Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (Animisha, Alex C, Andrew_G, AZNpiano, Anticlock, agraffe, alexk3954, atcsam, ando, astrotoy, 16 invisible), 719 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 29 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 28 29
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2799151
01/06/19 04:25 PM
01/06/19 04:25 PM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

BTW, I just reported a bug to PM last night. It seems that when uploading a cut time piece (2/2), the tempo should be based on the BPM of the half-note, but in PM, it still sets the tempo as the BPM of the quarter-note, same as it does for common time (4/4), for example. This is wrong. And makes the piece go twice as slowly as it is supposed to. Did either of you experience this?

You are right, I have already encountered it but had not linked it to Marvel tempo "only quarter notes". You can solve this by doubling tempo right? I always adjust it with upload. As for Facebook, I don't find a group of Marvel users. Because English is not my language I am not going to start a group. Maybe Gidgetkeys? wink

One finds limits by PUSHING them.

Pianbo Marvel level 4B and everything I like smile
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2799153
01/06/19 04:31 PM
01/06/19 04:31 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by Sarah65
Because English is not my language I am not going to start a group.

Your English is fine! I'm not a native English-user either smile I even have dual citizenship in a non-English speaking country where I grew up. smile I didn't learn English myself until I was already in the US. Yet, from what I see of your posts here, I think both you and I get along in English better than some English-language native speakers - here in the US, at least wink

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2799156
01/06/19 04:36 PM
01/06/19 04:36 PM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
RIGHT or WRONG ?

Found this text on piano forum.
Quote "Here is a test: Spend a year exclusively with such a program (Marvel piano), then take out a plain old fashioned paper score and try to sight read it. If you can do it well, then all well and good the program is miraculous. But what is more likely to happen is you won't know what to do as the program had just about done everything for you before with the exception of prompting your finger to press the note. Worse, if you had been using a cursor or pointer passing over notes as you play and a scrolling score you will have taught your eyes to stay still and only focus on the cursor. This is the opposite to what you do when actually sight reading and you will have to retrain your eyes from the start just how to move properly. I also can't express in words the agony after a year with a program and your first "cold turkey" session of what it feels like to have no feedback or score."/quote

There is something of truth in I think, I myself read with sheet music "too short", note per note actually. While you should read ahead and not read what you are playing but the next line. That's why I regularly exchange Marvel with a book or printed sheet, not to grow a wrong way of reading.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2799157
01/06/19 04:41 PM
01/06/19 04:41 PM

RIGHT or WRONG ?

Found this text on piano forum.
Quote "Here is a test: Spend a year exclusively with such a program (Marvel piano), then take out a plain old fashioned paper score and try to sight read it. If you can do it well, then all well and good the program is miraculous. But what is more likely to happen is you won't know what to do as the program had just about done everything for you before with the exception of prompting your finger to press the note. Worse, if you had been using a cursor or pointer passing over notes as you play and a scrolling score you will have taught your eyes to stay still and only focus on the cursor. This is the opposite to what you do when actually sight reading and you will have to retrain your eyes from the start just how to move properly. I also can't express in words the agony after a year with a program and your first "cold turkey" session of what it feels like to have no feedback or score."/quote

There is something of truth in I think, I myself read with sheet music "too short", note per note actually. While you should read ahead and not read what you are playing but the next line. That's why I regularly exchange Marvel with a book or printed sheet, not to grow a wrong way of reading.

I've never experienced this myself. But I can imagine how this might be the case for some people. It might depend on how you use Piano Marvel though.

Good idea though of practicing with a paper score too. I guess I am doing that myself since I am taking lessons. Sounds like the writer used 100% PM and then only used a paper score after a year of PM. That's a pretty extreme case, isn't it?

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2799169
01/06/19 05:19 PM
01/06/19 05:19 PM
M
mbpress01 Offline
mbpress01  Offline
M

I am all in on piano marvel. I actually took many pieces from the Bach Anna Magdelana Notebook and had them notated in Finale and uploaded into Piano Marvel. As a result, I found my playing of these pieces to be a lot more fluid and the program allowed me to really drill the harder parts, especially the repeats. A few caveats though. I have a Skype teacher for over 2 years now who evaluates all my playing so any issues that Piano Marvel could develop are knocked out by my teacher. Second, I use three scores actually. One is Piano Marvel, the second is a Masterworks Palmer edition and finally I use an urtext.

Finally I think the real benefit of Piano Marvel is not their method or technique but actual repertoire that you work hands separate, then hands together at various tempos. The fact that you need perfect rythym has been a huge help for me. I think, on the other hand, a late intermediate pianist would benefit little since these late beginner intermediate issues are probably gone by the time you achieve this level.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2799358
01/07/19 12:47 PM
01/07/19 12:47 PM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Because English is not my language I am not going to start a group.

Your English is fine! I'm not a native English-user either smile I even have dual citizenship in a non-English speaking country where I grew up. smile I didn't learn English myself until I was already in the US. Yet, from what I see of your posts here, I think both you and I get along in English better than some English-language native speakers - here in the US, at least wink

thumb Google translate does the job laugh

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2799359
01/07/19 12:52 PM
01/07/19 12:52 PM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
I'm testing a free trial of Musiah now...and guess what, you have to hold the whole notes long enough or it is wrong. Why not in piano Marvel? Its so much harder to play correct and hold notes frown And Marvel learned us bad habit, I never held a note. In Musiah you have to hold to the last beat.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2799363
01/07/19 01:13 PM
01/07/19 01:13 PM

thumb Google translate does the job laugh

Haha!!! Now that's like cheating! grin

I'm testing a free trial of Musiah now...and guess what, you have to hold the whole notes long enough or it is wrong. Why not in piano Marvel? Its so much harder to play correct and hold notes frown And Marvel learned us bad habit, I never held a note. In Musiah you have to hold to the last beat.

This is actually on purpose apparently. I complained about this issue to PM Tech Support about 11 months ago. Their response:
Thank you for your great suggestion! The original Piano Marvel software did score the duration of the notes that were held. We took that aspect out of the programming, because it is correct technique in piano to not hold the notes, and rely on the sostenuto pedal to sustain the notes and the sound. In much music it is impossible to hold the notes for the indicated duration because the composers knew the pianist would be using the pedal to hold. The composers were more concerned with the sound that was created than the notation perfection. Our focus should also be to creating the right sound as well. Great question. Have a Marvelous Day! smile

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2799368
01/07/19 01:50 PM
01/07/19 01:50 PM

Wuustwezel Belgium

Off-topic, but I wanted to mention to you Sarah65, that on my summer vacation a few months ago, my wife and I visited Liège, and went up and down the 674-step Montagne de Bueren. eek whome wow

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2799379
01/07/19 02:32 PM
01/07/19 02:32 PM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Wuustwezel Belgium

Off-topic, but I wanted to mention to you Sarah65, that on my summer vacation a few months ago, my wife and I visited Liège, and went up and down the 674-step Montagne de Bueren. eek whome wow

Awesome, I never go there, speak no French :p

[Linked Image]
You go Boy laugh

Last edited by Sarah65; 01/07/19 02:33 PM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2799565
01/08/19 12:52 AM
01/08/19 12:52 AM
Italy
A
Angelos58 Offline
Angelos58  Offline
A

Italy

This function was in PianoMarvel, but then it was given up because the opinions of the grater part of users.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2799968
01/09/19 05:49 AM
01/09/19 05:49 AM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Musiah after 2 days already deleted. So boring and annoying. I got crazy from that voice of "the teacher" who commented on everything. You also have no freedom to play what you want, you have to finish the whole list and get at least 80%. Now I realize how good and fun Marvel is. laugh

Playing "BIG C" level 4A now, such a fun song...like it a lot, not easy but just enough challenge.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2799982
01/09/19 07:37 AM
01/09/19 07:37 AM
T
TomInCinci Offline
TomInCinci  Offline
T

Sigh, 4A huh? I think I will be put into the ground before I finish level 3. I'm convinced that struggle is good for the brain but it's taking a toll on me.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2799998
01/09/19 08:48 AM
01/09/19 08:48 AM
Maryland
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
Still have a few exercises left in 3D. I get that the faster tempos are training to be able to move faster around the keys but man! Sometimes it's killer. Working on Rider now, I think it's called. Glad to know that the other program isn't worth wasting time on.

But PM keeps me motivated. I still work from my method book. I wish I could put my method book exercises into PM.

I also really see the value of watching the accompanying videos and referring to the method book which does have additional markings for dynamics etc. that don't show up in the program.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1 🎹
Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1 🎶
🎼 Piano Marvel 4B

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2800059
01/09/19 10:46 AM
01/09/19 10:46 AM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
@ TomInCinci @ GidgetKeys
I want to give you a little courage, level 3 is indeed very difficult and impossible quickly sometimes.
But it gives such satisfaction when you see all those golden pianos in your closet. (Kidding :D)
No the real satisfaction came after level 3 when I noticed that suddenly I could read notes smoothly and lots faster.
And I'm also able to play pieces from a sheet book, which was not possible before.

You can put your exercises from method book in PM. Let me know which and I send them as XML and midi back then you can upload them yourself. Also look in the library, a lot of method is also there.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800060
01/09/19 10:57 AM
01/09/19 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Angelos58
In Piano Marvel BPM is ever in quarter note.

This is actually musically incorrect, based on what I've read about tempo. Which is why I reported it as an error. Cut time has a half note pulse consisting of beats. Therefore the "beats" per minute should be for half notes in this case, not quarter notes. And certainly not quarter notes with no documentation or warnings being given that PM is deviating from the standard musical notation practice in assigning beats per minute (BPM).

PM Tech Support wrote back to me that this is a bug in their software and they will be fixing it (presumably so that with cut time 2/2, the beat is on the half note and not the quarter note).

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2800063
01/09/19 11:03 AM
01/09/19 11:03 AM
T
TomInCinci Offline
TomInCinci  Offline
T

@ TomInCinci @ GidgetKeys
I want to give you a little courage, level 3 is indeed very difficult and impossible quickly sometimes.
But it gives such satisfaction when you see all those golden pianos in your closet. (Kidding :D)
No the real satisfaction came after level 3 when I noticed that suddenly I could read notes smoothly and lots faster.
And I'm also able to play pieces from a sheet book, which was not possible before.

You can put your exercises from method book in PM. Let me know which and I send them as XML and midi back then you can upload them yourself. Also look in the library, a lot of method is also there.

Thank you for your kindness. You're very nice.

Being overwhelmed and feeling like failure is on the horizon is just part of the process for me. I didn't choose an area where I struggled for a career but I do for hobbies sometimes. It does feel like an accomplishment to go from who-are-we-kidding-here to success, even moderate success.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: TomInCinci] #2800091
01/09/19 12:13 PM
01/09/19 12:13 PM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Being overwhelmed and feeling like failure is on the horizon is just part of the process for me. I didn't choose an area where I struggled for a career but I do for hobbies sometimes. It does feel like an accomplishment to go from who-are-we-kidding-here to success, even moderate success.

Remember how you started in Marvel...C C C C| C C C C| C C C C|| And look what you can do now smile

I have also always chosen struggle hobbies, there is no easy way to satisfaction. I used to learn to program in the Evening School (DOS and BASIC 1985) later I did Art Academy sculpting. And in between another course soldering of circuit boards. And now finaly learning to play piano. Success is so sweet and addictive wink

Last edited by Sarah65; 01/09/19 12:16 PM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2800409
01/10/19 08:25 AM
01/10/19 08:25 AM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Anybody have a good tip to practice hands independently? Appart no problem, but both hands together is chaos in my head, panic, completely lost. Especially my left hand starts to strumming with the rhythm but not even near the keys I should play. What should I do?

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2800417
01/10/19 08:58 AM
01/10/19 08:58 AM

Anybody have a good tip to practice hands independently?

Do you mean practicing "hands together" - both hands playing? (just a small clarification, so I don't answer the wrong thing... smile )

Page 18 of 29 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 28 29

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Request for recommendations
by Megiddo. 03/21/19 02:05 AM
Today's Google Doodle Creates Bach Harmonies
by jazzyprof. 03/21/19 01:26 AM
Kawai GL10 confirmation bias
by Emery Wang. 03/21/19 12:21 AM
Any kawai GX, SK owners?
by kokatla. 03/20/19 10:22 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,012
Posts2,808,761
Members92,831
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission