Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
83 registered members (Carey, 4evercurious, ChatNoir, anotherscott, bennevis, 8ude, Beemer, bobrunyan, 20 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? #2709503
01/28/18 04:18 PM
01/28/18 04:18 PM
J
Jack Knuckle Offline OP
Jack Knuckle  Offline OP
J
I am a keen amateur pianist (and organist) to Grade 8 standard in the UK and am making preparations to buy a new "forever" grand piano. This will replace the upright that I learned on as a child and that my parents and grandparents before me learned on which is now well over a century old and for a long time has far more sentimental value than musical value. I haven't ordered anything yet as I still want to audition a few options but the one to beat from my shortlist so far is the Feurich 178. It fits my budget and the sound and touch are absolutely what I like to find in a piano. 180cm/6 foot seems to be my "sweet spot", anything less and I find the bass too weedy, any longer and it won't fit the room.

My music room was originally the dining room of a Victorian house which has had a wall knocked out straight through into the front living room which is a similar size, so the total room is now about 9m long by 3.5 m wide by 2.7m high with one half measuring 4.5m reserved for music making. It currently houses an upright piano and an organ. Floors are solid laminate. Picture below is taken with my back to the front half of the room, where originally the music room ended, and I am looking into the space where the new piano is to go:
[Linked Image]

I'm hoping kind folks here can advise me on piano layout as there are a few traps to consider. The corner cabinet can be moved but the organ can't go anywhere else. There is also a radiator which is normally on most of the time in winter otherwise the room can get quite cold and there are French windows (doors with glass) in one corner.

(1) With the piano diagonally facing the window it fits but the player's back will be against the radiator which would be uncomfortably hot in winter;
[Linked Image]

(2) With the piano right hand side against the far wall the bench could be stowed under the keyboard to allow better access to the French windows but the long edge would face into the room;
[Linked Image]

If I place the piano with the long left side along either wall, it would either
(3) partly overlap the windows, which risks sunlight bleaching the case over time
[Linked Image]

(4) or partly cover the radiator and risk being damaged by heat
[Linked Image]

(5) Or I could place the piano at 45 degrees facing the opposite way to option 1 but the lid would still point towards a wall.
[Linked Image]

Option 1 probably looks and sounds best, 2 is the best use of space, and option 5 may be the best compromise. What would you do if it was your music room?

Jack Spanner

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709505
01/28/18 04:33 PM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Georgia, USA
Move the radiator where the upright piano is now, and place the new piano where the radiator is. I have no idea how expensive that might be or even if it is possible.

Sam

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709506
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Portland, OR, USA
I am no expert by any means... but a few thoughts: I like Option 3 if you can manage direct sunlight somehow. It leaves more room to walk between piano and organ and also it will let the sound go into the next room via arch when the lid is open - hopefully will be better acoustically?

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Sam S] #2709510
01/28/18 04:51 PM
01/28/18 04:51 PM
T
tend to rush Offline
tend to rush  Offline
T
Originally Posted by Sam S
Move the radiator where the upright piano is now, and place the new piano where the radiator is. I have no idea how expensive that might be or even if it is possible.

Sam

You know, if this is a first floor, it might be doable. I'd look around the basement and, if it seems it might be practicable, ask for a quote. Seems like the ideal solution. Certainly wouldn't want the lid opening to a wall right next to it and the consensus is that proximity to the radiator is a bad idea.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709511
01/28/18 04:57 PM
01/28/18 04:57 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
London
Jack, welcome to the Forum. Can I ask what aspect the window faces (N/E/S/W) ?That could be relevant to the sunlight question.

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709512
01/28/18 05:00 PM
01/28/18 05:00 PM
Melville Saskatchewan
F
FrankCox Offline
500 Post Club Member
FrankCox  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Melville Saskatchewan
Is that a steam rad or hot water? I don't see any outlet pipe attached to it so I'm guessing steam?

You might want to consider taking it out and replacing it with an overhead radiator and possibly a ceiling fan to circulate the air. You don't want an overhead rad with a built-in fan, though -- those things are noisy and generally a terrible thing unless your main concern is fast recovery and nothing else matters. But ceiling fans can be very quiet if you get one with enough blade width to move air without needing much rotation speed.

I don't know much about steam radiators, though. With hot water you can pretty much plunk a radiator down anywhere you want, but steam works with gravity and there are more restrictions on how one can be connected and still work properly.

You can always build a bulkhead around any exposed pipes to make them look pretty afterward; just hunt down or make some moulding that matches the rest of the room.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: FrankCox] #2709514
01/28/18 05:05 PM
01/28/18 05:05 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
London
I suspect the rad is hot water, which is pretty standard for central heating in the UK. Can I ask what you mean by an "overhead radiator"?

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709520
01/28/18 05:18 PM
01/28/18 05:18 PM
Scotland
Beemer Online content
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Online Content
Bronze Subscriber
Scotland
Jack,

1,2,and definately three does not leave the 3ft space required to extract the action for piano regulation.

ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709521
01/28/18 05:20 PM
01/28/18 05:20 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
I think that (2) and (5) are probably the worst options for positioning the piano in this room. Given the size of the room, you may not often want to open the lid, but with (2) you could not even get to the side of the piano to raise the lid and in both (2) and (5) you would have the sound projecting immediately against the wall. If the lid were to be opened, even on half-stick, the sound should be projected into the room.

(1) is problematic not only for the reason that you state but also having the tail of the piano in the widow. This could not only eventually damage the finish (unless drapes were always drawn during sunshine, but could adversely affect the piano in other ways, with one portion of it subject to sun and heat while the rest remains in shadow.

(4) is also bad for the piano with the radiator being adjacent to the bass end of the keyboard and what effect direct heat from the radiator might have on that portion of the piano (tuning, and perhaps action as well(?).

None of these placements seems to be ideal or even satisfactory. I would not know what to do except, contrary to your wishes, to invest in a higher-grade upright in place of a grand.

Let's hope that others have some practical suggestions that will prove more helpful than mine.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Beemer] #2709522
01/28/18 05:21 PM
01/28/18 05:21 PM
T
tend to rush Offline
tend to rush  Offline
T
Originally Posted by Beemer
Jack,

1,2,and definately three does not leave the 3ft space required to extract the action for piano regulation.

ian

Well, yeah, but assuming it has casters...

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: tend to rush] #2709524
01/28/18 05:25 PM
01/28/18 05:25 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by tend to rush
Originally Posted by Beemer
Jack,

ian

Well, yeah, but assuming it has casters...

Moving a piano of that weight on casters on a laminate floor? I would think not. The casters will definitely need caster cups to protect the floor and unless one can get felt-bottomed caster cups, the piano won't be easily moved when sitting on caster cups.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709529
01/28/18 05:43 PM
01/28/18 05:43 PM
Melville Saskatchewan
F
FrankCox Offline
500 Post Club Member
FrankCox  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Melville Saskatchewan
An overhead radiator is just a radiator mounted high on the wall near the ceiling. Any old radiator will work for that, but they actually make radiators that look like a crown moulding specifically for that purpose if you want to be fancy.

Overhead radiators aren't particularly common (other than the shop-style fast recovery rads that you see in workshops and garages) but they do exist and if you're prepared to deal with the air circulation issue by installing a fan the result isn't that much different than installing a rad near the floor.

Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709546
01/28/18 06:08 PM
01/28/18 06:08 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
London
I would say (2) is out because you cannot get into the corner. (4) is out because the piano is too near the radiator (unless you move the radiator, perhaps to the wall between the garden door and the organ?). (5) is out because the lid angles the sound the wrong way, as Bruce points out. So that leaves (1) and (3), which are effectively variants of each other. Both of these options have two significant problems - the effect of the sun, and Beemer's point about leaving room to withdraw the action.

The sun issue might be solvable by installing an anti-UV film on the windows. I don't have personal experience of this, but you can easily find possibilities with a quick internet search. Alternatively, just draw the curtains when the sun is shining on the piano. If this makes the room too dark, you could replace the curtains, or install an inner curtain, with a material which diffuses the sunlight without blocking it altogether.

Re withdrawing the action, I wonder if Beemer's three feet is a little pessimistic? My own piano is in the corner (similar to position (3)), and there is an obstacle only 26" from the front of the piano. But there is no problem in withdrawing the action. Perhaps you should contact Feurich, explain your predicament, and ask what is the absolute minimum distance between the front of the piano and a wall which would allow the action to be withdrawn.

Do you use the door to the garden frequently? If so, perhaps (1) would make access to the door a bit awkward. I think (1) might look best, but (3) might be more practical. If you plump for (1) but are worried about your back getting hot from the radiator in winter, you could always keep a towel or a shawl handy to drape over the radiator while you are playing.

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709556
01/28/18 06:24 PM
01/28/18 06:24 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Online content
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Jack - Quite frankly, none of the options you presented are ideal - but option 3 seems the closest to being viable (as long as you either keep the drapes closed, or keep a cover on the piano itself when its not in use to avoid sun damage to the case). Would it be possible to repurpose any of the other spaces in your home to accommodate the six foot grand? Perhaps a section of the current music room can be dedicated to another use when you aren't playing the organ. If this is the only room in your house that can accommodate the piano, perhaps the best solution would be to purchase a new 52" upright to replace the current family heirloom. It would certainly be a major step up for you.

Last edited by Carey; 01/28/18 06:48 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709561
01/28/18 06:46 PM
01/28/18 06:46 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content
New York City
Can you turn off the radiator and get and portable electric heater? I live in NYC and never have heat on (or a portable heater) in the room where I have the piano, but I think the building I live in has very thick double windows.

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709627
01/28/18 11:01 PM
01/28/18 11:01 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Online content
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Jack - I would be very interested in any info you could share about the organ in your music studio. smile

Last edited by Carey; 01/28/18 11:03 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Carey] #2709654
01/29/18 12:46 AM
01/29/18 12:46 AM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SE USA
Originally Posted by Carey
Jack - I would be very interested in any info you could share about the organ in your music studio. smile

Yes, do you have pipes tucked away all over the house (given the number of stops just on the left)? Or do you have a combination of display or speaking pipes and electronics?

I agree with Carey that a fine upright might be more satisfactory in such a room.

WhoDwaldi
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709740
01/29/18 10:28 AM
01/29/18 10:28 AM
J
Jack Knuckle Offline OP
Jack Knuckle  Offline OP
J
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Might try a few uprights to see how they measure up to the Feurich but my wife's suggestion of a new grand as a fiftieth birthday present struck me as not being something one could reasonably turn down. The window does have curtains and faces towards the south west so doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight except at the end of the day but it would be a nuisance to have to keep the curtains permanently drawn. The radiator is in a hot water circulation system and position is pretty much fixed as I don't want to have to take up all the floorboards and fit a new floor to move it a few feet. Positions 1 and 3 seem the best compromise - if in practice the curtains conceal the bass end the long end along the back wall and the piano doesn't have to come too far forward for me to be in a comfortable position with the stool against the wall then option 3 might be best, otherwise I guess it will be option 1 in summer and option 3 in winter!

Regards, Jack

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709753
01/29/18 10:58 AM
01/29/18 10:58 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content
New York City
There may be some coating that you can put on the glass that lets you see out but blocks most of the sunlight. Otherwise, a nice cover would protect the finish.

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709761
01/29/18 11:23 AM
01/29/18 11:23 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J
Reseda, California

The organ is the elephant in this room. Could it go in the corner where the little diagonal cabinet is, without interfering with the window? If not, perhaps against the other wall, with the radiator moved? The piano then goes where the organ was, bass side against the wall.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709775
01/29/18 12:00 PM
01/29/18 12:00 PM
G
GC13 Offline
GC13  Offline
G
I definitely think Option 1 is your best bet for many reasons giving the architectural features of the room and the placement of the organ for both acoustical and aesthetic reasons.

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709782
01/29/18 12:21 PM
01/29/18 12:21 PM
Richmond, Virginia
A
Almaviva Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Almaviva  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
A
Richmond, Virginia
For the time being I would opt for Option 1. If that radiator gives off too much heat in the winter, consider moving it in the future if it is not too expensive.

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709805
01/29/18 01:27 PM
01/29/18 01:27 PM
Rural UK
F
Fareham Offline
Fareham  Offline
F
Rural UK
Personally I'd go go for option 1, but there's nothing to stop you moving it around to find out which one suits your lifestyle. I guess it's all down to whether the floor is going to mark from the castors, and that's probably down to how it was laid with laminate.

Currently, I have solid oak flooring which won't compress when you wheel a piano over it, and hence doesn't mark. My experience with Victorian and Georgean floorboards is that they nearly always mark / deform through compression, so I've always had 200mm x 200mm x 18mm plywood castor blocks to spread the weight, particularly when on a carpet. You can paint them the same colour as the carpet, or even better, glue a carpet offcut to the top.

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709811
01/29/18 01:36 PM
01/29/18 01:36 PM
Arvada, CO
C
Colin Dunn Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Dunn  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Arvada, CO
I would go with Option 1 or 3, as that should provide sufficient clearance from the radiator while allowing the piano to project its sound out into the room.

A window covering on the window, such as drapes or a cellular shade, can prevent sun-bleaching of the piano if the window gets direct sunlight.

Colin Dunn
2018 Sight-Reading Challenge Longest Winning Streak: 21 days
Organizer, Denver Area Piano Group (https://www.meetup.com/Denver-Area-Piano-Group/)

Starr Artist Grand
Kimball 6750
Schafer & Sons SS-69
Samick SG-225
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709973
01/30/18 02:30 AM
01/30/18 02:30 AM
P
Piano Valentine Offline
Piano Valentine  Offline
P
Hi Jack,

Though I don't have any suggestion, I wish to say thank you so much for the photo. Your music room is soooo beautiful ! Thanks for sharing.

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2709991
01/30/18 05:28 AM
01/30/18 05:28 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B
I would get a quote for moving the radiator, it's often not that expensive, especially when considered in the context of your overall piano budget

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2748537
07/01/18 12:45 PM
07/01/18 12:45 PM
J
Jack Knuckle Offline OP
Jack Knuckle  Offline OP
J
Thanks to all the contributors to the thread above. I visited several piano stores in my hunt for the perfect piano within my budget. In the end and after playing many different pianos I narrowed down my options to a new Feurich 178 or a restored "big four". The difficulty I encountered with the latter was that there was an abundance of lovely looking Bechsteins, Bosendorfers, Bluthners and Steinways at every price point that were described as "fantastic condition" or "recently restored" but when I actually got to see them most were just tired, poorly regulated or tatty looking and of the few that were completely rebuilt they tended to be way outside my budget or simply not as appealing to play or listen to as I had hoped.

Eventually I came across a Bechstein Model V in a privately listed sale that looked stunning from the photographs. Inquiries established that it had been totally rebuilt by SAP in Poland with case restoration, new Abel hammers, mostly new action and a restring whilst retaining the ivory keys and soundboard just last year. It also had a comprehensive regulation and voicing to a smaller room than mine, so it is easy to play without being too light, and by default is quite soft and restrained whilst having the capacity to unleash great power. Burr walnut inside the keyboard lid and rim only added to the visual appeal. I arranged to see it and was in love within a few moments of starting to play - it had the perfect combination of a stunning visual appearance, beautiful tone and a buttery smooth clean action. It is now sitting in my living room next to the organ, and whilst I was sad to see the upright go as it had been in my family for over a century, realistically there was no space for two pianos and there really was no contest between a straight strung overdamped upright that couldn't stay in tune versus what is effectively a brand new Bechstein.

As it was almost a foot longer than what I had measured for, it did end up being in direct sunlight through the French windows. However, I kept the curtains closed until I was able to rectify the sunlight problem, and used an externally-fitted reflective window film that cuts out heat and light transmission by around 80% - enough for the piano lid to remain cool to touch even in direct summer sunlight yet with limited effect on visual light so the garden is still clearly visible (except at night, which is when the photos below were taken). It is far enough away from the radiator not to be a problem though we won't have that on full any more in winter and it can be moved on the laminate floor if access to the action was ever needed for regulation though I don't anticipate that being necessary any time soon.

So the moral of the story is that perseverance will reward you if you are not in a hurry - I saw and played a few pianos prior to this that I would have been very happy buying though had they all been on sale together I would without hesitation have bought the Bechstein. I have consistently been impressed more by Bechsteins than any other high end piano and am delighted to finally own one. To anyone considering it I'd say it was definitely worth selling both my kidneys to pay for it ;-)

Incidentally a few people asked above about the organ - I built it myself and it is entirely digital in sound production, utilising the Hauptwerk virtual organ software program. The facade pipes are real (as in, rescued from a redundant pipe organ - but they merely conceal speakers behind them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2748541
07/01/18 01:18 PM
07/01/18 01:18 PM
T
tend to rush Offline
tend to rush  Offline
T
Seething - just seething with envy.

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2748546
07/01/18 01:31 PM
07/01/18 01:31 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
500 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
In the Ozarks of Missouri
What a "sweet" piano and setup you have-congratulations!

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2748547
07/01/18 01:37 PM
07/01/18 01:37 PM
Rural UK
F
Fareham Offline
Fareham  Offline
F
Rural UK
I'm glad you happenstanced on the old fishtail Bechsteins. IMHO they are one of the best mid-sized pianos of pre-WWI, and I had around 20-30 of them through my hands over a 15 year period, many moons ago. I think this would have been one of the last fishtails before the 'modern' models A --> E, if the fall board is original - I'm sure you will have looked up the date from its serial number. I know of a dozen of them in private hands of that age, and they just keep going and going and going ... and sound very nice, even if the action on many need attention.

I had a rebuilt model IV - all 7' 4" of it (everything except soundboard replaced) for nearly 20 years, before moving to a 1985 S&S 'D'. The only things I did 'wrong' were to have its case stripped and black polyestered, and red felt used throughout instead of that blue / green (which I've never much liked). By the look of the photos, that's one of the best finished I've seen in years, and I'm sure it plays as well as it looks.

Good stuff.

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2748579
07/01/18 04:03 PM
07/01/18 04:03 PM
Chicago
J
John305 Offline
John305  Offline
J
Chicago
Gorgeous!

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2748583
07/01/18 04:21 PM
07/01/18 04:21 PM
Melville Saskatchewan
F
FrankCox Offline
500 Post Club Member
FrankCox  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Melville Saskatchewan
What is that wooden doodad on the wall just behind the piano lid?

I initially thought it was one of those things churches use to display the hymn numbers, but the more I look at it the less it looks like that.

Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Fareham] #2748587
07/01/18 04:35 PM
07/01/18 04:35 PM
J
Jack Knuckle Offline OP
Jack Knuckle  Offline OP
J
Originally Posted by tend to rush
Seething - just seething with envy.

Haha - but don't assume that because I have a house large enough to accommodate a 6 foot 7 inch grand piano and a four manual organ I must be loaded. I live in the dodgiest part of my town and drive a twenty year old car but am very particular to ensure I get my priorities right!

Originally Posted by Fareham
I'm glad you happenstanced on the old fishtail Bechsteins. IMHO they are one of the best mid-sized pianos of pre-WWI, and I had around 20-30 of them through my hands over a 15 year period, many moons ago. I think this would have been one of the last fishtails before the 'modern' models A --> E, if the fall board is original - I'm sure you will have looked up the date from its serial number. I know of a dozen of them in private hands of that age, and they just keep going and going and going ... and sound very nice, even if the action on many need attention.

I had a rebuilt model IV - all 7' 4" of it (everything except soundboard replaced) for nearly 20 years, before moving to a 1985 S&S 'D'. The only things I did 'wrong' were to have its case stripped and black polyestered, and red felt used throughout instead of that blue / green (which I've never much liked). By the look of the photos, that's one of the best finished I've seen in years, and I'm sure it plays as well as it looks.

Good stuff.

Interesting comments thanks. Roberts pianos in Oxford rate the Bechstein V as being among the very best pianos ever made, and not only because when restored they come out so well. I looked at but passed on a couple of theirs before selecting this but what they had restored was also of very fine quality. I take your point about the felt - mine is all green which goes well with other things in the room and I vastly prefer it to the ghastly pale blue felt of later Bechsteins (could anyone confirm if green was the "correct" colour in Bechsteins of this era as most of the ones that I have seen prior to 1905 are green?) At what point did the fallboard decal change from "C. Bechstein - Hof-Lieferant Sr. Maj des Kaisers u.Konigs Berlin" to "C. Bechstein"? I've seen several Vs from around 1094, just before the change to model B, with the shortened "C. Bechstein" label, and a few from the 1890s with the longer label. My piano's serial number dates it to 1900, the year that Mr C. Bechstein died. My fallboard letters are definitely inlaid brass rather than decal though I suppose the fallboard might have come from a later model if they are interchangable. I prefer the simplicity of the shortened title in any case.

I expect there are a few non-period features on mine. At the top of the side legs of earlier Vs is a sort of scroll design whereas mine has a much simpler molding. I think the lyre legs are original though I've seen Vs with turned legs and Vs with square profile but curved legs like a real musical lyre. Of course the black polyester finish is modern, but I really like it. I can't imagine that the best French polisher would be able to create such a perfect mirror finish, which is what I presume it would originally have come with if it was finished in black. Friends who have seen it but aren't sufficiently knowledgeable about pianos to recognise the significance of the fishtail end all think it is brand new and are stunned when I tell them it is nearly 120 years old. The hammers and shanks are Abel, the tied action has been replaced with capstans and the strings Paulello - I doubt they would have been available in 1900! The bench is new but designed to complement the octagonal legs of the piano. So how much of the piano (apart from the case, keys and soundboard) is truly 1900 Bechstein and how much is 2017 SAP? I don't know - but also I don't really care. SAP have done the most fabulous restoration/rebuild and if this is typical of their work then unreservedly I can give them the highest praise.

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2748603
07/01/18 06:16 PM
07/01/18 06:16 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Online content
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
It appears that "Option One"( which you ended using) was the most popular option among those responding to your original post. Thank you for following up and letting us now how everything turned out. Glad you were able to keep the corner cabinet in the room. The piano is beautiful - and your home built organ is impressive. Wishing you many heppy years of music making !! thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2750443
07/09/18 01:53 PM
07/09/18 01:53 PM
G
GC13 Offline
GC13  Offline
G
What a lovely piano! Congratulations on your new instrument.

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2750504
07/10/18 01:46 AM
07/10/18 01:46 AM
Rural UK
F
Fareham Offline
Fareham  Offline
F
Rural UK
Originally Posted by Jack Knuckle
Of course the black polyester finish is modern, but I really like it. I can't imagine that the best French polisher would be able to create such a perfect mirror finish, which is what I presume it would originally have come with if it was finished in black.

I have no idea if it's true, but I was told in the 1960's by a specialist French polisher, that Bechstein had a finishing shop for the cases that was 70,000 square feet in size (around 2 acres). They had 3 or 4 guys whose job was to add a layer of polish to each case in turn and then move on to the next piano and repeat the dose. He thought that it took around 10-15 minutes to put on a coat, and a piano might have 2 or 3 coats each week. The piano would stay in the case finishing shop for around 15 months, going in as a raw case, and coming out with the 'piano finish' - which Rolls-Royce attempted to emulate on their cars. The thick outer veneer was traditionally pear wood for the black stained cases, presumably chosen for its ability to take stain evenly.

Originally Posted by Jack Knuckle
So how much of the piano (apart from the case, keys and soundboard) is truly 1900 Bechstein and how much is 2017 SAP? I don't know - but also I don't really care. SAP have done the most fabulous restoration/rebuild and if this is typical of their work then unreservedly I can give them the highest praise.

I think that's exactly the right attitude to take. There is an old legal saw about the validity of changing parts which asks if an axe which has had its head and shaft replaced at different times is still the original axe, when clearly none of the original still exists. Of course, like most philosophical arguments, you can debate that one forever and a day. My own view is that it's the combination of the soundboard and rim which goes to make up the character of an instrument, and as long as they are left pretty much as originally built, then it continues to be the same piano.

But then, what do I know ?

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2750723
07/11/18 05:35 AM
07/11/18 05:35 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B
Congratulations on your beautiful piano!

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2750975
07/12/18 01:35 PM
07/12/18 01:35 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SE USA
Dang! That turned out well! Much envy.

WhoDwaldi
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2751271
07/13/18 05:18 PM
07/13/18 05:18 PM
New York, NY
K
Kenji13 Offline
Kenji13  Offline
K
New York, NY
What a beautiful piano! I would say option 5, because you have more space for your arms and piano is protected from sun light. You have a wonderful music room! Congratulations!

"Men can do all things if they will" ...Kenji...
Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2753437
07/23/18 07:12 PM
07/23/18 07:12 PM
Louisiana, USA
swampwiz Offline
500 Post Club Member
swampwiz  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Louisiana, USA
I much more impressed by the organ. Is that French door used at all?

Re: Where in the room should I fit a grand piano? [Re: Jack Knuckle] #2753618
07/24/18 04:47 PM
07/24/18 04:47 PM
J
Jack Knuckle Offline OP
Jack Knuckle  Offline OP
J
We didn't tend to use the French doors before getting the piano as the organ partially obstructed them, and whilst we can still get to them with the new piano in its position we have no real need to as we can enter the garden from another room.

I took the precaution of fitting exterior solar excluding film to the outside of the windows. It cuts out light and heat by supposedly about 80% though due to the eye's sensitivity to low light it seems only as dark as a cloudy day from inside. But it does stop the sun's heat dead in its tracks whereas otherwise it would hit the end of the piano.

Kind comments about the organ - two years in the making for me but apart from the pedals, bench, pistons and pipes (from redundant organs) and Fatar keyboards everything else was bought off the shelf from timber shops and electronics stores and put together in my garden shed. I wouldn't contemplate building my own piano though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
question for refinishers
by oth47. 09/23/18 10:04 AM
Purchase Piano Cover
by DFSRN. 09/23/18 09:35 AM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-609 Dust Key Cover
by eighty80eights8s. 09/23/18 08:42 AM
Nadia Boulanger
by dogperson. 09/23/18 07:44 AM
Dexibell S7, P7, and Nord Piano 4 action
by jon123. 09/23/18 12:13 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,441
Posts2,747,292
Members91,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission