Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
121 registered members (AnthonyPaulO, AAC127, andrea monza, Bean23, agraffe, AWilley, Beardog, 36251, 31 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Where is the beat [Re: Jitin] #2709960
01/30/18 12:43 AM
01/30/18 12:43 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Tapping out rhythms to real music is a practical way to learn rhythm. You can practice it almost anywhere.

I initially used the Rhythm Bootcamp book when I was self-teaching. It’s good for beginners, covers the most common time signatures, and it has all those fun Philip Johnston games to “level up” your skills.

When I found a teacher, he assigned the Modern Reading and Odd-Reading books by Louis Bellson. A step up from the Rhythm Bootcamp book, but very well rounded. I usually take these books with me when I travel. I fire up Spotify or iTunes and I’m good to go.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Where is the beat [Re: Jitin] #2709980
01/30/18 04:06 AM
01/30/18 04:06 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
@keystring
Here's a picture, not great quality, but you get the idea:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by outo; 01/30/18 04:07 AM.
Re: Where is the beat [Re: outo] #2710028
01/30/18 10:12 AM
01/30/18 10:12 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by outo
@keystring
[Linked Image]

Ok ..... now show us a picture like this for 3/4 time.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Where is the beat [Re: Jitin] #2710039
01/30/18 10:48 AM
01/30/18 10:48 AM
western MA, USA
H
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member
hreichgott  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
H

western MA, USA
Hi Jitin, Do you know how to count rhythms?

If you do: the "beat" is anytime you say a number. The "downbeat" is anytime you say 1.
When getting used to playing with the metronome, you can try counting out loud. Anytime you say a number should be at the same time as a metronome click.
Or if that's difficult at first, start by just trying to tap your finger on the wood of the piano at exactly the same time as the metronome clicks.

If you don't know how to count rhythms, many folks here can help with that.

(And yes, one SHOULD always know exactly where the beat is when one is learning a piece. Music has a pulse just like we all have a heartbeat. No, it won't always be metronomically even, depending on the style of the piece, and no we won't always be counting numbers in our heads any more than we go around all day counting our heartbeats, but it's always there.)

Heather W. Reichgott, piano http://heatherwreichgott.blogspot.com

Working on:
Cabaret (whole show)
12+ variations from classical ballets
Verdi: Stabat Mater
Copland: Appalachian Spring
Tangos and other fun music for piano duo

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Re: Where is the beat [Re: keystring] #2710044
01/30/18 11:10 AM
01/30/18 11:10 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Online content
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Online Content
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by keystring
The first part puzzles me every time I ready it: "Able to see on the music where the beat is". Something in there doesn't seem to be understood properly, because in written music, where the beat is, is crystal clear. In 4/4 music there are 4 beats in a measure, 1, 2, 3, 4 and that can be seen visually.

Certainly anyone who knows the note values could sit at a desk and figure it out measure by measure like a math problem. But it'll take a beginner a while to get to the point of doing it as fast as the music is played, while also pressing the right keys.

It matters how the person who wrote the notation chose to use dots and ties. For instance, the same measure could be written:

quarter, eighth, dotted quarter, quarter

quarter, eighth, eighth tied to quarter, quarter

The first takes less space on the paper, the second gives you something to see where all the beats are.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Where is the beat [Re: dmd] #2710116
01/30/18 02:51 PM
01/30/18 02:51 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by dmd
@keystring
[Linked Image]

That was not the purpose of this exercise. Different meters were the next step.

Re: Where is the beat [Re: JohnSprung] #2710144
01/30/18 04:29 PM
01/30/18 04:29 PM
Maine
P
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
PianoStudent88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Maine
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
The first part puzzles me every time I ready it: "Able to see on the music where the beat is". Something in there doesn't seem to be understood properly, because in written music, where the beat is, is crystal clear. In 4/4 music there are 4 beats in a measure, 1, 2, 3, 4 and that can be seen visually.

Certainly anyone who knows the note values could sit at a desk and figure it out measure by measure like a math problem. But it'll take a beginner a while to get to the point of doing it as fast as the music is played, while also pressing the right keys.

The thing I think about learning to read rhythm, though, is that it should not figured out measure by measure like a math problem. Rather, students should be taught to feel the beat, and the subdivisions, and to go automatically from notation to subdivisions.

Later, for much more complicated rhythms, being able to do the math problem might be useful. But it really discourages me (in a certain online course I'm thinking of, for example), where rhythmic notation is initially introduced as math rather than as pulse, rhythm, and relation.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Re: Where is the beat [Re: PianoStudent88] #2710148
01/30/18 04:48 PM
01/30/18 04:48 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

The thing I think about learning to read rhythm, though, is that it should not figured out measure by measure like a math problem. Rather, students should be taught to feel the beat, and the subdivisions, and to go automatically from notation to subdivisions.

Later, for much more complicated rhythms, being able to do the math problem might be useful. But it really discourages me (in a certain online course I'm thinking of, for example), where rhythmic notation is initially introduced as math rather than as pulse, rhythm, and relation.

I am not sure what exactly you mean by figuring out measure by measure like a math problem? Imo understanding has to come first. I do not need to figure out rhythm by doing math when I sight read, but if I never understood the system in the first place how could I get it right without outside help? Because like it or not, notation of rhythm is based on fractions and you need some (simple) math to get it. After that becomes counting and feeling the pulse etc.

Re: Where is the beat [Re: Jitin] #2710156
01/30/18 05:27 PM
01/30/18 05:27 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK

I am not sure what exactly you mean by figuring out measure by measure like a math problem? Imo understanding has to come first. I do not need to figure out rhythm by doing math when I sight read, but if I never understood the system in the first place how could I get it right without outside help? Because like it or not, notation of rhythm is based on fractions and you need some (simple) math to get it. After that becomes counting and feeling the pulse etc.

I guess it's possible to avoid the math, I am thinking back to myself as a child. Lets say a 4/4 passage on middle C. Crotchet, two quavers, crotchet, two quavers. With visualisation, the child will see the little flag on the quaver, it looks different so will realise it means something different, and by sound association and given an example by the teacher and can learn that way. I had recorder lessons when I as 4 - 5, I still have book of the pieces I was playing so I checked, I am pretty sure I didn't know fractions then, but for sure there were quavers and crotches. I had no issue learning them just fine, judging by the grades of the pieces at the time and date stamps to confirm it.

There were no theory lessons at that early age until about 6 or 7 for me, not in terms of math and such anyway, there was sight reading of course, and lots of following by example. It was a case of, when a note looks like this, then play this as follows, if a time signature is this, listen to the sounds etc. I would just copy and follow it by ear is how I recall it mostly , and I understood the concept after that. Perhaps it was a case of that I learned most easily/quickly that way ... at that age.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Where is the beat [Re: Alexander Borro] #2710163
01/30/18 05:42 PM
01/30/18 05:42 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro

I guess it's possible to avoid the math, I am thinking back to myself as a child. Lets say a 4/4 passage on middle C. Crotchet, two quavers, crotchet, two quavers. With visualisation, the child will see the little flag on the quaver, it looks different so will realise it means something different, and by sound association and given an example by the teacher and can learn that way. I had recorder lessons when I as 4 - 5, I still have book of the pieces I was playing so I checked, I am pretty sure I didn't know fractions then, but for sure there were quavers and crotches. I had no issue learning them just fine, judging by the grades of the pieces at the time and date stamps to confirm it.

There were no theory lessons at that early age until about 6 or 7 for me, not in terms of math and such anyway, there was sight reading of course, and lots of following by example. It was a case of, when a note looks like this, then play this as follows, if a time signature is this, listen to the sounds etc. I would just copy and follow it by ear is how I recall it mostly , and I understood the concept after that. Perhaps it was a case of that I learned most easily/quickly that way ... at that age.

Since this is the abf I would assume that any starter will be well equipped to understand and not just copy. Children who start very early may be a different matter. But there is the risk that they become quite good at doing without no understanding and that needs to be patched later.

And I don't even want to start on the difficult to remember names used for note values in some countries...it all makes such perfect sense with whole notes, half notes, quarter notes and so on wink

Re: Where is the beat [Re: outo] #2710168
01/30/18 05:54 PM
01/30/18 05:54 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by dmd
@keystring
[Linked Image]

You didn't keep those ?

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Where is the beat [Re: dmd] #2710174
01/30/18 06:07 PM
01/30/18 06:07 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by dmd
@keystring
[Linked Image]

You didn't keep those ?

Not sure I understand what you mean?

Re: Where is the beat [Re: outo] #2710187
01/30/18 07:09 PM
01/30/18 07:09 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by dmd
@keystring
[Linked Image]

You didn't keep those ?

I assumed the picture you showed was something from your previous experience with the picture method someone used with you.

Then ... I thought you would have the other ones also.

Maybe not. Maybe you just drew the one that you showed us.

If so ... I was presenting you with a challenge to draw one for 3/4 time.

If you do not care to .... that is fine.

Don

Re: Where is the beat [Re: dmd] #2710210
01/30/18 08:20 PM
01/30/18 08:20 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by dmd
@keystring
[Linked Image]

You didn't keep those ?

I assumed the picture you showed was something from your previous experience with the picture method someone used with you.

Then ... I thought you would have the other ones also.

Maybe not. Maybe you just drew the one that you showed us.

If so ... I was presenting you with a challenge to draw one for 3/4 time.

If you do not care to .... that is fine.

It was a method I made up myself. I did not draw those now, I just had them left after I created them to help my friend understand the note values. And there are more pieces to the puzzles...

Yes, of course I could do the same for 3/4 time. Just a little bit of computer work...slightly more difficult though because of having to divide a circle in 3 smile

But it was not necessary because the goal was only to train her to understand how the note values relate to each other and how they must always "fit" into the measure. Since all the pieces were the correct size relative to the time value of the notes you could not fit an incorrect amount of notes/rests to a perfect circle (representing a measure). From these "puzzles" we went to actual notated music with different meters and I made her write into each one how to count the notes. It worked well.

Unfortunately I could not convince her to consistently count while learning her pieces because her teacher let her play with her "own rhythm". But she was still happy to finally get this thing that had bothered her about the notation.

Re: Where is the beat [Re: outo] #2710220
01/30/18 09:05 PM
01/30/18 09:05 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Well, it certainly was a good method to use.

I was a math teacher in another life and I used similar things when discussing fractions, fractional parts, etc .....

A picture is worth a thousand words.

As you mentioned .... it gets a bit more tricky when you get the other time signatures.

Well done.

Don

Re: Where is the beat [Re: outo] #2710297
01/31/18 07:15 AM
01/31/18 07:15 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A metronome that works in a similar way - (skip to 0:45 to get to the main action)

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Where is the beat [Re: Jitin] #2711273
02/03/18 06:40 PM
02/03/18 06:40 PM
America
J
Jitin Offline OP
Jitin  Offline OP
J

America
Here is a cover does this sound ok or terrible in terms of being on beat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3IM6eDLYaRk

Last edited by Jitin; 02/03/18 08:31 PM.

P155
Re: Where is the beat [Re: Jitin] #2711283
02/03/18 07:31 PM
02/03/18 07:31 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
You lost the beat after the first 26 seconds.

I did not listen to much more.

Don

Re: Where is the beat [Re: Jitin] #2711290
02/03/18 08:51 PM
02/03/18 08:51 PM
Orig. land of Svear&Götar
R
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Orig. land of Svear&Götar
Originally Posted by Jitin
Here is a cover does this sound ok or terrible in terms of being on beat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3IM6eDLYaRk

And can you count the 6/8 beat as you play it?
It derailed after about 26 s, as dmd said.

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1. Reviewing basics/ear training/analysis in interesting exercises.
Opus 599. Now at #77 and giving it a break.
Re: Where is the beat [Re: Jitin] #2711298
02/03/18 09:27 PM
02/03/18 09:27 PM
America
J
Jitin Offline OP
Jitin  Offline OP
J

America
This piece is actually 3/4 108bpm, I guess 6/8 would work at 54 bpm.
I think I’m going to learn my next piece with a metronome and figure out where the beats are for each measure

Last edited by Jitin; 02/03/18 09:27 PM.

P155
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What PianoWorld has cost me...
by David B. 03/26/19 07:48 PM
Rock School Breakdown?
by stevechris. 03/26/19 05:07 PM
Which Yamaha model?
by Azzawaba. 03/26/19 04:48 PM
CP88
by quindecima. 03/26/19 04:37 PM
Story & Clark Console - Worth Investing in?
by Bean23. 03/26/19 04:19 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,148
Posts2,811,183
Members92,886
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission