2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
31 members (auflauf, clothearednincompo, foxy.au, Alex Hutor, 36251, Frédéric L, 10 invisible), 439 guests, and 443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bedbug treatment!
#2709348 01/27/18 11:45 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi, I have a client whose house is about to be heat-treated for bedbugs brought in by an unreliable housesitter. It involves the house being "cooked" i.e. brought to a very high temperature for about 8 hours. She's been advised to remove any musical instruments, but having her tall upright taken out of her basement and stored somewhere for a day would cost hundreds of dollars and is not something she could easily afford. There are other ways of treating the house, but they are not as reliable. I told her it couldn't be helped, that it's just a one-time thing and that she shouldn't worry too much, but does anyone have actual experience with this? Was I wrong to tell her not to worry, that the piano will probably recover with a little tuning? Thanks for any advice.

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

1906 Heintzman upright (rebuilt)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Bedbug treatment!
Anne Francis #2709365 01/28/18 01:41 AM
S
S
Yeah, dry heat for 8hr in a normally humid basement, not good at all for piano,,,,I could be wrong, but im thinking 8 to 10 glasses of water 1/2 way filled spread out at lower pedal area, replace the lower board you removed and wrap piano in many moving blankets, no plastic.
I believe high temp will be okay but the lack of humidity from the dry heat will shrink and crack glued joints,,, so,,,, as temperature slowly rises in enclosure, evaporation of water in glasses will increase and will help keep wood hydrated, moving blankets will allow it to slowly breath as well, good luck.

Retired Prototype Engineer,Auto Ind. Longtime professional piano/multi keyboard player and recording. 35 years tuning/restoring, A deep passion for high end grands and woodworking. Currently have 1921 Steinway B and countless multi keyboards/drums/guitars in my studio
synthnut #2709397 01/28/18 07:18 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
It seems that to kill bedbugs the temperature is raised to 122 deg F (50 deg C). From this psychometric chart it would appear that if you take air at say 20 deg C and 40% RH, and raise the temperature to 50 deg C, the RH will drop to about 9%. The professionals here will be able to say whether 9% RH for 8 hours matters or not, but it doesn't sound good to me.

Following synthnut's idea, you could try to thermally insulate the piano. Wrap it in many layers of bubble-wrap (including underneath the piano), and surround that with as many duvets, blankets etc as you can lay your hands on, tied in close with string. Try not to allow any "thin spots" in the insulation, where heat might creep in. You would need a LOT of bubble wrap and a LOT of duvets, but I have hopes that this might work. Though I am not very confident that it would.

Re the idea of the glasses of water - this might help, but I think it might be risky. You could easily underdo it or overdo it. If you had a Dampp Chaser inside the piano, and if it was deemed safe to run this while the piano is wrapped in bubble-wrap, that might be rather effective.

Last edited by David-G; 01/28/18 07:47 AM.
Anne Francis #2709470 01/28/18 12:48 PM
T
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
T
Since it seems that one way or another this piano is going remain in the house it may be an opportunity to see how a piano does in this situation, assuming the owner understands the risks involved. Cover it as best you can, put some water in the bottom of it and report back with the results. The upside of it remaining in the house is that if there are any bedbugs in it they should be dead. The downside of it not staying in the house is the possibility that some may survive in the piano. I don't know if that's possible - just throwing it out there.

I had a similar situation here and I suggested they take the piano out to be safe, but I haven't heard what happened.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, NE
www.thattuningguy.com
Anne Francis #2709480 01/28/18 01:34 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Why take the chance? I would have a mover put the piano out in the garage for a day if there is one. There is a reason the treatment company said "no musical instruments."

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 01/28/18 01:35 PM.

Bösendorfer 170
That Guy #2709571 01/28/18 06:16 PM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I agree with the idea of bedbugs hiding in the piano surviving treatment !
In S.Africa I took a 1890 KarlEcke piano inland to Zimbabe where the RH was considerable less than at the coast, the pins did loosen but it was still tunable but at a lower tension, at the time I had no way of checking the frequency of A but it held steady after about a year !

Anne Francis #2709582 01/28/18 06:46 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for all your advice, I appreciate it. No garage--she lives in a downtown urban environment. But she says the company told her they often treat houses with pianos, that they hardly ever get moved out (except fine grands, obvi), and it's fine. The company will cover the piano with blankets, and I'll go over and put containers of water inside. It's an old upright and not valuable, but has value to her of course, and it does have a very nice tone. Hopefully it'll be ok. I've asked the DC company if they have any specific advice also (besides putting in a system!).

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Anne Francis #2709586 01/28/18 07:15 PM
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I would think the piano should be ok... If only 8 hours at around 120.
The tuning will suffer- it will go flat with the dry heat.

Don't know HOW hot you are actually talking here...But, you might think twice about how much humidity you wish to introduce at very high temps so suddenly...
You might be better off letting it dry with the heat, rather than tinker with a lot of water containers inside.

I believe that it would take a much longer period of exposure to extreme dry heat for the pinblock and soundboard to be in danger.

Dry is more preferable than throwing a huge amount of humid into it all at once- as, with humidity the piano will go sharp (who knows how far), the action could get overly humid and your centerpins begin sticking, the keys and felts will all swell. And, if it is old, as you say- all that dust and dirt in the action flanges and friction points could turn to grime with high humidity poured in.

So again, I would think that a DRY extreme heat is preferable if you have to choose- if it is only a for that one day that is.

That's my opinion anyway.

Parks and Sons Piano Service
www.parksandsonspiano.com
Anne Francis #2709590 01/28/18 07:42 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Interesting, Rick. You may be right. Anyone?

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Anne Francis #2709601 01/28/18 08:10 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yea, I don't like the water introduced into the piano either. Just leave it as-is in the high temperature. It should be fine.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
Anne Francis #2709626 01/28/18 09:58 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
I would put pans of water inside on the bottom board. The more surface area you have for the water the better. With temps/RH like it is going to be at, just remove the pans as soon as the temp returns to "room" temp.

We are in the dry time of year inside houses so adding moisture in this situation runs no risk of swelling the action.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Anne Francis #2709635 01/28/18 10:42 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
It would be interesting if you can place a high/low temperature/hygrometer gauge inside the piano before adding the water and wrapping it up. This way, when the treatment is over, you'll know just how warm and dry it was inside the piano.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
Anne Francis #2710266 01/31/18 01:23 AM
S
S
Thoughts to consider, Pianos/wood will absorb moisture/humidity quickly and release it slowly, so, a good wrap is a good idea to slow the traumatizing dry heat from reaching the hydrated piano too fast. uncover immediately after!
The evaporation rate of 20 buckets of water under a grand piano in a "dry" room @ {15% RH} will not raise the RH to a safe level {30-35%} regardless of how long!, so, the rate of 10 glasses of water in piano?, i doubt the levels would even change after 8 hours, so, perhaps a large wet towel on the floor in front of pedals, but inside your wrap sounds a bit safer & might actually provide a little more evaporation. {just slightly open bottom board}

In the summertime my dehumidifier will pull a gallon+ of water just to drop the RH level by 15% in my living room. I highly doubt you could "over do it", with just evaporation from a large towel for a few hours!,,,,,, just don't let it touch any wood surfaces.
Personally, i'd also be worried about window/door trim,molding joints, drywall joints, wood flooring, ect... all shrinking, maybe they would allow a pot of steaming water on the stove!

Retired Prototype Engineer,Auto Ind. Longtime professional piano/multi keyboard player and recording. 35 years tuning/restoring, A deep passion for high end grands and woodworking. Currently have 1921 Steinway B and countless multi keyboards/drums/guitars in my studio
Anne Francis #2710338 01/31/18 09:23 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
I lived for a year in a country with low humidity and high temperatures. The humidity was 12% or 13% all year round, and the hottest temperature I recorded was 50.9C (122 Fahrenheit). A fascinating experience, but a country with no pianos.

Anne Francis #2710369 01/31/18 11:11 AM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I presume most pianos in places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc. are in air-conditioned buildings. Places like that can achieve dry 120F heat in the summer.
Air conditioners also do not add moisture to the air; if anything they de-humidify air as they cool the air.
Do people have to install humidifiers or Dampp-Chaser systems to have pianos in desert locations like these? Or can pianos survive a hot, dry climate like that?

Colin Dunn
2018 Sight-Reading Challenge Longest Winning Streak: 21 days
Organizer, Denver Area Piano Group (https://www.meetup.com/Denver-Area-Piano-Group/)

Starr Artist Grand
Kimball 6750
Schafer & Sons SS-69
Samick SG-225
Anne Francis #2714840 02/16/18 01:35 PM
D
D
I would wrap the piano in blankets to thermally protect the piano as much as possible. A dammpchaser system inside would only help if it were a full system that de-humidifies and humidifies. Most applications, especially for pianos in a basement would only be a partial system, the part that heats only and de-humidifies. A full system in both grand and upright applications have a pan of water underneath or inside at all times. I do not think there is a system in this piano, and I do not think it would hurt to have a small loaf pan with water inside this piano would hurt during this heating. I would remove it afterwards. The basement may not generally have a humidity problem otherwise. I would wait at least 3 weeks after the procedure to tune. That should allow piano time to go back to normal humidity level that it was use to. This is only my opinion. Very interesting situation and thought you brought to the table. I have dealt with major temperature swings, but my experience have always been unintentional cold temperatures from heating systems going out in the winter. Humidity is pianos major tuning enemy, but I always thought the major temperature swings affected the plate and metal structure. (Expanding and shrinking) And again my experience was that the piano wasn't in the extreme cold for long and I never gave it a thought of a humidity issue. Temperature VS. Humidity So, you have more that just humidity to think about. Overall, I'm sure we are over-thinking, pianos are tougher than we give them credit sometimes. This piano has survived many years, most uprights see 100 years, It will be fine with the actions you mentioned doing. Good luck and please give update afterwards!

David Glenn
Piano tuner/ pianist
1970 Baldwin R Grand
1952 Baldwin M Baby Grand
1922 fully restored Estey 6' Grand
1910 restored Estey Upright
Yamaha PSR-750
Anne Francis #2714920 02/16/18 05:56 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
When I think about how much time pianos spend in cargo containers, cargo bays, railroad cars, trucks, etc, I tend to think this one will be ok. Or, maybe a better perspective is that its condition coming out of this will be determined by its condition going in.

If it's old and lives in a basement, then it's probably already spent most of its life without much in the way of climate control.

The OP's best bet is to probably say "I don't know," and have the client go with the exterminator's recommendation.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keep playing no matter what
by Tom97 - 11/29/20 06:14 AM
K. Kawai piano. Best tuning,
by Maximillyan - 11/29/20 03:22 AM
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,122
Posts3,028,379
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission