2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Belmont,edu, keyboard sightreading resources has some materials that look pretty good.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Isabelle1949
Belmont,edu, keyboard sightreading resources has some materials that look pretty good.

Might as well post the link here wink

http://www.belmont.edu/music/admissions/piano_sightreading.html

Here are some other useful links for reading material:

https://makingmusicfun.net/htm/printit_piano_sheet_music_index.php

http://gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/freebies.html

http://imslp.org/wiki/Gradus,_Progressive_Piano_Repertoire_in_12_Volumes_(Manookian,_Jeff)

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Doing better with the challenge now. Three days in a row with sight-reading.

Yesterday, I read through "Fall" by Greg Maroney.
Then today, I did "Farewell" and "Fire Drake."

Now I'm on page 184 out of a 479-page Greg Maroney book.
His pieces are fairly long (all three of these were about 8 pages).
One of the pieces was in the key of B. I surprised myself by not missing too many A# and D# notes (those always mess me up).

Colin Dunn
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Just downloaded the 12 volumes of the "Gradus" series.
Are these meant to correspond to 12 years of piano study?
They go from very easy beginner pieces to very difficult, fast pieces in the later volumes (toccatas and very fast études).

I think the Greg Maroney stuff I am reading would correspond to about the Vol. 8-9 difficulty level in Gradus.
Some of the Gary Girouard was even more difficult, approaching Gradus vol. 10.

Colin Dunn
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Colin Dunn
Just downloaded the 12 volumes of the "Gradus" series.
Are these meant to correspond to 12 years of piano study?
They go from very easy beginner pieces to very difficult, fast pieces in the later volumes (toccatas and very fast études).

I don't know if they correspond to years but it does look like a gradual progression of material over several years.

I don't worry about levels and just try to sight read as much as I can from different sources.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Is it free to use the Sight Reading Assessment with Piano Marvel? I saw a video of Josh Wright talking about it one time. I think he said he scored 1700 to 1800, lol.

Yes, it was Josh Wrights video the convinced me to try it.

There is a free account and a premium account which you can either subscribe monthly or yearly to

The free account gives you almost all (some of the library music is missing) of the facilities of the premium account for 30 days. I believe beyond that there is a limited number of sight reading material. I kept the free account and then took out a yearly subscription on about the 28th or 29th day. That was (I think) $99 which worked out on my credit card as about £76 including the currency transaction costs.

I am seemingly using a lot of time on there. I opened the free account mid December, and by the end of December I had clocked up over 1100 minutes. In January I have, this evening, just passed 1600 minutes. The minutes are only counted when you are actually playing music. When I was breaking the 500 minutes I'd get an email saying something along the lines of congrats you are in the top 10% of subscribers if you make it to 600 you'll be in the top 5%. I think they have given up sending amy more

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I'm using a sight reading book so I do sight read at least one per day. I've also been sight reading out of the RCM level four repertoire book.
My attempts do not yet meet the criteria that SwissMS points out. Although....it's better.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
B
B
Originally Posted by SuzyUpright
@dogperson: Thanks for clarifying that for me smile I will stick with the hymnal now that I have reassurance that it's suitable. I'm really enjoying the harmonies!
David is right about it being a pain to keep open though....I'm going to have to get clips of some kind.
Too bad about the bad day Colin, but pat on the back for keeping your goal!

Suzy, your local print shop will probably be able to spiral bind it for you. If not if you know someone works in an office where they bind their own reports and training manuals you might ask them to do it and buy them some chocolates or somethhing as a thank you. I bought a book of easy Carols and songs for Christmas, A$30 and pages started falling out within a week, not best pleased at that price. Got it spiral bound, brilliant. Especially as I shall be using it for a few weeks every year.

Happy to join this thread but not necessarily post daily. I saw Josh on You tube saying you must do sight reading every practice session so as far as my limited music collection allowed I started doing that. I went to a 2nd hand music sale in Sydney last Friday and picked up a book around Grade 1. & 2 by Jane Bastien and read a piece every day. I enjoyed the bluesy one so much I sat and learned it afterwards. I bagged a great haul there, my music collection looks healthy now. (All my music was left in England when I emigrated in 1986) For the record I am at early intermediate stage.

"Study Bach: there you will find everything" - Johannes Brahms.
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
After a spirited debate on the Piano Forum about brand names and marketing, and how they affect the price of pianos...

I finally sat down and did my sight-reading for the day.
I read through "Haiku" by Greg Maroney.
I liked that piece a lot and will listen to Greg Maroney's rendition tonight, as I may want to learn to play this one.

I know others have joked about spending too much time at the computer keyboard and not enough at the piano keyboard. That was me today...

Colin Dunn
Originally Posted by QuinGold
Terry Michael: Today is always a good day to begin! This is all about self-motivation. I find just knowing that I committed to sightreading for 5 - 10 minutes a day to be a real motivator. I have a timer on top of the piano and I set it to 10 mins. That way I don't forget to practice my pieces for the 40 Pieces a Year, and I don't get too tired (sightreading is quite brain taxing).

But if you would like to be able to read faster, the only way to do it is to read every day. There are a few good YouTube videos to help as well. Read a few, as some have very good tips. The best one I found mentioned first picking out all the accidentals (like F# in the key of G), as well as seeing how much of a span your hands have to do (top note and bottom note) as this helps immediately with fingering.

I also play pieces twice. It's just not satisfying for me to play a piece badly when I know I could play it much better the second time around. I seem to remember in an exam that the examiner would say "would you like to try that again" - I think they are looking to see how well you picked it up after the first run through. It's amazing how much better it is the second time around. If it isn't, then you are trying pieces that are too hard - which is not a bad thing per se. But bear in mind that if it's at your grade level, then you are still learning to read unfamiliar notes - just don't expect to play it at tempo after one or two goes!

Thank you QuinGold. You’ve inspired me. I went and bought ALL of Paul Harris Improve your site reading Level books. Each book is a level. I will begin tomorrow!

[Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Stayed on track this week. Here is what I have done the last four days. All by Greg Maroney.

01/24/2018

Harmony Grove

01/25/2018

Hidden Beauty

01/26/2018

I'll Remember You

01/27/2018

Isabelle

I did it! A week with sight-reading at least one new piece every day.

Colin Dunn
Q
Q
I've missed quite a few days (due to being at the NAMM show and traveling and vacationing), but I'm now settled for a few days with my travel keyboard, so will aim to do a bit this week.

I wanted to mention the Read Ahead app - looks pretty good.
https://readaheadapp.com/

[Linked Image]
Yamaha N3X + Pianoteq / Arturia / Ravenscroft
S
S
Way to go Colin!
Thanks for that tip Bach ingMaddie...I have a few books that I'd love to convert smile

Month almost out and I've only missed one day! Happy to report that I'm noticing an improvement...The hymnal has been put aside for the time being, and I've been using up the elementary materials I've accumulated over the past few years. I'm playing slowly for sure, but the rhythm is more likely to be correct, and best of all I'm enjoying doing it ( gotta love the natural motivator! )

For anyone who is sight reading at the elementary level, there are a bunch of great resources on the "nice music for beginner" thread on ABF

Hope everyone is happily sight reading!

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Four more days where I got in my sight-reading practice.

01/28/2018

Greg Maroney - Lighter than Air

01/29/2018

Greg Maroney - Linda's Song

01/30/2018

Greg Maroney - Mountain Snow

01/31/2018

Greg Maroney - November's Cascade

The last couple were challenging sight-reading. "Mountain Snow" was in the key of G-flat, and "November's Cascade" was in D-flat. "November" also had a lot of two-handed arpeggios, and sometimes the chords were not simple major/minor chords.

Those C-flats and F-flats (which appeared as accidentals) were driving me crazy...

Last edited by Colin Dunn; 02/01/18 01:02 AM.

Colin Dunn
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cefinow
it would suit me better to enlist on a month-to-month basis! So I'll sign up for January

I'm up for February! One month down, 11 to go!

M
M
YOu are all inspiring me -so I just ran through 2 super easy minuetts in my "Purcell to Mozart" compendium. Shakey on the first run, then remembered the good advice and hints from above (read a measure ahead!!!!! let your knowlege of harmony and chord progressions, such as it is, work for you!!!!!) and did much better. Feels good.

Last edited by Medved1; 02/03/18 12:43 AM.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Checking in with an update to my sight-reading log.

2/1/2018

Greg Maroney - Rolling Joy

2/2/2018

Greg Maroney - Romance (intermediate)

2/3/2018

Greg Maroney - Sanctuary Medley

2/4/2018

Greg Maroney - Sitting by the Fire
Greg Maroney - Song for Jana

2/5/2018

Greg Maroney - Sweet Saturday
Greg Maroney - The Chicken Chase

2/6/2018

Greg Maroney - The Copper Hat

2/7/2018

Greg Maroney - The Gift

2/8/2018

Greg Maroney - The Journey

2/9/2018

Greg Maroney - Touch

2/10/2018

Greg Maroney - Tundra Swan

That makes a total of 21 days with daily sight-reading practice.
Some of these Greg Maroney pieces, such as "The Journey" and "Tundra Swan," look like they would be very difficult to play at tempo. Lost of lightning-fast arpeggios.
"Sanctuary Medley" was an adaptation of the Shaker tune used in Copland's "Appalachian Spring."
I'm finding I enjoy the songs inspired by nature and animals more than the ones inspired by romance / relationships.

It will be quite an accomplishment when I get through the entire "Select Collection: Second Edition" book, as it is over 450 pages. Most pieces are 6-10 pages long and in difficult-to-read keys. Usually I am mentally exhausted after reading through one or two of these. I hope that one day it translates into better piano playing!

Colin Dunn
S
S
Great streak Colin smile
I've missed one day so far for February ( I didn't practice at all that day ), hopefully I'll keep it to that.
I'm using a book now called Early Dances. It has 150 pages or so of short classical pieces that I would say fall under the middle of the beginner umbrella. Feeling a little bit more comfortable not looking at my hands all the time and eyes on the page. My goal is anywhere from 2-4 pages a day of new music. If I like something, or it has a weird rhythm or challenge, then I may spend a small amount of time with it. I'm using sight reading as my method, but my goal is just to become a better reader.

Three cheers for this thread! It's helping me stay on track...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Bumping this thread.

I was looking back at my time log and wanted to report that I missed only a single day of sight reading this year (Jan 18), but it was a lesson day so I forgive myself. grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Missed out on the first half of March, but am resuming a more everyday-ish kind of sight-reading schedule...

I've gotten more into writing out my own jazz arrangements, and I think that used up most of the gray matter available for recognizing lines & spaces!

One benefit that I really like about the consistent practice of sight reading, is that my sight reading time during lessons is no longer the unfamiliar, vaguely dreaded experience it once was. I can just get into it and play.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission