Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
110 registered members (AndyP, AaronSF, ahumdrumoflife, amad23, agent8698, antwilk, Agent88, ando, AlphaBravoCharlie, 22 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 63 1 2 3 4 5 62 63
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2711880
02/06/18 09:10 AM
02/06/18 09:10 AM
P
PianoGuyStuart Offline
PianoGuyStuart  Offline
P

Originally Posted by JoBert
My Novus has arrived today and is looking mighty fine:

[Linked Image]

Alas, I don't dare to switch it on yet. It has been on a truck for several days now and was thoroughly chilled down. There's heavy condensation (the keys even have a slightly wet feeling) and I don't dare to connect it to the power mains or switch it on, as I guess that the condensation inside, on the electronics, is likely just as bad. So I have to wait until tomorrow until I dare to actually play it! cry

Looks great. Congratulations!

Still think it's odd though that they didn't 'polish' the back part. When you look at the shape of it it really could be in the middle of the room (as an option anyway), if they had simply polished the back.

Have you got a picture of the back part we could look at? Be interesting to see how the shipped version ended up looking from the back.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: PianoGuyStuart] #2711890
02/06/18 09:40 AM
02/06/18 09:40 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by PianoGuyStuart
Have you got a picture of the back part we could look at? Be interesting to see how the shipped version ended up looking from the back.

I don't have a picture handy right now (could post one later), but I can already tell you, that the back side is definitely not meant to be looked at. It's fine for such cases of minor exposure as mine (if you check the picture), where I can walk behind the piano to get access to the book case, at which point I'll of course have the back side in my view, but I would never turn it around to face the room.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2711891
02/06/18 09:49 AM
02/06/18 09:49 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Here is a not so great angle of the back I snapped:

[Linked Image]

I will say it is very similar to other hybrids in this sense. There's an NU1 I play that is also positioned facing the room, and the back is similarly unfinished with a cord sticking out the bottom. I guess it's just a thing with these upright format DPs...

The ironic thing is stage pianos/slabs meant to fact the audience sometimes have lights and rainbow displays dancing around a huge logo on the back smile

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2711907
02/06/18 11:09 AM
02/06/18 11:09 AM
中国
N
newer player Online content
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
N

中国
The back is rather unseemly. The fix is easy, albeit silly for a 10.000 euro box.

You could just take two pieces of thin wood or metal, bond them together like a "T" in the shape of the back panel. Then paint with some glossy paint & clear coat from an auto shop.

Alternatively, you could just have a local auto body shop do the painting and baking for pro work.

Another option is to buy some Lexan in black color. But that is rather delicate, is rather expensive and will easily scratch.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: newer player] #2711912
02/06/18 11:18 AM
02/06/18 11:18 AM
G
Galuwen Offline
Galuwen  Offline
G

Or put some tour stickers on the back....

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: newer player] #2711915
02/06/18 11:28 AM
02/06/18 11:28 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by newer player
The back is rather unseemly. The fix is easy, albeit silly for a 10.000 euro box.

You could just take two pieces of thin wood or metal, bond them together like a "T" in the shape of the back panel.

I have to admit, I've thought the same. Unscrew the matte back boards, clear coat them generously, and have a more uniform look overall?

In my brief time with the NV10, my thoughts about its greatest drawbacks are:

1. Yes, the back is unfinished and wouldn't look very nice in a position where the pianist is facing the audience.

2. The music rest seems like a complete afterthought. It has two very basic screwed-in hinges, and a small, adjustable height stop. And what's more baffling is that the music rest occludes much of the two back speakers when it's laid down flat. It doesn't seem to impact the performance of the speakers, but it's practically impossible not to notice.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2711916
02/06/18 11:34 AM
02/06/18 11:34 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
To be honest, I have toyed with the idea of ordering a sheet of plexiglas/perspex in the size of the upper back panel (you can easily order this stuff online, cut to size) and replace the panel with it, so that one can view the action mechanics from the outside. What's stopping me from this craziness right now is, that I wouldn't be able to see it anyway, when sitting in front and playing. smile

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2711917
02/06/18 11:37 AM
02/06/18 11:37 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Yeah, you'd not only need to replace the front panel, but also the fallboard in order to see the action at work while playing :P First world problems, eh?

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2711927
02/06/18 12:00 PM
02/06/18 12:00 PM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

Portland, OR, USA
Have you turned it on yet? 😀😀

Thanks
Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2711960
02/06/18 01:30 PM
02/06/18 01:30 PM
J
jfl Offline
jfl  Offline
J

Please, Please, Please. After you've had some time with it, would it be possible to upload some sound samples directly miked from the speaker system (preferably classical content or alternatively jazz) to SoundCloud?

(If I get one of these, the top half of the back will be exposed to the room. I'll be pinning a light tapestry to that.)

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2711973
02/06/18 02:09 PM
02/06/18 02:09 PM
France
C
Cosi Offline
Cosi  Offline
C

France
The music rest looks a little bit high, is it a problem for you ?

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2711977
02/06/18 02:14 PM
02/06/18 02:14 PM
Europe
J
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Europe
Originally Posted by JoeT
I'm interested in how the the whole package (action and sound, over headphones and into the room) compares to a baby grand with silent in the same price range, because that is what the Novus is competing against.

I cannot speak about how they compare, because I never tested a baby grand with silent, but I can say that, at least here in Germany, there actually isn't a fair competition between the two, because here those two are not in the same price range: At Thomann, the GL10 with ATX2 currently costs 13,000€ (down from 16,900€ MSRP), the NV10 only 9,000€ (down from 9,590€ MSRP, all prices with tax included). So the GL10ATX2 is almost 50% more expensive than the NV10 at street price (and even more so at list price).

Remove the silent option and you're down to 10k. Similar enough. The expensive part is the grand action, so first question for me is: Why not go all the way? (I know, space constraints. wink )

Having to pay up for going from a digital with a grand action all the way to a complete grand piano (with a digital included) is expected. Nothing wrong with that.

High-end digitals are in some ways superior to cheap upright pianos. So that is why I'm interested in: How does the Novus compare to entry-level baby grands? In silent mode and played aloud. Saloon grands and up don't matter, we know no digital can beat them.

Last edited by JoeT; 02/06/18 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Kawai ES100 | Pianoteq 6 | Ivory II American Concert D | Steinberg UR22 | Sennheiser HD595
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoeT] #2711978
02/06/18 02:19 PM
02/06/18 02:19 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

So that is why I'm interested in: How does the Novus compare to entry-level baby grands? I silent mode and played aloud. Saloon grands and up don't matter, we know no digital can keep beat them.

So, action-wise at least versus a GL-10, it'll be more or less identical. That I can say from firsthand experience.

I think most of your question will hinge on the speakers/amplification.

Headphones will sound the same if using the same tone generator (but note that the Pianist Mode in the NV-10 is more advanced than what's currently available in the Anytime modules).

Playing the acoustic in silent mode with speakers seems kind of pointless to me, though there is that option. Maybe if you need to monitor MIDI recording real-time, or play along with a backing track?

Playing an NV-10 through speakers, compared to a GL-10 played acoustically, is probably the big question. I didn't compare this directly, other than to note that the NV-10 can get a lot louder than I thought it would.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2711999
02/06/18 02:51 PM
02/06/18 02:51 PM
M
madshi Offline
madshi  Offline
M

As I hinted at in my write up, it could have been my fault, not the action’s. It could be that I’m simply not used to a real grand action, so it “felt” strange. And I played “cold”, so that could also have been the reason for my problems in fast passages. I could have tested again [...]

Haha. When starting to read your review, I was thinking: After you played the NV10 and got used to the action, now PLEASE go back to the N1 and check if you like it better now. So sad you didn't... wink

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Gombessa] #2712002
02/06/18 03:20 PM
02/06/18 03:20 PM
Europe
J
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Europe
Originally Posted by Gombessa
So, action-wise at least versus a GL-10, it'll be more or less identical. That I can say from firsthand experience.

The feel should be identical, as it's advertised as almost the same action. However how do the keyboard sensors compare? Same system? More accurate on one of them?

Headphones will sound the same if using the same tone generator (but note that the Pianist Mode in the NV-10 is more advanced than what's currently available in the Anytime modules).

Should come out the same minus some DP advancements here and there, but that needs to be verified first hand, too.

However once you have MIDI in your piano action, you can go with any virtual or physical digital instrument and compare them directly to the real thing on the same action. Even at the same time.

Playing the acoustic in silent mode with speakers seems kind of pointless to me, though there is that option.

I agree, nobody does that. You usually install a transducer onto the soundboard if you want projection for your digital sounds. Some people even find it pointless to play with headphones on a silent piano, but even in quiet hours with digital sound production you're still sitting at and playing a grand. So instead of moving over to some DP slab in your bedroom while the grand collects dust, you actually put some practice time into your piano.

Playing an NV-10 through speakers, compared to a GL-10 played acoustically, is probably the big question. I didn't compare this directly, other than to note that the NV-10 can get a lot louder than I thought it would.

Yes, that's the other very interesting question. What sounds better and more real[tm]? wink

Kawai ES100 | Pianoteq 6 | Ivory II American Concert D | Steinberg UR22 | Sennheiser HD595
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoeT] #2712003
02/06/18 03:29 PM
02/06/18 03:29 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

The feel should be identical, as it's advertised as almost the same action. However how do the keyboard sensors compare? Same system? More accurate on one of them?

Take this for the hearsay it is, but I think Kawai James said before that he thinks it uses the exact same IHSS sensor setup as on the AnytimeX grand silent systems. The images on the Kawai site of the sensor rail, the optical shutters on the hammers, etc., seem to bear this out as well.

Should come out the same minus some DP advancements here and there, but that needs to be verified first hand, too.

While I think you should definitely verify for yourself, I did test this and found it to be the case. The ATX through headphones sounds just like my MP11, I'm not sure if Concert EX is a default piano or anything. I know there's some special Onkyo magic in the NV-10 so it may sound better, but you'll need someone who is way more of an audiophile than I am to determine that smile

Yes, that's the other very interesting question. What sounds better and more real[tm]? wink

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, if I could have a grand in my house and was limited to <$15,000 budget, I would take a 5ft GL-10 in a heartbeat over the NV-10. Yes, it's a small grand and won't have the volume or deep bass of a larger piano, but it's still a true acoustic instrument, with all of the complexity and richness that brings. I got the NV-10 mainly because a grand is NOT an option, I really wanted as authentic an action as possible, and if I do graduate to an acoustic piano at some point, I like to think I'll be aiming for a 6-7ft (after putting in a few thousand more overtime hours).

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Gombessa] #2712008
02/06/18 03:47 PM
02/06/18 03:47 PM
Europe
J
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Europe
I'm going to go out on a limb and say, if I could have a grand in my house and was limited to <$15,000 budget, I would take a 5ft GL-10 in a heartbeat over the NV-10. Yes, it's a small grand and won't have the volume or deep bass of a larger piano, but it's still a true acoustic instrument, with all of the complexity and richness that brings. I got the NV-10 mainly because a grand is NOT an option, I really wanted as authentic an action as possible, and if I do graduate to an acoustic piano at some point, I like to think I'll be aiming for a 6-7ft (after putting in a few thousand more overtime hours).

Kawai actually wants us to buy grand pianos. That's why they put out flagship digitals like the NV10, so they can upsell us to grands. That kind of psychology works, as this thread shows. Last year I was considering a CA17, now I'm looking into the GL series already.

[Linked Image]

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Gombessa] #2712052
02/06/18 05:04 PM
02/06/18 05:04 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by Osho
Have you turned it on yet? 😀😀

Yes, I have. And it's working. cool Why do you think I haven't shown up in the thread here earlier? wink

He he. I am still in "evaluation mode", meaning, I'm not yet able to just engross myself into the music, as I'm still listening to every tiny sound detail (is that an aliquot resonance I hear there?) and paying attention to every tiny touch difference (hmm, the black keys are smooooth) and constantly think about settings (should I try a different velocity curve? how about a different rendering character?). That is really distracting!

I can say that it is definitely very different than my CA97, and there are lots of things I have to get used to until they are my new "normal".

For example:

The feel of the action. About this I am actually very excited. The action feels very good to me, and my impression from my testing on Saturday has been confirmed, that I feel that I have more control in fast passages and fast ornaments. The action gives me a "rich" and "flush" sensation. It seems to "stick" to my fingers (I'm exaggerating of course, but this is difficult to describe) and especially when playing mf/f/ff feels very substantial and when it bottoms out it somehow manages to feel soft but without feeling squishy. Since the real grand action was the main reason to buy the Novus, I'm very happy how this turned out.

The pedal is further back below the piano (which is probably more realistic compared to an acoustic grand?), so I have to hold my leg differently. This I haven't gotten used to yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time and then I'll feel that the pedal on the CA97 (or comparable) is too close.

The speaker sound. This is where I'm encountering the biggest difference. On the CA97, the sound comes at me like a "wall" that surrounds me, so that I feel that I sit in a sound field. With the NV10, the sound is more indirect. It spreads into the room and I hear it with a bit more distance, not so directly as with the CA97. I don't have enough experience with an acoustic grand, but I can imagine that there the sound is also more indirect? Maybe it's also only because the CA97 is in front of a wall that can reflect the sound immediately, while the Novus is in the corner that you see on my picture. I may yet try it in front of the wall to hear if that makes a difference. Anyway, to be honest, right now, after only a good hour or so on speakers (before I had to switch to headphones) I'm still missing that "sound field" that my CA97 gives me.
On the other hand, the sound of the Novus is clearer. Where the "sound field" washes the sound into a big whole, the more indirect sound of the Novus allows me to hear single notes in a harmony or chord more clearly. I'm not willing to make a judgement which of the two is "better", but right now I'm definitely still more used to the sound "style" of the CA97, and it will take some time to get used to the new style of the Novus.

The noise that the action makes when I play with headphones is quite a bit louder with the Novus than it was with the CA97. Those real hammers, wippens and damper weights make much more noise. And I have to learn to release the pedal less abruptly, because if all these damper weights fall down at once, you can hear the thump.

Originally Posted by jfl
Please, Please, Please. After you've had some time with it, would it be possible to upload some sound samples directly miked from the speaker system (preferably classical content or alternatively jazz) to SoundCloud?

I have no mic to do so. The only way I could make such a recording would be directly with the smart phone. Which would be in such a bad quality, that it would be useless for any kind of evaluation.

Take this for the hearsay it is, but I think Kawai James said before that he thinks it uses the exact same IHSS sensor setup as on the AnytimeX grand silent systems.

I remember that too. I'm pretty sure that James wrote that the sensors are exactly those of the ATX2 AnytimeX system.

Sorry that I cannot be of help with this. I have very little experience with grands at all (mainly only the few tests I did at Thomann last weekend) and there the smallest was a GL-30, and even for that the details have faded so much in my memory, that I can't really compare it in a meaningful way to how the NV10 sounds here in my living room. Except for that I remember that indeed the max volume seemed about comparable (as I wrote in my first post).

Last edited by JoBert; 02/06/18 05:07 PM.
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoeT] #2712053
02/06/18 05:05 PM
02/06/18 05:05 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK

Kawai actually wants us to buy grand pianos. That's why they put out flagship digitals like the NV10, so they can upsell us to grands. That kind of psychology works, as this thread shows. Last year I was considering a CA17, now I'm looking into the GL series already.

Kind of offtopic, sorry Jobert, hope you are enjoying the Novus smile

I wouldn't restrict yourself to just having a Kawai vision, I am not saying you are, but if prices are anything like the UK, the Feurich and Hailun models I liked more than the GL 10, GL 30 pianos, as for Hailun I am saying that of without having tried them, but heard some demos, very nice, but the Feurich range is made in the same factory, same design, have more of that European sound if that is your cuppa. Sure it is a matter of taste, but the cheaper Kawais ( GL series ) lack a bit depth and warmth in tone IMHO and have more of that metallic twang in the same sizes.

in the UK you could buy this at this price to compete with the GL 10.

https://www.broughtonpianos.co.uk/hailun-grand-pianos

If my experience with the Feurich 161 and 178 is anything to go by then I'd pick that quite comfortably. I am no expert, but if the other subforums are anything to go by it does seem with Hailun and Feurich you are getting a lot of piano for the money these days it seems to me, compared to yamaha and kawai that is in that price range.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2712056
02/06/18 05:20 PM
02/06/18 05:20 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

On the CA97, the sound comes at me like a "wall" that surrounds me, so that I feel that I sit in a sound field. With the NV10, the sound is more indirect. It spreads into the room and I hear it with a bit more distance, not so directly as with the CA97. I don't have enough experience with an acoustic grand, but I can imagine that there the sound is also more indirect? Maybe it's also only because the CA97 is in front of a wall that can reflect the sound immediately, while the Novus is in the corner that you see on my picture.

Nice, glad you're enjoying the new piano!

FWIW, I've always felt that way about grands. When I was a kid, we moved from an old Baldwin upright to a baby grand, and I recall specifically thinking that it wasn't quite as loud (probably because I'm no longer sitting directly in front of the soundboard). Unless the grand is in a very small room, I've never felt even larger 7fters being *too* loud, though it has been overpowering in occasion for others in the same room.

I recall several people making the same comment about the N2 and the N3 too, that the N2 had speakers more directly positioned at the pianist.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Alexander Borro] #2712065
02/06/18 05:53 PM
02/06/18 05:53 PM
Europe
J
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Europe
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
I wouldn't restrict yourself to just having a Kawai vision, I am not saying you are, but if prices are anything like the UK, the Feurich and Hailun models I liked more than the GL 10, GL 30 pianos, as for Hailun I am saying that of without having tried them, but heard some demos, very nice, but the Feurich range is made in the same factory, same design, have more of that European sound if that is your cuppa. Sure it is a matter of taste, but the cheaper Kawais ( GL series ) lack a bit depth and warmth in tone IMHO and have more of that metallic twang in the same sizes.

That's alright, Yamaha is still in the race, too. wink But beyond the Japanese brands the choice of affordable APs with proper MIDI output and up to date digital sound modules is pretty thin.

If my experience with the Feurich 161 and 178 is anything to go by then I'd pick that quite comfortably. I am no expert, but if the other subforums are anything to go by it does seem with Hailun and Feurich you are getting a lot of piano for the money these days it seems to me, compared to yamaha and kawai that is in that price range.

If I had the (sound-proof) space and budget, I would go for a properly refurbished German saloon grand and use it day and night. There are glorious used pianos out there just waiting for a new owner. But they're all too big, too loud and (for the well known brands) still too expensive. Also there are gorgeous sounding and loud upright pianos - thanks to their huge soundboard, but put them in an apartment and you get in trouble if you use them too often. Once you silence them, you deal with the inferior upright action.

So here we are looking for "a little bit more than just a digital", which is the audience the so-called "hybrid piano" is aimed at. I like to discuss and compare them to their nearest relatives.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2712068
02/06/18 05:58 PM
02/06/18 05:58 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Since I know that the forum here is a bit obsessive about such details, and just for the fun of it, tried to measure the pivot lenght of my NV10. smile
Unfortunately I could only measure up to the front edge of the key button (the little wooden "hump" an top of the keystick that strengthens the keystick around the balance pin). At the C4, the distance from the front edge of the key (including the little overhanging plastic lip of the white keytop) to the front edge of the key button is exactly 22.5cm (8.85827 inch). So the pivot length is a few cm more, depending on how long the key button is, and where in the button the balance pin is.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Alexander Borro] #2712069
02/06/18 05:59 PM
02/06/18 05:59 PM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro

I think the Feurich 178 and 179 are the best 'bang for buck' in new grand pianos now. For the same price you can only get entry level (new) Yamahas and Kawais. I think the Feurich is the superior instrument by some margin.

Roland RD-1000 | Nord Piano 3 | Dexibell Vivo P7
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2712070
02/06/18 06:02 PM
02/06/18 06:02 PM
J
jfl Offline
jfl  Offline
J

The music rest and pedal placement seems very comparable to the N2. I use a K&M tabletop music stand at home and always have a bit of adjustment when I play a Yamaha grand at my lessons reading music as there's more head movement going between music and hands. But the NV10 is realistic and that regard. I always pull the music stand as far forward as possible on an acoustic grand and that appears to be the position on the NV10. Comparing photos, the NV10 music stand seems to be a bit wider than the N2. I would always have the stand upright. Still would love to hear the sound through the speakers, but I might have to wait until my dealer gets one. Would also be very curious to know how this works as a MIDI controller with sound going back through the internal audio system.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoeT] #2712077
02/06/18 06:22 PM
02/06/18 06:22 PM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

Portland, OR, USA

[Linked Image]

Ha ha... be careful where you are heading to smile Pretty soon you will find that no grand piano less than 7' has satisfactory bass and there you go up one notch in your budget!! Speaking from experience....

Osho

Last edited by Osho; 02/06/18 06:23 PM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Cosi] #2712078
02/06/18 06:30 PM
02/06/18 06:30 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by Cosi

I forgot to answer this (thanks to jfl for reminding me). It is indeed higher and a bit further away than that of the CA97, but I think it's realistic for a grand. It's not a problem, but yes, it's also one of the things I have to get used to. The avant grands are 7-8cm higher than the novus, iirc, so their stands should be even higher.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2712086
02/06/18 06:41 PM
02/06/18 06:41 PM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
Originally Posted by Cosi

I forgot to answer this (thanks to jfl for reminding me). It is indeed higher and a bit further away than that of the CA97, but I think it's realistic for a grand. It's not a problem, but yes, it's also one of the things I have to get used to. The avant grands are 7-8cm higher than the novus, iirc, so their stands should be even higher.

Yes, it is high on the N2, about 38.75 inches. You get used to it.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2712325
02/07/18 12:55 PM
02/07/18 12:55 PM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

Portland, OR, USA
Since I know that the forum here is a bit obsessive about such details, and just for the fun of it, tried to measure the pivot lenght of my NV10. smile
Unfortunately I could only measure up to the front edge of the key button (the little wooden "hump" an top of the keystick that strengthens the keystick around the balance pin). At the C4, the distance from the front edge of the key (including the little overhanging plastic lip of the white keytop) to the front edge of the key button is exactly 22.5cm (8.85827 inch). So the pivot length is a few cm more, depending on how long the key button is, and where in the button the balance pin is.

How did you measure it? Did you open it up? Does that not void the warranty?

Osho

Last edited by Osho; 02/07/18 12:55 PM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2712326
02/07/18 12:59 PM
02/07/18 12:59 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Interesting, I missed this post!

I think the cap is called a "key button."

A 8.86" length to the key button suggests a pivot point similar to the the 9.5" length to balance pin on the Grand Feel/Grand Feel 2 actions. Perhaps a little bit longer.

But in any case, that's a genuinely "long" keystick/pivot.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2712343
02/07/18 01:53 PM
02/07/18 01:53 PM
UK
B
Bambers Offline
Bambers  Offline
B

UK
I think it's even longer, what are you assuming for the buttons? They're not as small as the ones on the AGs etc. A quick measure on the available images suggests around the 10-10.5 range to the white pivot depending on the assumed white key to fallboard length (which is typically 6"/15cm or slightly less).

Page 3 of 63 1 2 3 4 5 62 63

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the best way to learn improvisation?
by saratogaUSA. 10/21/18 05:07 PM
Apps
by Markuska. 10/21/18 04:25 PM
Classical Improvisation Websites?
by Horbie Peekler. 10/21/18 03:25 PM
Is playing by ear important
by Wayne2467. 10/21/18 02:59 PM
Beydynamics DT 880 Pro, ProRecord, PianoTeq
by Piano World. 10/21/18 12:07 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,917
Posts2,754,478
Members91,306
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission