2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2704544 01/13/18 11:05 AM
V
VMK Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hello everybody

Roland hp-603 was available at store. So I took my headphones, went and played this digital piano for over 20 minutes.
I was satisfied by the tone, touch and the look.
Since I haven't had the chance to test its equal rated rivals such as Yamaha's CLP 600 series or Kawai's CA series, I wanted to listen to your suggestions about them and which one you prefer the most and why.

As for the record' Im playing acoustic piano for more than 25 years and this is my first time that I wanna buy a digital piano for recording my stuff.

Thank you...

Cheers

Last edited by VMK; 01/13/18 11:06 AM.
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
If you are used to acoustic piano, you should try the Kawai CA98/CA78 - their wooden actions are really good (not like grand acoustic - but among the better ones in DPs).

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I also recommend trying out Casio GP series(400 or 500 mostly). But both Casio GP and Kawai CA98 are more expensive than Roland 603. I would pass on Yamaha bellow 685 model because all of the lower models do not have counterweights and/or graded keys.

Roland LX708
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
The usual recommendation here is to play as many pianos as yo can. But if you are not able to play other brands and are happy with the Roland then it would seem sensible to settle for that. Will you still have your acoustic? Have you played lots of acoustics or just the one?

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
I think the HP603 is the least-expensive "console" Roland with their best action and SuperNatural Modelled sound generator.

If you intend to use it with headphones, you won't be troubled by possibly-weak amps and too-small speakers.

You might check out the Roland FP-90 -- "slab piano" format, same action and sound generator as the HP603.

For comparisons with other makes -- you'd do better to use your own ears and fingers. Very subjective area.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
V
VMK Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hello eveybody and thank you for your replies... I really appreciate

Yes Colin Im gonna keep the acoustic one.
Today I was able to test Yamaha CLP 635 and 645 the way I tested HP 603. Although I was told CLP 645 had better key action, Surprizingly the 635 was way better than 645 specially in the lower tones.
Now so far between CLP 635 and HP 603 I gotta say the key action of HP 603 is more realistic and the button usage is more practical.
On the other hand the CLP 635 had more drama and power in the lower notes.
Yes Osho, I have to test Kawai as well since Ive heard positive reviews on them and when I do so, I will let you know.
Dear Charles the FP 90 suggestion is interesting but its not available. I hope I can get my hands on it as well since it really looks the best among the portable digital pianos.

Last edited by VMK; 01/15/18 08:18 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted by Nordomus
I would pass on Yamaha bellow 685 model because all of the lower models do not have counterweights and/or graded keys.

? pretty much all pianos have 'graded' keys. The only difference with the 675/685 is that each key is graded rather than in the 4 or so zones that most pianos have. It's not really a difference anyone notices in playing though, also I'm not even sure if yamaha actually do it realistically or simply have it getting lighter note by note in a smooth fashion. An acoustic doesn't actually have a smooth change in weight as while the hammers get lighter bit by bit as the notes get higher, the counter and damper weighting along with any springs involved are typically done on a zone by zone basis (and of course the further disconnect in the top octave and a bit where there are no dampers).

Also I'd hesitate to put too much value in 'counterweights' alone. At best they imply a larger dynamic weighting compared against a non counterweighted model from the same range. Comparing across manufacturers is a little pointless though, an otherwise very light key with what is nominally a counterweight embedded in it might still be overall lighter than a competitors key which is simply got more mass to it.

Ultimately it's personal preference, since VMK has been playing acoustic for many years they probably have a pretty good idea of what they consider to be a good feel based on the acoustic(s) they play on which, of course, vary wildly.

Not sure what prices in Armenia are like but in the UK the kawai competitors in this range seem to be the CN37 (bit less money) and the CA48 (bit more money) with the slightly puzzling situation where the former has a better sound engine but the latter has a (probably) better action.

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
I think the HP603 is the least-expensive "console" Roland with their best action and SuperNatural Modelled sound generator.

Possibly not for much longer I think. In the UK the 603 seems to be in clearance sale mode and looks like it's being replaced in the line up by the 601 which still has the pha-50 action but the previous sampled attack/modelled rest hybrid supernatural sound engine

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission