Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
143 registered members (aroyja, Auntie Lynn, anamnesis, ajames, 39 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2705774 - Yesterday at 03:05 PM Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E  
iordanisg Online content
iordanisg  Online Content

Greetings,

I've been looking for a digital piano for about a month now and after browsing various sources, I am still quite unsure about which piano is the best choice for me.

Long story short, I used to play the piano for a couple of years during school, but then decided to switch to guitar/drums. I know some theory, so I'm not a complete beginner and I'm mainly interested in piano sound and feel. Also, I would prefer a furniture-style digital piano over a portable.

My current list includes the following:

Casio AP 460, ~950E
Casio AP 650, ~1300E
Casio PX 870, ~950E
Kawai KDP 90, ~900E
Kawai CN 27, ~1300E
Korg C1 Air, ~1000E
Korg G1 Air, ~1300E
Roland F140R, ~900E
Roland HP504, ~1350E
Roland RP501R, ~1100E
Yamaha CLP 625, ~1150E
Yamaha YDP 163, ~900E
Yamaha YDP 143, ~700E

I managed to get my hands on some of the above pianos and although I don't have enough experience, here's what I thought:

Casio AP pianos: I didn't like the keys much, I thought they were too noisy
Roland F140R: I liked it overall, but the sound was a bit "artificial", especially compared to the YDP 163 (not a deal-breaker though)
Yamaha YDP 163: this was the piano that I liked the most from the ones I tried. The keys were a bit heavier than the rest, but it was still very enjoyable
Yamaha CLP 625: it felt similar to the YDP 163. I couldn't notice something extremely different. Is there any reason to get this instead of the YDP 163?

Please feel free to recommend pianos that I've missed or pianos that cost a bit more, but have distinct advantages over the ones I've listed.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2705786 - Yesterday at 04:01 PM Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: iordanisg]  
mcoll Offline
mcoll  Offline

Europe
Those Casios are overpriced. Korg is not so good compared to the alternatives. The ydp 163 and clip 625 are decent I guess, but not my cup of tea. I'm not very fond of the action.
From the list above, personally I would go for the Roland HP504, which I have and has great keys. Presently I use it with piano sounds generated by the computer (VST).
I would recommend you also try the Roland HP 601 which has marginally better keys (the newer PHA 50). They're the current top offering from Roland and are great indeed. With some talks with the dealer, it will likely fit your budget.
Also, Kawai CA48 might also be worth trying. The sound may be inferior to the Roland, but the action should also be great.
And lastly, everything is a matter of preference when it comes to piano, so you should check out all the options for yourself, try them as best you can and only then make your decision.
Have fun!

#2705801 - Yesterday at 04:41 PM Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: iordanisg]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
The only real contenders on your list are:
Roland F140R
Yamaha YDP-163
Yamaha CLP-625

If you like the Roland sound, get that one.
If you like the Yamaha sound, get the YDP-163. It's practically the same as the CLP-625 (almost), but for less money.
The latter looks a bit better, so if appearance matters ...

#2705807 - Yesterday at 05:03 PM Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: iordanisg]  
Lillith Online content
Lillith  Online Content

England
I'm on a similar search for a good mid-price digital piano, but am just an improver - a couple of years learning from Alfred.
As I never intend to play an acoustic piano, and play purely at home for my own pleasure, I'm not bothered about imitating all the key weights and actions of a real piano, and never have been sure what I was looking for .

Anyway, I've been trying all the recommended ones over the past few months - Roland, Yamaha etc, and concluded that I could put up with any of them, while not being particularly thrilled. Roland a bit heavy perhaps, Casio keys a bit clacky, Many of them had only a rudimentary display too.

Then today I found the Korg C1 Air and within a minute or two knew that this was the one for me.
I've no idea why but it just felt right to me when I played it in the store. . And it has a neat little display, a fair selection of sounds, and comes with a nice neat stand and available in white.

So when @mcoll above says ignore the Korg, I'd give it a try anyway.
It may be what you. need.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2705907 - 13 hours ago Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: Lillith]  
iordanisg Online content

@Lillith, it sounds like we are in a very similar situation.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play the Korgs, I'll try to find a store that has them. Thanks for the tip!

#2705914 - 12 hours ago Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: iordanisg]  
iordanisg Online content

@mcoll, the HP 601 and CA48 are above my hard limit of 1500E and I doubt that dealers here in Germany would be willing to negotiate their prices. I will add them to my list though, just in case.

Also, another Kawai is at the price range of the HP 601: the CN 37. Any thoughts about that?

Last edited by iordanisg; 12 hours ago.
#2705929 - 11 hours ago Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: iordanisg]  
mcoll Offline
mcoll  Offline

Europe
You may be able to get the hp601 with a discount to fit your budget. Maybe less likely for the CA48.
As for the cn37, it's the same keys as cn27 with better speakers, sounds and some extra functions.
Personally, when I searched I have focused on getting the best keys I could afford, not caring that much for other aspects. If sounds and speakers are as important as the keys for you, you can add the cn37 to your list too.
In my case, that's why I chose the hp504. And I'm not sure why MacMacMac didn't count it among the 'real contenders', as it's the best action from the list as far as I'm concerned, and others feel the same (not everybody, as it's a matter of preference too). And the Hp601 has a slightly better action and speakers, but the difference is rather subtle.
The CA48 action may be even better, but I didn't have the chance to test it yet.

#2706037 - 5 hours ago Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: MacMacMac]  
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline

Actually YDP-163 is very close to CLP-525, which is the predecessor of CLP.625... but not very many changes in between. CLP-525 could be also far cheaper than CLP-625.

Kawai KDP-90
#2706043 - 5 hours ago Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: iordanisg]  
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline

You could also try to find a CA-17 that has not been sold so far? I can see it around EUR 1600, with luck you could either find some B-stock left or bargain for this discontinued model...

I would highly recommend to make a shortlist with at least 5-6 pianos and at least 3 vendors, and try in person before making the decision.

Kawai KDP-90
#2706044 - 5 hours ago Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: iordanisg]  
PianoGuyStuart Offline
PianoGuyStuart  Offline

I've got a YDP-163 and have been very happy with it.

#2706051 - 4 hours ago Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: Jasper E.]  
PBL Online content
PBL  Online Content

Originally Posted by Jasper E.
You could also try to find a CA-17 that has not been sold so far? I can see it around EUR 1600, with luck you could either find some B-stock left or bargain for this discontinued model...

I have just seen an CA17 for ~1350E here in Denmark, so it could be realistic.

#2706114 - 1 hour ago Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: iordanisg]  
iordanisg Online content

Thank you everybody for the feedback!

I visited today once more the local store and my shortlist now is the following (strong contenders in bold):

Kawai CN 27
Korg C1 Air
Korg G1 Air
Roland F140R
Roland HP504
Yamaha CLP 625
Yamaha YDP 163

#2706127 - 1 hour ago Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: iordanisg]  
Tyr Online content
Tyr  Online Content

Germany
While I enjoy Yamaha the most, i would go with the kawai. I tried the YDP-163 for several days a year ago and both action and speakers weren't that good.

Jm2c

Current: Yamaha CLP-685PE
#2706143 - 29 minutes ago Re: Please help me select the best digital piano under 1500E [Re: iordanisg]  
GoldmanT Online content
GoldmanT  Online Content

If you liked the CN27 the CN37 is absolutely worth the extra money if you can stretch to it, the extra little speakers give a lot more presence and it has USB recording which the CN27 doesn't, plus a lot of other little bonus features.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Boston or Charles Walter upright?
by mivaldes. 01/18/18 02:23 PM
New Korg D1 stage piano
by clothearednincompo. 01/18/18 01:32 PM
grand piano advice
by Jitin. 01/18/18 12:04 PM
Definitive Source of Info Exist on Internet? (Walter)
by SonatainfSharp. 01/18/18 10:46 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,851
Posts2,688,254
Members89,476
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission