the point where I can actually afford to buy it this fall. A Midwest authorized dealer is selling it with no tax or shipping charges, and I'm looking seriously at buying.
You either loved or hated the feel of its predecessor, the NU1, and I doubt that anything has changed in that direction. Having played it for an afternoon, I became addicted to the acoustic upright action and the way I'd have to be very careful in expressing emphasis, as it was not very forgiving of mistakes.

I'm going to assume that the NU1X is essentially the same in its mechanical makeup, but here are the questions I'd like to ask:

1) The CFX tone was the best I've ever heard, but I turned down the NU1 because that was the only one of 5 voices that interested me. For those who own or have tested the NU1X, how do you rate the Bosendorfer (I think that's how you spell it)?

2) If I remember correctly, I believe there are a total of 15 sampled voices, and the sound library found in the CLP models. If I'm wrong, could someone please correct me on that?

3) I would guess that the tones of the NU1X would be all I would need, but I do have a lot of money tied up in Pianoteq. Has anyone tried Pianoteq through the speakers, and if so what's your opinion of the live quality?

4) I'm using a software internet program called Piano Marvel to help with lessons, and my current DP has all the connections needed to use that program. Is it possible that anyone might be able to tell me if I could use Piano Marvel with the NU1X?

Thanks for all help, and any additional opinions, anyone would be kind enough to give.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: ADWyatt] #2709001
01/26/18 07:30 PM
01/26/18 07:30 PM
E
Egorbopol Offline OP
Egorbopol  Offline OP
E

Originally Posted by ADWyatt

1) The CFX tone was the best I've ever heard, but I turned down the NU1 because that was the only one of 5 voices that interested me. For those who own or have tested the NU1X, how do you rate the Bosendorfer (I think that's how you spell it)?

2) If I remember correctly, I believe there are a total of 15 sampled voices, and the sound library found in the CLP models. If I'm wrong, could someone please correct me on that?

3) I would guess that the tones of the NU1X would be all I would need, but I do have a lot of money tied up in Pianoteq. Has anyone tried Pianoteq through the speakers, and if so what's your opinion of the live quality?

4) I'm using a software internet program called Piano Marvel to help with lessons, and my current DP has all the connections needed to use that program. Is it possible that anyone might be able to tell me if I could use Piano Marvel with the NU1X?

Thanks for all help, and any additional opinions, anyone would be kind enough to give.

1. I agree the CFX tone is outstanding on the Nu1, and I can safely say that it sounds even better on the Nu1x. The Nu1x has more speakers built in I believe, and a better sub as well, so it sounds fantastic. Personally, I was not a huge fan of the Bosendorfer sample. I felt it was a bit tin'ish, and felt like the sames were recorded with too much natural reverb, it felt distant.

2. There were more voices than the Nu1, thats true. 15 sounds about right.

3. I didn't get a chance to try this with my NU1x, but I'm tinking of trying it with my new N1. From the short amount of research I've done, I've read that VST's often don't sound great through the built in speakers, because VST's are built to output as stereo, and the on board samples use a multi channel output through their unique speaker system. It leaves the VST's sounding worse than expected. I could be wrong about that, and would love to talk with someone who has done this themselves.

4. Yes

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2709003
01/26/18 07:39 PM
01/26/18 07:39 PM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

Portland, OR, USA
3. I didn't get a chance to try this with my NU1x, but I'm tinking of trying it with my new N1. From the short amount of research I've done, I've read that VST's often don't sound great through the built in speakers, because VST's are built to output as stereo, and the on board samples use a multi channel output through their unique speaker system. It leaves the VST's sounding worse than expected. I could be wrong about that, and would love to talk with someone who has done this themselves.

I routinely play Pianoteq 6 and Garritan CFX with the built-in speakers of CA67 - it works great! Of course, this is a matter of personal test, but I definitely prefer it to any sounds on CA67.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2709111
01/27/18 09:56 AM
01/27/18 09:56 AM
Germany
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member
patH  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Germany
<posted in wrong thread>

Last edited by patH; 01/27/18 09:57 AM.

Everything is possible, and nothing is sure.
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: ADWyatt] #2709726
01/29/18 08:17 AM
01/29/18 08:17 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

Originally Posted by ADWyatt

1. The CFX sounds superb through the NU1X, and significantly better than the NU1 through phones - I think the new binaural sampling is a big step forward, and consequently, I only ever play through headphones now... The sound through the speakers, good though it is, just doesn't compare.

I find the Bosendorfer sound to be far inferior to the CFX - it feels much less powerful and dynamic, although part of this may be down to the fact that only the CFX uses binaural processing (phones only).

2. Yes, the NU1X has 15 voices; the first 5 are pianos (CFX, Bosendorfer, plus 3 more, including a couple of uprights I think). The rest are a range of things, including some nice harpsichords, which are fun for Bach. However TBH, after a couple of days I stopped bothering with the other sounds, and just left it on CFX.

3. Not yet, but planning to do so. A friend uses it through his N2, and it does make quite a difference.

4. I don't know the software, or how it works, but if you can load it onto your phone, and use the bluetooth function on the NU1X, you can listen to everything that comes out of the phone.

I find this feature of the NU1X MUCH more useful than I expected - for example listening to other people's performances, playing along to duets, listening to the cricket while I'm practising wink

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2709727
01/29/18 08:19 AM
01/29/18 08:19 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

1. I agree the CFX tone is outstanding on the Nu1, and I can safely say that it sounds even better on the Nu1x. The Nu1x has more speakers built in I believe, and a better sub as well, so it sounds fantastic. Personally, I was not a huge fan of the Bosendorfer sample. I felt it was a bit tin'ish, and felt like the sames were recorded with too much natural reverb, it felt distant.

Completely agree - the Bosendorfer is very thin and lifeless next to the CFX

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2709729
01/29/18 08:25 AM
01/29/18 08:25 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

I agree with you MarkH13. I found that the Nu1x keys were much heavier, and it was harder to play certain passages comfortably, or the way I intended. Not harder because of weight, but just something about the control of the hammer and key, it felt inconsistent. The N1 is still quite heavy, but while heavy, I feel like I still have a great amount of control, not sure if that all makes sense, haha.

Thanks Egorbopol, I know exactly what you mean about the NU1X action - at times the hammer and key feel like they're doing their own thing, regardless of how you press the keys... It's a weird and not very nice feeling!

Luckily it doesn't happen that often, but I'm still debating my next move with Yamaha.

The problem is that the piano sounds fantastically good, and when it's not misbehaving it's magnificent to play... However, it is frustrating and annoying when a rogue loud note pops up from nowhere!

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2711275
02/03/18 05:45 PM
02/03/18 05:45 PM
T
titowsky Offline
titowsky  Offline
T

Hello everybody,
I am following with interest this thread as I would like to buy soon an NU1x.
I already owned an NU1 in the past and I clearly realized the issue, even if it did not disturb me too much: this was always intended for me as instrument to practice in the night and not for real performance.
At the moment I am playing a Yamaha B2... and, while playing it with headphones, I was wondering why the issue is absolutely not there...
I tried everything to reproduce it (normally at Ravel's Ondine it appeared various times each performance) but the response was always as expected... just various missing repeated notes, more or less as expected for such piece if the piano is not a good grand.
Is the electronic part of the B serie actually different compared to the NU1(x)?

Thank you for any clarification.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2711302
02/03/18 08:48 PM
02/03/18 08:48 PM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

Portland, OR, USA
Yes, this issue is unique to NU1X and how it's upright action and sensors are designed.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Osho] #2711359
02/04/18 04:01 AM
02/04/18 04:01 AM
T
titowsky Offline
titowsky  Offline
T

Yes, this issue is unique to NU1X and how it's upright action and sensors are designed.

Osho

Thank you for the clarification.
I am actually not satisfied with my B2, both at acoustic (of course I did not expect much) and electronic side: when I mute it something is changing and my fingers feel very “unnatural” and uncomfortable. This appeared to me better with the NU1x I played yesterday at the shop.
Has anybody done a similar comparison between the two “silent technologies”?

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Osho] #2711367
02/04/18 05:36 AM
02/04/18 05:36 AM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom

Osho

The issue is noted by Yamaha in the user manuals of their NU1(X) and their silent pianos and, presumably, their transacoustic pianos too. So all their electronic pianos with real upright actions.

Roland RD-1000 | Nord Piano 3 | Dexibell Vivo P7
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
VPC1 voltage
by IosPlayer. 11/18/18 10:26 AM
Where are you?
by MacMacMac. 11/18/18 10:16 AM
How will you understand you are not a beginner anymore?
by PianoStartsAt33. 11/18/18 08:54 AM
What's in a nym?
by MacMacMac. 11/18/18 04:03 AM
Clavinova convert problem
by taavikemppainen. 11/18/18 03:24 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,399
Posts2,762,218
Members91,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission