2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2704001 01/11/18 03:04 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Okay I am in Grade 4 now. We have started playing triplets and mixing them with "regular" time notes. I'm playing the "other minuet in G", BVW 116. In bar 23-24 it goes from a triplet to a regular and I cannot fricken get it right for the life of me! Is this a normal problem at this level or am I slow? My teacher keeps saying ba-na-na pear apple pear or whatever other help there is and I still am horrible at it. If I put on the metronome it just makes me go insane! Help!!! I am so frustrated.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
No, nobody is normal.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
J
J
You're not normal......none of us are. I mean, what the heck is normal anyways. Regardless of all that noise, you're having a hard time with that because, well, it's HARD AS HECK. All I can say is, it will eventually "click". Go so slow it hurts, and keep doing it, then do it some more. Before too long, it will be less uncomfortable. Eventually it will even feel normalish. It's right up there with polyrythms though when it comes to beginning the process of learning them. Some skills are quick to pick up, but forever to master. Tying in with triplets is slow to pick up, but quick to master, once it clicks.

Last edited by JayWalkingBlues; 01/11/18 03:20 PM.

Currently working on:
Asturia (Leyenda) - Isaac Albeniz
Mia and Sabastian's Theme - Kyle Landry arrangement
also working on some vocal training

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by sara elizabeth
Okay I am in Grade 4 now. We have started playing triplets and mixing them with "regular" time notes. I'm playing the "other minuet in G", BVW 116. In bar 23-24 it goes from a triplet to a regular and I cannot fricken get it right for the life of me! Is this a normal problem at this level or am I slow? My teacher keeps saying ba-na-na pear apple pear or whatever other help there is and I still am horrible at it. If I put on the metronome it just makes me go insane! Help!!! I am so frustrated.

Maybe this will help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0o3-bYsMT4

He's strumming a triplet on every 3rd beat.

Last edited by RaggedKeyPresser; 01/11/18 03:30 PM.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Haha I love you guys. Thanks for the video. It seems I either get the triplet and swing the eighths or mess up the triplet. I can't seem to have it both ways.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm not gonna lie, there has been some yelling and piano bashing at my house the last two days.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Everyone has difficulties that seem unsurmountable. At some point it will click.

Have you tried listening to someone else play (at a slower tempo) and tapping the rhythm? On YT there is an option to play the video at 50% tempo.

D
D
I've seen two variations on this bar (24):

- dotted quarter note followed by 3 eighth notes (Bastien)

- quarter note followed by 2 eighth notes followed by quarter note (Anna Magdalena Notebook)

And I've heard it played both ways. I think the Bastien (and other) version is easier (more intuitive) to play, but I like how the AMN version sounds, so I play the latter.

Which one are you trying to play? I think it helps to "get it into your ear" and then it will come to your fingers. So listen to a recording that has the version you are trying to learn.

Linda
Yamaha N1X
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] XLVII
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ah, very interesting Linda because my music reads AMN but my fingers are playing the other way, with a dotted quarter rhythm. I wonder if the first time I heard it there was a dotted quarter and somewhere deep in my brain wants to do that.

D
D
It could be. I've also certainly heard performances of this minuet by folks that are stated to be the AMN version, yet they play the Bastien version on that bar. So if you have some confusion, it's understandable.

A very nice performance of this by forum member Mel_lem is a good one to listen to, to get the AMN version into your ear:
https://soundcloud.com/mel_lem22/j-s-bach-minuet-in-g-major

I also did this version in my recital piece in August.

And that bar was one of my trouble spots in learning as well smile

Linda
Yamaha N1X
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Bastien is wrong. See the following link:
https://imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/0/09/IMSLP475024-PMLP06107-Partitur_D-B_Mus.ms._Bach_P_225.pdf

On page 59 of that PDF you have it in Bach's own handwriting!

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by dancingfish
I think it helps to "get it into your ear" and then it will come to your fingers. So listen to a recording that has the version you are trying to learn.

+1. Listen to it over and over, play it in the car while you're driving. Listen to it a few times before you go to sleep, and try it in the morning.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Bart K #2704033 01/11/18 04:20 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
https://imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/0/09/IMSLP475024-PMLP06107-Partitur_D-B_Mus.ms._Bach_P_225.pdf

Interesting to see the proof. But I wonder why do many (most?) people play it the "wrong" way even if they are following music that's notated correctly?

Edit to add this note: there is another difference in that bar between Bastien and AMN, and it is that Bastien repeats the accidental sharp on the D from the previous measure, whereas in AMN it is noted as a D natural. Per Bach's notation, it is not a sharp. I hadn't seen this clarification, so I played it with a sharp because I preferred how it sounded (and I think mel_lem played it this way too). So you might notice this as a difference if listening to these recordings and then following the AMN version exactly. FYI

Last edited by dancingfish; 01/11/18 04:39 PM.

Linda
Yamaha N1X
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft

Interesting to see the proof. But I wonder why do many (most?) people play it the "wrong" way even if they are following music that's notated correctly?

There must be a history to it because many people also play D sharp in the next measure even though there is no sharp. Because this menuet is so widely used in teaching piano it's possible that errors like that get propagated from teacher to pupil over the generations. Just a theory...

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Maybe it's just me, but ba-na-na seems like a terrible word for helping with triplets, since the accent is on the wrong syllable. You'd have to say banana. If it has to be fruit, what about strawberry, apricot, cantaloupe, pineapple--lots of better possibilities! smile

1989 Baldwin R
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hm. I think she might actually use strawberry. Hard to remember. Mostly she says trip-el-et.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
The D sharp in measure 23 is acting as the leading tone in the key of E minor. It appears in a section in E minor which starts at measure 17 and continues to the first beat of measure 24 (E in the melody).

The remaining three notes in measure 24 are pickup notes into the rest of the piece which is in G major. The D natural in measure 24 is part of how the composer signals a return to G major.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
L
L
Philip in China is right—none of us is normal.

However, my teacher gave me choc-o-late to use for triplets. Works for me!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
It could be. I've also certainly heard performances of this minuet by folks that are stated to be the AMN version, yet they play the Bastien version on that bar. So if you have some confusion, it's understandable.

A very nice performance of this by forum member Mel_lem is a good one to listen to, to get the AMN version into your ear:
https://soundcloud.com/mel_lem22/j-s-bach-minuet-in-g-major

I also did this version in my recital piece in August.

And that bar was one of my trouble spots in learning as well smile

THANK YOU MEL_LEM!! Okay I listened to this about 60 times and I think I finally get it. I can at least sing it properly now.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have a version on SoundCloud as well, but it's not fast like Mel_lem's! Note the RCM version doesn't have a triplet at the end.

That's an interesting PDF. Why is G the middle line? As for measure 24, it shows D natural in both the RCM book and Alfred's Masterwork Classics (Vol 4). The note in the Alfred's book says, "Most modern editions have D# here. The sharp does not appear in the original manuscript"

I struggled with triplets in the beginning, particularly with making the first 2 notes too fast, and then holding on the 3d a bit longer before playing the second beat. My teacher suggested I say "Go - Ing - To - There". It helped to keep the 3 notes even and playing the second beat on time.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission