2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Kai C Offline OP
OP Offline
K
My 11-year-old Korg SP-250 no longer has working internal speakers and now the E above middle C is making a load clanging and reverb sound. Think it's time to get a new keyboard. I'm considering the Roland FP-60 or FP-90. I've heard really good things about Roland keyboards, and am especially interested in authentic piano sound and realistic acoustic piano touch with the keys. Any opinions about these Roland keyboards? Any keyboards by other companies of this calibre that I should consider? Thank you very much! Kai

F
F
I am a relative newbie to the piano world and have little experience at trying different keyboards. However I can tell you what most of the folks here will tell you. The experience you get from playing one digital or another is subjective. Your best bet is to try them yourself if at all possible. I know that there have been many positive comments about the Roland models you mentioned. I have a Kawai ES8 that I am quite pleased with. Good Luck with your search!

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
You can research for months and never determine which is best.

As Finfan said .... you need to try them yourself.

Then pick one and start playing.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kai C,

I've never played the FP-60, but I really enjoyed playing the FP-90 when I tried it a music fair a few years ago.

In terms of competing models, the Kawai ES8 should also be on your list of instruments to try.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
I don't have one but I love the Roland FP-90. To me, it has a pleasant touch and a wonderful selection of sounds. Sometimes I wish I had gotten that one rather than one of the ones in a cabinet (although mine does have 6 speakers, which is nice). Different keyboards do seem to feel and sound differently to different people though, so it really is good advice to try them out for yourself. Maybe I am just used to the Roland, but when I try out other keyboards in stores I usually don't like them as much, but I am sure others feel the same way about the companies/brands they are used to!

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 2 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I see no reason to buy FP-60. It doesn't feature best Roland's keybed PHA50, but PHA4 Standard, the same as twice cheaper FP30. The sound engine is not the new fully modeled one as well (might be advantage over FP-90 for some people). I would go for FP30 or FP90 as far as Roland is concerned. If you don't mind Kawai piano sound, ES8 is a great instrument. I had MP7 for over 1 year and and I loved! its electric pianos, looks, controls, build quality and looks. Unfortunately, Kawai sound signatujre is not 'my idea of fun', but it's the matter of personal preference.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
Originally Posted by Qaroll
If you don't mind Kawai piano sound, ES8 is a great instrument. I had MP7 for over 1 year and and I loved! its electric pianos, looks, controls, build quality and looks. Unfortunately, Kawai sound signatujre is not 'my idea of fun', but it's the matter of personal preference.

It's perhaps worth noting that the ES8 and now the updated MP7SE feature Shigeru Kawai SK-EX and SK-5 grand piano sounds, in addition to the Kawai EX found in the original MP7. I agree that these things are highly personal, however I gather that those who disliked the Kawai EX greatly prefer the newer SK-EX and SK-5 samples, while players who enjoy the EX tonal character also appreciate the ability to select samples sets from two completely different pianos.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James

It's perhaps worth noting that the ES8 and now the updated MP7SE feature Shigeru Kawai SK-EX and SK-5 grand piano sounds, in addition to the Kawai EX found in the original MP7. I agree that these things are highly personal, however I gather that those who disliked the Kawai EX greatly prefer the newer SK-EX and SK-5 samples,

Is the SK-EX what's stored under the default position 1 of the piano1 button? "SK ConcertGrand"?

Originally Posted by MuddyFox
Is the SK-EX what's stored under the default position 1 of the piano1 button? "SK ConcertGrand"?

Yes, that's correct.

M
M

That not only makes perfect sense (putting the flagship as the default smile ), it's also, to my ear at least, by far the best sound in the ES8.

And while I have your ear, could you tell me what's hidden behind the "Jazz clean" and "Warm grand" monikers in the ES8? Can't seem to find that info anywhere and those are my other two most used sounds in that box. I'm guessing it's just EQ tweaks of other sounds, but which ones?

And while I have your ear, could you tell me what's hidden behind the "Jazz clean" and "Warm grand" monikers in the ES8? Can't seem to find that info anywhere and those are my other two most used sounds in that box. I'm guessing it's just EQ tweaks of other sounds, but which ones?

Ah, I'm afraid I don't know.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M

If you don't know then I suppose I shouldn't look further because it's just not out there. smile

Thanks for the SK clarification!

B
B
Usually you can tell if you flip between sounds while testing individual notes, particularly at the extremes of the scale. All the extra piano sounds on my cs8 are just variants of the 4 core sounds (sk ex, ex, sk-5, upright (k60?)), whether that's eq, mic perspectives or both I've no idea but there are nauces in the samples that make it fairly obvious.

Or if ears don't work, bunging the wav recordings into the phase view in appropriate software will make it abundantly clear.

M
M
Originally Posted by Bambers

Or if ears don't work, bunging the wav recordings into the phase view in appropriate software will make it abundantly clear.

Really ought to have thought of this myself, I guess... thanks for mentioning it, my ears are a far cry from what they used to be so every bit of tech helps! smile

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Just to rule out differences in ES8 machines .....

I assume you mean't "Jazz Grand" and not "Jazz clean" as I do not have a "Jazz clean" on my machine.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Originally Posted by dmd

Just to rule out differences in ES8 machines .....

I assume you mean't "Jazz Grand" and not "Jazz clean" as I do not have a "Jazz clean" on my machine.

Are you sure Don?

I don't have an ES8 in front of me to check, but according to the owner's manual (p.16) "Jazz Clean" should be the 3rd sound in the PIANO1 category button.

[Linked Image]

Kind regards,
James
x

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Are you sure Don?

I don't have an ES8 in front of me to check, but according to the owner's manual (p.16) "Jazz Clean" should be the 3rd sound in the PIANO1 category button.

I am sure.

Mine says ... Jazz Grand.

My owners manual does say "jazz Clean". I never noticed the discrepancy.

Don

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I noticed I needed an upgrade to my ES8 (I had v. 1.05) so I upgraded to 1.07 and the piano name is still "Jazz Grand".

The documentation for the upgrade indicated some sound names were fixed.

Not mine.

(Yes, I checked to be sure the upgrade worked) .... LOL ...

Don

Hello Don,

My apologies, it appears that this sound is unfortunately written incorrectly in the ES8 owner's manual.

I will look into fixing this point with the next print run.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M

Late to the party but yes, slot 3 Jazz Grand. I was just going off of the (wrong) manual name.
I like that preset a lot and was curious which of the basic sounds was tweaked to get it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission