Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
57 registered members (astrotoy, camperbc, David B, doctor S, Charles Cohen, Dfrankjazz, Chrispy, Anticlock, 12 invisible), 818 guests, and 475 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? #2709214 01/27/18 02:05 PM
-
-Jay- Offline OP
OP Offline
-
Hi Everyone

I upgraded from Garritan CFX Lite to the full version just before Christmas based on numerous positive reviews and feedback I read on here. I've only recently installed it due to upgrading my computer further, RAM upgrade and new faster SSD drive etc. I was just wondering if anyone on here will share their go-to practice/recording settings? A lot of the included presets sound a bit dull to me but I want to make sure I'm not setting the room/decay and two resonance settings to high. I play a lot of contemporary music (pop/movie soundtracks) and some classical and for the last few years have being using Galaxy Vintage D which is quite different in tone.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2709231 01/27/18 03:16 PM
N
newer player Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N
> Study the manual carefully as it is a bit dense and not so clear.

https://usermanuals.garritan.com/CFXConcertGrand/Content/main_view.htm

> This post is also very helpful to understand the settings

https://www.garritan.com/blog/abbey-road-cfx-concert-grand-player-perspective/

> Also a lot of users posted thier favourite settings in text and images. Do a search here and read around for an hour.

> My favourite these days is Full>Default>00_Classic

A few minor tweaks I make to 00_Classic:

* On right hand pane
---turn off "Limit" light as it seems to have a bug
---reduce ambient mic slider a bit to reduce "volume"

* Piano tab
---all dials at middle
---but "Room Release/Volume" a bit lower

* Studio tab
---"Stereo image" - Performer
---"Reverb" - off
---"EQ" - off

* Advanced tab
---"Advanced Settings and Monitoring" - I use highest (16GB & 256kb) but different settings may provide fewer dropouts on your computer. You need to experiment
--- "Velocity curve" Lite_1 is best for my es100 controller but most people seem to keep @ default
---"Dynamic range" based on your controller what you like best (50% is factory and ~60% seems ok on my es100)

* Tools-Preferences
Probably due to the huge room and distant ambient mics, I much prefer Garritan CFX with very low latency. So run at something like 96KHz with buffer of 96. A lot of people here are pleased with Garritan CFX at longer latencies. You need to experiment with your computer a bit.

- Took me a lot of tweaking Windoze 10 Pro but I think the latest versions are much more refined so don't require so much tweaking (based on posts here, on audio engineering forums, and my own experience).

- If you run OSX, most people get really good latency right out of the box (partly due to hidden buffers that may lock out uber-low latency).

Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2709264 01/27/18 04:59 PM
Frédéric L Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
About memory, it must be inferior than the available physical memory. Otherwise, Garritan will load too much samples and may send first seconds of samples on disk where it won’t be fastly available when you play (and you ear dropouts). At home, 8GB of physical memory, I prefer to keep the default (near 1GB) setting since the system (and some applications) uses too much memory.

A 16GB setting would be ok with a 24GB, but I would not try it on a 16GB system.

With a fast disk (SSD), Garritan doesn’t seem to need more than 1GB. Perhaps a usual disk may require more memory to compensate slower loading times.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 01/27/18 05:07 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: Frédéric L] #2709274 01/27/18 05:25 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
About memory, it must be inferior than the available physical memory. Otherwise, Garritan will load too much samples and may send first seconds of samples on disk where it won’t be fastly available when you play (and you ear dropouts). At home, 8GB of physical memory, I prefer to keep the default (near 1GB) setting since the system (and some applications) uses too much memory.

A 16GB setting would be ok with a 24GB, but I would not try it on a 16GB system.

With a fast disk (SSD), Garritan doesn’t seem to need more than 1GB. Perhaps a usual disk may require more memory to compensate slower loading times.

Good Points Frédéric.

I have 32GB RAM in computer so use the 16GB setting in Garritan CFX.

But some people here found using low GB setting in Garritan CFX works best for their systems.

A year ago, Garritan CFX performed best on my Dell 9550 with 32GB of RAM. These days 8GB of RAM performs just as well. Improved BIOS, new laptop drivers, Windows updates probably all helped. So it is worth a few minutes of expermenting on your system.

Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2709279 01/27/18 05:40 PM
G
Gabriel Hikaru Offline
G
Glad to hear you upgraded to CFX Full, Jay!

I use Philip Johnston's settings, which you can find here: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2599260 (Pictures of the settings are halfway down the page.)

However, I modified the velocity curve to encompass the full range of my Casio Privia (it's difficult to make my Privia output a MIDI velocity greater than 105).

With these settings, Garritan CFX is as responsive as my Privia's built-in sound, and sounds really nice on my recordings!

I also set the RAM allocation to 4 GB, and the pre-caching to 128 KB. On my old 2011 HP Elitebook with a 7200 RPM hard drive, this works perfectly with no clicks, even when I play an octave run with both hands over three octaves of the piano with the sustain pedal down. smile

Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2709288 01/27/18 06:32 PM
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Best settings:

Leave everything as it is, maybe turn up ambient mic slightly, not down, turn up saturation knob to as much as you like, makes it sound even better and louder. Literally ignore anything else, default setting classic mic, no reverb, pointless as the ambient mic gives you plenty.

Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2709300 01/27/18 07:13 PM
-
-Jay- Offline OP
OP Offline
-
Thanks everyone. Its really late now in the UK so I'm going to test some of these piano settings via my studio monitors tomorrow.

Interesting replies already smile Particularly that two people have choose to custom change the velocity curve. Also that default settings are recommended which by default have both the sustain resonance and sympathetic resonance at zero. Ill try these tomorrow though smile

Last edited by Jay017; 01/27/18 07:14 PM.
Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2709305 01/27/18 07:34 PM
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I never played with CFX settings much, I cycled trough some of the presets one day shortly after I got it and came across the dreamer preset ( this is in the lite version,so I presume it is in full too ), but it is bit outlandish to begin with, too resonant out of the box for general playing, so I started with that and turned down a lot of the settings bit by bit, reducing verb ( which you hardly need in CFX anyway I think) to bring it closer to the default again. Somewhere in there I found a happy medium, my modified custom dreamer preset is now one of favourite presets, along with another preset close to defaults I use. The dreamer preset alters the timbre/tone for me in a way I liked, there are some interesting EQ changes, and it uses a small bit of saturation too, this preset fattens up the sound a bit too .. I liked it, great for something like Satie smile

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 01/27/18 07:35 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2709319 01/27/18 08:49 PM
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Sustain resonance and sympathetic resonances are heavy even at zero lol, it's weird but they don't need to be any higher then the default.

Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2709393 01/28/18 06:42 AM
K
karvala Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I understand the desire for best settings for simplicity and consistency, and indeed I have a handful of customised profiles that I tend to use a lot of the time, but I would argue that above all you should aim to get a good understanding of what each of the settings does (in terms of the sound to your perception) and customise it for particular uses. The overwhelming characteristics of the CFX are warmth and environmental resonance, and customising the resonance in particular is quite important to get the sound you want.

The easiest way to learn about the settings, other than reading the manual to know what you're expecting, is to create or download a good midi file (of the type of music you're interested in, and properly created by a good performer with good dynamics etc.), play it and while it's playing adjust the settings. You'll soon see what each of them does, and what you like the sound of.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2709442 01/28/18 11:12 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N
Karvala makes good points as usual.

Real acoustic instruments don't get stale like VIs & round loudspeakers can. So I change my settings (and rotate VIs) every few days because I get tired of them quickly. I don't think I am the only one.

BTW - with Garritan CFX, you can run several instances at the same time so you can mix and match all the mic pairs; I haven't found anything too special there but haven't tried so hard either.

Some people seem to run the internal piano engine alongside with a VI. Never got that to sound right maybe because of different instruments with different tuning. Rather cottony-blobby-indistinct sound with some rather distracting phasing effects. . .

Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2709498 01/28/18 03:14 PM
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Jay,

Congratulations on your CFX Full! I am fairly confident that you will love it and will enjoy it for a long time to come!

I posted some settings in another thread that you may find interesting.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ano-vst-should-i-choose.html#Post2709497

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + Embertone Walker D Full/Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6

[Linked Image]
Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2710010 01/30/18 07:46 AM
-
-Jay- Offline OP
OP Offline
-
Thanks everyone some really good suggestions in this thread.

I've actually found the tone I enjoy best is with the resonance settings turned down considerably and the two reverb room settings kind of half way (I had these set far to high previously). I don't think I like the in-built saturation for live playing as although it makes the tone bigger sounding it compromises the dynamic range of the piano

Will anyone using a Kawai CA67 piano share/upload the velocity curve they are using?

Thanks

Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2710015 01/30/18 08:16 AM
CyberGene Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You might want to check my repedaling fix I posted some time ago: Garritan CFX repedaling fix

Without that fix I find CFX very difficult to pedal due to uncaught bass notes. Many people also thought it improved the repedaling behavior. However if you're OK with the default behavior, you don't need to apply the fix. As they say: YMMV

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: CyberGene] #2710237 01/30/18 10:01 PM
scorpio Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
You might want to check my repedaling fix I posted some time ago: Garritan CFX repedaling fix

Without that fix I find CFX very difficult to pedal due to uncaught bass notes. Many people also thought it improved the repedaling behavior. However if you're OK with the default behavior, you don't need to apply the fix. As they say: YMMV

I have not really been following along, so I apologize. Has this not been fixed with the software?

Their site states: "Re-Pedaling and Partial Pedaling
Added realism has been added to pedal behavior. Re-Pedaling “catches” a note with the sustain pedal after it is played and Partial Pedaling allows you to use a continuous sustain pedal to vary the amount of dampening applied."

Is the re-pedaling fix a different issue? Thank you.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: CyberGene] #2710241 01/30/18 10:18 PM
-
-Jay- Offline OP
OP Offline
-

Thanks for this, definitely an improvement.

Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2710244 01/30/18 10:25 PM
-
-Jay- Offline OP
OP Offline
-
Can anyone with a Kawai CA67 piano confirm that the CFX default velocity curve combined with the default normal touch setting on the CA67 is not very good. The overall velocity is far to soft. Like if I press the bottom of a key within the CFX piano itself (to sound a 127 note) and try to replicate that by hitting the Kawai keyboard fortissimo its noticeably quieter. I haven't measured the velocity values within a DAW yet but I would think I'm not playing any notes over 100 velocity.

Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: -Jay-] #2710248 01/30/18 10:49 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N

Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: scorpio] #2710272 01/31/18 03:18 AM
CyberGene Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scorpio

I have not really been following along, so I apologize. Has this not been fixed with the software?

Their site states: "Re-Pedaling and Partial Pedaling
Added realism has been added to pedal behavior. Re-Pedaling “catches” a note with the sustain pedal after it is played and Partial Pedaling allows you to use a continuous sustain pedal to vary the amount of dampening applied."

Is the re-pedaling fix a different issue? Thank you.

This fix is applied on top of it. The default repedaling is very unforgiving, you need to be too quick with the pedal to catch the notes. My fix extends the timing window for repedaling.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Garritan CFX Full Best Settings? [Re: CyberGene] #2710306 01/31/18 07:35 AM
scorpio Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This fix is applied on top of it. The default repedaling is very unforgiving, you need to be too quick with the pedal to catch the notes. My fix extends the timing window for repedaling.

Thank you.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA48 or CN39
by Louise11 - 12/05/19 07:54 PM
Help reading this piece?
by Mils - 12/05/19 06:58 PM
Free piano - from a dealer!
by Chrispy - 12/05/19 04:35 PM
Practice tips for beginners - video
by Morodiene - 12/05/19 11:29 AM
Beginner Repertoire
by JacoV - 12/05/19 08:14 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,525
Posts2,899,053
Members95,164
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission