2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 195 of 302 1 2 193 194 195 196 197 301 302
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Viva Novus!

Originally Posted by navindra
However, if Kawai offered the CA99 improvements as a paid upgrade, I would certainly jump at the chance.

Same here...it's a little early to call but it looks like they address all the issues I have with the NV10. A pity the electronics of these things can't be upgraded - the action will never be outdated! But I guess that's what VSTs are for (they kept me using my MP9000 for 18 years).

Novus NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Zack C
Originally Posted by navindra
However, if Kawai offered the CA99 improvements as a paid upgrade, I would certainly jump at the chance.

Same here...it's a little early to call but it looks like they address all the issues I have with the NV10. A pity the electronics of these things can't be upgraded - the action will never be outdated! But I guess that's what VSTs are for (they kept me using my MP9000 for 18 years).

While I certainly wouldn't complain if there was a hardware upgrade path for the NV10, I think we have a good sense now that what you see is what you get. Still, I think there *might* be more of a chance to get some much-desired software updates, such as full MIDI support for Pianist Mode, transferring saved songs to USB, and viewing/editing/exporting favorites.

I think even these feature requests are unlikely for existing models, but Kawai does actively work on bug fixes.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Still, I think there *might* be more of a chance to get some much-desired software updates, such as full MIDI support for Pianist Mode...

When I first got the instrument, before I was aware of the other MIDI/note metadata-related Pianist limitations, I asked Kawai about transposition as I couldn't believe it would be present in Sound mode but not Pianist mode. I was told "Transpose is only available in Sound mode due to the complex interactions in the resonance modeling used in Pianist mode. Transpose is something the engineers are considering adding in the future though I don't know if that will be possible as an update or not for the NV10." If adding it was straightforward, I suspect it would have been there from the start, and I suspect the other Pianist limitations (lack of resonance modeling, recorder limitations) are related. I fear that, as with turning off the LCD backlight, a solution requires a hardware update.

As for improvements in managing favorites, while this wouldn't require new hardware, to my knowledge no new features have been added to these instruments since their release (only bug fixes), so I agree it isn't likely we'll see this in the future.

That said, the one feature from the CA99 I'm still holding out hope for is additional velocity curves...seems like it would be easy to add.

Novus NV10
P
P
Originally Posted by Zack C
That said, the one feature from the CA99 I'm still holding out hope for is additional velocity curves...seems like it would be easy to add.

My guess is that they reject every change that contradicts the explanations in the user manual. If the manual says that there are N curves to choose from, it will be N fullstop. The best I could hope for is that they tweaked a "bad" curve to become more useful, as long as there is substantial improvement to achieve and the new curve still matches name, description, and whatever else about it is written in the user manual. (you see where I'm going).

I wish I could move (drag) the "current position" cursor in the music player, to jump backwards or forwards in a recording, but it isn't in the manual :-( It could be added as a "silent" feature (it wouldn't be a contradiction, just an omission in the manual), but my hopes aren't high.

Maybe the hackers among us should consider team up and make a custom patched firmware project? Someone already analyzed the serial comm between touchscreen unit and sound processor.

Last edited by pppianomarc; 02/04/20 11:14 PM. Reason: typo
Hi folks, I haven't posted for a while, but have read the posts. JoBert (several pages ago) described exactly what I did to get the right "feel" in my NV 10. Sometimes, when playing in a darkened room I do sense that I'm playing my Chickering (that was one sweet piano). Ah, but then I start to pound out some dynamics, and I'm back with the NV10. I'm pretty sure that I'll be happier if I can get some sufficiently capable speakers. Ive been looking on line at some Yamahas. Did I miss a thread on the topic of speaker (passive or active) selection? If not, those who are using external speakers, please share.

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There have been many discussions of this topic ...
Originally Posted by Tommy1947
Did I miss a thread on the topic of speaker (passive or active) selection?
You can search here to find the pertinent threads:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_ax7Q3Bn4Zmm1ZHjeD4zLxbpCX8y5cQw/view

V
V
I was in a Kawai store that had both the NV-10 and the CA-99, and noticed that the CA-99 had a newer, (and to me) more intuitive touchscreen user interface (UI). Does anyone know if Kawai plans on updating the NV-10 UI with the one on the CA-99 through a firmware update, and if so, when that might be expected?

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by violnhead
Does anyone know if Kawai plans on updating the NV-10 UI with the one on the CA-99 through a firmware update, and if so, when that might be expected?

Kawai James has said no to updating the UI on the NV5/10 and CA-78/98.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
You like a’ the Novus? blush

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by violnhead
I was in a Kawai store that had both the NV-10 and the CA-99, and noticed that the CA-99 had a newer, (and to me) more intuitive touchscreen user interface (UI).

In addition, in CA79/99 models the screen can be completely turned off, along with the backlight (although, for some reason, only after a future firmware update. Given how many wishes this feature had previously, it is strange that new models initially come out without this feature).

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by 9190
In addition, in CA79/99 models the screen can be completely turned off, along with the backlight (although, for some reason, only after a future firmware update. Given how many wishes this feature had previously, it is strange that new models initially come out without this feature).

I have a conspiracy theory that's probably nonsense.

This way, potential buyers don't notice the difference in the store, so they don't have an extra reason not to buy a nv5 or nv10, while at the same time the people like us that do their research are pleased with the new models, since they know the update is coming.

I am on to you, evil geniuses of Kawai marketing department! smirk

R
R
Ok. Flipped from NV 5 to NV 10... Which arrived yesterday. You might get a pic if a can work out how to embed... Firmware 1.02

Anyway there was a hissing buzz.. but that was just the Bluetooth . Once I connected my phone it disappeared. It's beautiful, fits better than my cs11.

Spent all day playing it. The action works for me and I felt very connected to the piano. The speakers on top provide a different sound field which is more immersive. (Playing Spotify through it was strange) you could feel where the sound was coming from from.

There are a lot of quality of life improvements on the UI. And I can see recording my teacher to play left and right for me to play against via phone.

I looked at a few baby grands before giving up because the room has too much variation in temp and humidity. But its definitely it's beats the gl10, base Yamaha and was close to a refurb ritmuller both in sound and action. Actually sound was close to the £50000 schimmel. Digital pianos spoil us in that respect. Pianist mood isn't specific but the speaker set is on the way it's done with sympathetic resonance from strings not being played that aren't there screwe with my head.

I understand the thought we speakers being underpowered but the other side is that it creates headroom to explore more dynamic settings and touch. But 70% felt like the sweet spot.

Love the look and have a few reservations re pedals... Sustain feels relatively narrow range of movement and heavy. Feels like I've gone from a clutch to a tripwire wire with a narrow bite.

By the end of the day... I'd tuned into the action... My left hand definitely needs taming. As a late starter I ti tend to reach for notes with finesse of someone reaching for a lifebelt on the Titanic and this was definitely exposed. But I can see you with different dynamic setting as you progress the piano can accommodate and support that.

Will put a few recordings once I understand how to do that..please understand played from expression and fun rather than accuracy. I'm not doing 30 takes. Speaking of which the new interface really helps that. The only thing missing is screen turn off. T'other stuff can do wi'out. But even that, once you're in the moment I forgotten.

So overall, it's highly immersive, teaching me how to refine my touch, and my foot !, Beautiful design and the UI really supports the advantages of going digital but most of I felt incredibly connected.

R.

Novus NV10. Taking it 1 note at a time.
Online Content
Congrats on your new piano!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Contreras rubycon5! I really enjoyed reading your report.

u3piano: one thing to remember is that the UI itself has been updated too, so it's not just the different backlight behavior that would catch a purchaser's eye!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
R
R
Cheers Team,

Just home. Thankyou for the affirmations. My sincere apologies for the number of typos in my post. I wrote on the train on the way into work using my phone. Thankyou for persevering.

R

(So that's what the preview button is for!)

Novus NV10. Taking it 1 note at a time.
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Congratulations rubycon5!! Glad to know you are enjoying NV10.

There seems to be stiffness issues with some of the NV10 sustain pedals: they are too hard to press. You should talk to your dealer and have it looked at. Kawai Warranty is usually great. I had that issue and they fixed it by replacing a spring that controls the tension for the sustain pedal.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats, rubycon!

If you haven't checked already: The main version number in the UI 1.0.2 is only part of the story.

See here on how to check the system software version:
https://www.kawai-global.com/data/updates/nv10/nv10_v102_en.pdf

and make sure you indeed have the latest. Currently 1.0.2j

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, welcome to the club., Rubycon 5. What was your reasoning to spend the extra mullah for the NV!0?

Kawai NV10
JoBert #2949684 02/21/20 03:00 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
In my quest for more detuned sound options on the Novus NV10, I gave Pianoteq another whirl. I used a MacBook Pro, USB MIDI, and 3.5mm output from MBP to Novus. All wires, no Bluetooth.

To my disappointment, there's a noticeable lag comparing the native sound output versus Pianoteq sound via Novus speakers. It was alleviated somewhat with a different touch curve on the Novus, but not entirely, and I still felt a disconnect between action and sound. I didn't like the new touch curves anyway.

Is this solvable or just a fact of life with VIs and the Novus+MBP MIDI/audio chain?

Page 195 of 302 1 2 193 194 195 196 197 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission