Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
85 registered members (36251, Bruce In Philly, AB99, 28 invisible), 1,246 guests, and 528 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 31 of 58 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 57 58
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2835537 04/05/19 05:10 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by LarryK
Originally Posted by LarryK
Ok, I got the fingering to work. Selecting a note in MuseScore and hitting a number did not work for me but selecting a note and using the Add/Text/Fingering menu option did work for me and the fingerings transferred into PM.

As an alternative to menu options, on the Mac, there is a left window with all the palettes and fingering is one of the palettes. Don't know if this is on Windows though.

I stare at that little palette window, and can’t figure out which option does the fingering. How is it labeled? I tried searching in help which led me to the menu option.

I think I have demonstrated that Staff Text does not transfer into PM.

[Linked Image]

There is a little pull-down at the bottom of the Palettes window. If yours says "Basic," switch to "Advanced" first as in the screen shown above.

Ah, ha! Thanks. I must be in Basic mode because I don’t see that Fingering palette. I’m new to MuseScore. I prefer StaffPad, which lets me do so much with a stylus that the program almost disappears and becomes a pencil on paper.

Last edited by LarryK; 04/05/19 05:13 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2837645 04/10/19 12:15 PM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Did you See "NEW FEATURE PIANO TUTORIAL" in Musescore? A skinny version of Synthesia smile

Piano Marvel level 4B and everything I like smile
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2837648 04/10/19 12:24 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65
Did you See "NEW FEATURE PIANO TUTORIAL" in Musescore? A skinny version of Synthesia smile

Horror. shocked Sometimes you don't want to look but can't help it!

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2837898 04/11/19 03:15 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Horror. shocked Sometimes you don't want to look but can't help it!

Same here...I wonder how the fingering go's and look quickly, its an ugly interface laugh

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2839400 04/15/19 07:47 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Technique in Pm is still a bitch, even though I no longer aspire to 100%. And I also see little benefit from struggling to get there, in the playing in method. On the contrary, after a whole level technique in the key or F I tend to play Bb anywhere if there is a B in a piece. Crazy!!!

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2839417 04/15/19 08:27 AM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Technique in Pm is still a bitch, even though I no longer aspire to 100%. And I also see little benefit from struggling to get there, in the playing in method. On the contrary, after a whole level technique in the key or F I tend to play Bb anywhere if there is a B in a piece. Crazy!!!

Actually, improvement in technique and the playing of the scale and arpeggio exercises in the technique exercises, will gradually improve the repertoire playing, in fluency and smoothness. Not so sure about the other technique exercises though.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2839420 04/15/19 08:38 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
The Flashcards, are they in Method or Technique? They really help me with learning (relearning) the notes. The ear training is helpful for...ear training. These exercises aren’t enjoyable and sometimes I want to rip my hair out if I can’t get 100% after many times of trying, so I just skip it, walk away, and come back next session and complete it.

I guess whether you decide to struggle through those or not really depends on what results you want to achieve. For the results I want, I make myself do them. I think of them as “no pain, no gain”.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 04/15/19 08:39 AM.
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2839540 04/15/19 12:56 PM
Chrispy Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I need to comb through this thread and pick out all the bits of "here's how to upload a piece and get correct fingerings etc" and turn it in to a tutorial. Does such a thing already exist somewhere? The one video I can find on the PM site is almost useless as it doesn't go in to any of the details about what the midi file needs to be, how to get fingers in, how to chop up the piece, etc. It does look like you all have discussed this in the thread but it's all over the place and I'd love to get it in one place (hoping that unofficial librarian Tyrone will point me to the right places :D)

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords)
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Chrispy] #2839542 04/15/19 01:05 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I need to comb through this thread and pick out all the bits of "here's how to upload a piece and get correct fingerings etc" and turn it in to a tutorial. Does such a thing already exist somewhere? The one video I can find on the PM site is almost useless as it doesn't go in to any of the details about what the midi file needs to be, how to get fingers in, how to chop up the piece, etc. It does look like you all have discussed this in the thread but it's all over the place and I'd love to get it in one place (hoping that unofficial librarian Tyrone will point me to the right places :D)

As it happens, I did write something like this up for another PW forum member. wink Will look for it after work smile

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Chrispy] #2839561 04/15/19 01:49 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
(hoping that unofficial librarian Tyrone will point me to the right places :D)

Here you go! Be sure to use Musescore version 2.3.2 and not the Musescore versions 3.0.x. Last I checked, 3.x was still not supported, but the PM developers told me they were working on it and it might be any time.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2839579 04/15/19 02:45 PM
Chrispy Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
(hoping that unofficial librarian Tyrone will point me to the right places :D)

Here you go! Be sure to use Musescore version 2.3.2 and not the Musescore versions 3.0.x. Last I checked, 3.x was still not supported, but the PM developers told me they were working on it and it might be any time.

Thanks Tyrone! Perfect!

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2839790 04/16/19 07:42 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
The Flashcards, are they in Method or Technique? They really help me with learning (relearning) the notes. The ear training is helpful for...ear training. These exercises aren’t enjoyable and sometimes I want to rip my hair out if I can’t get 100% after many times of trying, so I just skip it, walk away, and come back next session and complete it.

I guess whether you decide to struggle through those or not really depends on what results you want to achieve. For the results I want, I make myself do them. I think of them as “no pain, no gain”.

Flashcards are in both. SASR test is also very good to learn read the notes. If you search the library there are also exercices, Bartok mikrokosmos are good.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2839793 04/16/19 08:00 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W

Flashcards are in both. SASR test is also very good to learn read the notes. If you search the library there are also exercices, Bartok mikrokosmos are good.

Thanks for reminding me. I totally forgot about the SASR tests! I should try them.

Do you ever encounter a piece where you KNOW you got all the notes and rhythm right and even PM says so by indicating all green notes with no red notes, but you still get only 95% or 98%?

Also, there’s a Flashcard one that I simply could not get their counting right. It’s the first note, and the way they count, I can never enter the piece on the correct beat. Me? Or is PM a little screwy sometimes?

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2839813 04/16/19 08:53 AM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Do you ever encounter a piece where you KNOW you got all the notes and rhythm right and even PM says so by indicating all green notes with no red notes, but you still get only 95% or 98%?

Also, there’s a Flashcard one that I simply could not get their counting right. It’s the first note, and the way they count, I can never enter the piece on the correct beat. Me? Or is PM a little screwy sometimes?

I've never experienced this through the end of level 3. I've always found a reason for the small difference. However, that said, I have not tried any of the lessons in the system since June 2018.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2839848 04/16/19 10:33 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Did you notice black notes? I had that problem also, but if you look better, you see some black notes maybe?
The counting is sometimes difficult, I let it play alone in asses a few times, until I get the right beat/tempo/counting in my head. When you play along next time you get it right. If you think its PM, send an error report.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2839916 04/16/19 01:57 PM
Chrispy Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I occasionally have an issue in practice mode where it advances the cursor because I played the note, but it leaves the note black. I assume this happens sometimes in assess mode and is exhibited by a black note I'm sure I played. I'm beginning to become convinced is has to do with the escapement on my piano and the way it triggers the notes as it definitely seems to happen only when I'm playing a note and the escapement hasn't fully reset.

Last edited by Chrispy; 04/16/19 01:57 PM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2839946 04/16/19 03:28 PM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
That's too technical for me smile Maybe Tyrone can answer?

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2839949 04/16/19 03:35 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
That's too technical for me smile Maybe Tyrone can answer?

I can't because it's never happened to me. In general, weird stuff used to happen alot back around April or May of 2018. These days, nothing strange ever happens to me in PM. So indeed it might just be Chrispy's piano or how he is using it.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2841987 04/24/19 03:21 PM
R
Rusco Offline
R
Hi, I'm just jumping on here for advice. I have just started using piano marvel to improve my sight reading. I use it on a mac laptop and I wonder, is there a way to change the display so I can see the full page?

I can only see the first two lines of music and scrolling down leaves very little time to actually look at the notes before starting.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Rusco] #2841994 04/24/19 03:58 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Rusco
Hi, I'm just jumping on here for advice. I have just started using piano marvel to improve my sight reading. I use it on a mac laptop and I wonder, is there a way to change the display so I can see the full page?

I can only see the first two lines of music and scrolling down leaves very little time to actually look at the notes before starting.

Ah, the drawbacks of using online marvels to practice with, which bear no resemblance to real life........

What does a pianist, about to sight-read a real piece, do?

He first scans the piece from beginning to end, noting the "shape" and "texture" of the whole, taking note of key changes, phrase lengths, where the climax(es) is/are etc, and thereby mentally making 'shapes' with his hands to encompass them. Then when he plays, he is subconsciously also noting what is about to come, not necessarily looking directly at the bars below what he's actually playing but aware of the 'shape' of the notes out of the 'sides' of his eyes so that he is mentally prepared for what comes next.

None of which is what you get in sight-reading apps and marvellous marvels.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Page 31 of 58 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 57 58

Moderated by  BB Player 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Hard Hammers
by Duaner - 12/13/19 06:19 PM
Chopin Etudes
by Moo :) - 12/13/19 04:53 PM
OT- A Christmas quodlibet called Yule Flip
by pianoloverus - 12/13/19 03:00 PM
Kawai CS8. Still a good purchase in 2019?
by cebeema - 12/13/19 02:31 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,643
Posts2,901,409
Members95,229
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission