2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, FredrikNilsen, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
Recently the humidity in my piano room is 50 - 60% and temperature 20 degrees Celsius.

There is a damp chaser inside.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano Valentine
Recently the humidity in my piano room is 50 - 60% and temperature 20 degrees Celsius.

Was it much different before?

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

P
OP Offline
P
No, the nuisance sounds the same.

P
OP Offline
P
Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

The temperature was similar before, but I didn't notice the humidity.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Oh the buzzes came back !

Well, at least you experienced some temporary joy in thinking you found and fixed the problem. smile

I've experienced that same "ah oh, time to try something else" many times.

On my grand piano with the fall-board lock buzz, I could play the offending note, take my other hand and put pressure on the the top of the fall-board lock and the noise would change/go away completely. The cotton trick worked for me, permanently (or at least until I sold the piano:-).

My advice? If at first you don't succeed, try, try again... smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
OP Offline
P
Hi Rickster,

Wow you can read my mind !

Yes, when the buzzes came back I said to myself, "At least I temporarily enjoyed a whole week and I think it's not incurable."

Had a word with the third tuner over the phone. He said he would come and check it again, free of charge. Next time I must watch carefully and see if I can fix it all by myself later.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, and ASK QUESTIONS!

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Mine has developed a couple of buzzes too here and there when playing certain individual notes or even chords in certain keys. One source is my son's Cajon in the same room. Eb5 makes the strings inside the Cajon vibrate. I'm also wondering if something on my piano lamp is vibrating sympathetically. I could also tell that at least 1 is coming from the piano itself. I suspects maybe a loose hinge or screw, especially with the colder, dry weather we're having here causing the wood to shrink. So I got out a straight-head and Philips-head screwdriver and spent some time going thru all the hinges, etc., on the piano. I found several screws that were just a little loose. This seems to have improved. I've got 1 screw that feels striped out, so I think I'm going to have to put a little wood glue or filler in the hole to tighten that up.

GC13 #2710033 01/30/18 10:34 AM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by GC13
I've got 1 screw that feels striped out, so I think I'm going to have to put a little wood glue or filler in the hole to tighten that up.

Fillers are for appearance only, don't trust them to hold a screw. Yellow woodworking glue and some real wood is the way to go. Fill the hole and let it dry. Then cut the wood off flush with a chisel or sharp knife. Drill your pilot hole and put the screw back in.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
P
OP Offline
P
The third tuner told me it was sympathetic vibration. I don't know what it is.

Just now I discovered something. I played across the whole keyboard, stepped on the right pedal every time when I played another note. So I stepped on the pedal 88 times. It turned out that there was no buzz at all.

Then I returned to Chopin Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 from Bar 57 onward. I just played the left-hand part, stepped on the right pedal once every four notes. The buzzes immediately appeared again.

I can't understand why.

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Here is my suggestion which some may consider "overkill" and possibly costly but just might identify your problem

Obtain a digital recorder, e.g. like my Zoom H4n and connect a shotgun microphone and enable the unit to output sound through headphones whilst the recording is active or on standby. Shotgun microphones are designed to greatly reduce the volume of received sound from its sides. Thus the microphone becomes extremely directional.

By using the setup you could point the microphone both around the piano and around the room to determine the direction at which the buzz is loudest. Even better if you have access to an analog audio mixer is to set the equalisation to reject frequencies widely different to the buzz frequency (some more advanced mixers have variable band-pass filters that you could set to enhance just the buzz frequency and reject most piano string noise)

Your comment about the buzz reappearing every four notes is hard to appreciate! Do you mean that literally? What happens after only three notes?

ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
sympathic vibration means something is loose and picks up the sound from your piano. For instance if you lift the damper of the e4 string and play an e5 staccato, the e4 will symphatically vibrate and keep vibrating even after you stopped playing the e5 (because it's not damped).

It may be that you press the pedal differently when playing the piece. Eg pressing a bit sideways, pushing harder or softer, etc.

I had buzzes in my pedal too. It disappeared if I rotated the push rod. But of course the rod rotated slowly by itself and once it found its old position back buzzes returned. Just to illustrate how hard finding the problem can be.

Last edited by wouter79; 02/04/18 11:17 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
I played across the whole keyboard, stepped on the right pedal every time when I played another note. So I stepped on the pedal 88 times. It turned out that there was no buzz at all.

Then I returned to Chopin Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 from Bar 57 onward. I just played the left-hand part, stepped on the right pedal once every four notes. The buzzes immediately appeared again.

That sounds like the problem is in the pedal linkage. Try half pedaling, or quarter pedaling, or just putting a slight pressure on the pedal. If any of those stop the buzz, it's the linkage.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

The temperature was similar before, but I didn't notice the humidity.

Ok. Without comparative measurements, it'd be difficult to know if those things contribute to the problem or not.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
If it is a sympathetic vibration, he/she should have been able to isolate it for you do that you can stop it without calling back.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission