Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
132 registered members (amad23, Angelos58, ando, Amedeus, ahinton, accordeur, Agent88, AlphaBravoCharlie, 31 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 66 of 68 1 2 64 65 66 67 68
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: DiarmuidD] #2777762
11/03/18 10:21 AM
11/03/18 10:21 AM
France
J
jgbs Offline
jgbs  Offline
J

France
Yes, it's probably true, but if everyone does the same, we will never again have new product on the market!

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: jgbs] #2777814
11/03/18 12:25 PM
11/03/18 12:25 PM
D
DiarmuidD Offline
DiarmuidD  Offline
D

Originally Posted by jgbs
Yes, it's probably true, but if everyone does the same, we will never again have new product on the market!

That is also true.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: rach3master] #2777910
11/03/18 07:06 PM
11/03/18 07:06 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by rach3master
The legs on mine also bend towards the center. I believe that is by design.

Same here. I think it *looks* like the legs bend in, but in reality the outer edges of the legs taper in towards the ground.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778015
11/04/18 10:20 AM
11/04/18 10:20 AM
UK
U
UKchap75 Offline
UKchap75  Offline
U

UK
BUZZING NOISE UPDATE!!!! ALL NV10 OWNERS PLEASE READ THIS LONG POST.

Hi All

So just to give my NV10 history. My NV10 was the first NV10 in England, so definitely first batch. I have since updated to the 1.02 update.

Although I played it in the shop, in the quiet I hadn't noticed the buzzing, but once home in a smaller environment I noticed this noise straight away.

The first issue was a general hum. I realised that the Line In level knob (underneath the keyboard at the back input panel) was set at max. When I reduced Line-in knob to zero the humming pretty much stopped. I posted this on here and hope it's helped a few people.

I also turned the screen onto auto-off, as this also creates a hum (and still does) when I scroll. When the screen goes off, the hum is pretty much gone.

So now to the key note buzz. I have the main volume knob at 90%. Which I imagine most people may set their NV10's to? The buzz from all speakers would occur on all tone levels (bass, mid, treble), but especially mid/upper. I would say on a quiet night play the buzz would take away from what is just an absolutely amazing piano. I absolutely completely love this piano btw. Even with the buzz. The buzz is an extra electrical noise that sounds to me like each key note tone is pushing the speakers too hard, and pushing frequencies that the speakers simply can't handle. My solution plays on this frequency thought.

I've played with all sorts of settings on the Sound and Virtual Technician mensu. I prefer the Pianist mode sound to the Sound mode. It just has that edge that makes the piano feel real and alive. I typically use Pianist mode Full piano sound at default settings. So below is based upon 1.02 default settings. Except for the screen being set to turn off, and the Input volume at min.

This week I have tried something new and have been very happy with the results and improvement to the buzzing. Please try these very simply settings and let me know if it helps at all or a bit or not at all?

So:
- all settings at default 1.02 version.
- screen set to Auto Display Off.
- LCD Contrast at 0.
- note, Wall EQ is off.

Here goes:
- set the volume at about 70% max.
- if the volume knob is the hour hand of a clock with 12:00 at the top (50% volume), set the dial at around 1:00-1:30 (I reckon about 70%).
- turn on the power.
- use Pianist mode. I like Full sound, so try this first.
- go to Virtual Technician.
- go to User Touch Curve and select User and set the sliders as follows:
- Low = +1 dB
- Mid-low = +2 dB
- Mid-high = +2 dB
- High = -2 dB (minus)

For me I found these settings basically increases the volume without needing the volume knob to be 90-100%. It improves the warmth of the mid range, and slightly reduces the brightness. I find the volume to be acceptable and not disimilar to my baby grand. I think we are all tempted to turn the volume up, but perhaps we're just pushing the amplifier too hard? I wouldn't have my TV or stereo at 90-100% volume. I have found this reduces the buzzing on all the pianist mode types, albeit some (like Rich) really push the resonances. It also seems to have much improved the strange loud effect of the non-damped top keys, which always played 10-15% louder than the rest of the keyboard.

Some people may have a much worse buzzing, so this may not solve it for you. And I do agree that it would be great for Kawai to get this sorted out for such an expensive product.

With the improvements achievable with the User Tone Control, I would hope that with much more in-depth control the Kawai team can adjust the internal equaliser much more accurately to have better results and limit the frequencies causing the buzzing? Update 1.03 maybe? smile

I have also played with resonance and ambience and all the VT settings, but none have helped as much as the User Touch Curve, and without losing the nuances and 'singing' of this piano.

I think it would be a good idea (perhaps) to create a list of all users on here, and determine which ones have the problem? (See end of email)

Finally, for anybody considering purchasing the NV10 and reading about this issue I would still recommend this piano. I love love love it. And the buzzing would not stop me buying an NV10. I play it every day. I have an acoustic baby grand that I have not touched since I bought the NV10. It is an incredibly emotional instrument. Perhaps the 1.03 update (which I've heard about) may help. Who knows?

I really hope these settings help?

Regards, Neil.

NV10 owner list:
- UKchap57 (Neil), purchased in the UK, March 2018 (launch), version 1.01 machine updated to 1.02.
..... perhaps UKJames or Kawai can keep a note of this list?

Piano player as hobby. Baby grand acoustic. Yamaha P255. Kawai Novus NV10.
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778032
11/04/18 11:16 AM
11/04/18 11:16 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
In assume that you didn’t mean „User touch curve in the VT”, but you meant “User tone control in the sound settings menu”, right?

BTW, I used to have my NV10 at about the 1-2 o’clock setting that you describe, but since I’ve switched over to Light Touch, I’ve actually reduced it a bit to only a slight bit above 50% (12 o’clock+). That increases the dynamic range on the low end (allowing for very soft pp) while still allowing for a similar loud ff as before (as the lower master volume setting is compensated by the higher midi velocities that can be reached with the Light Touch).

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778049
11/04/18 12:01 PM
11/04/18 12:01 PM
UK
U
UKchap75 Offline
UKchap75  Offline
U

UK
Hi JoBert

I have used the Light Touch and like this too. It probably increases the volume a bit too, but not tried this on these latest Tone settings.

But the settings in my post are the Tone control not touch control.

Without the Tone control I can still get buzzing when I reduce the volume on my NV10.

Do you get buzzing?

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Tyr] #2778062
11/04/18 12:54 PM
11/04/18 12:54 PM
C
cliowa Offline
cliowa  Offline
C

Originally Posted by Gérard
the buzz looks like a sheet of paper or aluminum that would be placed on the speaker.

Exactly - this is what I have been complaining about since February, and what renders the piano largely unplayable. I agree with Vancedo etc that the "treatment" of this issue - aka silence, and lack of even acknowledgment - on the part of Kawai is at best very disappointing and has upset me seriously.

I feel kind of sorry for KawaiJames, who I am sure has been acting in good faith and has been trying to be as helpful as he can in his position, but I do hope that the level of discontent that is on display here will not just continue to go unmet by official Kawai.

To also end on a positive note, I think the ignorance/denial displayed about this problem by some NV10 owners (and that may have further upset those of us affected by it) is probably best taken as an affirmation of the potential of the piano and thus a reason to be hopeful...

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778087
11/04/18 01:55 PM
11/04/18 01:55 PM
UK
U
UKchap75 Offline
UKchap75  Offline
U

UK
Hi Cliowa

My notes are only meant as an attempt to help and assist fellow NV10 owners, not to cause offence. I don't feel it deserved your 'positive note'. I wouldn't call myself ignorant.

Have you tried my settings yet? Although as I stated, my issue on my NV10 may be less than what others are getting; so my settings may not help on your NV10.

Your problem sounds like it's worse than mine. My piano is very much playable, so clearly not as bad. If your piano is that bad then I suggest you should return it.

I've not heard anything from Kawai, but I've not made an overly active attempt at trying to contact them; other than some comments to my dealer when I first got the piano, which I haven't really followed up to be fair.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: cliowa] #2778150
11/04/18 04:30 PM
11/04/18 04:30 PM
So. Calif.
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber

So. Calif.
Why am I ignorant because I am not experiencing this problem? Granted I never play with the volume at 90%. If I could play that loud, I would have bought an acoustic piano.

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778181
11/04/18 05:22 PM
11/04/18 05:22 PM
C
cliowa Offline
cliowa  Offline
C

@UKchap75, TomLC: I wasn't referring to your posts, and certainly any suggestions are welcome! Throughout this discussion there have just been various comments (such as the most recent one by Tyr, saying that he cannot believe this is actually an issue) that range from users not knowing of the issue to denying it is one. In combination with the official silence on the part of Kawai this has -understandably- upset others (most recently and clearly Gérard and Vancedo), so I just wanted to add a positive point of view to that, since I don't think it's productive to turn this board into one where people that complain about the frustrations they have with their faulty products are being rebuked by others that have no experience with just those issues and subsequently to deny them.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: UKchap75] #2778182
11/04/18 05:25 PM
11/04/18 05:25 PM
UK
U
UKchap75 Offline
UKchap75  Offline
U

UK
Thanks JoBert. Just also changed the touch curve to Light and volume down to 60% and so far I would say the buzz is basically gone! smile Loving my Novus even more tonight! smile

PS You're also right, I incorrectly said that the User Tone was in VT menu but it's in the sound menu. Cheers.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778188
11/04/18 05:36 PM
11/04/18 05:36 PM
So. Calif.
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber

So. Calif.
cliowa, Just to be clear, I don't deny some of you have a problem with the sound on their NV10's. I also don't think that Kawai is ignoring the problem. I do think that if you have such a problem you need to address it with your dealer. I guarantee you that if my dealer and Kawai service had not replaced my original NV10, I would have demanded a refund. Or my attorney would have for me. Fortunately I received only the best service and attention to my problem.

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Gérard] #2778406
11/05/18 12:55 PM
11/05/18 12:55 PM
Indianapolis, IN
O
opus64 Offline
opus64  Offline
O

Indianapolis, IN
@Gerard,

Apologies for the late reply, I had not checked the forum in a while.

I just read your posts and the problem you describe is -exactly- the problem I have with my unit. Your description and video did a much better job at capturing the problem than I ever could. The sound in the video is exactly what I experience.

Your intuition that this is a 'resampling' problem is my gut feeling as well. It almost sounds as if the digital processing routed to the speakers is under-sampled. The distortion/noise/hissing has a 'digital aliasing' quality to it, although it could be certainly be something else.

My experience with Kawai has been similar to yours. They are polite and responsive, but unfortunately do not provide any actual specific information about the problem. In my experience, this is not uncommon with Japanese companies, the service and tech support have very little communication from the headquarters in Japan and so they often have little inside information about what is really going on with a problem such as this.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what else I can do. I considered my only option as returning the unit, but I really do like the action and the sound through headphones. I can glimpse how great it would sound over speakers if only the noise would be gone. So for the moment I am using it mostly through headphones, hoping that we will see a solution from Kawai.

It is really disappointing that after so many months Kawai hasn't provided an official communication regarding such a fundamental problem on a high-end product touted for its audio quality.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778460
11/05/18 03:36 PM
11/05/18 03:36 PM
B
buchacz Offline
buchacz  Offline
B

UKchap75, thanks for your help. I have done all you said, step by step and... nothing changed. frown Only a soft squeak has disappeared from the bottom speaker, but it still makes a noise/buzz like not tuned radio. Interesting thing - this little squeak appears only when audio bluetooth is on.

TomLC, I've bought in on thomann.de, and I'm from Poland. So they shipment is via 'Kuehne und Nagel' (german logistics comapny) and that's all - then you must assemble it on your own. Yet it is impossible to connect the cables in a wrong way, unless it is something inside...

Tyr, I have checked the line-in volume knob and turned it to the left. Nothing has changed. And I also have a feeling that some isolation strip or cable is vibrating inside.

redfish1901, no offense but a piano in the price of a good car should not buzzing and make any sounds except those from the keyboard!!! It is like you bought a car without one wheel, and the car manufacturer would explain to you that you still have 3 wheels!!! It's simply pathetic. frown

Now I don't know what to do... The shop (thomann.de) gives the possibility of returning the piano in 30-days period. I'm just hesitating: change it to a new one or return it? As UKchap75 said - and I completely agree - the sound of this piano, the keyboard and the emotions are amazing. I will let you know what the end of this story will be.

---
buchacz
Kawai NV10, Yamaha CLP-280
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: buchacz] #2778471
11/05/18 04:15 PM
11/05/18 04:15 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by buchacz
Tyr, I have checked the line-in volume knob and turned it to the left. Nothing has changed. And I also have a feeling that some isolation strip or cable is vibrating inside.

Just to make sure (because "turn to the left" is rather ambigous for a round knob): The knob has a little marker tick, and it has labels "max" and "min". The idea was, to turn the knob so that the marker tick points to the "min" label, i.e. to turn the line-in input level to minimum. Maybe get a flash light and check that you didn't turn it to max by accident (thus making the problem worse).

There have been reports here in the thread where those additional noises were fixed by adding additional shielding (probably to some cables? I don't have the details about that). This could be done by a Kawai technician. Does Kawai give a warranty for the piano if sold to Poland? If yes, then contact them to get this fixed. Otherwise, maybe Thomann can organize the technician for you to fix this (but I guess it has to be technician who is familiar with the problem, not just any technician who happens to be near you).

Also, if you want to check for a loose/vibrating cable: The back side is easy to open. Just remove the obvious screws on the back and tease out the back board. Then you can see if there is something loose that you might tighten. Lots of pics here in the thread (further up) from the insides of our pianos. smile

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778614
11/06/18 01:37 AM
11/06/18 01:37 AM
G
GoodCuzStub Offline
GoodCuzStub  Offline
G

These things must be like actual grands.. the same model two different pianos and one can be great and one can be a disaster

I tried the NV at a dealer and the sound was not good, and the action felt too heavy. It was really unimpressive, next to something like the avant grand action. It certainly didnt sound like it does in some of the youtube demos.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778645
11/06/18 05:43 AM
11/06/18 05:43 AM
A
Agent88 Online content
Agent88  Online Content
A

I don't own one of these pianos. And I read about the speaker issues a day or two ago (hope I've got the right thread). So hopefully I'm remembering correctly. But I'm laying here in bed too sick to sleep (don't put off getting the flu shot like I did!). And I may or may not have some helpful advice. Here goes...

One of the Porches I've owned had an infernal buzzing from a few speakers that drove me mad. I was convinced the speakers were faulty, were damaged on a test drive, or there was a problem with the wiring or amplification system.

Interestingly, the service techs seemed well familiar with this problem. When I first heard what they were going to try I was pretty upset thinking it was a ridiculous answer to what seemed like a more serious problem. But it worked.

The solution turned out to be remounting the speakers over a layer of black felt tape. Presumably the speakers were free to rattle at a high enough frequency that sounded like a buzzing. I would NOT have thought that what was essentially a rattle could have been the problem. So I wouldn't quickly dismiss this as being different from what some of you are experiencing. And, notably, what some of you are not experiencing.

I'm not sure how intrepid and DIY you folks will be inclined to be with your pianos still under warranty. But Kawai James, please consider getting some felt tape (I guess you could go to a Porsche dealer and ask for a little piece of what they use and try to match it (or buy a roll)) into the hands of a couple of your technicians responding to these complaints and try remounting the speakers over a layer of felt tape so they seat more fully.

I doubt Kawai is going to rush headlong into an expensive solution. But this might be an economical answer for the people experiencing a buzzing issue.

I hope this helps. And of course I realize it may not. But I've some history with high fidelity audio and even to my ears -- which I would call experienced -- it would have never occurred to me that remounting a driver with felt tape would be the answer to what I was hearing. So at the risk of looking foolish I'm offering recounting this experience in the off chance it helps someone.

I'm pecking this out on my phone. And it regularly changes words (overactive autocorrect "feature"). And my head hurts too much to proofread this. So if there's a nonsense word choice or spelling choice, please direct your confusion to my iPhone. Thank you.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Agent88] #2778704
11/06/18 10:41 AM
11/06/18 10:41 AM
Milano
N
newer player Online content
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
N

Milano
Originally Posted by Agent88
One of the Porches I've owned had an infernal buzzing from a few speakers that drove me mad. I was convinced the speakers were faulty, were damaged on a test drive, or there was a problem with the wiring or amplification system...The solution turned out to be remounting the speakers over a layer of black felt tape. Presumably the speakers were free to rattle at a high enough frequency that sounded like a buzzing.

Normally decent speakers have a gasket to isolate at mounting point; the gaskets may be of rubber, foam, felt, etc.

I suppose the Porsche guys were trying to shave off a few Euros off the cost of your car by eliminating the gasket & labour. I had the same problem with my VW Polo lol

Not sure if Kawai used gaskets with the drivers. . .

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: newer player] #2778725
11/06/18 12:10 PM
11/06/18 12:10 PM
A
Agent88 Online content
Agent88  Online Content
A

After a miserable night with little sleep I'm remembering back and wondering if the felt wasn't actually used to isolate the back or sides of the speaker from touching something or some wires. Sigh, I'm not sure after ten or eleven years. Either way I would be checking for something that could be vibrated. And also checking to see if the driver made the buzz when disconnected from contact with the piano. Just trying to isolate the fault. Then even trying another driver. Sadly I just don't have it in me to go back and see whether people experienced the same thing with headphones.

Originally Posted by newer player
One of the Porches I've owned had an infernal buzzing from a few speakers that drove me mad. I was convinced the speakers were faulty, were damaged on a test drive, or there was a problem with the wiring or amplification system...The solution turned out to be remounting the speakers over a layer of black felt tape. Presumably the speakers were free to rattle at a high enough frequency that sounded like a buzzing.

Normally decent speakers have a gasket to isolate at mounting point; the gaskets may be of rubber, foam, felt, etc.

I suppose the Porsche guys were trying to shave off a few Euros off the cost of your car by eliminating the gasket & labour. I had the same problem with my VW Polo lol

Not sure if Kawai used gaskets with the drivers. . .

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Agent88] #2778865
11/06/18 10:18 PM
11/06/18 10:18 PM
Indianapolis, IN
O
opus64 Offline
opus64  Offline
O

Indianapolis, IN
The solution turned out to be remounting the speakers over a layer of black felt tape. Presumably the speakers were free to rattle at a high enough frequency that sounded like a buzzing.

It is an interesting thought. I went back and found some pictures I took of the speakers when I had the back off:
Picture 1
Picture 2

While the quality of the noise to me sounds like a digital artifact, if it takes much longer to hear anything from Kawai I can't say I won't try it.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778891
11/07/18 02:54 AM
11/07/18 02:54 AM
UK
U
UKchap75 Offline
UKchap75  Offline
U

UK
Something could be lose, but on mine it doesn't quite feel like that.

I think if it was just lose components Kawai would simply send out engineers to tighten all the screws - or I would hope.

I think it is more fundamental hence no response from Kawai yet. Clearly some commercial decisions to make - which is fair enough. That's business unfortunately.

For me and my piano, I now feel it was simply too loud, and with poor equalizing. Both of which could be fixed with software update. Albeit the latest tweaks I've made (and with JoBerts help) my piano seems sorted. Been busy at work so not done more checks the last few days though.

As mentioned in previousl posts though, other peoples pianos sound like a worse issue than mine.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778894
11/07/18 03:59 AM
11/07/18 03:59 AM
A
Agent88 Online content
Agent88  Online Content
A

I think Kawai may be thinking that if they acknowledge it everyone will claim to hear it. And the idea of sending someone out to fix everybody's may be quite a lot of money relative to profit margin per unit. Pure conjecture on my part of course. But I can't understand their reluctance to even acknowledge anything. Assuming they're even thinking about it. Or researching the issue.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778895
11/07/18 04:03 AM
11/07/18 04:03 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
Big difference between software programming error and cabinet rattle due to lack of sealing in the construction. And as stated, they'd exhibit different symptoms. Another possibility is a miss match in the amplification and speaker set up.

Perhaps there's more than one thing, otherwise you'd have thought it would have been sorted out by now.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778912
11/07/18 06:45 AM
11/07/18 06:45 AM
B
buchacz Offline
buchacz  Offline
B

Guess what - a new symptom has appeared! Now my piano is "rattling" from bottom speaker while increasing the volume (use headphones to here it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2zdhC9DES0

That's it. I'm sick of it.
I am replacing it to a new one. And the only reason I'm not returning it is the fabulous sound and keyboard.

---
buchacz
Kawai NV10, Yamaha CLP-280
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778929
11/07/18 08:38 AM
11/07/18 08:38 AM
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Online content
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

Melbourne, Australia
Anyone who still thinks Kawai doesn't have a quality control problem now is in complete denial. I've never heard of a failure rate this high - even Roland's key-top saga wasn't this bad, and they fixed that very promptly and publicly acknowledged the problem. It's totally unacceptable to be silent on this issue with a flagship product. At the very least, they should be briefing dealers on how they are solving the problem and ask them to communicate with their customers. But nobody is saying anything. It's being treated like a normal warranty problem only affecting a tiny percentage of units. This is a flagship product and it's being treated like a $200 starter keyboard. Incredibly disappointing. I was thinking of taking a look at the Novus for my new studio. There's no point at the moment. Shame. Get it together, Kawai!

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2778971
11/07/18 01:05 PM
11/07/18 01:05 PM
Zurich
S
Smaug Offline
Smaug  Offline
S

Zurich
I was seriously considering an NV10 but I've given up waiting for the problems to be fixed and am looking at the (seriously discounted) Yamaha N1 & N2. I played an N1 today which was next to an NV10. The buzzing from the NV10 was apparent. The N1 may not have quite as nice a tone, but at half the price here now it makes a great VST controller!

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2779013
11/07/18 03:37 PM
11/07/18 03:37 PM
Westminster, CA
V
vancedo Offline
vancedo  Offline
V

Westminster, CA
Personally, I used to thought that a piano company, especially a Japanese one, put their heart and soul into creating an instrument. Plus, Japanese have their reputation of creating perfect product. Turned out that after all, Kawai is just a trivial business company. I dont know and dont want even know how excellent their other piano, both digital and acoustic, are. For the Novus NV10, I am confident enough to say Kawai failed such a big time. Their attitude is not Japanese's that the world know. I assume that Kawai is Americanized way too much and expands internationally in a way that they could not keep up with quality check. Even sadder, once you look the internal of the piano, you have the same feeling that of an fancy exterior product but cheap junk speakers inside.

Now, why do I still keep it?
1. I need a digital piano in order to work with midi orchestration though DAW. I have tested a lot of midi controllers like Kontrol S88 and VPC1 and other digital pianos. The NV10's responses to midi and cc lanes are perfect.
2. I want a digital piano with near acoustic action. NV10 does that well. Some people say it is too heavy then you never play on other grand. They have much much heavier action. For me, NV10's action like between light and medium.
3. The exterior is phenomenal. I can't express how beautiful it is. Whenever I heard a buzz, I take a break, deep breath and look at it a far. Its beauty alone calm me down a bit.
4. After installing custom firmware by an Kawai technician, the buzz is very rare present. Around 1 2 time a week. It is still there but at least not as much. However, the sound is noticeably different than original sound.
5. I hope and wait for for new update even though at this state of Kawai being slow and silent. I hope and pray that it may fix the issue.
6. This is unrelated and strange but I could hide some stuff inside the piano.

Here are some reasons telling me that I should return even with re-stocking fee or some sort:
1. Get VPC1 or Kontrol S88 since these two key action is somewhat near the NV10. Then get a extreme high-end speakers to go with it.
2. Use my Ivory II and Vienna Synchron CFX as the sound.
This kind of set up outweigh the sound of NV10 and save a lot of money compare to NV10's price. Of course, I could the same set up with NV10 but why should I. There is no evident reason to spend $10000 to buy NV10 and never use its speakers.

So, I am debating between the two. If the new firmware doesn't fix the buzzing issue and bring back the original sound, I will be more urgent to return the NV10 but I don't know.

Kawai Novus NV10
www.youtube.com/vangakuz
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2779016
11/07/18 03:44 PM
11/07/18 03:44 PM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Online content
IosPlayer  Online Content
I

Istanbul
Wow, vancedo, very interesting reading. A great hiding place! Fantastic. Why not the MP11 se? Four zone midi controller, better action possibly, more connectivity and thousands left for the ultimate speaker setup.
Seems like the way to go while you still can and beautiful in its own hardwarish way. You can always sell it if when the next great thing comes along, as it surely must.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070
1915 Steinway B
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Agent88] #2779019
11/07/18 03:50 PM
11/07/18 03:50 PM
A
Agent88 Online content
Agent88  Online Content
A

I think Kawai may be thinking that if they acknowledge it everyone will claim to hear it. And the idea of sending someone out to fix everybody's may be quite a lot of money relative to profit margin per unit. Pure conjecture on my part of course. But I can't understand their reluctance to even acknowledge anything. Assuming they're even thinking about it. Or researching the issue.

Looking back I'm most certain I meant to say I "CAN" understand their reluctance to publicly acknowledge anything, not that I "can't" (I tapped that out on my phone and autocorrect has a mind of its own!). Especially if they haven't figured exactly what the problem is or what they can do about it at what price. But this is not to say I would appreciate that being a customer with a piano with an issue. Only that I can understand things from a manufacturer's position.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2779025
11/07/18 04:06 PM
11/07/18 04:06 PM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Online content
IosPlayer  Online Content
I

Istanbul
I have become curious about this issue. I searched the web for problems with the NV10'and could only find PianoWorld. There were a couple of German posts but the problem didn't seem to be about speakers. Shouldn't there be more of a ruckus? It sounds like a widespread problem.

Also I found this: Onkyo Collaboration
Kawai’s collaboration with hi-fi audio company Onkyo gives the NV10 the sound projection and clarity it deserves. The DIDRC filter technology removes the unnecessary high frequencies and static noise that digital instruments produce at loud volumes, resulting in a more natural sound. This feature maintains the classic tone assigned to Kawai pianos, whilst eliminating any undesirable background noise. The NV10’s speakers are specifically positioned to project groups of frequencies. The lower facing speakers produce warm, thick bass tones, whilst the top speakers project clear highs. The result is a rounded overall sound with authentic projection for both the audience and the performer. Onkyo have also designed the headphone speaker experience, so your rehearsals and private use remains immersive.

Perhaps it is an Onkyo problem and Kawai is in the middle somehow. Kawai' QC has come under fire for models like the MP7se and I myself have seen a problem riddled MP11. Kawai James has been conspicuously silent. He is a very good guy caught between a rock and a hard place perhaps.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070
1915 Steinway B
Page 66 of 68 1 2 64 65 66 67 68

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
VPC1 Setup
by Makalajala2. 11/14/18 01:31 PM
Thoughts on Kimball Grand Pianos?
by Aydan. 11/14/18 01:25 PM
Roland- headphones
by Nordomus. 11/14/18 10:52 AM
Memorizing
by Manne janne. 11/14/18 10:18 AM
Dave Frank Solo Concert: Ballads and Burners
by Dfrankjazz. 11/14/18 10:08 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,332
Posts2,760,997
Members91,487
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission