Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (alexk3954, AZNpiano, agraffe, atcsam, ASR, 36251, astrotoy, 18 invisible), 930 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Audetto] #2723403
03/22/18 05:36 AM
03/22/18 05:36 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
500 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Originally Posted by Audetto
So

have not changed my mind in the end and just received my ca78.
So far so good (actually really good).

Only thing is that I had to update the software twice as the first time the 3rd step (the long one, btw, what is it doing for 2 hours) filed once.
But the I fully reformatted the memory stick and worked.

Congratulations! This is a trivial comment, but please do spend some time experimenting with the sound and VT settings as the sound quality of the CAx8 (especially the 98 due to the soundboard) greatly depends on properly adjusting it to the environment. Also read this thread to get insights on how to use the "favourites" functionality.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Kawai James] #2723473
03/22/18 11:24 AM
03/22/18 11:24 AM
Switzerland
B
Bit Offline
Bit  Offline
B

Switzerland
maybe the crashes are a problem with specific headphones? Or are different Hardware Versions available?

Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: mabraman] #2723737
03/23/18 12:01 PM
03/23/18 12:01 PM
C
cocoherz Offline
cocoherz  Offline
C

Originally Posted by mabraman
I didn't experienced any freezing when plugging headphones at the store. Not a hum when navigating. The interface seemed easy to use, though I mostly played on Pianist Mode. Reverb was easy to find too, can't see why is it 'hidden' to someone.

the freezing when plugging headphones it is only in pianist mode not on sound mode.

Last edited by cocoherz; 03/23/18 12:02 PM.
Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: cocoherz] #2723933
03/24/18 11:03 AM
03/24/18 11:03 AM
T
TheCallowPianist Offline
TheCallowPianist  Offline
T

Originally Posted by cocoherz

the freezing when plugging headphones it is only in pianist mode not on sound mode.

Could you upload a video of this issue?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: TheCallowPianist] #2723937
03/24/18 11:20 AM
03/24/18 11:20 AM
C
cocoherz Offline
cocoherz  Offline
C

Originally Posted by TheCallowPianist
Originally Posted by cocoherz

Could you upload a video of this issue?

yes i can do it, but there is nothing special to see, just the screen goes off and on again wink

but it is strange, now i tried it again to connect the headphones to make video and it doesn't happen...

Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Kawai James] #2723946
03/24/18 11:51 AM
03/24/18 11:51 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

That's what happened to me, too (on the NV10). 100% reproduceable touchscreen crash when inserting headphone plug into the jack (both 1/8" and 1/4")). Then it stopped and has never happened again since.

I'm starting to think it has something that may happen only in the first few bootups after factory update?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Kawai James] #2723954
03/24/18 12:04 PM
03/24/18 12:04 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Germany
Interesting. As I wrote in the NV10 thread, I had this happening to me in the shop every time (of the total of three times) when I inserted the headphones plug: Once with a CA98 and twice with an NV10.
Then at home, with my own NV10, it hasn't happened once yet during the whole time I've owned it (initially with the same headphones as I had used in the shop, which however I had to replace since then, as they developed an unrelated fault).

Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Kawai James] #2723956
03/24/18 12:08 PM
03/24/18 12:08 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Yep, my experience mirrored yours exactly, Jobert. About 5 consecutive crashes in the shop. I didn't really care about the issue because I don't use the headphone jack much with a VST and it doesn't affect the sound generator (you can still play while the screen is rebooting) so I bought that same unit expecting it to happen every time until some firmware it hardware fix is issued. But once I had it home, it has never crashed even once.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Kawai James] #2723966
03/24/18 12:25 PM
03/24/18 12:25 PM
C
cocoherz Offline
cocoherz  Offline
C

I think it has nothing to do with the update. I first had 1.01 and thought that I did not make the new update because of these things with headphones which will happen after update. I had no problems with the plug-in the headphones. when I once plugged in the headphones in the pianist mode (played mostly sound mode) the touchscreen went off. I thought so, ok, seems to be only in the pianist mode and then I can also update to 1.02 if the problem anyway already is there.so i made the update, but never tried headphones till today. And today it does not happen anymore.

But for me it isn't a problem, I have other worries ... i just want to play with a good sound. i don't mind the touchscreen ...

Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Kawai James] #2734128
05/04/18 04:05 PM
05/04/18 04:05 PM
A
Audetto Offline
Audetto  Offline
A

So I have contacted Kawai Europe about Favorite asking how I can inspect the settings of a Favorite in order to

1) know what values have been saved
2) use it as a base for further changes

I have reported as well some apparently random settings being selected at times and they told me there is an issue if one starts the piano with a Favorite and then deletes it.
The will do something about it.

But this was only a side issue, my main concern being 1 / 2 above.

The reply was

1) the use case they had in mind is: comparison between "current settings" and a "favorite", which requires that when one moves off the favorite page, the previous selected settings (I call them "current") are restored.

Fair enough, it is valid use case, not my top priority but understandable.

2) so I asked if they would add a button in the favorite tab to store the currently selected favorite into the "current" settings for inspection. They answered

"the structure of the CA78/CA98 is not designed for such kind of functionality"

which sounds to me like one of these sales script and which I interpret as

"sorry CA78 / CA98 are out, no more development, we will probably fix major issues, no more"

So in the era of Smart Phones, if you want to know what is saved in a Favorite, you have to write the values on a piece of paper, unless you can tell from the sound.

Maybe, if enough people ask for it, they will reconsider the decision.

Kawai CA78
(previously Kawai KDP90)
Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Kawai James] #2734137
05/04/18 05:05 PM
05/04/18 05:05 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Germany
Audetto, I fear that your interpretation of Kawai Europe's response could be spot on, i.e. that the drivel about "the structure is not designed for it" (and it *is* drivel, because of course it would be possible to add such a feature to the software, especially since the 67/97 generation still had it, it was called "Open Registration" in the menu) is indeed just code-speak for "sorry, that's how it is, we are not interested in fixing this as we are already working on the next generation, so deal with it". frown

I *fear* that it could be like this, but I *hope* that maybe instead it is just code-speak for "sorry, but we here in Europe are not involved in the actual development, so we don't really know what fixes/changes are planned, if any, and even if we did, we are totally not allowed to speak about upcoming changes before they are officially released, so please understand that I have to give you a noncommittal line about "structure bla bla not designed bla bla"..."

That would at least leave a tiny sliver of hope... frown

Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: JoBert] #2734228
05/05/18 03:49 AM
05/05/18 03:49 AM
Germany
D
danielp11 Offline
danielp11  Offline
D

Germany
Originally Posted by JoBert
Audetto, I fear that your interpretation of Kawai Europe's response could be spot on, i.e. that the drivel about "the structure is not designed for it" (and it *is* drivel, because of course it would be possible to add such a feature to the software, especially since the 67/97 generation still had it, it was called "Open Registration" in the menu) is indeed just code-speak for "sorry, that's how it is, we are not interested in fixing this as we are already working on the next generation, so deal with it". frown

I *fear* that it could be like this, but I *hope* that maybe instead it is just code-speak for "sorry, but we here in Europe are not involved in the actual development, so we don't really know what fixes/changes are planned, if any, and even if we did, we are totally not allowed to speak about upcoming changes before they are officially released, so please understand that I have to give you a noncommittal line about "structure bla bla not designed bla bla"..."

That would at least leave a tiny sliver of hope... frown

Hello,

I am thinking about upgrading my beloved CS11 to a Novus NV10. On my CS11 I use „open registration“ all the time to make small refinements to different VT settings (including to different single keys) and then to store it back to the same registration slot or a new copy to a different registration slot.
This „open registration“ feature is therefore very important for me.

If I would not be able to adjust some VT parameters of one favorite and then store them back to the same or a new favorite in the Novus NV10 (CA98/CA78) than this would be a HUGE downgrade for me (at least concerning the software).

Maybe Kawai James can clarify this and state that I am wrong and that this or a similar functionality is still possible (which I really hope) on the new devices ( Novus NV10, CA98, CA78).

Thanks in advance
Daniel

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Kawai James] #2734232
05/05/18 04:40 AM
05/05/18 04:40 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Germany
Daniel, I know you were hoping for a "good news" to the contrary from James, but I can assure you that there is indeed no function similar to "Open Registration" in the current NV10/CA98/CA78 software. The only thing you can edit for an existing favorite is its name and its position in the list.

Fortunately for me, editing favorites is, at least currently, not important, so I can live with this regression, although I find it annoying. But if this feature is important for you, you should probably wait to see if there will ever be an update. Or if none materializes, maybe sit out this generation (hoping that the next generation again has this feature).

Personally, I think this was simply forgotten and overlooked when the old button based interface was converted into the new touch interface, and no one noticed until the release. The question is, if this mistake will ever be rectified or not. And if yes, then in this generation or only in the next?

Last edited by JoBert; 05/05/18 07:06 AM.
Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: JoBert] #2734367
05/05/18 07:14 PM
05/05/18 07:14 PM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
500 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Originally Posted by JoBert
Daniel, I know you were hoping for a "good news" to the contrary from James, but I can assure you that there is indeed no function similar to "Open Registration" in the current NV10/CA98/CA78 software. The only thing you can edit for an existing favorite is its name and its position in the list.

Fortunately for me, editing favorites is, at least currently, not important, so I can live with this regression, although I find it annoying. But if this feature is important for you, you should probably wait to see if there will ever be an update. Or if none materializes, maybe sit out this generation (hoping that the next generation again has this feature).

Personally, I think this was simply forgotten and overlooked when the old button based interface was converted into the new touch interface, and no one noticed until the release. The question is, if this mistake will ever be rectified or not. And if yes, then in this generation or only in the next?

I would say that being unable to edit and review the content of existing favourites makes favourite management almost useless For example, if one saves in a favourite the results of adjusting the tone or volume of individual keys in the VT and then wants to make any changes to the settings, then the only solution is to restart from scratch. It is also not possible to reuse existing settings.

The underlying issue is not some "bug" in favourites management but the fact that the current settings management lacks clear and consistent use cases. For example, in "pianist mode" the resonance level and tonal character are configured on the start screen, the Ambience level and depth is on the top level of the settings menu (it is not on the start screen, not on the VT settings and not on the Sound settings). Then there are separate VT settings, Sound settings and general settings. These settings can stored and recalled using different mechanisms (store to sound, favourites, default save) which mainly lead to unexpected or inconsistent results as already described in multiple posts on this and other threads on the forum. As such, it is for me difficult to accept that Kawai will not rectify these issues on the current generation of DPs. We are discussing the usability of Kawai's flagship DPs and not of some entry level keyboard!

Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Kawai James] #2734466
05/06/18 08:33 AM
05/06/18 08:33 AM
A
Audetto Offline
Audetto  Offline
A

Not sure how much is going to help, but if anybody with this usability issue writes to Kawai, then they might react to it.

I don't know what Kawai James roles is here, and given that this is not an official Kawai forum, I think it is important to give feedback directly to Kawai.

I have found a couple of emails at this page http://www.kawai.co.uk/contact.htm

Kawai CA78
(previously Kawai KDP90)
Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Audetto] #2734481
05/06/18 10:07 AM
05/06/18 10:07 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
500 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Originally Posted by Audetto
Not sure how much is going to help, but if anybody with this usability issue writes to Kawai, then they might react to it.

I don't know what Kawai James roles is here, and given that this is not an official Kawai forum, I think it is important to give feedback directly to Kawai.

I have found a couple of emails at this page http://www.kawai.co.uk/contact.htm

Did that already. I have sent a list of UI usability issues to Kawai Global and Kawai Europe some 4 months ago. I can update the list and resend it to Kawai. The only reply I got was “we have received your message and are looking into it”. The list includes several of the topics discussed here related to the settings and favourites management and also related to instrument selection in sound mode, music recorder and music player. These issues can be addressed by changes to the UI design and UI use cases and do not require any changes core system/sound engine (as you know, the UI and the core system are updated separately).

I emphasize that I am very happy with the CA98 and would buy it again today. I have never experienced any kind of technical problems during its almost 6 months of usage. However I find it very hard to accept that the UI in the flagship CAx8 and Novus models was released with such a design and, worse, was not yet properly updated.

Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: arc7urus] #2734524
05/06/18 12:35 PM
05/06/18 12:35 PM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
Originally Posted by arc7urus

Did that already. I have sent a list of UI usability issues to Kawai Global and Kawai Europe some 4 months ago. I can update the list and resend it to Kawai. The only reply I got was “we have received your message and are looking into it”. The list includes several of the topics discussed here related to the settings and favourites management and also related to instrument selection in sound mode, music recorder and music player.

In the short period I had a CA67 there were two problems. Loud keys which Kawai said were a feature(!) and software which clearly needed a redesign and rewrite. Adding a GUI on top of that doesn't help and if the same people are trying to address the problems you have raised I think you may have a long wait.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Colin Miles] #2734634
05/06/18 06:51 PM
05/06/18 06:51 PM
Germany
D
danielp11 Offline
danielp11  Offline
D

Germany
Originally Posted by Colin Miles

Did that already. I have sent a list of UI usability issues to Kawai Global and Kawai Europe some 4 months ago. I can update the list and resend it to Kawai. The only reply I got was “we have received your message and are looking into it”. The list includes several of the topics discussed here related to the settings and favourites management and also related to instrument selection in sound mode, music recorder and music player.

In the short period I had a CA67 there were two problems. Loud keys which Kawai said were a feature(!) and software which clearly needed a redesign and rewrite. Adding a GUI on top of that doesn't help and if the same people are trying to address the problems you have raised I think you may have a long wait.

Hello,

I think I know the CA67/CA97/CS11 software well, understand it and I am perfectly fine with it. What really bothers me is the possible downgrade in software functionality in the CA78/CA98/NV10 concerning the changing of VT values in favorite settings, which is possible in the CA67/CA98/CS11 software via „open registration“.

Daniel

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: danielp11] #2734673
05/06/18 08:26 PM
05/06/18 08:26 PM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
500 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Originally Posted by danielp11
Originally Posted by Colin Miles

Hello,

I think I know the CA67/CA97/CS11 software well, understand it and I am perfectly fine with it. What really bothers me is the possible downgrade in software functionality in the CA78/CA98/NV10 concerning the changing of VT values in favorite settings, which is possible in the CA67/CA98/CS11 software via „open registration“.

Daniel

It will be indeed a loss of functionality if Kawai does not update the usability of the UI. But I believe the benefits of upgrading to an NV10 will outweigh the UI issues.

Re: Kawai CA98/CA78 v1.0.2 software update - now available [Re: Kawai James] #2735554
05/10/18 03:54 PM
05/10/18 03:54 PM
A
Audetto Offline
Audetto  Offline
A

I've exchanged more (disappointing) emails with Kawai (carefully thought through, priority was the Pianist mode, most users don't need it... and so on).

Anyway, I think they really consider the Favorites a "feature".

And I was trying to understand why they had duplicated the Metronome and the Recorder in the Favorite tab,
What is the point? We already have 2 of each. And the answer confirms the Favorite tab is a world apart.

If the Metronome & Recorder were not duplicated, then they would have been completely unusable with a Favorite.
So that should have rang a bell: what about all the other features (other than Metronome and Recorder), why were they considered 2nd class citizens and have not been duplicated? This arbitrary decision, to limit what is available from a Favorite to these 2 features is really a consequence of the (IMHO bad) decision to "ring fence" the Favorite.

So, unfortunately, this seems to have been implemented correctly, and it falls under the category of convoluted and short sighted design (I am a software developer myself and I know how rare a commodity is the "Principle of least astonishment").

Kawai CA78
(previously Kawai KDP90)
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ornament Accidental Changes for the Bar?
by abrogard. 03/23/19 08:01 PM
DP for someone how does not seem to want a DP
by Markuska. 03/23/19 07:29 PM
Steinway vs. Clavinova?
by Munn14464. 03/23/19 06:48 PM
Were my HD599s defective?
by peterws. 03/23/19 06:03 PM
learning to play with any other music than classical
by Stef London. 03/23/19 05:53 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,090
Posts2,810,077
Members92,859
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission