Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Hand Crafted Key Holder
Made From Real Piano Keys
By our resident crafter Kathy, right here at Piano World headquarters in Maine.

Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
97 registered members (accordeur, Alex_, Aaron W, 7uturu, almo82, 29 invisible), 861 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? #2704521
01/13/18 09:17 AM
01/13/18 09:17 AM
O
olivier du nord Offline OP
olivier du nord  Offline OP
O
First, sorry for my possible bad english : I'm french, and as many french, I have a strange english accent (some english girl find it romantic), and a globish way of speaking ... I hope I will make myself understood)

I decided to create a new thread on this very topic : "boxy" sound or not, concerning Kawai CA98.
This issue has been tackled in another thread, but I think it shound be interesting to gather all information on this topic in a single place.

The story :
I would like to replace my old (rest in peace !) Yamaha CLP 170.
A wonderful, but almost senile (2002 !), instrument, with broad sound, except for a famous vice in the key action (the keys break one after another after 10 years).
I've tried 3 top level models :
- Yamaha CLP 685
- Roland LX 17
- Kawai CA 98
The Yamaha has a good a powerful sound, but sometimes, a bit "speakerish" sound (You know the sound come from speaker in front of you). The problem is the action, with a kind of threshold you must achieve with the force in your finger for the key to begin moving. Very strange. Too strange.
The Roland has a good speaker system, but the sound is too strange for me : interesting and "living" but not realy like a real piano.
All my hopes were in the Kawai. Potentialy, everything was OK for a wonderfull experience : new speaker system, new multichanel recording, new sound engine, new soundboard transducteur, etc, etc.
Very hard to find in France (especially in Lille), I went to Paris to try one.
And then ... TOTAL DESILLUSION ...
Tyr described this in such a perfect way that I quote him :
a ghettoblaster thrown in a wooden box

It was like all the sounds were mixed, with no possibility to distinguish the notes played, a kind of "soup of sounds", especially in the mediums. The bass and trebles were better, though. Each individual notes was quite good, but the issue comes when you play many notes together, the overall sound is indistinguishable.
It is a phenomenon different from the resonnance modelling. I rekognized very well the resonnance of the Pianist Mode, which add a kind of blurriness and reverberation in the sound, which is great, but it is not this I heard : I really speak about the sound reproduction : like if there was only 1 speaker who suffered with too much sound and who mixed everything with no details at all at the end. Like if I had coton in my ears.
I asked the salesman to play, and I moved around the instrument, close to it, far away, in every angles.
The boxy sound came clearly from the midrange speakers placed on top of the instrument. The tweeter in front were great, and the soundboard too with nice vibrations.
How is it possible ?
My desillusion comes because, on youtube, where the sound is recorded through the internal recorder, this Kawai sounds so great ! I love it, It is wonderfull, I can recognize it immediately in blind test when compared with Yahama CLP, Roland and Casio.
I like the action very much too, the best I've tried : I want it, really.

In the shop, I tried different things :
- move the instrument away from the wall (it was against a wall) : no difference
- change the WallEQ setting : better with Wall EQ ON (OFF by default when you switch on ...)
- change the EQ, the brightness etc. : no difference
- change volume level : the sound was much better with higher volume, less boxy, more clear and opened, but more "speakerish", less natural.
With headphone, the sound is very great (you need very good headphone, though)
- I tried a Yamaha N1 just nearby (more expensive, I admit) : the sound was too puchy for my taste, but so ooopened, so broooooad, so cleeeeear, I cound hear all the strings like in front of an opened grand piano.

So I really think this comes from the speaker system who seems to be of bad quality or badly tuned (?)
Maybe the intrument was in a bad position in the room ?

The intrument I played was in 1.0.0 system version, so with no update.
May be the EQ update improve this issue ??

So I have many questions :
- did someone try both firmware version (with and without EQ update) : was there a difference in speaker sound reproduction ?
- is Kawai aware of this particularity of this instrument, which can make many buyers leave this model, or leave this brand ?

I would really like to love this instrument : I like the action, I like the samples, I like the concept of the soundboard (the fact to put some "real" elements in this virtual world of digital piano) but I don't like the speaker system.

I'm waiting for CS 12, I dont know when it will be announced.

Thanks in advance for your help, and your advices, I am totally lost ... :-(

Olivier

Last edited by olivier du nord; 01/13/18 09:32 AM.

old Yamaha CLP 170, and looking for a new DP !
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2704527
01/13/18 09:46 AM
01/13/18 09:46 AM
France
C
Cosi Offline
Cosi  Offline
C
France
I tried a Kawai CA97 at "La maison du Piano" in Lille few months ago, and I had the same impression : a blurry, muffled sound. In my opinion this is the way they sound, not an hardware or factory issue or whatever.

Last edited by Cosi; 01/13/18 09:52 AM.
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: Cosi] #2704535
01/13/18 10:16 AM
01/13/18 10:16 AM
O
O
I was in this very nice shop yesterday, talked a bit with the boss. He had the same impression with a CA 78 (I think).
However, he said that people who own a Kawai, very often, love it afterall.
I think that in fact, the sound is strange, but when you are used to it, you finish by loving it : like a new kind of intrument : not a real piano, but a real instrument.

My question is more about : why is this intrument sounding so much different with speaker than with headphone ? If they want to make a blurry sound, why only with speakers ? So for me, it looks like it is not deliberate but a speaker limitation.
This shop will have a CA 98 soon, I will try it again, so with different room configuration ...

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2704610
01/13/18 02:39 PM
01/13/18 02:39 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
UK
Originally Posted by olivier du nord

My question is more about : why is this intrument sounding so much different with speaker than with headphone ? If they want to make a blurry sound, why only with speakers ? So for me, it looks like it is not deliberate but a speaker limitation.
This shop will have a CA 98 soon, I will try it again, so with different room configuration ...

Something to consider, I am no sound engineer or expert, and have not tried these model myself ... as yet, but here it goes anyway.

With headphones you will get the "perfect" stereo image free of room effects, a simple configuration for L/R output resulting from a multi sampling input to give you an intended result.

Onto the speakers, now you have 4 speakers coming out the top, 2 in front, and a soundboard, the imaging or spatial projection will have to be produced be the speaker configuration giving it some sense of space, i.e. where are sounds are coming from. Presumably there are cross over frequencies and it may that there is some overlap in some frequency ranges, who knows, anyway, It all sounds very complicated to me. Interestingly, the later models got rid of the speaker grills at the front ,but instead we have a small gap at the top which may well make some of the projection worse for those frequencies ( I suspect), but that's another matter. Dropping the grills makes the cabinet look somewhat nicer though smile

It would not be too surprising to me that in combination with in a real room, you are going to get a very complex sound field, with all manners of constructive/destructive interference happening, playing havoc with the actual sound projection before we even worry about complicated multi channel sampling input, it may will give you a sense of sound projection that is confusing your ears. My suspicion ... you are perhaps sensitive to it ... and not liking it.

I always find consoles boxed in sounding, some to do a better job than others ( IMHO Roland LX17 leads the field in that department) but mostly, to me, it's as if the sound is too contained for me personally, lacking a well defined spatial component also. I am more of a fan of the simple stereo field solution with monitors at ear height, simple, but effective, it projects well, and you know what you are dealing with, and it is much simpler to deal with the room.

There are reasons sound engineers mix this way and not complicate matters. Noone would put their speaker facing upwards and expect to get a decent stereo image for example, though it would work to some degree, a lot of imaging is lost that way, things get very complicated, and then having to worry about your sampling with multi mics ....

Perhaps they are trying to be too fancy for their own good sometimes ... in some respects.

Personally I have liked what I heard of the multi channel sampling over headphones or monitors in demos, I have no idea, not having tried them how well Kawai paid attention to the interaction of such a complex input model with a multi speaker output. It sounds like a hugely complicated task .. to me.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Casio AP450 & software.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705007
01/15/18 03:31 AM
01/15/18 03:31 AM
T
Tommy S Offline
Tommy S  Offline
T
I'm about a month into my CA98, and really enjoy the sound. Although at first, I was a little disconcerted about Pianist Mode, generally preferring the Sound Mode initially. However, I found that I needed to work on Pianist Mode EQ via the User Tone Control in Sound Settings. Not sure if this was where you made the adjustment to EQ when you adjusted the CA98 you tried.

That made a big improvement in the sound. For me, I widened the frequency range in the Mid-Bands (there are two adjustments you can make with Mid-Low and Mid-High Frequency Range), then lowered that new range Decibel level. That really took out the "boominess/boxy" sound, and made a much clearer sound. I have two Pianist Mode models I saved, one uses the Normal Voicing (set in Virtual Technician) and the other uses Bright2 Voicing. I'm quite pleased with those models and the Normal Voicing is my default.

I had both the V1.0.1 and upgraded to the V1.0.2. Can't really tell much difference on the EQ between the two. Just know for my ears, I needed to make some tweaks to the Pianist Mode to make it really usable for me.

On a side note, I recently tried the Garritan CFX Lite engine using the Line In on the CA98. Now I'm a bit conflicted, since it sounds really pretty amazing. :-) Just started experimenting with that, I'd say that Pianist Mode is in the same league as Garritan CFX IMHO, but I didn't really tweak the CFX Lite yet. I'm sure there's more potential But with the CA98 keyboard action and sound system, the CFX Lite is a real joy to play.

Good luck, and I'd say don't give up on the CA98. With a small amount of effort, you can get a great sound.

Kawai CA98 / Behringer Deepmind 12
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: Tommy S] #2705011
01/15/18 03:56 AM
01/15/18 03:56 AM
O
O
Tommy,
Thanks for your answer.
So I will wait for this (wonderful) shop "La maison du Piano" to get one CA98, and take the time to adjust the sound, as you mentioned.
When I tried the CA98 in Paris, there was a lot of climatisation noise (in winter, yes !) in the shop, which did not help me to analyse the sound.

I still think that even if it is not like a real pinao, when you are used to your instrument, you can love it. For instance, I'm used to my oooold CLP 170, even it is very far from a real piano (the sound is not very rich, the dynamic is low) but i'm used to it, and the 8 speakers configuration is a wonder.

Olivier

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705022
01/15/18 05:31 AM
01/15/18 05:31 AM
Sydney,NSW,Australia
U
USSOWT Offline
USSOWT  Offline
U
Sydney,NSW,Australia
This place starts to look like Kawai’s official forum.

Kawai CA67/Ivory 2 Grand Piano
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705025
01/15/18 05:51 AM
01/15/18 05:51 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
C
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Sofia, Bulgaria
It’s simply because Kawai arguably provide more bang for the buck compared to current offerings from other manufacturers.

Soundcloud Profile - solo piano compositions, arrangements, reharms
Currently: Kawai ES7 -> Garritan CFX
Previously: Kawai MP6, Kawai CA63, Roland RD-700SX, Roland FP-5, Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: USSOWT] #2705027
01/15/18 05:55 AM
01/15/18 05:55 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Northern England.
Originally Posted by USSOWT
This place starts to look like Kawai’s official forum.

Aye, lad. And Kawai acoustics sound even better. No Piano Mode or Sound mode to worry about. One sound! Wonderful.

AND if you get the silent version, you get a decent digital in a little box to the left, underneath.
With all the variables . . . . .

Last edited by peterws; 01/15/18 05:56 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705028
01/15/18 05:59 AM
01/15/18 05:59 AM
Sydney,NSW,Australia
U
USSOWT Offline
USSOWT  Offline
U
Sydney,NSW,Australia
I am a Kawai user too, only curious why there are so many kawai posts here.

BTW I think Kawai and Roland are both good choices.

Kawai CA67/Ivory 2 Grand Piano
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: USSOWT] #2705031
01/15/18 06:26 AM
01/15/18 06:26 AM
O
O
There was a lot of Yamaha post when they released the new new 6xx serie.
The fact is that the CA x8 has just been released and many people have just tried it and want to share their impression.

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705032
01/15/18 06:28 AM
01/15/18 06:28 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
North Carolina
The board seems to go in cycles. Years ago all the talk was Yamaha and Roland. More Yamaha, but both were prevalent. And Kawai was little spoken of.

Perhaps that's because they were so hard to find. I was looking for a Kawai piano ten years ago. I had a Kawai acoustic ... a full-size 50" upright, and I wanted to look at their digitals. I couldn't find a shop that stocked any Kawais, and I didn't like the Roland HP-series. (That was before the age of super-natural.) So I bought a Yamaha.

That was in South Florida. I don't know what is available there today, but I'm now in Raleigh, NC and Kawais are easy to find. The local Maus Piano shop had a wide variety when I visited late in 2016. But that was long before the CA98 came on the market. I'll have to go back there one of these days to see the new pianos.

Perhaps Kawai has improved their distribution channels? Perhaps it's because they've introduced some real improvements in the action? Perhaps it's because they've filled a need with that VPC model? In any case I'm strongly inclined to make Kawai my next piano.

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: MacMacMac] #2705058
01/15/18 10:40 AM
01/15/18 10:40 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Northern England.
Me too. I'm just waiting for that VPC-2 and that lovely GF compact . . . . you lot need to try that out. It's good.

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: CyberGene] #2705093
01/15/18 12:12 PM
01/15/18 12:12 PM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Portland, OR, USA
Originally Posted by CyberGene
It’s simply because Kawai arguably provide more bang for the buck compared to current offerings from other manufacturers.

+1. I agree with this - and the fact that they just released a lot of new models makes for all the Kawai-chatter here.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai CA-67 + Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705137
01/15/18 02:11 PM
01/15/18 02:11 PM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Kitsap County, WA
I'll add that having Kawai James, an official company rep, frequent the forums with honest and useful information, creates a lot of good will and gets people enthusiastic about their products which causes engaged discussions. It's also easier to talk about the Kawai's in some respects as they are very open about their development, versus for example, Yamaha which we still don't know what the GT action looks like (and sorry no, I'm not ready to open mine up smile )

Yamaha CLP-685, Kawai ES110
Pieces In Progress:
  • Chopin Mazurka in B flat Major Op 7 (spring recital)
  • Beethoven Easy Sonata 20 No 2 (working)
  • Schumann Fantasy Dance Op 124 No 5 (just starting)
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705199
01/15/18 04:32 PM
01/15/18 04:32 PM
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T
Germany
In the high-end trim level Yamaha had a dominating position for several years. Kawai is doing things right to grab a good chunk of the cake. Roland is catching up too since the newer versions of sound modeling. This is a good thing because it will shaking the market up and Yamaha has to deal with its competitors.

It's also a good thing that the DPs differ from one to another which gives us the opportunity to choose what we like instead of dealing with the same thing in a different look.

Last edited by Tyr; 01/15/18 04:35 PM.

Current: Yamaha CLP-685PE
Next: Kawai Novus NV10 - Coming soon...
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705327
01/16/18 01:29 AM
01/16/18 01:29 AM
T
Tommy S Offline
Tommy S  Offline
T
Tommy,
Thanks for your answer.
So I will wait for this (wonderful) shop "La maison du Piano" to get one CA98, and take the time to adjust the sound, as you mentioned.
When I tried the CA98 in Paris, there was a lot of climatisation noise (in winter, yes !) in the shop, which did not help me to analyse the sound.

I still think that even if it is not like a real pinao, when you are used to your instrument, you can love it. For instance, I'm used to my oooold CLP 170, even it is very far from a real piano (the sound is not very rich, the dynamic is low) but i'm used to it, and the 8 speakers configuration is a wonder.

Olivier

I think there's a lot to be said for "bonding" with whatever piano you have. I had a decent Yamaha Arius (see, not all Kawai only posts. :-) ) that I really enjoyed until I got the CA98. And it took a few weeks to really get tuned into the sound and overall personality of the piano. Of course, I fell in love with the action immediately!

Who knows, maybe the more metaphysical folks here would say the instrument chooses you. :-)

Good luck with your piano search, Olivier. On a side note, I fell in love with all that a keyboard has to offer when I heard Olivier Latry at the Cathedral of Notre Dame about 10 years ago. An amazing moment! I believe he's has a performance there this March, be well worth seeing.

Tom

Kawai CA98 / Behringer Deepmind 12
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: Tommy S] #2705374
01/16/18 08:58 AM
01/16/18 08:58 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Portugal
Originally Posted by Tommy S
I had a decent Yamaha Arius (see, not all Kawai only posts. :-) ) that I really enjoyed until I got the CA98. And it took a few weeks to really get tuned into the sound and overall personality of the piano. Of course, I fell in love with the action immediately....

Well that was a valiant effort but not entirely successful ;-)

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symphonic Orchestra & Choirs / Sample Mod, Trumpet 3 / Garritan CFX lite / Imperfect Samples Steinway / Production Grand C7 compact
Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705378
01/16/18 09:04 AM
01/16/18 09:04 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

I've tried 3 top level models :
- Yamaha CLP 685
- Roland LX 17
- Kawai CA 98
Olivier

Salut Olivier,

I was recently in the market for a new DP, and tried all the models above. Like you, I found the CLP action too weird (there is a 'notch' you have to push past to get the keys moving). I liked the LX17, but found the action too light, and the sound a little 'electronic'.

My favourite was the CA98, and I initially decided to buy it, but... The longer I played it, the less I liked it. It's hard to describe why, except that I became more and more aware that I was playing a digital piano, rather than an acoustic. Of course that's inevitable to a point, but I didn't feel happy spending so much money on something that wasn't close enough to the real thing.

However, in the same showroom was a Yamaha NU1X. I wasn't that impressed initially - the key action felt a little abrupt and clunky, but the more I played it the more I liked it. After a point, I forgot that this was a digital piano, and just wanted to play it more and more - especially through headphones, where the sound was amazing.

I ended up buying it, and after a month, I am very happy with it. Please, if you get a chance, do try one of these instruments, as I think you will be impressed.

However, one huge point to be aware of... The phantom loud note. This is covered elsewhere in these forums, but there is an issue with the NU action in that occasionally a soft note gets processed as a very loud one, which can be very disconcerting. The issue varies from instrument to instrument I believe, but it can be a show-stopper.

Anyway, bonne chance with your piano hunting, let us know what you end up buying!

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705384
01/16/18 09:30 AM
01/16/18 09:30 AM
O
O
Hi
I've not tried the NU1X but only the NU1.
I remember, the first time I hit a key with my finger, I was so surprised to feel the same impression as I was learning piano at home (when I was young), really different than other DP, that my brain really buggued : I was convinced it was a real upright piano, and I remember looking to the floor if there was an electric coord somewhere. Nice memory ...

May be I need to try a NU1X. I found one at 4800€, which become to be a bit expensive for me. And it is heavy, and can not be take to pieces (like the CA98 ...), and complex to move in another house because of the action which I imagine to be fragile etc.
I really need to try it.
But I need to go back to Paris because there is no shop in my town (Lille, France) where I can try one :-(

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705391
01/16/18 09:50 AM
01/16/18 09:50 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M
Hi Olivier, please do try it again if you possibly can - I think you will really like it, it's an extraordinary instrument in many ways... (And massively flawed in one aspect!)

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705405
01/16/18 10:40 AM
01/16/18 10:40 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Germany
Some Tuesday afternoon musings:

Whenever this "is the Kawai sound boxy/subdued/muffled?" topic comes up (which it regularly does, I remember it for the CA67/97 back then, and now here it is again for the CA78/98), I noticed - in a totally unscientific and most likely statistically not representative way - that often the people who perceive the Kawai sound in this manner end up buying (or at least preferring) a Yamaha digital piano (or a Yamaha VST, like Garritan CFX).

It leaves me wondering if this isn't simply because of "trained expectations". I.e. that some people have simply been trained, by the prevalence of Yamaha in the DP market (this forum notwithstanding), to equate the Yamaha DP sound with the correct piano sound. And if they hear a digital piano sound with a different character, they instinctively assume that the sound must be wrong somehow. Either at the source (bad sampling/sound engine), or because of bad sound reproduction (muffled speakers and whatnot).

Even going so far as to speculate, that the reason why other people like the sound, is that these other people have in turn trained them to love the sound, in spite of it being so obviously wrong. Recently here in this thread, I was amused to read that this speculation even went so far as to suggest, that those people learned to love their "strange" piano as a "new" instrument that is "not a real piano":
I think that in fact, the sound is strange, but when you are used to it, you finish by loving it : like a new kind of intrument : not a real piano, but a real instrument.

In my opinion, there's no such thing as the real piano sound. Even acoustic pianos have very different sounds, and yes, not all of them sound like Yamaha's digital pianos. smile

[And yes, I see the irony in this mutual assumption of "training oneself", where I assume that they have been trained to assume Yamaha's sound as the only real piano sound, while they assume that I (and others) have been trained to accept the Kawai sound even though it is "strange". Well. Don't take this too seriously. As I said: Just some unscientific musings...]

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705407
01/16/18 10:52 AM
01/16/18 10:52 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Northern England.
Hi
I remember, the first time I hit a key with my finger, I was so surprised to feel the same impression as I was learning piano at home (when I was young), really different than other DP, that my brain really buggued : I was convinced it was a real upright piano, and I remember looking to the floor if there was an electric coord somewhere. Nice memory ...

:-(

My thoughts exactly. I fell in love with that piano; the sound and action seemed to have all the imperfections of an acoustic. It even sounded out of tune, but that might have been my imagination. I enjoyed the experience of playing it briefly. A sort of one night stand . . .
It was quite a hard tone, if I remember, in the treble range which equates pretty well to some Yamaha acoustics I've tried.
The Kawai acoustics (k200, 300, GS10 grand) were much nicer imo. But the larger digitals were too powerful and bass heavy for me and my little room. CA17 was good but sadly . . . .no more!

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705410
01/16/18 11:09 AM
01/16/18 11:09 AM
O
O
JoBert,

I agree many people are used to Yamaha digital sound. I am one of these people since I've been playing a CLP for 15 years.
But I have also played many real pianos as well, and agree this Yamaha sound is one sound among others.

But,
In fact I don't say CA98 has a "wrong sound", as you say ("contrary to Yamaha which would be THE real one ..."), I just say that the sound in speaker mode is quite different than the one with headphone one, for the SAME instrument.
On the contrary, the Yamaha, sounds quite the same on speaker and with headphone.
So this "muffled sound" I heard with speaker (don't know which adjective to put on that...) is not a caracteristic of the instrument nor a wish of the manufacturer, but for me it sounds like a mistake, or a bad EQ tuning or whatever.

I don't know if my approximate english let me explain clearly what I want to say ... but I hope you understand what I mean.

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: JoBert] #2705419
01/16/18 11:59 AM
01/16/18 11:59 AM
Zurich
S
Smaug Offline
Smaug  Offline
S
Zurich
Originally Posted by JoBert
...often the people who perceive the Kawai sound in this manner end up buying (or at least preferring) a Yamaha digital piano (or a Yamaha VST, like Garritan CFX).

I don't think so in my case. I raised the impression of it being boxy in another thread before I had read about anyone else calling it so. I have never owned a Yamaha DP. I come from playing a Kawai MP8 with Vintage D.

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705422
01/16/18 12:08 PM
01/16/18 12:08 PM
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T
Germany
And it is heavy, and can not be take to pieces (like the CA98 ...), and complex to move in another house because of the action which I imagine to be fragile etc.

The NU1X is basically the same cabinet like the CLP-685 which comes in parts.

Last edited by Tyr; 01/16/18 12:10 PM.

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: Tyr] #2705497
01/16/18 04:41 PM
01/16/18 04:41 PM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Online content
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
UK
Originally Posted by Tyr
And it is heavy, and can not be take to pieces (like the CA98 ...), and complex to move in another house because of the action which I imagine to be fragile etc.

The NU1X is basically the same cabinet like the CLP-685 which comes in parts.

Hmmm... the NU1 does not come in parts. Looking at photos the NU1X looks pretty much the same as the NU1, so if this is a factor in your buying decision check it for yourself first. I’ve moved houses with the NU1, it’s an easy two person lift if no stairs involved.

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705500
01/16/18 04:46 PM
01/16/18 04:46 PM
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T
Germany
Yes, you are right. There is a slight difference between them.

Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705604
01/17/18 03:29 AM
01/17/18 03:29 AM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Portland, OR, USA
Hi

May be I need to try a NU1X. I found one at 4800€, which become to be a bit expensive for me(

I would suggest to try N1 along with NU1X. N1/N2/N3/N3X have grand acoustic action (where gravity helps the hammer to come down) vs. NU1/NU1X have upright action. So, that is something to keep in mind if your goal is to get 'used to grand acoustic'. I would recommend to do a thorough research on NU1/NU1X lound note defect in this forum before deciding to purchase it.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai CA-67 + Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6
Re: Kawai CA98 : "boxy" sound or not ? [Re: olivier du nord] #2705925
01/18/18 04:54 AM
01/18/18 04:54 AM
C
cocoherz Offline
cocoherz  Offline
C
I'm just wondering if the sound from the 98 is so much different than the sound from the ca 97 or CS11? They all have the soundboard. And so many people are happy with the older models since years, they always have good reviews ...and if Kawai hasn't change anything in the new model for the soundsystem (exept Onkyo), I can't believe that the sound of the 98 is like boxy or like a ghettoblaster. I tried the 98 in a shop, the sound was ok, but I never tried the CS11 or 97 or 95 to compare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
A short film about Jack, part of the PianoCraft family
by Keith D Kerman. 04/21/18 01:55 PM
Can't remove action from gorgeous 1901 Gaveau
by tonyster220763. 04/21/18 01:48 PM
Kawai ES8 vs Yamaha YDP-163
by JoeCB. 04/21/18 01:40 PM
Help/Advice please
by K444HEP. 04/21/18 01:29 PM
Baldwin L twang
by Sanfrancisco. 04/21/18 12:58 PM
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Play Debussy
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics185,161
Posts2,711,614
Members90,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission