2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
vicp Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Is any one familiar on how to adjust the individual key volumes to even them out? I just pulled my Yamaha S80 out of storage to use as a rehearsal/studio/gig instrument. While it is quite playable, a few keys are either softer or louder than the rest. I assume there must be a way to adjust this - either mechanically or electronically. Downloaded the service and user manuals but found nothing yet that addresses this directly.

And/or does anyone know or recommend anyone in the Denver area that does DP maintenance/repair? Thanks for any suggestions.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Assuming no keys are sticking, strip it down, and use isopropyl alcohol 100% to clean all the contacts, those on the board and inside the rubbery caps themselves.

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Aggressively cleaning the inside of the conductive rubber caps might rub off all the conductive coating in there, if it's deteriorating already. There are then some ways to fix that if it happens.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree. Aggressive cleaning might do more harm than good. Usually the problem is either:
(a) Minor dirt or dust under the rubber dome or on the circuit board beneath it. Wipe the board clean and dust-blow the rubber domes.
(b) Worn/defective rubber contacts. I had to replace one a couple of years ago. I actually replaced four of them for good measure, covering the center four octaves of the piano. Yamaha/California sells the parts. That job was around $75.

V
vicp Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Aggressively cleaning the inside of the conductive rubber caps might rub off all the conductive coating in there, if it's deteriorating already. There are then some ways to fix that if it happens.

What are the "some ways to fix" the rubber caps (if that is the problem) other than replacement. The keyboard has not had heavy use, rather a long time in storage. I'm sure the first step is to expose the keyboard/action and probably to clean it (not too aggressively).

Thanks for the suggestions.

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Some sort of conductive paint may work if it sticks to the rubber and rubbing graphite from a pencil might have a temporary effect, but there are also small conductive pads that you can glue on:

This just happened to be a nice video showing them, but they might sold here, there and everywhere, so look around for a suitable size, amount and price:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/keypad-repair-kit?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Couldn't generic conductive pads of different height have an impact on the point of contact or the velocity?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission