2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
PhilipInChina #2702568 01/06/18 06:02 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Caffeine is an ergogenic drug, but it's probably the only one that's legal under IAAF rules. Many endurance athletes use it to boost performance during races. I myself used it to post my PB (= PR in USA) in the London Marathon, in my fourth marathon - it works best if you haven't used it for a few days (i.e. have a washout period, just like carbo-loading).

Caffeine is also recommended to help keep you alert during long drives (to avoid causing pile-ups on the M6) - I routinely stop at a service station and make myself (or buy) a mug of strong caffeinated beverage during the 600 mile drive towards my namesake, Ben Nevis grin. You can go online to check to see which coffeehouse chain dispense the strongest coffee, if that's what you're looking for, or you could just get one of those 'energy drinks' in a can, which often contain more caffeine than coffee.

As for its use for piano, I can imagine a bored teacher using it profitably so that he doesn't nod off in front of a student (he might dent the fallboard), or a tired student needing a last-minute burning of the midnight oil to memorise German terms like Leicht und zart (it's in Schumann's Arabeske, since you didn't ask) for the Grade 5 ABRSM Theory exam. I myself used it to help pass my school & university exams wink . It will help to increase your concentration when you're learning the notes on an intractable score like Ravel's Gaspard. But it will increase your anxiety level during performances - trembling, shaking etc - so I wouldn't recommend it for piano exams or recitals, especially if you already suffer from performance anxiety (like me).

So, coffee is (or rather, contains) a strong drug (or not, as the case may be). Use it with discretion........ thumb

Me, I just drink it.

If music be the food of love, play on!
PhilipInChina #2702584 01/06/18 08:57 AM
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I have drunk four Americano cups of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe or Colombian Bucaramanga every day for the past seven years.

I play piano much better than I did seven years ago smile

[Linked Image]

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Beemer #2702587 01/06/18 09:36 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beemer
I have drunk four Americano cups of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe or Colombian Bucaramanga every day for the past seven years.

I play piano much better than I did seven years ago smile

Ian

Nice setup. I have a Nespresso machine which I absolutely love. Makes great coffee, although I wonder sometimes what exactly is in those pods.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

PhilipInChina #2702593 01/06/18 10:46 AM
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I hate that word Americano and refuse to use it. If I order coffee I expect just that, not a cup of hot water with an espresso thrown in!

Laissez tomber les mains
PhilipInChina #2702605 01/06/18 11:31 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
Coffee seems to make me too restless to sit down and concentrate.

Hmm, I wonder if there is something to that…
Maybe pre-caffeinated early-morning practice sessions might go a little better for me...
Guess there is a line between the stimulation of caffeine, and a counterproductive scattering effect.

PhilipInChina #2702610 01/06/18 11:56 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Can't say coffee is the only solution for everybody. It is the caffeine that keeps people awake so tea and energy drinks with caffeine probably has similar effects. When we were younger, coffee wasn't consumed regularly and we got by just the same. Didn't get to play Bach Minuets & Beethoven Sonatas in my childhood so can't say if coffee would have made a difference.

bennevis #2702614 01/06/18 12:27 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
Caffeine is an ergogenic drug, but it's probably the only one that's legal under IAAF rules. Many endurance athletes use it to boost performance during races. I myself used it to post my PB (= PR in USA) in the London Marathon, in my fourth marathon - it works best if you haven't used it for a few days (i.e. have a washout period, just like carbo-loading).

Caffeine is also recommended to help keep you alert during long drives (to avoid causing pile-ups on the M6) - I routinely stop at a service station and make myself (or buy) a mug of strong caffeinated beverage during the 600 mile drive towards my namesake, Ben Nevis grin. You can go online to check to see which coffeehouse chain dispense the strongest coffee, if that's what you're looking for, or you could just get one of those 'energy drinks' in a can, which often contain more caffeine than coffee.

As for its use for piano, I can imagine a bored teacher using it profitably so that he doesn't nod off in front of a student (he might dent the fallboard), or a tired student needing a last-minute burning of the midnight oil to memorise German terms like Leicht und zart (it's in Schumann's Arabeske, since you didn't ask) for the Grade 5 ABRSM Theory exam. I myself used it to help pass my school & university exams wink . It will help to increase your concentration when you're learning the notes on an intractable score like Ravel's Gaspard. But it will increase your anxiety level during performances - trembling, shaking etc - so I wouldn't recommend it for piano exams or recitals, especially if you already suffer from performance anxiety (like me).

So, coffee is (or rather, contains) a strong drug (or not, as the case may be). Use it with discretion........ thumb

Me, I just drink it.

I went to a talk once by Frank Shorter who explained that until the '70s marathon runners were not allowed to take any fluids at all during a race because it was "cheating". After the IAAF backed away from that idea runners were allowed to take water or a sports drink at certain points during the race. Except at the time there weren't any sports drinks yet, so the marathoner's drink of choice was flat coke, which had sugar and caffeine. It's all different now.

PhilipInChina #2702622 01/06/18 12:44 PM
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
There is a correlation (not to be confused with causation) between coffee intake and mortality and it follows an upside-down U-shaped curve. Too much or too little coffee correlated with higher mortality. The sweet spot was roughly between 3-5 cups a day.

Coffe Intake and Mortality

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

David Farley #2702655 01/06/18 02:56 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by David Farley

I went to a talk once by Frank Shorter who explained that until the '70s marathon runners were not allowed to take any fluids at all during a race because it was "cheating". After the IAAF backed away from that idea runners were allowed to take water or a sports drink at certain points during the race. Except at the time there weren't any sports drinks yet, so the marathoner's drink of choice was flat coke, which had sugar and caffeine. It's all different now.

Not all sports drinks contain caffeine - the London Marathon uses one that doesn't (Lucozade Sport, which contains unnecessary vitamins instead). But it's better to ingest the caffeine about one hour before the race, rather than during it. I use caffeine tablets for my races - four tablets of 50mg each - rather than a caffeinated drink, because I don't want to risk a stomach upset while running. Apparently, 3mg of caffeine per kg bodyweight is the sweet spot.

For those who need an immediate caffeine boost, caffeine chewing gum delivers the goods (because it's absorbed straight into the bloodstream via your mouth) within 5 minutes. That's what soccer clubs give their players during half-time, to reduce the risk of them collapsing from exhaustion before the final whistle...... grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
Stubbie #2703130 01/08/18 10:31 AM
J
J
Originally Posted by Stubbie
There is a correlation (not to be confused with causation) between coffee intake and mortality and it follows an upside-down U-shaped curve. Too much or too little coffee correlated with higher mortality. The sweet spot was roughly between 3-5 cups a day.

Coffe Intake and Mortality

There's also a direct correlation between fatalities/serious bodily injury and people interfering with my acquisition of coffee. That curve looks more like " / "

Currently working on:
Asturia (Leyenda) - Isaac Albeniz
Mia and Sabastian's Theme - Kyle Landry arrangement
also working on some vocal training

PhilipInChina #2703141 01/08/18 11:11 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A day without coffee is "sleep".

Peyton #2703149 01/08/18 11:35 AM
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
A day without coffee is "sleep".
laugh

I think the 'ritual' of coffee is just as important to me as the caffeine boost.* I like my coffee hot. No cream and no sugar. Preferably drunk from my favorite coffee mug. I don't try to drink coffee during my piano practice time, though. The coffee just gets cold.

*I tried switching to tea once or twice and it just wasn't the same. My guesstimate was that I was getting about the same amount of caffeine.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

PhilipInChina #2703235 01/08/18 04:07 PM
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I am told tea gives a different kind of caffeine.

So, what do I know? Am I a caffeinologist>?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
PhilipInChina #2703255 01/08/18 05:06 PM
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Caffeine from tea vs. coffee: the caffeine is the same (by definition or else it would have a different name and chemical formula) and its receptors would not be able to distinguish the source (coffee, tea, cola, chocolate, pills, etc). There could, theoretically, be some difference in absorption/bioavailability based on the source, though.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

PhilipInChina #2703307 01/08/18 08:41 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No coffee - tea, which I brew and then drink iced - sweet southern iced tea.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Stubbie #2703371 01/09/18 05:49 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
I am told tea gives a different kind of caffeine.

Originally Posted by Stubbie
Caffeine from tea vs. coffee: the caffeine is the same (by definition or else it would have a different name and chemical formula) and its receptors would not be able to distinguish the source (coffee, tea, cola, chocolate, pills, etc). There could, theoretically, be some difference in absorption/bioavailability based on the source, though.

I definitely feel more sensitive to coffee than tea. I drink quite a lot of tea (4-5 cups a day), and 1 or max 2 cups of coffee. My body really notices the cup of coffee!
So I think that (as I take them) I must be getting quite a bit more caffeine from a cup of coffee.

There have been plenty of studies showing health benefits associated with moderate caffeine intake, so this isn't something that I bother worrying about or feeling guilty about.
I do stop my caffeine intake fairly early in the day to avoid impacting sleep quality (which I'd certainly consider a negative from a health and quality of life point of view).

[Linked Image]
cefinow #2703407 01/09/18 10:13 AM
N
N
Originally Posted by cefinow
I love coffee/ I love tea/
I love the java jive and it loves me!

Except when I get a caffeine withdrawal headache. I guess that's the dark side of addiction.

+1

Tritone Pop Keyboard Course - Intro Book
pianovideolessons.com - Unit 3
Alfreds Adult all-in-one Book 1
PhilipInChina #2703411 01/09/18 10:35 AM
I'm a programmer in my day job, so caffeine consumption is practically in the job description. I usually average about 3 cups per weekday (less on weekends), but I stick to decaffeinated drinks after 7:30pm.

PhilipInChina #2703462 01/09/18 02:22 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I used to be a really heavy booze drinker until quitting 7 yrs ago. I confess that I now have the same “taste” or desire, if you will, for coffee and diet sodas. Maybe it’s addictive personality but I’m also hooked on music so it’s not all bad. I’m with Sam on the iced tea as well.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
PhilipInChina #2703640 01/10/18 08:50 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I got temporarily hooked on brewed coffee, after a friend returned from Costa Rica bearing gifts of bags of coffee. When she found out that I was an "instant coffee" person, and had no way of using the Costa Rican coffee… she thoughtfully provided me with a coffee machine as well!

I found out that the stuff is a lot more addictive than instant. A cup of brewed seemed in some weird way, to be alive or have a personality of its own. And flavor! It didn't help that I always, accidentally/deliberately, made it way too strong, black as black. (Whoops, guess I'll just add more cream.) I added a second cup to breakfast... then at lunchtime as well, then mid-afternoon, and then suppertime.

I looked at the coffee machine one day and thought, This coffee craze is going nowhere but around in circles. So I washed it out one final time and set it in a corner of my kitchen. Back to my utilitarian instant granules… One ordinary, unassuming cup is all I need at breakfast time, and it doesn't ask any more of me than that, or try to go beyond its bounds…

(I am feeling headachy and lethargic, and a small cup of weak instant helps with the worst of that, but that shouldn't last long.)

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission