Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Forums With A View!
--------------------
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
99 registered members (ando, Albert Brighten, agraffe, accordeur, anamnesis, 27 invisible), 948 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2704254 - 01/12/18 11:26 AM Re: Am I normal? [Re: jdw]  
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
Originally Posted by jdw
I wonder if it would help to play something that's practically all triplet, just to get the feel of that rhythm solidly into your body and brain. Others have said something similar above, like the triplet scales. Another way you can think of triplets is that they're like playing 6/8 time with stresses on beat 1 and 4, only faster.

FWIW, I found the opening by Philip glass to be excellent for this, it is easy to sight read and you can really focus on that exercise. Once comfortable and you start getting the hang of it, you can then focus making the triplets sound more musical too in a piece such as this.

Lisista has a wonderful rendition of it, it's on spotify. There is a rather dull mechanically played version of it showing the score on youtube, but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc1KM57LblQ

For me it just clicked with some practice over a number of days practising those 3 v 2 timings. The way I recall it, it was bit like learning to juggle or ride a bike, at first you can't do it, it feels unnatural, but you stick at it for for a few days, then, suddenly it just clicked into place one day for me (for the most part).

PS I am not a teacher, everyone may have had different experiences, so I am no expert, I am just sharing the fact I found it personally very useful to play that piece to help with that issue.

Good luck.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Casio AP450 & software.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2704298 - 01/12/18 01:54 PM Re: Am I normal? [Re: sara elizabeth]  
Beemer Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Beemer  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Scotland
Originally Posted by sara elizabeth
Okay I am in Grade 4 now. We have started playing triplets and mixing them with "regular" time notes. I'm playing the "other minuet in G", BVW 116. In bar 23-24 it goes from a triplet to a regular and I cannot fricken get it right for the life of me! Is this a normal problem at this level or am I slow? My teacher keeps saying ba-na-na pear apple pear or whatever other help there is and I still am horrible at it. If I put on the metronome it just makes me go insane! Help!!! I am so frustrated.

The best advice I have had about triplets are that from my guitar tutor. The down-up-down, then up-down-up plectrum sequence lit up a light bulb in my brain. I still use this rhythmic feeling when playing piano triplets.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
#2704708 - 01/13/18 10:42 PM Re: Am I normal? [Re: bSharp(C)yclist]  
sara elizabeth Offline
sara elizabeth  Offline

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I think Sonatina in C Major by Duncombe is a good exercise in triplets. It's RCM 1, but I still play it from time to time. I found using a metronome helps to make sure the eight notes after the triplets are played correctly.

I unfortunately don’t have the grade 1 book. Can you link me your soundcloud of 116?

#2704753 - 01/14/18 08:23 AM Re: Am I normal? [Re: sara elizabeth]  
bSharp(C)yclist Online content
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
Hi Sarah,

The Duncombe piece is a 1 pager. It's easily found on Google Images. See link below smile

https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.musescore.com/2159181/987a8f2656/score_0.png

Here is the SoundCloud link

https://soundcloud.com/crouthamel/minuet-g-major-bwv-116

Here is a YouTube video, but where I play all three (114, 115, 116), but on the YDP-181. It was put together to try and sell it on Craigslist. Wow, so many scammers, lol. I had one person send me a check for $2000 and asked me to send $800 to the shipper. I just laughed. She/he followed up and asked if I got the check (which was obviously fake). I said, yea, I got it, I cashed it, and bought 2K worth of cocaine to make holidays merry, haha. I love playing scammers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx_Z2Sa81bg

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2704868 - 01/14/18 02:43 PM Re: Am I normal? [Re: bSharp(C)yclist]  
sara elizabeth Offline
sara elizabeth  Offline

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Hi Sarah,

The Duncombe piece is a 1 pager. It's easily found on Google Images. See link below smile

https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.musescore.com/2159181/987a8f2656/score_0.png

Here is the SoundCloud link

https://soundcloud.com/crouthamel/minuet-g-major-bwv-116

Here is a YouTube video, but where I play all three (114, 115, 116), but on the YDP-181. It was put together to try and sell it on Craigslist. Wow, so many scammers, lol. I had one person send me a I check for $2000 and asked me to send $800 to the shipper. I just laughed. She/he followed up and asked if I got the check (which was obviously fake). I said, yea, I got it, I cashed it, and bought 2K worth of cocaine to make holidays merry, haha. I love playing scammers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx_Z2Sa81bg

Omg hilarious!! Thank you for the links. I’m going to watch tonight.

#2705188 - 01/15/18 03:15 PM Re: Am I normal? [Re: sara elizabeth]  
Simon_b Offline
Simon_b  Offline

Kent, UK
Hi Sarah

I don't know the piece and I haven't seen the sheet music, and I'm not really a 'classical' Piano player. But I can read music, quite well, and know about the difficulty of trying to translate rhythms from the page.

This is what I suggest, and have just tried doing. Sitting down, tap your left hand on the chair at a steady beat, like you are a metronome, use a metronome at the same time if that helps you to keep a steady pulse. Then count out loud (if neccessary) 1 2 3 to each tap for a while, then switch to counting 1 2 to each tap for a while (obviously keeping the pulse at exactly the same tempo). Then switch between counting 1 2 3 and 1 2 whilst tapping until you can effortlessly do both. Now go to the piano and tap your left hand on anything, the stool, the lid whatever, and play 1 2 3 on the same note to the pulse, then switch to 1 2 (count out loud at the same time if required to start with) and then eventually alternate 1 2 3 and 1 2 on a single note. Once you can do this start articulating the actual notes in the phrase you are trying to play, whilst continuing to keep a pulse with the other hand. Then stop tapping!! and just play :-)

I haven't read the other replies, so I'm sure you'll of had loads of other helpful advice.
Listening to a recording repeatedly will also make it sink in eventually...

Cheers

Simon
Yamaha CLP535

Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing!

#2705227 - 01/15/18 05:35 PM Re: Am I normal? [Re: jdw]  
MichaelJK Online content
MichaelJK  Online Content

Connecticut, USA
Yes, you're normal. Music is hard.

Originally Posted by jdw
I think it's really important to feel the main beat stresses. Then if both duple and triple feel "normal" to you, it's not as big a deal whether the beat is one note, or divides into two notes, three notes, four notes--it's still the same steady beat.

This is, at the end of the day, the main point. If you can't feel a steady beat, you're never getting anywhere. So make that your priority. You said you hate the metronome, which is also very normal for beginners. It's definitely worth making friends with it, though. And it is entirely possible.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How much space for pulling action
by CHAS. 01/23/18 08:05 PM
Help in NYC for Roland RD2000
by chadwilliams. 01/23/18 06:09 PM
Forums With A View!
by Piano World. 01/23/18 05:51 PM
Nord Electro 6
by CyberGene. 01/23/18 05:43 PM
Piano bed
by phantomFive. 01/23/18 05:04 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,938
Posts2,689,947
Members89,500
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission