2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2703926 01/11/18 11:11 AM
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Should a corner bass trap run the entire height of the room?

If not, should they be at the top, in the centre or at the bottom?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm actually in the process of re tuning my room to accommodate my new concert grand. My 2" panels worked for the smaller piano but kill the highs and clouds the bass for the larger piano so it was recommended to add broadband bass traps all around.

From what I learned you will want the thickest material 6" or so broadband bass traps w/ diffusion- as many as you can tolerate and yes you will want floor to ceiling for the corners, but that may only be just a start. The diffusion will give the room ambiance. I decided to go the other way around and start with traps on the walls first since I really don't like the corner ones in my smaller room. Check out GIK Acoustics in the UK

You can have the diffusion plate outside or underneath the fabric and you can also do it yourself to save money

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Bass traps should run the entire length of the wall to be effective.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
So on the one hand, piano designers go to great lengths to improve the sound of the bass of pianos, and on the other hand, acoustic "experts" add bass traps to reduce the sound of the bass in pianos.

Semipro Tech
BDB #2703974 01/11/18 01:36 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That is NOT how bass traps work. Its not about reducing the sound at all, Its about frequency control and gain. You will get way better and more clear bass sound with traps

Last edited by Miguel Rey; 01/11/18 01:40 PM.

B
BDB Offline
B
Gain has everything to do about reducing the sound, and why should we tune pianos just to have someone else control the frequency?

Semipro Tech
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All I know is bass traps and acoustic panels make a world of difference for residential rooms for acoustic and hi fi systems. It's about sound reflections not direct sound from the source. What you are trying to do is delay the amount of sound going into your ears as if you were in a larger hall were that happens naturally. This is not really a subjective argument, Plenty of info out there on the net.

BDB #2703994 01/11/18 02:44 PM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by BDB
So on the one hand, piano designers go to great lengths to improve the sound of the bass of pianos, and on the other hand, acoustic "experts" add bass traps to reduce the sound of the bass in pianos.

It's more the acoustic response of the space to the bass, and not the design of the piano itself. Same goes for audio speakers in professional and performance settings. Software is used to analyze the acoustic response of the room with "pink noise". Then the data is used to set the equalizers on the sound system to insure a natural sound in the venue.

Last edited by GC13; 01/11/18 02:45 PM.
BDB #2703997 01/11/18 02:59 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by BDB
Gain has everything to do about reducing the sound, and why should we tune pianos just to have someone else control the frequency?

Because an untreated room is "controlling the frequency" already, and not in a good way. Bass frequencies have a tendency to reflect a lot in the corners of a room, they build up there and distort the sound coming back at you. In other words, they (Absorption panels, Bass Traps, etc.) help you to hear the piano, as opposed to the piano plus the distorted reflections from the walls.

Last edited by sroreilly; 01/11/18 03:01 PM.
B
BDB Offline
B
I have never had problems hearing a piano, so I do not need any of this nonsense.

Semipro Tech
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Most recording studios have acoustic treatments of the space, including those I have tuned pianos for.

When I am discussing voicing of a piano with a customer, that most often includes a discussion of the room that the piano is in and its effect on the sound of the piano, along with some suggestions of simple things they can do to improve the performance of the room for the piano. The best result comes from addressing the needs of the piano and those of the room.

You might want to read up on this stuff, BDB. It's pretty much common knowledge.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
BDB #2704053 01/11/18 05:22 PM
O
O
Originally Posted by BDB
I have never had problems hearing a piano, so I do not need any of this nonsense.

Nonsense? Please. This is right out of Basic Studio Design 101, as important as avoiding parallel surfaces in a studio to eliminate standing waves. Sure, residential spaces are not usually built to this convention, but some people (the OP, audiophiles, etc.) care as much about this as they do selecting the best equipment. As a tech you should at least be aware of the principles of how audio behaves in a room, and how to optimize it.

Last edited by Oasismfg; 01/11/18 05:24 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
O
O
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
Conclusion

To properly employ bass traps one must be aware of the room/speaker interaction, be sensitive to the type of music/audio, have a reasonable expectation of the room’s natural size, and understand energy transfer into modal resonance. Good bass trap design will correspond with the boundary dimensions. Care must be given to assure the traps are not over efficient or oversized.

Absolutely agree. And all acoustic treatment should be given consideration based on appropriate analysis, e.g. diffusers.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Miguel Rey
That is NOT how bass traps work. Its not about reducing the sound at all, Its about frequency control and gain. You will get way better and more clear bass sound with traps

Excuse my asking, but what does "frequency control" mean?

B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by David-G

It might mean this:

I think a lot of people do not understand that trying to make sound (or anything else) natural artificially is an oxymoron.

Semipro Tech
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by David-G

It means managing specific frequencies that are overexpresed due to the shape of a specific room. The goal is to attenuate what is overexpessed so that what you hear is representative of the sound of the instrument. Lower frequencies are usually the most problematic because it can result in some notes on the piano really barking at you due to powerful standing waves being generated between certain walls. Corner traps are often effective at reducing this down to an acceptable level - although sometimes even more is needed. In the end, what you're trying to do is interfere with the specific dimension in the room that supports the problem frequencies.

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
So why has no one mentioned eigentones

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
O
O
I believe eigentones is another word for standing waves, correct?

X
X
Bass traps are most effective when they are floor to ceiling, and they are not nonsense.

The way I look at it is to picture a grand piano in a concert hall, the sound can radiate out towards the audience with effectively no interference. By the time it hits walls and bounces back it is already pretty attenuated (and the concert hall should be designed to deal with this anyway) so that there are minimal interference problems. The audience is mainly hearing the sound directly from the piano, not rebounding noise off the walls.

The same great power of bass that sends the notes to the back of the hall is a big problem in a small room. There is going to be tons of rebounding waves (particularly bass). The sound traps are not attenuating the sound waves that leave the piano, they are as their name implies trapping the ones that enter the corner and stopping excessive rebounds around the room. Thus the volume in front of the piano is still the same, and the bass is if anything improved as there are less interference patterns causing imbalances in the room.

Is it a huge difference? if you are right next to or plying the piano often no, but if you are trying to record it does matter.

Likewise with loudspeakers, room conditioning is as important if not more important than the speakers. If there are unfavorable room resonances and excess rebounding sound then even the best speakers are going to sound subpar.

I now have a signature.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission