Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
91 registered members (accordeur, anotherscott, ando, 33 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Are there any fans of Metallica here? #2704441
01/12/18 10:48 PM
01/12/18 10:48 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
vanyailieva Offline OP
vanyailieva  Offline OP
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hello, everyone. Just wanted to figure it out if there is anyone else who is listening both classical music and metal.

Regards,

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2704445
01/12/18 11:13 PM
01/12/18 11:13 PM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Haha, I saw them 3 times in the 80s and early 90s. I miss those days. I went to a lot of concerts then.

Can't say I listen to them too much today anymore. When I'm not listening to piano music, I like Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Godsmack, Slipknot, etc. Stuff in that genre.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2704458
01/12/18 11:54 PM
01/12/18 11:54 PM
Boise, ID
M
Michael. Offline
Silver Subscriber
Michael.  Offline
Silver Subscriber
M
Boise, ID
Listening to Metallica and classical can end up with unexpected results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIJPxxoF7dw

Mike

Acoustic: Cunningham Parlour Grand
Digital: Kawai ES-8 / Pianoteq 6

Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2704469
01/13/18 01:04 AM
01/13/18 01:04 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
Florida
Yes love her versions! I listen to all of the above. Classic rock, alternative, heavy alternative, techno, shoe gaze, etc. Love it. Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Silversun Pickups, Audioslave, Death Cab... the list goes on. I've always said the only difference between the best rock guitarists and classical pianists are the instruments they use and the generation in which they were born.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Consolidating My Repertoire
Mozart K545
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2704477
01/13/18 02:21 AM
01/13/18 02:21 AM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline
David B  Offline
D
The Sierras
"Take a look to the sky just before you die, it's the last time you will"...drum fill...

Over 20 years ago I used to listen to Metallica. Are they still making albums?

God Bless,
David

Kawai MP-11SE
Macbook Air/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-29 Completed
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2704494
01/13/18 05:04 AM
01/13/18 05:04 AM
S
SuzyUpright Offline
SuzyUpright  Offline
S
I love all their older stuff ( cue intro to The Four Horsemen ), but interested in other directions these days smile

Don't watch their documentary 'Some Kind of Monster" unless you want them completely ruined for you....bunch of whiners!

Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2704502
01/13/18 06:01 AM
01/13/18 06:01 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
vanyailieva Offline OP
vanyailieva  Offline OP
Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Haha, I saw them 3 times in the 80s and early 90s. I miss those days. I went to a lot of concerts then.

Can't say I listen to them too much today anymore. When I'm not listening to piano music, I like Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Godsmack, Slipknot, etc. Stuff in that genre.

I am jealous. If there was any chance to go on their 90s concerts, I definitely would. But I wasn't even born at this time laugh

Jekyll and Hyde is really nice song! Of slipknot I like the most "Before I forget" because it is not so hard . Although I am fan of Corey Tyler.

Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: David B] #2704507
01/13/18 07:58 AM
01/13/18 07:58 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
vanyailieva Offline OP
vanyailieva  Offline OP
Sofia, Bulgaria
Yes, Hardwired is the new one. It came out almost year ago.

Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: cmb13] #2704516
01/13/18 08:44 AM
01/13/18 08:44 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
vanyailieva Offline OP
vanyailieva  Offline OP
Sofia, Bulgaria
True
Originally Posted by cmb13
Yes love her versions! I listen to all of the above. Classic rock, alternative, heavy alternative, techno, shoe gaze, etc. Love it. Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Silversun Pickups, Audioslave, Death Cab... the list goes on. I've always said the only difference between the best rock guitarists and classical pianists are the instruments they use and the generation in which they were born.

Same!

Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2704528
01/13/18 09:47 AM
01/13/18 09:47 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by vanyailieva

I am jealous. If there was any chance to go on their 90s concerts, I definitely would. But I wasn't even born at this time laugh

I graduated HS in 91. School through the 80s and then 8 years of college and grad school through the 90s was a good time laugh Although I did get into some trouble. I think kids had a lot more freedom back then. During late junior high and high school we would loiter all night long in the parking lot of a shopping plaza close to a pizza joint. There would hundreds of us - it was the official hangout of the town. Kids doing what kids do best - getting into trouble! You would never be able to do that today.

The best concert for me hands down though was Pink Floyd, 1994 Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia.

Jekyll and Hyde is really nice song! Of slipknot I like the most "Before I forget" because it is not so hard . Although I am fan of Corey Tyler.

I like their cover of Bad Company. Snuff is probably my favorite from Slipknot. Vkgoeswild has a piano arrangement for it. Would love to try it one day, but until then, I'll just play easier stuff smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2704603
01/13/18 02:23 PM
01/13/18 02:23 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
vanyailieva Offline OP
vanyailieva  Offline OP
Sofia, Bulgaria

I graduated HS in 91. School through the 80s and then 8 years of college and grad school through the 90s was a good time laugh Although I did get into some trouble. I think kids had a lot more freedom back then. During late junior high and high school we would loiter all night long in the parking lot of a shopping plaza close to a pizza joint. There would hundreds of us - it was the official hangout of the town. Kids doing what kids do best - getting into trouble! You would never be able to do that today.

I don't think it was the same in my country. Now there is more freedom than it was in 90s. That's my opinoin and it is based on talks with my parents and grandparents. Their parents were more strict than parents of our generation, and the rules were rigid. However now more of the teenagers are glued to the screen, which is very irritating. So, definitely 20-30 years ago life was funnier without technology. Where are you from?

I tried to learn Nothing else matters on piano, but I need more practice to play it clearly. Do you work on any pieces now?

Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2704612
01/13/18 02:48 PM
01/13/18 02:48 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't think it was the same in my country. Now there is more freedom than it was in 90s. That's my opinoin and it is based on talks with my parents and grandparents. Their parents were more strict than parents of our generation, and the rules were rigid. However now more of the teenagers are glued to the screen, which is very irritating. So, definitely 20-30 years ago life was funnier without technology. Where are you from?

I tried to learn Nothing else matters on piano, but I need more practice to play it clearly. Do you work on any pieces now?

I grew up on the east coast, north of Philadelphia. Hope the Eagles win today, but I'm not feeling it with Foles.

I think life without tech was fun. We had to invent our own stuff to do. Several years I went to my parents place in PA for Christmas. Many of my nieces and nephews were there. It was sad because they all sat there staring at their phones. I mean, they were texting each other and playing Words with Friends. I said you kids need to go outside and cause trouble, haha. Holidays as a kid for me was only being inside to eat. Otherwise, you went outside and did whatever the weather allowed. Then again it was a rural area, so it was easier to do that.

Are you asking if I'm trying to play any metal pieces? I haven't attempted anything by Metallica. I did get Sound of Silence from Vkgoeswild which I started, but put on hold. I'm finishing up Nuvole Bianche which I hope to do for next month's recital. After that, I'll go back to Sound of Silence.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2704626
01/13/18 03:18 PM
01/13/18 03:18 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
vanyailieva Offline OP
vanyailieva  Offline OP
Sofia, Bulgaria

I grew up on the east coast, north of Philadelphia. Hope the Eagles win today, but I'm not feeling it with Foles.

I think life without tech was fun. We had to invent our own stuff to do. Several years I went to my parents place in PA for Christmas. Many of my nieces and nephews were there. It was sad because they all sat there staring at their phones. I mean, they were texting each other and playing Words with Friends. I said you kids need to go outside and cause trouble, haha. Holidays as a kid for me was only being inside to eat. Otherwise, you went outside and did whatever the weather allowed. Then again it was a rural area, so it was easier to do that.

Are you asking if I'm trying to play any metal pieces? I haven't attempted anything by Metallica. I did get Sound of Silence from Vkgoeswild which I started, but put on hold. I'm finishing up Nuvole Bianche which I hope to do for next month's recital. After that, I'll go back to Sound of Silence.

Totally agree with you.

No, am asking in general. I am learning Fibich Poem and one Sonatina.

Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2704797
01/14/18 12:34 PM
01/14/18 12:34 PM
Casio Keyboard
B
Brocolli Offline
Brocolli  Offline
B
Casio Keyboard
I used to be but got tired of it after listening for a while and getting into more complex music it doesn't satisfy me anymore, although I'm still in a metallica cover band

Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: Brocolli] #2704876
01/14/18 04:14 PM
01/14/18 04:14 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
vanyailieva Offline OP
vanyailieva  Offline OP
Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Brocolli
I used to be but got tired of it after listening for a while and getting into more complex music it doesn't satisfy me anymore, although I'm still in a metallica cover band

You play the guitar? Or drums? I like that their songs' texts are meaningful. Also James' voice is so nice. Hes is one of my favourite vocalists as well as Corey Tyler (and Ed Sheeran despite the fact that he sings in another genre).

Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2705043
01/15/18 08:32 AM
01/15/18 08:32 AM
P
PianoStartsAt33 Offline
PianoStartsAt33  Offline
P
I was their fan 15-20 years ago)) Now it's just one of many favourite metal bands for me))

"No succes of failure matters when it's about true vocation". Nicolás Gómez Dávila

YoutubeChannel
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2705143
01/15/18 02:18 PM
01/15/18 02:18 PM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Kitsap County, WA
As a "wanna be stoner" kid growing up in the east bay in California, I was pretty much destined to be a Metallica fan. Saw them live at Day on the Green 1991 along with Queensryche, Soundgarden and Faith No More. Crazy concert, I remember at some point people were tearing the sod up and throwing it in the air, and then eventually at other people and a few people left in ambulances. I got pissed at them about their stance on streaming and didn't listen for a while. But my 10 year old son loves them now so I listen occasionally. Just the older stuff.

Currently learning: Beethoven "Easy" Sonata Op 49 No 2, Clementi Sonatina Op 36 No 1
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: squidbot] #2705145
01/15/18 02:26 PM
01/15/18 02:26 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
Florida
Originally Posted by squidbot
As a "wanna be stoner" kid growing up in the east bay in California, I was pretty much destined to be a Metallica fan. Saw them live at Day on the Green 1991 along with Queensryche, Soundgarden and Faith No More. Crazy concert, I remember at some point people were tearing the sod up and throwing it in the air, and then eventually at other people and a few people left in ambulances. I got pissed at them about their stance on streaming and didn't listen for a while. But my 10 year old son loves them now so I listen occasionally. Just the older stuff.

Ah those were the days! My wife likes to say she saw Collective Soul three times - once at Woodstock 91, once in NYC, and once eating lunch at at Taco Bell in Stockbridge, GA! lol Since then we saw them in FL a few times; one of my favorite alt rock bands. We also saw Live. Never got to RHCP but there's still time.

RIP Dolores O Riordann

Last edited by cmb13; 01/15/18 02:27 PM.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Consolidating My Repertoire
Mozart K545
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: squidbot] #2705528
01/16/18 07:04 PM
01/16/18 07:04 PM
Phoenix
tbonesays Offline
tbonesays  Offline
Phoenix
Metallica was my favorite music in high school but now they are too hard for a softy like me. I really admired how they did their own distinct kind of alternative instead of just imitating the burnt groaning typical of many Nirvana imitators. But it was a watershed moment when youtube was invented in my late 20s and I found myself playing previously ignored Natalie Merchant, instead of what I liked in high school. Nowadays I only occasionally play their mellow tunes from Load or their symphony concert.

Originally Posted by squidbot

Kid is wise beyond his years.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: tbonesays] #2705611
01/17/18 03:50 AM
01/17/18 03:50 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
vanyailieva Offline OP
vanyailieva  Offline OP
Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by tbonesays
Metallica was my favorite music in high school but now they are too hard for a softy like me.

The first time I heard Metallica's song it was a totally hardcore for me. I couldn't understand how people like music like that. But I slightly turn into their fan. Even now I am listening harder songs than Metallica's ones. I think that hearing a song just once is not enough to find the beautiful things in guitar solos and riffs. It is only natural if one doesn't like this kind of music the first time he/she hears it. Do you agree?

Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2705671
01/17/18 08:52 AM
01/17/18 08:52 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I do like Symphony of Metallica (S&M), performed live with San Francisco Orchestra. Perhaps I'll listen to that on Google Play today smile I haven't listened to the Call of Ktula in a while.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2705886
01/17/18 11:34 PM
01/17/18 11:34 PM
Reno, Nevada
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member
JeanieA  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Reno, Nevada
I like a good bit of it - including some of the "covers" by others, such as Apocalyptica. Heavy metal cello? Oh yes. . .

Collector of sheet music I can't play.
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2706196
01/18/18 07:02 PM
01/18/18 07:02 PM
Phoenix
tbonesays Offline
tbonesays  Offline
Phoenix
The first time I heard Metallica's song it was a totally hardcore for me. I couldn't understand how people like music like that. But I slightly turn into their fan. Even now I am listening harder songs than Metallica's ones. I think that hearing a song just once is not enough to find the beautiful things in guitar solos and riffs. It is only natural if one doesn't like this kind of music the first time he/she hears it. Do you agree?

Manuel Noriega might..

Last edited by tbonesays; 01/18/18 07:02 PM.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: vanyailieva] #2706267
01/18/18 11:08 PM
01/18/18 11:08 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Union SC
I still dig em and hitting on 50

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Re: Are there any fans of Metallica here? [Re: tbonesays] #2706312
01/19/18 02:55 AM
01/19/18 02:55 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
vanyailieva Offline OP
vanyailieva  Offline OP
Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by tbonesays

Manuel Noriega might..

Daamn!

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mozart Piano Concerto N°4 - 3rd Mouvement
by kenyoux. 07/20/18 03:49 AM
What Glue to Use to Replace Damper Felts?
by SLT16. 07/20/18 02:59 AM
Pianos at PTG and NAMM Conventions
by Grandman. 07/19/18 06:23 PM
What Is My Roland RD-600 Worth?
by AnalogJeff. 07/19/18 04:35 PM
Easy Debussy
by BbAltered. 07/19/18 03:54 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,500
Posts2,733,024
Members90,598
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission