Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Campanella12, CyberGene, David Izquierdo, AndyP, cliowa, Beemer, Bambers, 15 invisible), 1,161 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2671974
09/01/17 04:01 AM
09/01/17 04:01 AM
Sydney, Australia
A
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline
A

Sydney, Australia
I learned guitar initially to pick up chicks, then branched off to piano. Now piano is my main and preferred instrument and I've landed myself a wife. To me, the piano is more 'graceful' whilst guitar is more 'cool'.

Never had a teacher or opportunity to play when I was young. Now as an adult, i enjoy piano as a hobby and the challenge of learning new pieces.

Kawai CA78 | Kawai ES110 | Kawai Upright | Alexander Herrmann Upright (Sold) | Korg SP170 (Sold) | JBL LSR305 // Pianoteq Stage // CFX Lite
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: cmb13] #2672668
09/04/17 06:19 AM
09/04/17 06:19 AM
Toronto
H
hoasjoe Offline
hoasjoe  Offline
H

Toronto
I've read a lot of reports on the health benefits of playing music on the brain. Took a few lessons at age 5 but didn't click. In my mid-30s restarted. The health benefits didn't cross my mind as much as playing music is an activity that is acceptable and encouraged in my culture. In the old days (before the 1970s) many people smoked and didn't live a long life. By the time they get to their 70s & 80s they would be gone so the words Dementia & Alzheimer doesn't usually come up in a conversation.

In my culture, there is a lot of emphasis on respecting your elders, teachers and people of authority. Someone like myself wouldn't get into playing piano / keyboard without a teacher. And then there is the expectation of someone starting at a young age and worked hard to become a professional.

When I was younger I was like many teens who attended school week after week with no future plans. Just finish school then decide what to do later. Had a music teacher in high school for violin. The teacher once said piano is a good second instrument because you can learn all the music theory and play chords easily. Took his advice but thought that piano is too difficult because you need to read the Bass Clef and play 2 hands at sync. Back in high school liked listening to a few pieces played with a piano but had no expectations of ever trying to play them. Took many years before I was ready to give piano / keyboard a try.

With uploaded music readily available, it is much easier to start learning to play. Wouldn't turn the clock back to my younger days and regret what might happen if I had pushed myself to work harder and make something out of playing piano. A few years ago submitted a video to a piano playing contest hosted by a local broadcast station playing 1 piece of Classical music for 3 minutes. The point was to share my passion of music with hundreds of amateur pianists who also submitted their performances. 20 years ago couldn't see myself ever playing a piano / keyboard every week. Now I can't see myself not playing for a week.

Just like to focus on the future and learn many pieces along the way. Never look back at what you didn't accomplish in the past. Let bygone be bygone. People and circumstances change...

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2679017
10/01/17 12:25 PM
10/01/17 12:25 PM
F
Fryloc Offline
Fryloc  Offline
F

My mom bought a piano when I was very young. She showed me middle c and the other notes on the scale. I later learned how to read music in grade school where we had a music class and played recorders. Neither of my two brothers nor I ever really learned to play that piano, rather we'd set up a tape recorder and pound away on the keys, pretending it was some hit classical piece we wrote. In fifth grade I took up saxophone and played for the next eight years, putting it away after graduation since none of my friends played any instruments. After high school I really didn't play much of anything, even though I dabbled in guitar, clarinet, and trumpet. Then my brother in law gave me an old worn out, beat up, out of tune 100 year old upright that was in his barn for untold years. Keytops falling off, veneer peeling, hammer shanks broken, etc, but all the strings minus one were intact, the broken string and missing hammers were in the highest octave. It was also a half step flat pretty evenly across the keys, and I didn't want to trash a piano that survived almost a decade, so I took it home to restore. Silly me... But it did resurrect my interest in piano, and since my daughters like to sit and push the keys, (actually they both show interest in whatever instrument I decide to play) well why not show them how to play? Besides, it isn't uncommon to find pianos elsewhere, other family members, chur he's, schools, heck sometimes you can find them on the sidewalk in front of businesses, and wouldn't it be fun to knock out a song or two?

Btw, one of my regrets is not continuing my music playing after high school.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2687075
11/04/17 02:00 PM
11/04/17 02:00 PM
Denver
S
sue_deutscher Offline
sue_deutscher  Offline
S

Denver
It keeps the monkeys out of the lion cage.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2687100
11/04/17 03:46 PM
11/04/17 03:46 PM
Orig. land of Svear&Götar
R
RaggedKeyPresser Online blank
1000 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser  Online Blank
1000 Post Club Member
R

Orig. land of Svear&Götar
I bought mine new and I still haven't been able to wear it out.
The keys don't even look worn.

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1. Reviewing basics/ear training/analysis in interesting exercises.
Opus 599. Now at #77 and giving it a break.
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2687436
11/05/17 09:21 PM
11/05/17 09:21 PM
Estonia
Muhwu Offline
Muhwu  Offline

Estonia
I have multitude of reasons, but basically I played the keyboard when I was in grammar school, but I always fancied a piano. I also always thought piano was by far the coolest instrument, because you're basically playing the roles of multiple instruments (I'm not big on being the accompanist personally). I also thought people playing fast stuff like metal (with keyboard) or flight of the bumblebee with piano was the coolest thing ever. However, after grammar school I didn't have access to an instrument and no time nor enough ambition to pursue this path further.

Fast forwarding 25 years, some negative personal events finally made me take the leap and getting my own and starting off virtually from scratch (with some knowledge into reading sheet music but only the basics). I used it as a form of therapy one could say (still do), since it helps one detach from worries of the real world and channel those feelings into music. The only regret I have is that I did not get an instrument before now.

2 years in, I'm progressing fast (or I'd like to think so) with a help of a teacher and looking to buy my first baby grand soon. smile

"My dear hands. Farewell, my poor hands."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff

Estonia 190
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2689621
11/15/17 12:31 AM
11/15/17 12:31 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
thepianoplayer416  Offline
T

Toronto, Canada
Like most people, the love of music definitely...

Being brought up in a non-musical family, everybody had taken some music lessons and dreaded the weekly sessions that were treated like academic exercises.

There was always music in the house off recordings including anything from Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn & Elton John. In my younger days nobody really think they can play songs on a piano. Took up violin in high school. We had a group of 4 students in music class who did a project on the composer Bach. For the class demo, went to the library and got a recording of the French Suite #3 performed on a harpsichord. It was never a dream to even attempt to play a movement out of the 6 French Suites. For many years thought it would be too difficult to get the 2 hands to coordinate.

Once met Scott Houston at a 1h piano playing seminar showing people how to play simple tunes on a keyboard before he because the host of 2 PBS shows "Scott the Piano Guy" & "Piano in a Flash". Decided to get a keyboard and never stopped playing since. The reason for getting seriously into playing music was due to some traumatic events that happened 10 years ago. Music (playing the piano in particular) became my way of relieving stress. It is a personal expression that I don't have to live my life like other people. I was brought up in a close extended family. Many relatives had taken music lessons but don't get into music to the same degree that they would play everyday.

personal recordings

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2692935
11/29/17 04:50 PM
11/29/17 04:50 PM
VA,US
P
Pianist@Heart Offline
Pianist@Heart  Offline
P

VA,US
Hi,
I first started taking lessons when I was in 7th grade. When I was first taking lessons and doing a recital every year I loved performing. After one of my recitals I said to myself that I always want playing the piano in my life. Well I stopped for a few years and then I started taking lessons again. Then I stopped again. Now I want to play and learn even more. I appreciate playing even more now. It is amazing when you can really feel the music.I was nervous before I performed but once I got on stage it was just me and that piano. Also it is really something when you can take your love of playing and pass it on to someone else. I taught my nephew for 2 years and it was a true blessing.

Last edited by Pianist@Heart; 11/29/17 04:51 PM.
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2695582
12/09/17 12:45 PM
12/09/17 12:45 PM
Chattahoochee Hills, GA, USA
T
Tootles Offline
Tootles  Offline
T

Chattahoochee Hills, GA, USA
My husband inspired me to learn piano (at age 62!!!)

We met as clarinetist in the Army Band in 1976. He was fresh out of college with a music composition degree and had played a little piano as a kid. I was fresh out of high school eager to play music for a living. He lasted 3 years, I lasted 9 years, then we both went back to school and got non-musical jobs.

Fast forward maybe 10 years ago, and the hubby got interested in piano again. He played on an electric keyboard for a while, then for his Christmas present I borrowed an upright Wurlitzer from church and won him some piano lessons in a silent auction. Over the next five years or so, he upgraded to a Yamaha and then to a Bechstein grand he rebuilt. He found a great teacher and as his skills got better we started playing music together again (him on the piano and me on the Recorder, which is similar to the clarinet but much easier to play). It brought back some wonderful feelings.

When the hubby retired and took a 5 month solo hiking trip, I picked up my clarinet again and started playing with a community band. When he got back, we started playing together -- with him on the piano and me on the clarinet. While I loved, loved, loved, that experience, that isn't want got "me" interested in learning the piano.

When the hubby turned 62, he decided to go back to school under our state's free tuition program, and he enrolled as a piano performance major. He was a little tentative about this to start with because he didn't think he would ever be able to meet the requirement that he memorize music, but to his surprise he did.

Over night, it seems, our home took on the flavor of a music conservatory. With hubby practicing piano in one room and me practicing clarinet in the other room, it was (and is) just so cool to hear music for hours on hours throughout the day.

Then one day the hubby brought home the piano books he was using to teach a student as part of his pedagogy class. He said his student wanted to learn, "Heart & Soul." He played it once for me and I instantly remembered the snappy little tune. I said I wanted to learn it too, so he wrote out the fingerings and gave me a lesson. I half-way played at it for a while, but when I finally retired last month, I decided to take a go at the piano with all of my Heart & Soul. So now my hubby is teaching me the piano and I'm lovin' it!

I'm in my 3rd week of lessons, and can say that learning the piano is a humbling experience. Being able to read music is an advantage, but oh how my head aches at learning to read two lines of music -- one of them in bass cleft, which I had never learned -- and then just when I think I've got that down, now I'm learning to use the pedal too. How do piano players do it? But I am totally having a blast, and just when I feel like my head is ready to explode, all of the sudden I can play through my little Heart & Soul piece without barely a mistake. It's such a thrill:-)

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2695585
12/09/17 01:00 PM
12/09/17 01:00 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
Welcome Tootles!
I just have to ask: are you possibly married to Sam S, A member of this forum? If so, you’re going to have one great teacher. Enjoy every minute.

P.S. I hope I’m not being too intrusive, and I would not be offended if you decided not to answer the question about your husband

Last edited by dogperson; 12/09/17 01:31 PM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2699820
12/27/17 03:52 AM
12/27/17 03:52 AM
Oregon, USA
O
OregonJim Offline
OregonJim  Offline
O

Oregon, USA
Why? Hmmm... I hadn't really given it much thought until I saw this question.

When I was 10 years old, my parents bought me a Yamaha Electone organ. It was the "thing to do" in the '70s. It seemed as though everyone had an organ in their home. I took to it quite well and enjoyed playing it for several years - at least until girls became interesting. After graduating high school, I formed a rock band. While I started by playing the organ, I quickly switched to bass guitar out of necessity (we didn't have a bass player, and we needed one more than an organist). I had always loved the sound & feel of the bass, and it seemed to be the instrument that was made for me. I picked it up quite easily and naturally. The band lasted for several years and became fairly popular, until one summer when several of us got married, and that marked the beginning of the end of the band. Throughout my working career, I have formed several more (informal) bands and had quite a lot of fun. I play bass on the church praise team as well. Over the last couple of decades, I've also learned how to play guitar, harmonica, ukulele, and violin. Interestingly, I have always had a keyboard of some sort in the house - even though I haven't seriously played keys of any sort since high school.

That is, until a couple of years ago, when I retired early. Having a sudden abundance of free time, mixed with a feeling of nostalgia, I became interested in keys again. This time, I decided to start learning piano. I don't know why, really - throughout my life I've been rather ambivalent toward piano - I've actually disliked the sound more often than not. Too plinky, too clangy, too muddy - organ, on the other hand, has always been a pleasing sound to me; Hammonds in particular (which I now have two of). Synths have always interested me as well. So why piano? I do enjoy the sound in a slow love ballad, or a blues, or smooth jazz, or even a boogie woogie. So, those are the styles I'm learning on the piano. But why? Maybe it's as simple as "I want to". Or maybe it's too complex a question to be answered with words.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2702028
01/04/18 09:32 AM
01/04/18 09:32 AM
LadyAcadia Offline

LadyAcadia  Offline

Why you play the piano. . .
I love to learn new things and playing the piano is my happy place from the daily grind.

how did you first get interested. . .
I would say my mom did. Our upright piano was a focal point in our living room. Mom enjoyed singing show tunes and I would be her accompaniment.

who or what inspired you. . .
Great question! I recall being inspired at my first piano recital (grade school). One of the advanced students played a pop song, Spinning Wheel. I struggled for months to play my Hi-Lili Hi-Lo. His performance got the whole crowd clapping in rythum & a few people around me knew the lyrics and sang along! :-)

what keeps you going?
Two very important people keep me going. (1) My best friend hubby is very supportive. Always looking to buy me the best keyboard we could afford. I started with a Casio keyboard, then on to a Technics digital 88 and now Yamaha Portable Digital Grand Piano. (2) My choir director who I've been singing with for nearly 10 years is now my piano teacher since May of 2017. She is amazing musician, teacher & friend, but make no mistake she can be firm when I need that extra little push.

Thank you for this website. I'm so excited to be a member here. Between grade school and the present, I've had 2 terms of music study in high school (piano & acoustic guitar) and in college 2 terms of music theory. Now in my mid-fifties I wasn't sure that I could learn anything more advanced than the occasional Easy Piano books that I picked over the years. Learning about the 40 Piece Challenge brought me here. Happy New Year everyone!

Dona Nobis Pacem
Yamaha DGX 660 (portable 88)
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2703684
01/10/18 12:40 PM
01/10/18 12:40 PM
L
lilystem2609 Offline
lilystem2609  Offline
L

My story isn't particularly unique, but I'll share it anyway. I started playing at age six because my parents wanted me to learn an instrument. Why piano? I don't know precisely, but probably because we already had one-- a dinged up old thing that came with the house and got replaced not long after.

My older brother took piano lessons from our grandmother, a pretty high calibre piano teacher, but as she lived several hours away lessons were weeks or even months apart. My dad always says that he was the one who decided I should have more regular lessons instead-- I think he regretted not playing an instrument as a kid.

I started lessons with a family friend. At first I liked piano because of the novelty of it, but around age eight or nine I stopped caring. Fortunately my parents made sure I kept practicing, and when I reached a higher level I loved being able to hear pieces, find the music and learn to play them. I also learned a lot from a wonderful classical music summer camp.

I keep playing now because I find so much joy in playing and occasionally performing for a church or small local event. It's also nice to have something that I've put so much effort into that I can actually do it pretty well!

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2704099
01/11/18 08:36 PM
01/11/18 08:36 PM
Maryland
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
It seems that my journey is not unique, which is good to know. I took lessons as a child but it was summer and I guess my mother tired of telling me to practice and so the lessons ended. There was always this part of me that wished I could play, but nothing ever became of it.

Fast forward to current day. I'm in my late 40's and my husband and I have begun "following" his cousin's rock band. They play locally all summer. My husband decided to take up drums and guitar, opening the door for that long dormant dream of piano.

The band has a young keyboardist and every time we go see them, I am reminded that if I had just stuck with it all those years ago, I could probably play like she does.

And so... I got a keyboard and began again. One day I'll tell my keyboardist friend how she inspired me to try again.

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1 🎹
Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1 🎶
PianoVideoLessons.com
🎼 Piano Marvel 3D
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2704120
01/11/18 09:54 PM
01/11/18 09:54 PM
Roswell, Georgia
N
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
NancyM333  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Roswell, Georgia
Welcome to the Forums, GidgetKeys. It’s so much fun to challenge yourself in a skill, especially one with such beautiful results. I look forward to hearing how you progress.

Estonia 168
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2704289
01/12/18 02:15 PM
01/12/18 02:15 PM
Scotland
Beemer Online content
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Online Content
Bronze Subscriber

Scotland
Cliché follows (well for just a bit)

My father bought an Eavestaff English made piano for my sister who was 10 years older than me. Many years later I found a price ticket inside that read £113. She was soon too leave our home by the time I was introduced to piano lessons.

I can just recall the visits to my first teacher. This was in the days when some scores still had a "+" sign for the thumb (perhaps not in the usa?) Being only nine, I cannot remember much about those days except, if you will forgive, my recollection of that presumably young female teacher changing her dress as she taught! In those days no parlor would be without a wall mounted mirror hence my vision of her dressing that has remained until this my 70th year!

Soon after I was moved without explanation (perhaps the mirror had some part in this?) to a new tutor. Mrs Hughes had a Blüthner grand (which I only recently found out due to a friend of much ability telling me so because he also "went" to Mrs Hughes,

Unfortunately Mrs Hughes (a woman then of advanced years and probably now departed) had a tendency to mirror my hands by placing them on top of mine to perceive my fingering. This I detested but what could I as a child do to prevent it/

My father was then killed in a horrible steelworks accident. The company then provided ongoing tuition but of course I, at 13, was too young to understand the offer. My practicing became erratic and eventually after Grade 4 Mrs Hughes said that she would no longer teach me. I now realise that she was correct in her decision, but I do feel very bad about my laziness.

So that was the end of my formal tuition. Then 14, I pursued other interests, those predominantly wearing skirts, which is where I met my wife and who presently puts up with my playing and my frequent piano tuning processes.

I cannot end without saying that this Pianoworld forum has done more for me, than I can express, to expand my musical knowledge and that of piano technology than anything before in my life.

Modestly, I can now say that I am well beyond grade four (but my daughter now a piano teacher, might say otherwise smile )

thanks,

Ian

Last edited by Beemer; 01/12/18 02:19 PM.

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2704341
01/12/18 05:29 PM
01/12/18 05:29 PM
B
Bobby Badd Offline
Bobby Badd  Offline
B

I play the piano because I've played all the other instruments I was interested in. I started out playing drums in grade school, thru HS then put myself thru college playing in bands.
Along the way, I dabbled in the guitar but moved to mandolin and still play today. I've played drums in country bands back in the day, played in rock n roll bands on the weekends for kicks and additional money.
And, played mandolin in bluegrass bands, still do. Some fiddle as well.

Several years ago, being empty nesters, I focused on guitar. First blues, then rock, bluegrass including fiddle tunes and extended improvised solos. After a couple years, I focused on fingerstyle completely. After seven years of study, averaging 2 hours a day,
I realized I'd learned all I want to learn on guitar. Next step was playing in a band or jazz.

Not interested in playing guitar in bands, or jazz, I remembered I;d always had an interest in the piano, figured I'd learn it in
retirement. Lets say, I started "early"

Now, with a year and a few months in, I put together a piano solo cd for friends and family for Christmas, with some good reviews.
I am interested and play popular music, classic rock, boogie etc I've started on a bit of classical, some polkas and other things that catch my ear.
I wish I would have started years ago, as what I was playing fingerstyle on guitar, is basically solo piano style.

I am a musician. My passion for music remains the same, only the instruments change. (But of course, I have a day job)

Last edited by Bobby Badd; 01/12/18 05:31 PM.
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2704580
01/13/18 12:43 PM
01/13/18 12:43 PM
North West Englandshire
S
StooXex Offline
StooXex  Offline
S

North West Englandshire
It's to do something with the odd shaped playstation stand.

Or, it's because I always enjoyed music, and fancy the challenge of learning to play the piano properly rather than the bodge that I usually use.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2704617
01/13/18 03:00 PM
01/13/18 03:00 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
500 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
500 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
I have always loved the sound of the piano and how the piano is the most expressive instrument (to me), and versatile.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: dogperson] #2709436
01/28/18 11:37 AM
01/28/18 11:37 AM
M
modean987 Offline
modean987  Offline
M

Originally Posted by dogperson
... and filling the hours with trying to regain what was lost over the decades.

That sums it up for me.

I put the blonde Strat away several years ago. I spent decades playing it, was quite good on it, but never really got to know it.

Late last year I decided I wanted to learn how to play the piano, an instrument that's always fascinated me. I purchased a Roland FA-70 (space constraints) and since then, I've been trying to "fill the hours regaining what was lost over the decades," ...and loving every single moment with it.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2709686
01/29/18 04:51 AM
01/29/18 04:51 AM
London, UK
K
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
kevinb  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

London, UK
I play the piano because I like the satisfaction I get from performing with other musicians. Everything else I do with the piano is focused on being able to do that. I also sing with a performing choir, and I dabble with other instruments.

I don't perform much these days because I have too many other things going on. In addition, the kind of music I like these days requires far more technical skill than I have, to perform adequately. I'm working on it. Maybe one day.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2716523
02/22/18 09:06 PM
02/22/18 09:06 PM
PA
puremusic Offline
puremusic  Offline

PA
I play it for fun as a hobby. I picked up only just a year ago. I wanted some wholesome way to spend my time, that was creative and would not require a lot of effort. That's what is to me, wonderfully relaxing hobby, even now as I put in more effort.

It turned out to be just the thing for me. I had not realized ahead of time how much I would enjoy it.

Now I know why there used to be a piano in every home that served as the family entertainment center. It's a sad thing that TV replaced it, you simply can't compare the two. One benefits the mind and health and body and brings the family together, the other turns people into spoiled couch potatoes.

I use a DAW and work with samples a lot, and that's another fun part of the hobby. I get to play some really stellar sounding instruments of all kinds, for far less expense than it would take to actually own and buy and learn to play one. Or several, after all I bought a whole sampled orchestra and it sounds absolutely priceless.

God is good.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2723418
03/22/18 07:13 AM
03/22/18 07:13 AM
T
Therander Offline
Therander  Offline
T

Piano is my everything. Playing piano is my way of expressing my thoughts and emotions.

Last edited by Therander; 03/22/18 07:13 AM.
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2723443
03/22/18 09:30 AM
03/22/18 09:30 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
It's hard to say exactlywhy I play Piano. I started to play less than three months ago and the answer then would have been 'just to see if I can, and purely for fun'. But it is still early days and the reasons I keep playing are constantly changing and deepening and that answer wouldn't be honest any more.

Back when I was a child musical instruments and learning to play were essentially a province just of the wealthy and didn't even come up for consideration. My wife however used to play as a child and asked for a keyboard at Christmas so, at the perhaps somewhat late starting age of 60, having never played an instrument or had a lesson in my life, I've started playing as well. Just casually. 'Several times a day if I can' type casually :-)

My ambitions and expectations were exceedingly low, simply enjoying playing and being able to knock out a recognisable tune would have done. However those ambitions are rising at a frightening yet exciting rate, as also does the importance of playing. It has already been worthwhile, not just in what I can play but for how much more I appreciate the music I hear. Even for the way these stiff old fingers have loosened up and come alive, they feel 40 years younger, as in some ways do I.

Last edited by gwing; 03/22/18 09:33 AM.
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2727440
04/08/18 10:45 AM
04/08/18 10:45 AM
Orlando, Fl
Erkti Offline
Erkti  Offline

Orlando, Fl
A musician gifted me a piano of his, or a keyboard, that he was not using anymore, and that started me on my path to piano playing. I play to entertain. I love showing off for crowds, and i LOVE astounding people, which is why I learn mostly show off pieces. Needless to say, I still love the instrument, and I love playing the pieces I know, but I don't think I'd play piano if I couldn't play for others.

Repertoire:

Beethoven - Sonata No.7 Op.10 No. 3
Liszt - Liebestraum No. 3
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu
Chopin - Waltz Op. 70 No. 1
Chopin - Waltz Op. 64 No. 1
Beethoven - Concerto No. 5
Mozart - Turkish March

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2727505
04/08/18 04:15 PM
04/08/18 04:15 PM
M
Micael K. Offline
Micael K.  Offline
M

When I was young I was playing to play fast and loud. Today, I play for the two people who encouraged me the most when I was young. Unfortunately, they aren't in this world anymore but I like to think that they can still hear me play.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2727956
04/10/18 01:33 PM
04/10/18 01:33 PM
clennox Offline
clennox  Offline

I play piano because as a child I absolutely loved music, but I hated sports. My parents wanted me to do -something- in the way of an extracurricular 'cause I was incredibly hyperactive, but nothing stuck for me. Piano was at least bearable so I went with that.

When I realized around high school that I could connect the music I loved to the instrument I was forced to learn, everything changed.

I developed a passion for it, playing my favorite songs and challenging myself.

Eventually I went to college for it and now I'm a piano teacher smile

Life has so many strange twists and turns doesn't it?

Wanna know how you can do those "mysterious" things like: improvising, writing your own pieces, or playing by ear with no sheet music?

Check out my "language of music" video which will lay the foundation and reveal the answers:

https://clennox0427.clickfunnels.com/piano-with-corey
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2736585
05/14/18 10:08 PM
05/14/18 10:08 PM
New York, NY
K
Kenji13 Offline
Kenji13  Offline
K

New York, NY
My primary instrument is a classical guitar, but I love playing the piano. I decided to learn to play the piano when I listened to the recording Horowitz playing "Pathetique" by Beethoven. Nobody in my family played piano nor any instrument, but I was so lucky that I found the CD. I was 16 year old and I was just impressed the sound and texture of the music. Since then, I am enjoying this beautiful instrument!

"Men can do all things if they will" ...Kenji...
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2736593
05/14/18 10:16 PM
05/14/18 10:16 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level

Florida
Kenji that piece certainly is excellent! Good one to hook you, certainly. I hope to play it one day. Classical guitar is awesome too, of course! Welcome to the forum.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 20, Posthumous, in C-Sharp Minor
Pachelbel Canon in D
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: cmb13] #2736989
05/15/18 11:17 PM
05/15/18 11:17 PM
New York, NY
K
Kenji13 Offline
Kenji13  Offline
K

New York, NY
Thank you so much, cmb13!

"Men can do all things if they will" ...Kenji...
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disgusted with iTunes. Suggestions for iPhone?
by gooddog. 10/23/18 01:01 AM
Whaletone
by Tyrone Slothrop. 10/23/18 12:36 AM
What do you use to hold loose sheet music up?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 10/23/18 12:22 AM
Bechstein A190
by Bingo55. 10/22/18 11:32 PM
Key Action Roland FP-30 vs Kawai es110
by donfelipes. 10/22/18 10:57 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,944
Posts2,754,846
Members91,316
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission