2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
What is the best way to clean the inside of an upright piano? Mine is very old and is truly filthy. I have cleaned it with a damp rag and sprayed some bleach into it so far.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
If you're very comfortable removing the case parts and action and putting them all back again, that would be a good first step.

Maybe a shop vac, if you have one, next.

So long as you don't do more than dust the soundboard, I'd think any cleaner would be ok, for the rest of the interior, so long as you wipe it off. Maybe start with dish detergent/water solution. For anything that still won't come off, maybe a spray cleaner or fake TSP.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It is best not to use any liquids inside a piano unless you really know what you are doing.

Semipro Tech
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I cleaned my old upright quite effectively using the narrow-nozzle tool on my vacuum cleaner - being extremely careful!

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
If you want to have fun- and make a mess- put the vacuum on reverse and let it fly!
Of course, if someone used rat poison at some point in there, well then- you might wish you hadn't laugh
Seriously- be careful cleaning (protect your airway) for those very reasons--- you never know what's been in those oldies.

I agree with BDB - if you don't know what you are doing, using wet rags is a bad idea.
If you do, bleach water is still not a very good idea.

Distilled white vinegar and water for all the wood is what I use (wrung out good- don't go splashing around in there!).
Tooth brushes are good for grime...As well as the fine tip kits for shop-vacs (as already mentioned)...
A very fine (0000) steel wool with a light touch, for the bass strings-- to remove the old grime in there (do that, if you are going to, before cleaning the rest).

I would think that that should be good enough.
If you do not know how to deal with piano parts- I do not suggest trying to blow out the action- since, on old pianos, it is easy to destroy those old felts and break parts. I would suggest leaving that for your tuner.

Parks and Sons Piano Service
www.parksandsonspiano.com
D
D
Yes to Rick's suggestion for blowing dust out of the piano! In two days, a vertical piano will be moved to our house. I arranged to have it professionally moved, and when I made the arrangements, I said that I wanted a few minutes with the piano parked on the walkway to our front door so I could blow dust out of it. I'll have the vacuum ready to go, and before I blow it out I will remove the action and set it inside. (After the piano is inside I'll tighten all the action screws and then then take it outside and blow dust out of it.) I'm guessing the movers will wait less than 10 minutes for me to be done. I consider this a golden opportunity.

I realize my response doesn't specifically address the topic's question, but I thought it worth mentioning to have it in mind when it is a possibility. This week I cleaned a grand in a school. I moved the piano to an open area of room, sucked in what I could, and then blew out dust from the inaccessible places. I had told a custodian what I wanted to do, and she was fine with it because the carpet was going to be vacuumed that night.

David Bauguess
A
A
I will try this.

H
H
Using any of the Vacuum to clean the inside of an upright. Have anyone tried to use vacuum cleaners? They are the most effective one.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I use a cotton rag soaked in denatured alcohol initially. After I to wiping with a dry cloth here.

Online Content
I would strong advise against bleach, certainly if it is old fashioned bleach containing chlorine. If chlorine ions come into contact with steel under tension they can cause stress corrosion cracking which is likely to lead to failure.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Outside (of the house) I use my backpack leaf blower. 200 mph makes quick work of it. (You will still need to remove the keys to effectively clean under them). Inside the house I use a strong vacuum AND a long bristled brush (as used in faux finishing for faking grain...called flogger). A standard paintbrush will also suffice for the accessible, but the 6" bristles of the flogger cannot be beat for getting into tight places WITHOUT doing damage.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Air Compressor with filter (to filter out humidity) with air nozzle. A similar solution to PW's leaf blower.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission