Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
71 registered members (AssociateX, accordeur, AprilE, bennevis, Angelos58, 18 invisible), 1,333 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2733912
05/03/18 03:59 PM
05/03/18 03:59 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
500 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Sarah65
Are there short songs for level 3 in the library? I already tried a few things but mostly it was still too difficult or too ugly laugh

There is a great song in the Library which is marked as Level 3 -- it's called "Irish Jig" laugh

Actually, one of the Piano Marvel staff recommended three level three pieces to me from the library: Satin Gloves, Spinning, and Riding. I only tried Spinning so far. It was pleasant. Not too difficult. (Irish Jig has spoiled the Level 3 rating system... laugh )

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 05/03/18 03:59 PM.

across the stone, deathless piano performances
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2733923
05/03/18 04:54 PM
05/03/18 04:54 PM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium

Actually, one of the Piano Marvel staff recommended three level three pieces to me from the library: Satin Gloves, Spinning, and Riding. I only tried Spinning so far. It was pleasant. Not too difficult. (Irish Jig has spoiled the Level 3 rating system... laugh )

No thank you, never ever Irish Jigg wink Those 3 they recommended are in method 3D or E, I have done them. Spinning is pleasant but not in fast version.

โ€œThe important thing is to feel your music, really feel it and believe it.โ€ -Ray Charles
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2733933
05/03/18 05:29 PM
05/03/18 05:29 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

No thank you, never ever Irish Jigg wink Those 3 they recommended are in method 3D or E, I have done them. Spinning is pleasant but not in fast version.

I most have just not remembered whichever one of these was in Method 3D since I finished Method 3D already. I am currently stuck though on Technique 3D#17 "Shenandoah" for the 3rd day. I think I see why you gave up on Technique. I think I have made this extra tough on myself, since it is marked as "ear training", so I've been refusing to look at the notes during the scoring and memorize them that way, as I want to play from ear. But the fact that I've played this one about 100 time with my best being 93% probably means I've almost memorized the pattern anyways even though I'm not peeking. haha...

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2733998
05/04/18 03:11 AM
05/04/18 03:11 AM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium

I most have just not remembered whichever one of these was in Method 3D since I finished Method 3D already. I am currently stuck though on Technique 3D#17 "Shenandoah" for the 3rd day. I think I see why you gave up on Technique. I think I have made this extra tough on myself, since it is marked as "ear training", so I've been refusing to look at the notes during the scoring and memorize them that way, as I want to play from ear. But the fact that I've played this one about 100 time with my best being 93% probably means I've almost memorized the pattern anyways even though I'm not peeking. haha...

Some people are born with an absolute musical hearing and others do not. If you belong to the second category you can do ear training until you get mad, but it will never come. That's why I've given up in technique. At first I wrote everything down in technique, then I just had to fill in the blanks, but with the larger pieces it is not feasible and so time consuming. And actually that is a big scale cheating and I don't learn anything about it. My ambition when I started with Marvel was just to learn to read notes and learn the basics of playing piano. Even though it stings that not all my pianos have a golden star, both technique and method, but yes, so be it. laugh

โ€œThe important thing is to feel your music, really feel it and believe it.โ€ -Ray Charles
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2734016
05/04/18 06:02 AM
05/04/18 06:02 AM
Maryland
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
Sarah,

If you look at "popular piano solos" and "more popular piano solos" by Hal Leonard they both have multiple selections in multiple levels. They are not too long. A lot of Disney tunes, but not all. You don't have to do the boot camp part of it.

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1 ๐ŸŽน
Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1 ๐ŸŽถ
PianoVideoLessons.com
๐ŸŽผ Piano Marvel 3D
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2734033
05/04/18 07:29 AM
05/04/18 07:29 AM
Brighton, UK
TrevorM Offline
TrevorM  Offline

Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by TrevorM
OH MY GOD I'M SO BORED OF IRISH JIG.

I haven't played the piano in two days because of it. I can't let myself continue until I 100% it. This tune will either be the death of me, or the Piano Marvel app.

I wonder? Still Jigging?

Hah. No. I got there in the end. It wasn't too hard actually. Once you have the two sections nailed it's just a case of playing them repeatedly without error.

Are there short songs for level 3 in the library? I already tried a few things but mostly it was still too difficult or too ugly

There are some nice grades pieces that have just been added if you search for Composer: Hal Leonard it'll bring up the Popular Piano Solo books. Also, if you search for "Classical Boot Camp" there are some good graded classical pieces to try. Good luck! smile

EDIT: Sorry, GidgetKeys, just saw your response! smile

I've just started playing with a Teacher again so I'll probably be spending less time on Piano Marvel. I've been set quite this nice blues-y piece which is much harder. My own fault for telling him that I wanted to master stride piano. smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiQ7HdEy-Ts

I've also got work to do on some sorely neglected scales, so I'll be jumping up to L4's Technique section to help me out. smile

Last edited by TrevorM; 05/04/18 07:46 AM.

Roland F130-R
Currently working on:
- Sound of Emotions
- Piano Marvel 3C
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2734142
05/04/18 04:17 PM
05/04/18 04:17 PM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Good luck with all that you still want to learn, I take some spring/summer vacation. No time to sit inside on the piano, it is better outside in the sun. See you back in autumn smile
I will still be practicing on rainy days, because I miss my piano quite quickly. But ending level 3 of Marvel will not be for now. To get the last longer pieces 100% I have to play a few days in succession, because if there is a week in between, I forgot everything again. And that I can't do now, way too many other things to do.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2734181
05/04/18 07:30 PM
05/04/18 07:30 PM
Maryland
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
See you in the fall, Sarah! Enjoy your summer!

PianoVideoLessons.com
๐ŸŽผ Piano Marvel 3D
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2734227
05/05/18 02:46 AM
05/05/18 02:46 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
I previously used Piano Marvel to get the basic notes from "Cool" (an ABRSM Grade 5 piece) into my fingers and I know it works wonderfully well to just get my muscle memory set up - it then takes work outside of Piano Marvel to hone the piece.

This week I have started to try and learn Bach's two part Invention No 8. I entered the score via Musescore and exported the .mid and .xml files and uploaded them to Piano Marvel. Now I am having fun trying to build practice exercises from it. Yesterday I built a load of "Minced Exercises" and then some "Chopped" ones - but although I could easily do hands separate, as soon as I tried to put hands together I was struggling. So this morning I am taking a new approach and changing the "Chopped" exercises to start from the end and work backwards - adding extra bars/measures in for each new exercise until I get to the beginning and can play the whole piece.

Because creating and changing exercises is so easy once you have the piece in place, I can easily create the 17 practice exercises it will take to go from the last two bars to playing the whole piece, maybe half and hours work and I will be ready to go. I have chosen very low tempii (32, 48 and 64) so give me a chance of getting my muscle memory started and then worked up to a slow but steady pace. Once I have it in my fingers I hope I can improve it outside of PM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2734635
05/06/18 05:52 PM
05/06/18 05:52 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Good luck with all that you still want to learn, I take some spring/summer vacation. No time to sit inside on the piano, it is better outside in the sun. See you back in autumn smile
I will still be practicing on rainy days, because I miss my piano quite quickly. But ending level 3 of Marvel will not be for now. To get the last longer pieces 100% I have to play a few days in succession, because if there is a week in between, I forgot everything again. And that I can't do now, way too many other things to do.

Have a nice summer. I am just 20 lessons from the halfway point myself - 10 of each of 3E Method & Technique - yet life intrudes here too. I leave for London in two days to attend a graduation, and I've set the goal of finishing off these 20 lessons - and therefore level 3 - before I depart. It's a race against time to see if I make it. smile

BTW, for some reason, I found the C minor version of the Happy Birthday song to be even harder than Morning Mood. blush Seemingly inexplicably, I made 100+ mistakes on the Happy Birthday song - I would make the same mistake 4-5 times in a row, each time swearing the next time I wouldn't make "that particular error". For the life of me, I can't figure out why, unless had something to do with the piece being in a minor key. The Morning Mood jumps seemed less challenging to me in comparison. I've been recording the pieces that posed any difficulty on my SoundCloud, and this morning, my wife LOL'ed at me when she saw the Happy Birthday song there. blush

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 05/06/18 08:01 PM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2734677
05/06/18 07:54 PM
05/06/18 07:54 PM
Maryland
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
Finally! I scored 100% on Irish Jig...but it wasn't perfect. I had 2 red notes. 29 "official" attempts, but I practiced the music more than that. I'm moving on...

PianoVideoLessons.com
๐ŸŽผ Piano Marvel 3D
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2734733
05/07/18 01:47 AM
05/07/18 01:47 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
Originally Posted by akc42

Because creating and changing exercises is so easy once you have the piece in place, I can easily create the 17 practice exercises it will take to go from the last two bars to playing the whole piece, maybe half and hours work and I will be ready to go. I have chosen very low tempii (32, 48 and 64) so give me a chance of getting my muscle memory started and then worked up to a slow but steady pace. Once I have it in my fingers I hope I can improve it outside of PM.

It actually took me less than 20 minutes to set this up, and after a brief trial I decided to go with 32, 40 and 48 as the tempii. The last measure is bar 34 and yesterday I did exercises 33->end, 31->end, 29->end at all tempii to 100%. I can play further back than that looking at the sheet music, so will try some more today. But like others the weather has kept me away from the piano for most of the day

Last edited by akc42; 05/07/18 01:48 AM.
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2734754
05/07/18 06:14 AM
05/07/18 06:14 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

So this morning I am taking a new approach and changing the "Chopped" exercises to start from the end and work backwards - adding extra bars/measures in for each new exercise until I get to the beginning and can play the whole piece.

Wanted to add that when my brain wasn't processing the minor key Happy Birthday song, I had just read this, and so I too tried to work measure-by-measure from the end to the beginning of the song -- all 10 or so measures of it. blush Although there were no pre-chopped exercises that did this, I did this by manually highlighting the measures. Whether it was the mere fact of achieving enough repetitions or the technique of "growing" from the end does really help, my first successful rendition of these (10) measures came during this process.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2734784
05/07/18 09:06 AM
05/07/18 09:06 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
Originally Posted by Slothrop, Tyrone
Whether it was the mere fact of achieving enough repetitions or the technique of "growing" from the end does really help, my first successful rendition of these (10) measures came during this process.

This is the first time I've tried this, and my impression of it is that you clear the new measure(s) you just introduced and are then in familiar territory and so relax, making the playing much more fluid and (I think important to accuracy) finding you have enough time to think ahead of time how the next few notes go, and can then tell your fingers to play those specific notes.

Last edited by akc42; 05/07/18 09:07 AM.
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2734917
05/07/18 07:05 PM
05/07/18 07:05 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Along with a misfeature I found today (another story), I found a very cool undocumented feature. I can't imagine I'm the first one to notice this. I was in Method 3E#14, "Satin Gloves", and played the video, 4:52 of going through the entire piece. Then I tried to learn it in practice mode. While in practice mode, I decided I needed to check the fingering on a part, and decided to watch the video again. So I clicked the video link while in practice mode, expecting to get the same 4:52 video as before. No! Instead, I got a 9:18 video showing every practice mode segment, and depending on which practice mode segment you are in, you get a different piece of the 9:18 video, showing very detailed fingering. Whoa! Now that is cool and obviously took a lot of effort (if it was done for practice mode in other pieces). But now why was this feature never mentioned or documented?

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2734918
05/07/18 07:13 PM
05/07/18 07:13 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

This is the first time I've tried this, and my impression of it is that you clear the new measure(s) you just introduced and are then in familiar territory and so relax, making the playing much more fluid and (I think important to accuracy) finding you have enough time to think ahead of time how the next few notes go, and can then tell your fingers to play those specific notes.

Now that explanation does make sense to me. Is this your theory of why this is working for us, or is it something your teacher or something you read suggested? Because if you invented it, I think you should post this idea in its own thread on this board, since it is a learning innovation and deserves not to be buried in a Piano Marvel thread wink

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 05/07/18 07:13 PM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2734944
05/07/18 10:31 PM
05/07/18 10:31 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Question to anyone who is advanced enough to know this. In the following segment of a piece called "Satin Gloves", is there any reason why the last measure should start with a staccatissimo?
odd staccatissimo in last measure of Satin Gloves (sorry for link, tried to embed as image and it refused to do so)
I tried to play it this way, and it doesn't even sound right since it interrupts the arpeggio quite abruptly. Could it be a notation error?

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 05/07/18 10:33 PM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2734997
05/08/18 06:06 AM
05/08/18 06:06 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK

Now that explanation does make sense to me. Is this your theory of why this is working for us, or is it something your teacher or something you read suggested? Because if you invented it, I think you should post this idea in its own thread on this board, since it is a learning innovation and deserves not to be buried in a Piano Marvel thread wink

I read somewhere (I think it might have been in "Fundamentals of Piano Practice"?) that it was a good idea to learn from the back end forward, because it helps along the lines I mentioned. The specific feeling that I wrote about was what I was experiencing. having tried this for the first time. So I haven't invented the approach.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2734998
05/08/18 06:09 AM
05/08/18 06:09 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
Question to anyone who is advanced enough to know this. In the following segment of a piece called "Satin Gloves", is there any reason why the last measure should start with a staccatissimo?
odd staccatissimo in last measure of Satin Gloves (sorry for link, tried to embed as image and it refused to do so)
I tried to play it this way, and it doesn't even sound right since it interrupts the arpeggio quite abruptly. Could it be a notation error?

I just wonder if its because all the previous two octave runs ends in a staccato and this is sort of saying the same, but then carrying on. Don't really know

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2735001
05/08/18 06:40 AM
05/08/18 06:40 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I just wonder if its because all the previous two octave runs ends in a staccato and this is sort of saying the same, but then carrying on. Don't really know

Now this is an interesting observation that I hadn't noticed. Yes, that would be a possibility. Does such a thing have a musicological name? I mean a "pretend" ending to a song that actually continues on? Maybe as I think you may be implying, it isn't trying to be a "pretend ending", but just to emphasize where the previous arpeggios ended. It's weird anyways. My ears are confused.

I wonder about a lot of things about this piece, Satin Gloves. First of all, it is a composition by the Piano Marvel owner. It has these staccatissimo pikes. Why staccatissimo? It's hardly dynamics for beginners like me. Why not just staccato? There are pieces using staccato before Method 3E. There are 7 arpeggios, and all get these staccatissimo pikes on the last one or two notes, except for two of them. The 2nd and the 6th. I wonder if they could be mistakes? I play it and it doesn't make any sense to my ear why two of these should be different than the others? Is this my OCD talking? Then I watch the video of the Piano Marvel owner playing the song, and he definitely doesn't play any of these particular notes staccatissimo (or at least as I understand staccatissimo from having looked it up). In fact, in the video, on his screen that appears in the video, the notes are not staccatissimo. I wonder if the staccatissimo is simply a notation error, or a programming "bug", but that seems unlike since it's too "fancy" a notation to be anything but deliberate here. Since he is the owner and piece's composer, he could have recorded himself playing this piece and then decided later it would sound better having staccatissimo pikes on some of the notes. We already see from the videos, he prefers the authentic to re-recording videos with small errors, and that could explain why he didn't re-record the video after changing the score.

I opened a personal record of 3 trouble tickets for this piece, most just asking questions about a very oddly composed piece.

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 05/08/18 08:29 AM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2735083
05/08/18 11:06 AM
05/08/18 11:06 AM
Brighton, UK
TrevorM Offline
TrevorM  Offline

Brighton, UK

If you look at the Method Book PDF it's not staccato at all BUT is marked as to be played with the left hand from that point.
http://pianomarvel_assets.s3.amazonaws.com/pdfs/lessons/Method_3.pdf (Page 67)

Roland F130-R
Currently working on:
- Sound of Emotions
- Piano Marvel 3C
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: TrevorM] #2735087
05/08/18 11:32 AM
05/08/18 11:32 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

If you look at the Method Book PDF it's not staccato at all BUT is marked as to be played with the left hand from that point.

Wow, I am looking at this book with new eyes. First, you are right. This is obviously then a notation error on Piano Marvel itself. It erroneously turned "LH" and "RH" into little "pike" marks for staccatissimo. The pike marks on the system exactly line up with all the places in the book which have an "LH" or "RH", which can't be a coincidence. This also explains the missing pike marks in the 2nd and 6th arpeggios -- the book doesn't have an "LH" and "RH" there, and it explains the pike at the beginning of the last measure, there is an "LH" there.
But secondly, I never bothered with the book since I assumed it was just a rehash of what the PianoMarvel system does. I couldn't be more wrong. The book introduced all sorts of things that the system does not. For example, I'm already almost done with level 3, and I've been wondering when they would get to pedaling, since it seems an integral part of piano playing. I'm shocked. Looking at this book, I see sustain pedal was introduced back in 3B for "Into the Woods", in the last two measures. I just went back to 3B "Into the Woods" right now to see how I could have missed it... and it's not there! In fact, in the video, I can clearly see his feet, and he is not pressing the sustain pedal in the last two measures. Furthermore, I see things now in the book that are impossible in Piano Marvel. For example, the book version of "Morning Mood" has ritardando in the last two measures. Well that is simply impossible in Piano Marvel since the starting tempo is the tempo in the middle is the tempo at the end. There is no "ritardando" possible. It's like this book is for a different course. Have you actually tried to use this book with Piano Marvel, TrevorM? I feel like I should be going back to Level 1 with the books and seeing what I missed!

ADDED: Thanks for small favors though -- I just noticed the book sets Satin Gloves at a tempo of 124 bpm when the Piano Marvel system itself uses 100. I'm glad about this. 100 already seems fast. 124 would be ferocious. But the book has this song with dynamics, and all sorts of different marks and abbreviations, which I have no idea about. The Piano Marvel system itself hasn't taught any of these things. Was there anything that said we had to use the system with the book? Because if so, I missed that part.

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 05/08/18 11:46 AM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2735204
05/08/18 09:19 PM
05/08/18 09:19 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I've gone ahead and opened my 4th ticket on Satin Gloves and pointed out what TrevorM found and told them they should remove the pikes from notes since these do seem to be wrong. Unfortunately, my muscle memory now wants to play those particular notes staccatissimo now! grrr. I don't think I will be able to finish level 3 before I leave for London in the morning. Darn these gloves. LOL

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: TrevorM] #2737547
05/17/18 08:52 PM
05/17/18 08:52 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

And now, due to your discovery, they've taken the staccatissimo out of the Piano Marvel lesson. smile

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 05/17/18 08:53 PM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2737824
05/18/18 11:30 PM
05/18/18 11:30 PM
D
Dreamingstill Offline
Dreamingstill  Offline
D

Maybe this has been asked and replied before but didn't find it: I saw on their website you download the software. But do you have to be online to use the software?

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Dreamingstill] #2737865
05/19/18 04:33 AM
05/19/18 04:33 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
Originally Posted by Dreamingstill
Maybe this has been asked and replied before but didn't find it: I saw on their website you download the software. But do you have to be online to use the software?

Yes you do. At least you definitely do at the start of an "Assess", but once its started I am not sure. Again at the end, when its calculating the score.

Bottom line, its unusable unless you are connected to the Internet.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Dreamingstill] #2737866
05/19/18 04:34 AM
05/19/18 04:34 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Dreamingstill

Yes, you do.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2738253
05/20/18 02:16 PM
05/20/18 02:16 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Finally finished Level 3 this morning. The last 90 lessons in Method/Technique were grueling and might have taken the same amount of time of the previous 200-300 lessons. Last big hurdle was "Tommy Thumb" in Technique 3E where I kept missing the Bb for the key of F.... (by 'keep', I mean >50 times). Over two hours of practice before I could consistently play it all the way through without any mistakes. Whew. Even made a SoundCloud file to memorialize a rather simple song. Well, onward to Level 4.

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 05/20/18 02:18 PM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2738268
05/20/18 03:15 PM
05/20/18 03:15 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

So having started 4A, I immediately encounter a piece which has me mystified: Method 4A#1. Find the C's. I assume this is some sort of exercise and we can use any fingering we want? Say index finger? Because there are no instructions and no fingering indicated. And in fact, I am curious why, if this was just an exercise in finding the C's, this belongs in Method and not Technique. What is the difference between Method and Technique?

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2738341
05/21/18 03:38 AM
05/21/18 03:38 AM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Finally finished Level 3 this morning. The last 90 lessons in Method/Technique were grueling and might have taken the same amount of time of the previous 200-300 lessons. Last big hurdle was "Tommy Thumb" in Technique 3E where I kept missing the Bb for the key of F.... (by 'keep', I mean >50 times). Over two hours of practice before I could consistently play it all the way through without any mistakes. Whew. Even made a SoundCloud file to memorialize a rather simple song. Well, onward to Level 4.

Congratulations on finishing Level 3. With me it will take a while because I have no free time, too much work in the garden.

So having started 4A, I immediately encounter a piece which has me mystified: Method 4A#1. Find the C's. I assume this is some sort of exercise and we can use any fingering we want? Say index finger? Because there are no instructions and no fingering indicated. And in fact, I am curious why, if this was just an exercise in finding the C's, this belongs in Method and not Technique. What is the difference between Method and Technique?

There is not much difference in method and technique, one is already duller than the other... I just do what I like, it doesn't have to be all necessary:) Btw, Find all C's is an exercise that they usually teach in the first lesson to beginners, what does that do in level 4?

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Of speakers and watts
by mydp. 11/13/18 05:35 PM
altered chords and chord progressions
by Jitin. 11/13/18 12:26 PM
Ornette Coleman's "Lonely Woman"
by KenBakerMN. 11/13/18 08:54 AM
Crackling noise when recording digital piano
by Tommm777. 11/13/18 01:01 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,318
Posts2,760,828
Members91,484
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission