Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
85 registered members (Bellyman, allegro_concerto, anotherscott, 28 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How do you manage your practice time? #2704228
01/12/18 11:20 AM
01/12/18 11:20 AM
Netherlands
H
hyena Offline OP
hyena  Offline OP
H
Netherlands
So, now I've several things I want to get done a day. Though, I think it's a little too much sometimes. A normal week days I practice 3 hours with maybe a 15 min brake.

- First I do a 10 min warmup, some scales, hanon, etc.

- Then maybe 20 min sightreading (Several different pieces, usually short minuets, etc)

After this I don't really keep time...

- I start with Heller Etude op. 45 no 9 (Practicing one page, I try to keep to about 10 bars)

- Debussy Doctor Gradus, trying to get everything even

- Haydn Sonata Hob. XVI / 35, First I play through the first page a few times, trying to keep it polished. Then the second page I practice the rhythm, then the third page I try to learn the new notes. I'm still a bad reader, thus it takes some effort. If I can play it, usually I can also play it from memory, but I've noticed that some pieces I can only play with a sheet, so that's very positive, since that means I'm starting to rely on reading more.

- Bach invention no.4, practicing 18 bars.

- Gymnopedie no 1, my teacher gave me this so we can work on expression a lot more.

- Then usually practicing some improvising, to try and practice voice leading.

So as you can see it's rather chaotic. I'd love to see your routines, so that I might do things a little more efficiently. I don't really have time to practice old pieces, but I also want to keep my old pieces polished. Especially with classical style pieces, I notice that I start losing the evenness over time.

Last edited by hyena; 01/12/18 11:23 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2704273
01/12/18 01:28 PM
01/12/18 01:28 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Midwest USA
I would be exhausted practicing for three hours with only one 15-minute break. If you really don't take more breaks, you should. It would make your practice more efficient in the long run.

Your routine doesn't look chaotic to me. It looks like you're trying to do a lot, though (but then again, you have a long practice session).

My practice session is pretty simple: I start with about 5 minutes of scales, arps, chord progressions and then head straight into the pieces I'm working on. I will typically have four pieces at various stages. Pieces that are in the very early stages get practiced every day. A late stage piece I might "rest" for a day or two. And that's it. I occasionally mess around with other stuff, but I don't regard this as part of my practice routine.

I don't really have time to practice old pieces, but I also want to keep my old pieces polished.
You could use half of your sight-reading time for old pieces. Ten minutes would allow you to get through a fair amount over time.

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2704301
01/12/18 02:57 PM
01/12/18 02:57 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Florida
My practice routine is quite simple: I warm up by Either playing something in my repertoire from beginning to end, or playing a score that I’m working on polishing. I do not do independent exercises such as czerny. I had pre-identified those measures In new pieces that need work: it may just be repetitive, or it might mean doing an exercise that has been developed for fine-tuning that required technique. I never have three hours continuously to practice except at Piano camp: and even then, I break up my practice sessions into approximately one hour and then a 15 minute break. Generally, at home my practice sessions or 30 min to 1 hour, But they could beAs short as 10 minutes at a time, in which case I may only work on one problem measure

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2704306
01/12/18 03:12 PM
01/12/18 03:12 PM
Toronto, ON, Canada
S
Skullie Offline
Skullie  Offline
S
Toronto, ON, Canada
I've just returned to piano, so I'm still trying to ease my way back into things. I spend the first few minutes doing scales, warmup, etc. Then I do about 30 minutes, split evenly among what I'm working on. I've got three simple pieces on the go right now.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2704332
01/12/18 04:46 PM
01/12/18 04:46 PM
Netherlands
H
hyena Offline OP
hyena  Offline OP
H
Netherlands
More breaks might be helpful.

One time a did several days of 10 hours, since there was a break for my study. Then when I came back to my teacher to show the result, she said it actually gotten worse. But then againIf I'm with my teacher 2 hours really do exhaust, because then you really have to pay attention

So I guess that's where you learn the difference between playing and practicing.

Last edited by hyena; 01/12/18 04:52 PM.
Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2704369
01/12/18 06:42 PM
01/12/18 06:42 PM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Norway
I have only 45 minutes every day for practice. Therefore I can't use any time just for warm-up. Instead I start with music that isn't too difficult but gives some stretch to my fingers. Very often one of Bach's inventions or sinfonias. The rest of the time I spend on different pieces, very often reviewing and improving pieces I have played earlier, but sometimes I also learn new pieces. I always spend more time on the difficult parts of the piece than the easy parts. Some days I focus just on one piece, and sometimes I work with memorization.

This morning I played Bach's sinfonia #1 and #3. Then one of Grieg's Lyric Pieces (Op,47/2), one sonata movement of Beethoven (Op.14/1 - third movement) working on some left-hand passages and finished with Albeniz's tango, just for fun.

Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2704434
01/12/18 09:45 PM
01/12/18 09:45 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
500 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
In the Ozarks of Missouri
These are some great ideas, especially for a complete beginner like me...Thanks

Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2704443
01/12/18 10:54 PM
01/12/18 10:54 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
*sigh* Salt Lake City
Every day before work for 45-60 minutes.
If I'm too sick for piano, I'm too sick for work.

Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it.
– Roald Dahl

Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2704487
01/13/18 04:05 AM
01/13/18 04:05 AM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Offline

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Costa del Sol
Being retired, I have more time for practice, so I do about three hours per day. This is broken into three practice periods - after breakfast, after lunch. and before dinner. Each one hour session is broken up with one or two breaks when I change tasks. So me day starts with technical work (30 min), Sight reading (15 min), 40 piece selection (15 min). After lunch session, I spend 30 minutes on each of two pieces with a five minute break in between. Sometimes I switch back and forth between the two when I have worked a section to the point that I lose focus. The third session is two or three more pieces, generally at a more advanced stage that I am working on. That completes the practice for the day. It does not always go as planned, but that is the framework I try to stick to. In the evening I often play repertoire, easy listening, whatever I am in the mood for. This is not practice, it is fun!

Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2704593
01/13/18 01:30 PM
01/13/18 01:30 PM
North West Englandshire
S
StooXex Offline
StooXex  Offline
S
North West Englandshire
I tend to go with a warm up just to get into piano mood, chords, scales, a bit of fur elise.

Then I attack whatever I'm looking at learning, breaking down problem areas LH/RH/timing etc.

Then I play things wrong just to mildly irritate my wife.

Probably about 30 minutes or so to keep my hands alive, but for reasons could be several sessions in a day.

Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2704973
01/14/18 11:48 PM
01/14/18 11:48 PM
South Carolina
SadieLady Offline
SadieLady  Offline
South Carolina
I start out with a Bach piece, some scales, sight reading and whatever piece I'm doing for the 40 per year challenge. That is usually a pretty easy one as my goal is to do one per week for the year. Then I work on my lesson pieces. I finish with a little time on a song I played in the past. I practice about 1.5 hours per day during the week and double that on weekends. I take breaks during practicing. Sometime during the evening, I try do one or two pages in a theory book.

In progress:
Chopin, Waltz in A Minor
Bach, Scherzo

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2704976
01/15/18 12:00 AM
01/15/18 12:00 AM
Orig. land of Svear&Götar
R
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Orig. land of Svear&Götar
Mine is pretty well unmanageable at the time. Going from keyboards to lots of time on computer music software.

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1. Reviewing basics/ear training/analysis in interesting exercises.
Opus 599. Now at #77 and giving it a break.
Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2705013
01/15/18 04:11 AM
01/15/18 04:11 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Italy
This is my schedule, in 30-minute chunks, but I don't follow it strictly - it's just a guide. The actual time I spend at the piano depends on work and other obligations. I don't do any warm-up.

[Linked Image]

I need to devote more time to keeping my "repertoire" fresh and polished, so I will assign 1 more hour/week to that as soon as I'm done with RCM Etudes Level 6. They're already quite challenging, so I don't plan on starting the Level 7 book until next year.

Duets vary a lot depending on my partner's availability, but we resumed our work during the holidays and it's going strong.

Last edited by sinophilia; 01/15/18 04:16 AM.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2705082
01/15/18 11:38 AM
01/15/18 11:38 AM
Netherlands
H
hyena Offline OP
hyena  Offline OP
H
Netherlands
I'm trying out a new way of practicing too... I set an alarm clock, 15 minutes. In that 15 minutes I work with full attention on one single goal. Then take a small break, and repeat it several times...

Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2705222
01/15/18 06:21 PM
01/15/18 06:21 PM
LadyAcadia Offline

LadyAcadia  Offline

I struggle with keeping a structured practice routine. In the mornings I have 30 to 45 minutes. Most evenings I can get in 60 to 90 minutes. There's so much music that I've grouped them into categories.

Morning - Week day (30-45 minutes)
1. Czerny Op 299, warm-up - these are the pieces that I've got under my belt
2. Czerny Op 299 New stuff to learn
3. Recently memorized piece - getting to the point where I can play without stopping
4. Rotate among the Work in progress pieces. Currently at 6, including 1 for the 40-Piece Challenge.

Evening - Week day except Friday (60-90 minutes)
1. Berens Op 61, warm-up
2. Berens Op 61 New stuff to learn
3. Pieces assigned to be memorized. Currently 2 pieces.
4. Continue with the rotation of pieces that are a Work in progress.

On the weekend. . .
Friday night I've got choir practice, so I'm lucky if I get any piano time before heading off to a 2-hour rehearsal. But the rest of the weekend I do all of the above plus my repertoire pieces.

There's so much music that it helps to have a list. Each piece is played on average three times. If I find a passage that is rough then I'll stop and spend about 5 to 10 minutes to play it without stopping. My goal at the end of each day is to feel that I made some progress somewhere. Oh I forgot to mention that I watch YouTube each day to learn more on something new that came up in lessons that week. My favorite channels are PianoTV and Pianist Magazine!

Dona Nobis Pacem
Yamaha DGX 660 (portable 88)
Re: How do you manage your practice time? [Re: hyena] #2705531
01/16/18 07:15 PM
01/16/18 07:15 PM
North Carolina
cefinow Offline
500 Post Club Member
cefinow  Offline
500 Post Club Member
North Carolina
Well, now that I think all the serious replies have been made… Sometimes I think that it's my cat who manages my practice time… he's the last cat I have left and he get spoiled rotten, so whenever he comes up underneath the piano and taps me on the leg, I have to go play with him! Yes, have to. blush

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Replacement for Yamaha P90
by shamuball. 07/16/18 04:17 AM
Beethoven's Pathetique: short lecture
by MiguelSousa. 07/15/18 10:30 PM
Satie Gymnopedie
by cmb13. 07/15/18 09:50 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,443
Posts2,732,128
Members90,574
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission