Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
105 registered members (AnnInMiami, anotherscott, ando, BarryR, akressevich, 90125, bambooninja, 26 invisible), 1,209 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 117 of 119 1 2 115 116 117 118 119
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2801103
01/12/19 03:59 AM
01/12/19 03:59 AM
Norway
O
oivavoi Offline
oivavoi  Offline
O

Norway
+ 1.

I'm in the market for the VPC-2 when it appears (it has to appear at some point, right?). Have been very happy with my CS10 so I had some customer loyalty built up. Going to buy an acoustic at some point, and thought of complementing it with the VPC. But seeing how Kawai has fumbled the NV-10 situation has made me more skeptical.

Last edited by oivavoi; 01/12/19 04:04 AM.

Happily improvising at my Kawai CS10
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2801132
01/12/19 06:54 AM
01/12/19 06:54 AM
C
cliowa Offline
cliowa  Offline
C

Just to confirm: Also for me the hissing is a phenomenon of the internal speakers (and much more mildly so also via headphones). I just bought a line out cable to connect to my stereo system, and there's no such noise via external speakers. (I don't have the setup with a VST and thus cannot recreate what opus64 describes.)

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: opus64] #2801161
01/12/19 08:36 AM
01/12/19 08:36 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
Originally Posted by opus64
Originally Posted by toddy

It can't be that because there is a firmware fix that reportedly limits high frequencies. That couldn't overcome a problem in the amplifiers or speakers - so the problem (or at least one of the problems) must be in the sound generator or elsewhere in the digital domain.

That's not quite a given. The 'amplifier' stage is not just a dumb analog stage, there is a lot of digital signal processing.

Since these stages are digital, they could be updated with a firmware update -IF- they reside on programmable hardware or the relevant parameters are programmable, I do not know if this is the case but it is possible.....I am convinced that it is a problem in the digital signal processing/digital amp section that goes to the on-board speakers.

I think we are in agreement here - we are both suggesting that the problem is digital and not generated, for example by capacitors in the amplifier.

However, this assumption appears to be contradicted by this from cliowa

Just to confirm: Also for me the hissing is a phenomenon of the internal speakers (and much more mildly so also via headphones). I just bought a line out cable to connect to my stereo system, and there's no such noise via external speakers. (I don't have the setup with a VST and thus cannot recreate what opus64 describes.)

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: toddy] #2801195
01/12/19 10:22 AM
01/12/19 10:22 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
500 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Originally Posted by toddy
I think we are in agreement here - we are both suggesting that the problem is digital and not generated, for example by capacitors in the amplifier...

But has Kawai ever acknowledged that the NV and CA models have any kind of problem whatsoever? Was the GUI reset when plugging headphones ever acknowledged? Were the numerous bugs with the favourites management ever acknowledged? Was the speaker hissing in the NV ever acknowledged? Was the lack of iOS/Android app support ever acknowledged?

Maybe Kawai is quietly trying to sort out these problems and will provide support to its CA/NV customers very soon. Or maybe they are readying the next generation of CA/NV models based on the input that their beta-testers customers provided.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2801205
01/12/19 10:48 AM
01/12/19 10:48 AM
USA
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber

USA
From what I have been told here close to the US Kawai distribution/headquarters, they are handling each customer complaint (and there are not a lot of them) on an individual basis. One at a time. They provide Kawai in Japan information regarding each occurrence. Actually, the same as acoustic piano service calls. The technician manager for So. California (acoustic and DP’s) said that they get very few calls for the NV10. The majority being for acoustics as there are a lot of them in use, of course.

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2801236
01/12/19 12:37 PM
01/12/19 12:37 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Tom, that's what my experience has been like as well--issues reported to, and updates/responses from Japan. I think it's easy to get caught in the pianoworld "bubble" (which probably represents the 0.5% most engaged purchasers across all brands/models) and overestimate the percentage of real world owners experiencing or agreeing with what we collectively discuss here.

In any case, I do hope that all affected owners get a fully satisfactory resolution to whatever issues they're experiencing. IMO the NV10 is such a great instrument to play that it's such a shame some owners are having problems that detract from the joy they should be feeling.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: arc7urus] #2801251
01/12/19 01:13 PM
01/12/19 01:13 PM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
Originally Posted by arc7urus
But has Kawai ever acknowledged that the NV and CA models have any kind of problem whatsoever?

Tacitly, yes, by putting out a digital HF filter fix. Why would they do that unless there were a problem such as distortion and /or noise in that frequency range?

Even so, perhaps there is no problem after all and this is just a case of mass hysteria. Improbable.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: Gombessa] #2801256
01/12/19 01:17 PM
01/12/19 01:17 PM
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T

Germany
Originally Posted by Gombessa
IMO the NV10 is such a great instrument to play that it's such a shame some owners are having problems that detract from the joy they should be feeling.

+1

I wouldn't had sold mine if there were some small problems which are easy to fix, but there was too much wrong on it. I'm extremely picky i know. On the other hand, i think it's justified be picky at that price level.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2801273
01/12/19 02:01 PM
01/12/19 02:01 PM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
500 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Handling customer complaints and requests on an individual basis obviously works great for Kawai (and other big DP brands as well). Most customers will contact the dealer where they bought the keyboard. The dealer will then do his best to classify the complaint as something "normal" or "expected" and it may only take action in case of some major malfunction. So I am not sure if Kawai is even aware of how customers complaints are being handled at dealer level. Some customers may actually try to contact Kawai directly but I believe those will be a minority.

Therefore, having UI issues or hissing speakers may be considered "normal" behaviour for the majority of customers. So, it becomes "normal" not to release frequent system updates because most customers don't even know that the DP can be updated in first place. As you have said, the "bubble" we have here at this forum is not representative.

Let me just tell you what happened to an acquaintance who bought a CA78 a while ago. Recently he told me that his DP was "perfectly fine" but then he added that the screen "went blank for some seconds" after plugging headphones. I asked him if he had already contacted Kawai for a repair or replacement, because that defect has been observed in some CA/NV units. He said that the dealer told him this was "the normal behaviour when connecting headphones", so he never bothered again because he could hear sound as soon as he plugged the headphones. So, why should Kawai be releasing frequent updates or sending technicians to repair such units? It is much easier and cheaper to pretend everything is fine and keep a minority customers individually appeased until the next generation of DPs is brought to the market...

In my case, I own a CA98 and considered upgrading to the NV10. Given the issues with the CAx8 and NV10 and lack of acknowledgment of those issues from Kawai, the NV10 is not an option anymore. But, again, I am in the minority group, so it does not matter.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: arc7urus] #2801287
01/12/19 02:35 PM
01/12/19 02:35 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by arc7urus
So, why should Kawai be releasing frequent updates or sending technicians to repair such units? It is much easier and cheaper to pretend everything is fine and keep a minority customers individually appeased until the next generation of DPs is brought to the market...

My only comment here is that Kawai arguably DOES have frequent updates and is trying to address issues for all uses, not just individually. There have been 3-4 firmware updates in the ~1 year since the nv10 had been released, those updates contain fixes/workarounds to various issues reported by users, and they're available to everyone to download. I'm not trying to argue that these updates have fixed everything that people have complained about, but the way they release firmware is similar to how other major manufacturers do--they release them online and leave to users the job of discovering updates are available (too bad none of the maker's notify registered users proactively).
In fact, Kawai is the only maker I know if that has a rep regularly notifying the public (on pianoworld) when updates are actually issued (Kawai James often makes a new post when an update is released).

It's not like they only send custom firmware updates to those who complain (though they DO send beta updates to individuals to help test fixes and address issues more quickly for those who are affected, a practice I think is laudable).

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2801291
01/12/19 02:44 PM
01/12/19 02:44 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
In a world where all piano manufacturers are evil, Kawai are probably the least evil smile But yet, it’s so disappointing there’s still no fix. I believe either it can’t be fixed through software and so would require a board swap which would be too difficult and expensive in the field, or they just decided to become a bit more evil than they used to be. I don’t like that to be honest. It’s one of many reasons for me to not buy a fourth Kawai piano in a row.

Soundcloud Profile - solo piano compositions, arrangements, reharms
Currently: DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX, Yamaha NU1X
Previously: Kawai (ES7, MP6, CA63), Roland (RD-700SX, FP-5), Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2801294
01/12/19 02:52 PM
01/12/19 02:52 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by CyberGene
I believe either it can’t be fixed through software and so would require a board swap which would be too difficult and expensive in the field

It' can't be a board swap issue. Otherwise you would think it would be fixed in a later product revision for new buyers, and I haven't read anything to suggest new buyers never become afflicted. Many OEMs rev their products all the time, even while leaving the main model number the same. I've gotten for example Cisco switches with the same model number but major revisions in their main circuit boards. So that would not be the only reason for not addressing an issue of hardware. Honestly, I think they haven't fixed it because like many large companies, it takes time to investigate and then to approve a fix. Consider how long it took before VW came out with their fix for diesels? And that was with even Governments screaming about it. Kawai's pressures from customers can in no way even compare smile

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2801312
01/12/19 03:43 PM
01/12/19 03:43 PM
USA
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber

USA
Originally Posted by CyberGene
In a world where all piano manufacturers are evil, Kawai are probably the least evil smile But yet, it’s so disappointing there’s still no fix. I believe either it can’t be fixed through software and so would require a board swap which would be too difficult and expensive in the field, or they just decided to become a bit more evil than they used to be. I don’t like that to be honest. It’s one of many reasons for me to not buy a fourth Kawai piano in a row.

My observation is Kawai tech’s will certainly replace a main board, or a UI board, if that will solve the problem the customer is experiencing. As I said earlier, each customer’s problem to be solved is different. To be handled case by case. An overall fix is not likely, if it even is possible. The person Arc7urus mentions could easily call Kawai if his dealer is unresponsive. The dealer’s full responsibility is to make a phone call to Kawai. Why in the world wouldn’t he do that? If the whole piano is replaced (which you all know is my case), the dealer is not responsible. If you had bought a grand for less than $10,000 (a cheap piano) you would likely need several visits from a technician in the first year. In my opinion, as I said before, if I was Kawai I wouldn’t have tried so hard to please everyone in the acoustic and digital piano universe. It made the instrument too complicated. But I have found the warranty service excellent!

However, like Gombessa I have empathy for those who don’t seem to getting the same responsiveness from Kawai that I have. In your shoes, I would demand that response from the dealer and from Kawai technical service rather than wait for a software update.

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2801496
01/13/19 08:56 AM
01/13/19 08:56 AM
C
cliowa Offline
cliowa  Offline
C

I don't have much prior experience with Kawai, so I cannot speak to their overall support level or make any comparisons to other brands. What I can say is that my experience with the support for the Novus has not been one to recommend. And this is not a matter of not demanding things or being too lazy to really follow through with questions and complaints. I have been in touch with everyone from local dealer to distributor and finally Kawai (in Germany) itself, and indeed it has broken my trust in a brand that I had previously thought to have a reputation for good quality and high product standards in general.

From the reactions I have gotten it seems clear that Kawai is aware of a serious problem, but is not willing to acknowledge that. (For example, I am being told that a return and exchange would not make sense, since likely the new instrument would suffer from the same issues as the old one. So what is one to think of the fact that they keep being advertised and sold happily?) Kawai's strategy of dealing with the issue (whatever that is supposed to mean here, given the lack of progress) "on an individual basis" seems to me more reminiscent of an effort to try to quiet noise about the problem rather than an effort at error resolution. Of course this might be a common marketing strategy for any sort of mass market product, but I guess I had fooled myself into believing that with a "high-end" instrument like the Novus one would be treated to an honest customer service, rather than a wave of dismissals until maybe at some point a solution is found.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: cliowa] #2801503
01/13/19 09:20 AM
01/13/19 09:20 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by cliowa
I don't have much prior experience with Kawai, so I cannot speak to their overall support level or make any comparisons to other brands. What I can say is that my experience with the support for the Novus has not been one to recommend. And this is not a matter of not demanding things or being too lazy to really follow through with questions and complaints. I have been in touch with everyone from local dealer to distributor and finally Kawai (in Germany) itself, and indeed it has broken my trust in a brand that I had previously thought to have a reputation for good quality and high product standards in general.

From the reactions I have gotten it seems clear that Kawai is aware of a serious problem, but is not willing to acknowledge that. (For example, I am being told that a return and exchange would not make sense, since likely the new instrument would suffer from the same issues as the old one. So what is one to think of the fact that they keep being advertised and sold happily?) Kawai's strategy of dealing with the issue (whatever that is supposed to mean here, given the lack of progress) "on an individual basis" seems to me more reminiscent of an effort to try to quiet noise about the problem rather than an effort at error resolution. Of course this might be a common marketing strategy for any sort of mass market product, but I guess I had fooled myself into believing that with a "high-end" instrument like the Novus one would be treated to an honest customer service, rather than a wave of dismissals until maybe at some point a solution is found.

In their defense, if this is such a huge issue as you say it is (which I am not arguing against), then it will take time to come up with a proper solution. Perhaps the firmware update was an attempt to mitigate the problem until a better solution is arrived at.

I recommend continuing to offer feedback to Kawai, as this will help them to ensure they arrive at a good solution.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: cliowa] #2801509
01/13/19 09:49 AM
01/13/19 09:49 AM
T
trebb Offline
trebb  Offline
T

Originally Posted by cliowa

Exactly my experience. They could and should have found one of the working units and send it to me. Instead, their "service" went through three stages:
  • 2 weeks of blaming the customer
  • three months of pointless repair attempts followed by
  • four months of ignoring me.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2801954
01/14/19 02:22 PM
01/14/19 02:22 PM
Italy
Erard Offline
Erard  Offline

Italy
I tried to connect the NV10 using bluetooth MIDI to a PC running Windows 10 - using loopMIDI and Midiberry.
NV10 appears in Device Manager under Bluetooth but does not appear in Midiberry at all, so I cannot choose it as an input device and route it to loopMIDI.

Is it possible to use the NV10 bluetooth midi in Windows?
Any suggestions?

[Linked Image]

Yamaha C3M - Kawai Novus - VSL CFX - Garritan CFX - Pianoteq Pro - American Concert D - Ravenscroft 275
PC -> Sonarworks Reference 4 -> RME Babyface Pro -> Schiit Yggdrasil + Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & HD800
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2801971
01/14/19 03:01 PM
01/14/19 03:01 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
No suggestions, just the observation that I too was unsuccessful when I tried connecting to my new Surface Pro tablet with Windows 10. I was able to pair the piano, but it would then immediately disconnect and be listed only as paired, not as connected. And obviously it then also never showed up in any app.

Bluetooth MIDI support is relatively recent in Windows 10 and it seems that there are still problems with it. Also, at http://kawai-global.com/support/bluetooth Kawai lists only iOS and OS X / macOS as officially supported for Bluetooth MIDI. So I gave up and use a USB cable instead that I routed around the back of the piano to the tablet that is on the music stand anyway.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2801972
01/14/19 03:09 PM
01/14/19 03:09 PM
N
navindra Online content
navindra  Online Content
N

FWIW, can confirm Bluetooth MIDI works with iOS and macOS with my CA98.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2801978
01/14/19 03:19 PM
01/14/19 03:19 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Same here, BT MIDI worked fine for me on macOS. I haven't had the opportunity to test on Win10 yet.

FWIW, I didn't find BT MIDI acceptable for general playing. Compared to USB MIDI, there's 10-20ms additional latency over the air, which is readily perceivable if you've spent a moderate amount of time trying to minimize it. I think that's nearly double total finger-to-ear latency, and it's just not worth the convenience of eliminating a cable.

Page 117 of 119 1 2 115 116 117 118 119

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs yamaha conservatory grands
by kokatla. 01/17/19 09:10 PM
Name that piano! Prizes! Fame!
by Bruce In Philly. 01/17/19 07:26 PM
Concerns about buying the MP11SE due to possible MIDI issues
by Scriavel Bachmanin. 01/17/19 05:14 PM
Debussy plays Clair de Lune
by prout. 01/17/19 05:11 PM
Yamaha P-255 to P-515?
by MegaPiano. 01/17/19 03:56 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,633
Posts2,782,961
Members92,145
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission