2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
52 members (Auraltuner, 36251, accordeur, anotherscott, 1957, Beowulf, 13 invisible), 421 guests, and 368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Debussy Anniversary - Themed Recital?
Sam S #2702008 01/04/18 06:56 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I'm in an introductory relationship with two of them (Reverie and Girl with the Flaxen Hair) but it's over my ability so it's slow going. I love it though. Unless a few lines is appropriate, I won't be ready. Will enjoy listening.

[Linked Image]

Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Sam S #2702057 01/04/18 11:35 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think I'll wait until 2020 ;0 I'm trying to polish Waltz in A Minor for the March recital - that's hard enough.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha DC3X Enspire Pro
YouTube
[Linked Image]
bSharp(C)yclist #2702067 01/04/18 12:18 PM

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I think I'll wait until 2020 ;0 I'm trying to polish Waltz in A Minor for the March recital - that's hard enough.

I am working on that too, but hope to play it for the February general recital. We seem to be working on a lot of the same pieces these past several months!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Sam S #2702133 01/04/18 04:17 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'll give this a miss after all; 'bout time I consolidated more older pieces. Not much point in doin' 'em if you don't remember them for your repertoire . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
casinitaly #2702154 01/04/18 05:11 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

I am working on that too, but hope to play it for the February general recital. We seem to be working on a lot of the same pieces these past several months!

Haha, it looks that way. I started the Waltz last year sometime, and let it go for several months. I should be ready by March. For February, I'll probably do another Sonatina because I seem to do lots of them ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha DC3X Enspire Pro
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Sam S #2702233 01/05/18 12:53 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Just came across this - so deadline for submission is June 1st? It will give me time to figure out how to go about recording and submitting. I did it once a few years ago in the 'beginners cafe' and have'nt tried again. I could polish up Bergamasque Prelude or Passepied to offer up something besides Claire ... or Girl..... Currently attempting Collines d'AnnaCapris but doubt it will be good enough by June. I'll keep an eye on the thread!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Sam S #2705098 01/15/18 12:24 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Unfortunately, he didn't write anything that would be suitable for beginners. There are many pieces (some of his most beautiful and famous) that are usually considered intermediate or late intermediate. Everyone has heard Clair de Lune, Arabesque #1, the "Girl with the Flaxen Hair", the Little Shepherd and so forth...

According to my teacher the "easiest" Debussy pieces in original form are VERY late Intermediate/Early Advanced. Very frustrating for most non-expert piano students.

I have found an arranged version of Reverie that has most if not all of the flavor of this piece in an easier version (Level 4 I would guess).

Even Chopin has quite a few pieces below Level 5 that are doable for 5-year students like me.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
BrianDX #2705213 01/15/18 05:30 PM
Sam S Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BrianDX
Unfortunately, he didn't write anything that would be suitable for beginners. There are many pieces (some of his most beautiful and famous) that are usually considered intermediate or late intermediate. Everyone has heard Clair de Lune, Arabesque #1, the "Girl with the Flaxen Hair", the Little Shepherd and so forth...

According to my teacher the "easiest" Debussy pieces in original form are VERY late Intermediate/Early Advanced. Very frustrating for most non-expert piano students.

I have found an arranged version of Reverie that has most if not all of the flavor of this piece in an easier version (Level 4 I would guess).

Even Chopin has quite a few pieces below Level 5 that are doable for 5-year students like me.

I think that two of the difficulties are counting and rhythm. Take "The Little Shepherd" for instance. It certainly looks intimidating if you have never been exposed to something like that. But if you break it down and count it carefully, practice slowly and learn small chunks at a time (it's only 31 measures), I think an intermediate player can perform it, especially if they are good at counting and rhythm.

Sam

Sam S #2706535 01/19/18 04:12 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by BrianDX

I think that two of the difficulties are counting and rhythm. Take "The Little Shepherd" for instance. It certainly looks intimidating if you have never been exposed to something like that. But if you break it down and count it carefully, practice slowly and learn small chunks at a time (it's only 31 measures), I think an intermediate player can perform it, especially if they are good at counting and rhythm.

Sam

Funny you should mention that one, I started having a go at it as it was one of those pieces when I heard it where I thought, actually, this may just be doable for me, and I was pleasantly surprised how I got on with it trying it for the first time. I've never tried anything by Debussy to date, though he is amongst my favourite composers as are the impressionist like Satie ( for me they are the pinnacle of piano music ) , and I seem to bond well with that kind of music, I can't say the same about my Bach struggles at times laugh .

Sure, it is early days and not sure how well I'll get it to performance level , but I'll sign up in time if I am sure that is the one, there are a couple of other in that album that may be in reach I'll have a go at, and I'll see how it goes in the mean time.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Sam S #2707049 01/21/18 01:35 PM
C
C
I think I can be in. I'm working on the Sarabande from the piano suite for an exam in June so it better be ready lol. I also did learn Arabesque 1 previously so I could resurrect that pice as well

Gave up on exams - playing whatever I feel like
Working on:
Bach Partita #2
Field Nocturne in E minor
Scriabin prelude op11 no 11
Chopin Waltz A-flat major
Sam S #2711763 02/05/18 08:24 PM
S
S
I'd love to join.. I've been working on/off on Reverie but couldn't find the motivation to continue. A recital would certainly spur me on!

schinl #2711768 02/05/18 08:35 PM
Sam S Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by schinl
I'd love to join.. I've been working on/off on Reverie but couldn't find the motivation to continue. A recital would certainly spur me on!

Love to have you join the recital. Sign-up thread is HERE!

Sam

Sam S #2711852 02/06/18 06:37 AM
Thanks for the bump, I missed this one. Have done Arabesque 1 and Dr. Gradus and will probably join with the 1st as I think it will be much less work to bring back up to speed.

I also highly recommend this piece to intermediate players, as it's really not grade 8 from a purely technical perspective, and very highly rewarding to play.

So while you might spend a lifetime polishing it musically, you won't be frustrated by technical difficulties. In my opinion, the hardest part is the 2-against-3 passage right at the beginning. If you can get through that cleanly, the rest of the piece won't be much more trouble. If you like the piece, try the first page and see how it goes :-)

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Bunneh #2712152 02/06/18 10:25 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Bunneh
Thanks for the bump, I missed this one. Have done Arabesque 1 and Dr. Gradus and will probably join with the 1st as I think it will be much less work to bring back up to speed.

I also highly recommend this piece to intermediate players, as it's really not grade 8 from a purely technical perspective, and very highly rewarding to play.

So while you might spend a lifetime polishing it musically, you won't be frustrated by technical difficulties. In my opinion, the hardest part is the 2-against-3 passage right at the beginning. If you can get through that cleanly, the rest of the piece won't be much more trouble. If you like the piece, try the first page and see how it goes :-)

Thanks, that's good to hear. I was thinking of trying Impressionist music for the first time, after I'm done with a couple of pieces I'm working on now, and Arabesque 1 seemed to appeal to me the most among doable pieces by Debussy (besides Clair de Lune, but my daughter has been tackling this one, and we're trying to avoid overlap :)). I won't be ready in time for the recital, though, but it's OK. It has a pretty full program already. And I'm planning to participate in the Waltz recital in March...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Pianoteq on mono . . .
by peterws - 10/29/20 05:54 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,482
Posts3,018,544
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission