Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
128 registered members (alenastar90, akc42, anamnesis, ajames, Amedeus, 28 invisible), 1,193 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2703755 - 01/10/18 04:48 PM "Fundamentals of piano practice"  
Dunolde Offline
Dunolde  Offline

I am not a good player and know all too well that my practice is less than good. I mean absolutely no disrespect whatever, considering the enormous amount of work involved in producing the book, but has anyone actually made it through the book on practice? I found myself bogged down by the sheer volume of information right from the beginning such that I simply can get nothing from it.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2703766 - 01/10/18 05:43 PM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: Dunolde]  
AZ_Astro Offline
500 Post Club Member
AZ_Astro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tempe, Arizona
I tried to read the book and failed. But I did glean some good ideas from the book.

I ended up skimming the book and taking and using that which made sense to me.

I just took another look at the book and I have to agree it is overly pedantic in its presentation, which hurts the message of the book.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
#2703772 - 01/10/18 06:16 PM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: Dunolde]  
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, B.C.
There are some good bits of advice but yeah, its hard to get through. I felt like too much of the content was trying to convince me of something like an hour long infomercial.

Check out this blog and book series: http://www.practisingthepiano.com

Kawai VPC1, Pianoteq, Galaxy Vintage D
#2703777 - 01/10/18 06:45 PM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: Vid]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by Vid
There are some good bits of advice but yeah, its hard to get through. I felt like too much of the content was trying to convince me of something like an hour long infomercial.

Check out this blog and book series: http://www.practisingthepiano.com

thumb Also look at Graham Fitch's videos on YouTube

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2703787 - 01/10/18 07:20 PM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: Dunolde]  
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level

Santa Fe, NM
Yeah, I found the hard sell part not to my taste. But when I first started looking for practice advice this book was what I found. I sort of read it, but I used it later just as a reference when I had a particular kind of issue I wanted to practice. I think Vid's and dogperson's links probably cover the material in a more accessible manner. But I can tell you that your idea of learning to practice better is one of the best you'll ever have!

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Practice what you suck at - anonymous
#2703793 - 01/10/18 07:49 PM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: Dunolde]  
David Farley Online content
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
I haven't delved too far into it, but it always sounds interesting. It's just ... so long, and I have tons of other material piled up I want to go through. It looks like Chuan C. Chang has taken the free PDF version of the book offline.

On another forum, or maybe here somewhere, someone made the case that the material in the Chang book is more succinctly covered in this book, which I've also read, but most of the examples are above my pay grade.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1441499539/

#2703803 - 01/10/18 08:07 PM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: David Farley]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by David Farley
I haven't delved too far into it, but it always sounds interesting. It's just ... so long, and I have tons of other material piled up I want to go through. It looks like Chuan C. Chang has taken the free PDF version of the book offline.

On another forum, or maybe here somewhere, someone made the case that the material in the Chang book is more succinctly covered in this book, which I've also read, but most of the examples are above my pay grade.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1441499539/

Thanks, David, for posting this link. I love reading books above my pay grade, as I hope they will help me get a promotion and pay raise.

#2703810 - 01/10/18 08:53 PM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: Dunolde]  
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A more practical book - Practiceopedia by Philip Johnston. He also has a companion book called ‘The Practice Revolution’ which I found very useful. The Graham Fitch books/videos are also great.

Not as practical but interesting reads: ‘The Practice of Practice’ and ‘Learning Strategies for Musical Success’.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
#2704009 - 01/11/18 02:20 PM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: Dunolde]  
Qazsedcft Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Warsaw, Poland
+1 to Practiceopedia and Graham Fitch's site. Both are amazing. Practiceopedia is filled with great tips and written in a light humorous style that is very easy to read. It's aimed at kids but adults can definitely benefit too. Graham Fitch has many insightful articles and videos and also great tips for intermediate and advanced pianists.

-1 to Chang's book. He should stick to physics and not try to write books outside of his area of competence. Some of his practice tips are interesting but to get to the core idea you have to get through all the other stuff. He makes completely unbacked claims as though they were the truth. For instance, he claims that you can learn absolute pitch, which is contrary to all research on the subject. He also has something against Mozart for some reason.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
#2704295 - 01/12/18 01:37 PM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: Dunolde]  
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Jersey Shore
My Amazon review from 2007:

Chang's book has a few good points, but for the most part I find it poorly written. Its like he handed his rough notes to the publisher and they printed it. Its seems unorganized and disjointed. I find it hard to follow. I'm not even sure he's a player according to what I've read and heard. In the book he argues with himself on just about every concept. Its overly wordy with little substance. His strong opinions don't seem to be based on science. I should of just read it online, (Its free on his web site), but I like the feel of a book. Oh well...even if I get a couple small concepts, the better...

#2705712 - 01/17/18 11:09 AM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: Dunolde]  
jimbeam Offline
jimbeam  Offline

Athens, Greece
Hello,

I have the chapter "Basic Procedures for Piano Practice" from the blog (http://contentspiano.blogspot.gr/) and find it very well explained and useful.

#2705858 - 01/17/18 08:16 PM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: jimbeam]  
NobleHouse Offline
NobleHouse  Offline

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by jimbeam
Hello,

I have the chapter "Basic Procedures for Piano Practice" from the blog (http://contentspiano.blogspot.gr/) and find it very well explained and useful.

Thanks Jimbeam - very interesting and useful for me.

#2705898 - 01/17/18 11:49 PM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: Dunolde]  
mivaldes Online content
mivaldes  Online Content

Fayetteville, GA
Another great book: Playing the Piano for Pleasure. https://www.amazon.com/Playing-Pian...;keywords=playing+the+piano+for+pleasure

I've read this a few times and alway enjoy it. The Fundamentals book has some good ideas in it. It's not all bad and it's not all good. I've enjoyed parts of it. Also love Practicopedia as stated above. Honestly these days, there is so much good YouTube content I wonder what the future of books is going to be. Josh Wright is incredible.

Marcus

Marcus Valdes
Fayetteville, GA
#2706003 - Yesterday at 07:45 AM Re: "Fundamentals of piano practice" [Re: mivaldes]  
NobleHouse Offline
NobleHouse  Offline

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by mivaldes
Another great book: Playing the Piano for Pleasure. https://www.amazon.com/Playing-Pian...;keywords=playing+the+piano+for+pleasure

I've read this a few times and alway enjoy it. The Fundamentals book has some good ideas in it. It's not all bad and it's not all good. I've enjoyed parts of it. Also love Practicopedia as stated above. Honestly these days, there is so much good YouTube content I wonder what the future of books is going to be. Josh Wright is incredible.

Marcus

I have to agree about Josh Wright...

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Middle keys don't play on Kawai CN43
by flyingiguana. 01/19/18 12:13 PM
Small hands no worry
by RaggedKeyPresser. 01/19/18 11:34 AM
Piano Technicians Guild Magazines
by Piano Valentine. 01/19/18 11:01 AM
For Sydneysiders - Australia - the music sale Crows Nest
by Bach_ingMaddie. 01/19/18 06:25 AM
Chuck Leavell instruction question
by carolinakeys. 01/19/18 01:36 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,867
Posts2,688,592
Members89,481
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission