2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 108 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 107 108
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65
Where I get the most to worse in Marvel is the library. I want to arrange everything neatly, first exercises, Level 1, Level 2 and so on, then Albert's 1-2-3... then songs from the library, then my own songs. I drag me drowsy until everything is in the right order and is uncluttered, and next time when I open Marvel it's a mess again... again half an hour dragging and dropping, grrrrrrrrrr I hate it. And that's something my OCD can't release because it just needs to be able and all that needs to stay as I want it. Have already complained about Marvel but so far still no improvement.
Am I the only one, and is the library okay for the rest of you?

I hesitate to say this because it really sounds ill laugh but my library is small an tidy since as soon as I get all starred-pianos for minced, chopped, and whole, I delete the song from my library! Haha... (And you may ask, what if you like a song and want to play it again? uhhhhh.... I haven't gotten that far! laugh )

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I got my connector today and my ipad is working fine with the app! I have a question, though. Does everyone have to start at the very beginning and make their way through, or can you choose the level you're already at and go from there? How would I start at level 3 lessons?

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Does everyone have to start at the very beginning and make their way through, or can you choose the level you're already at and go from there? How would I start at level 3 lessons?

Just go to Method, and click on the 3A lesson and choose the first of the 20 lessons in 3A. You can do the same for Technique. (If you only have a trial account, I don't know how you would do it in the trial.)

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Slothrop, Tyrone
Does everyone have to start at the very beginning and make their way through, or can you choose the level you're already at and go from there? How would I start at level 3 lessons?

Just go to Method, and click on the 3A lesson and choose the first of the 20 lessons in 3A. You can do the same for Technique. (If you only have a trial account, I don't know how you would do it in the trial.)

I did precisely that - although I initially started level 4 (in trial mode), decided it was a bit hard straight off, starting working through level 3. Each day I would try some time at level 3 and also went and started at level 1, working though the exercises there. Before long I had essentially backfilled all the lower levels. Nothing much changed when the trial almost ended and I decided to purchase my subscription. I just carried on - all my scores etc were intact.

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I couldn't figure out where to click to choose the different levels! I wonder if the ipad app is different, I'll try it on my laptop and let you know if I was smart enough to figure it out, lol. Sometimes I'm a dummy. 😆

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I did it, I had no idea you could click on the trophies, LOL! They show up a lot smaller on the ipad. 👍😊 Thanks!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I did it, I had no idea you could click on the trophies, LOL! They show up a lot smaller on the ipad. 👍😊 Thanks!

There are a number of things which I'd consider features that I didn't see documented anywhere. For example, tech support told me about the following:

If you want to play only a few bars of music to practice (say you are having trouble with a fingering transition in bars 6 & 7) you can go to the view of the score in a lesson with nothing playing, and then highlight just bars 6 & 7. Then when you click the assess button, it will start the music and assessment from bar 6 and stop at the last note you had highlighted in bar 7. To clear the highlight, just click anywhere on the score. This is the equivalent of your own "custom slicing."

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 04/23/18 09:37 PM.

[Linked Image]

If you want to play only a few bars of music to practice (say you are having trouble with a fingering transition in bars 6 & 7) you can go to the view of the score in a lesson with nothing playing, and then highlight just bars 6 & 7. Then when you click the assess button, it will start the music and assessment from bar 6 and stop at the last note you had highlighted in bar 7. To clear the highlight, just click anywhere on the score. This is the equivalent of your own "custom slicing."

On the iPad this is done through the "play controls" at the bottom right of the screen. You can also control the speed, metronome and level of accompaniment.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Reading about play controls - here is an observation that I had. I am learning a piece with complicated rhythms and getting good scores with Assess on Piano Marvel, but it wasn't translating to being able to play it without Piano Marvel. Then I realised hearing the accompaniment whilst playing was bringing my fingers into sync with it. I turned the accompaniment off and my scores dropped drastically, but a bit of perseverance brought them back up. Now I can play the piece independently of Piano Marvel and it still sounds correct

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

The highlighting is something that I do not succeed, I usually go to play control and give in measure 6 to measure 8. A lot of hassle but selecting the other way is not possible. Can someone explain exactly what to do with the mouse and how and where to click?

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile

The highlighting is something that I do not succeed, I usually go to play control and give in measure 6 to measure 8. A lot of hassle but selecting the other way is not possible. Can someone explain exactly what to do with the mouse and how and where to click?

They have a video somewhere that shows how to do it. If you needed to practice half of measure 6 and all of measure 7 you would left click the note you want to start on (measure 6), then move the pointer to the end of measure 7 while holding the left mouse button down. Then you release the button and you're set. I had some trouble with this technique. It seemed to randomly work or fail. But it was me. While you are holding the mouse button and moving the pointer you are highlighting sections of the score. I found that I had to have the pointer within the highlighted section when I release the button or it wouldn't work.

I should probably try to record the process. That's the best I can do using words and I'm not 100% sure I would understand it if I were the one reading it!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Can someone explain exactly what to do with the mouse and how and where to click?

Find a place on the score where you want to start a selection (just before the first note). On the top stave press AND HOLD the mouse button down and with the mouse button down move the mouse to the bottom stave just after where you want the selection to stop.

I do this on a Macbook with a touch pad, so for me its pressing the touch pad. I can also scroll with the MAC scroll action on the track pad (two fingers together and slide up and down) and hold the trackpad down if I want to select a section several lines long, but that is quite tricky. In this case I use both hands and scroll with the left and do the selection with the right.

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is it possible doing Piano Marvel with an acoustic piano? I looked on their website, but only saw info for midi connections.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by akc42
Can someone explain exactly what to do with the mouse and how and where to click?

Find a place on the score where you want to start a selection (just before the first note). On the top stave press AND HOLD the mouse button down and with the mouse button down move the mouse to the bottom stave just after where you want the selection to stop.

Here's their video instruction. I'm not sure it works on the iPad version yet, though:

Roland F130-R
Noblehouse - Not really, not to have the full experience, but there are other apps that have a "listening" capability that you might want to check out. I don't have any experience with them so I don't know how they compare but maybe try Simply Piano by Joytunes, or Flowkey.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomInCinci
If you needed to practice half of measure 6 and all of measure 7 you would left click the note you want to start on (measure 6), ...

That's interesting. I didn't know clicking on a note at the beginning of a section to highlight would work. I've been doing it more like akc42 mentions, by clicking and holding the left button on the staff before the first note in the selection you want. I've never tried clicking on a first note itself.

[Linked Image]

If you needed to practice half of measure 6 and all of measure 7 you would left click the note you want to start on (measure 6), ...

That's interesting. I didn't know clicking on a note at the beginning of a section to highlight would work. I've been doing it more like akc42 mentions, by clicking and holding the left button on the staff before the first note in the selection you want. I've never tried clicking on a first note itself.

I like the way he said it better. I think all that really matters is that you somehow highlight everything you want to include. (I have no idea if this works on Apple systems.)

Once I finally figured out what I was doing wrong I found this feature tremendously helpful. Now all kidding aside, I will never be good at this. I do it because I think that if you aren't doing anything difficult enough to make you feel stupid, you're just asking for mental deterioration. I have little to no proof, it's just my opinion as a neogeriatric. Anyway, every now and then I'll get to something where I can do the minced exercises but my fingers won't cooperate when you put a couple of them together - there's a minced 5-6 and a minced 7-8 but when I try to do the whole song I get hung up going from measure 6 - 7. When that happens I can create the equivalent of a custom mince with very little effort by using the highlighting trick.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, thank you guys, I got it through. When I right click and drag disappears the piece I selected. When I left click and drag the piece I selected remains the only one standing. I was always right/left clicking and that doesn't work laugh

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Anyway, every now and then I'll get to something where I can do the minced exercises but my fingers won't cooperate when you put a couple of them together - there's a minced 5-6 and a minced 7-8 but when I try to do the whole song I get hung up going from measure 6 - 7. When that happens I can create the equivalent of a custom mince with very little effort by using the highlighting trick.

You know, until I was in Level 3, I didn't even know about this trick. I would exactly get stuck with the same type of transitions you would talk about where I would wire the segments based on practicing minces, but then couldn't make the transition between one segment and another. I would sometimes fail like 20 times in a row! And in some cases, there might be 20 measures before the problematic transition! So I'd spend an hour playing stuff I wired only to get to the point of failure. So I complained to tech support about this and asked for custom minces, which is when they told me that, hey, do it this way. As I said, I think their documentation leaves something to be desired.

[Linked Image]

OH MY GOD I'M SO BORED OF IRISH JIG.

I haven't played the piano in two days because of it. I can't let myself continue until I 100% it. This tune will either be the death of me, or the Piano Marvel app.

Roland F130-R
Page 8 of 108 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission