Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
67 registered members (augustm, ando, alphonsus, AZNpiano, AndyP, 19 invisible), 1,033 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2701282 - 01/01/18 08:28 PM Sight-reading challenge for 2018  
Colin Dunn Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Dunn  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Arvada, CO
My piano teacher has said I need to devote more time to sight-reading, so I am challenging myself during 2018 to sight-read at least one piece per day. So I am inviting others to join in if they feel inspired to try this as well.

Rules are similar to MOYD:
- Get to the piano and sight-read at least one piece per day
- Illness or travel are exceptions
- If you forget, your winning streak breaks and you start up again the next day
- At the end of the year, I'll see if I managed to do this 365 days in a row, or if not ... what was my longest uninterrupted streak of sight-reading before falling off?

Colin Dunn
2018 Sight-Reading Challenge Longest Winning Streak: 4 days
Organizer, Denver Area Piano Group (https://www.meetup.com/Denver-Area-Piano-Group/)

Starr Artist Grand
Kimball 6750
Schafer & Sons SS-69
Samick SG-225
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2701283 - 01/01/18 08:29 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
Colin Dunn Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Dunn  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Arvada, CO
For 1/1/2018, I sight-read three pieces by Gary Girouard:

Invictus
Nexus
Forbidden Love

All three seemed a tad more difficult than I thought when just looking at the music. Some of these pieces had a lot of notes four or five lines above or below the staff, as well as frequent clef changes in the left hand.

"Invictus" was particularly nice so I'll start working on that one (while I sight-read other stuff as 2018 progresses).

Last edited by Colin Dunn; 01/01/18 08:44 PM.

Colin Dunn
Organizer, Denver Area Piano Group (https://www.meetup.com/Denver-Area-Piano-Group/)

Starr Artist Grand
Kimball 6750
Schafer & Sons SS-69
Samick SG-225
#2701291 - 01/01/18 08:37 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
QuinGold Offline
QuinGold  Offline

New Mexico
This is a great idea! I don't do MOYD (will check it out) but I do need to sightread more. I even downloaded some iPad apps.

The rules for MOYD seem to be that you check in when you missed a day. Then you start counting again. I assume that is the rule here too

[Linked Image]
Yamaha DGX-660 / Pianoteq / Arturia
#2701292 - 01/01/18 08:42 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
Colin Dunn Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Dunn  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Arvada, CO
My thought about checking in is: check in if you miss a day, and optionally check in if you want to use this thread to log your sight-reading selections. I am going to check in frequently and update with a list of what pieces I'm reading through.

Colin Dunn

Starr Artist Grand
Kimball 6750
Schafer & Sons SS-69
Samick SG-225
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2701360 - 01/02/18 05:37 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
Qazsedcft Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Warsaw, Poland
I like the idea although I'm already sightreading every day so it's kind of a duplication of MOYD. Do we get to have cool badges at the end of the year? grin

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
#2701375 - 01/02/18 06:28 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
SuzyUpright Offline
SuzyUpright  Offline

+ 1 for cool badges!

I've resolved to sightread everyday this year as well, so this thread would be a great support smile
More and more I'm having to face how much my poor reading skills are an obstacle to reaching my goals.

I was planning on using the hymnal book approach, I picked one up a few months back at the thrift store. The score is smaller then I'm used to, but I've heard that this can also be a benefit. My only doubt is that while the music seems fairly simple and within my limited skill, it probably isn't the recommended couple grades below present sight-reading level ( which is probably grade one at best! )

I still think it will be ok though....and it's certainly a convenient, free source.

I did my first page yesterday smile

#2701376 - 01/02/18 06:35 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: SuzyUpright]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by SuzyUpright
+ 1 for cool badges!

I've resolved to sightread everyday this year as well, so this thread would be a great support smile
More and more I'm having to face how much my poor reading skills are an obstacle to reaching my goals.

I was planning on using the hymnal book approach, I picked one up a few months back at the thrift store. The score is smaller then I'm used to, but I've heard that this can also be a benefit. My only doubt is that while the music seems fairly simple and within my limited skill, it probably isn't the recommended couple grades below present sight-reading level ( which is probably grade one at best! )

I still think it will be ok though....and it's certainly a convenient, free source.

I did my first page yesterday smile

Hi Suzy
Just to make sure there is not a misunderstanding: we should be able to sight read at about two grade levels below our current level. That should be the final goal. But there is nothing wrong at all about your using the hymnal to practice sight reading Even if it is not two grades below where you are. You will just not be proficient at sight reading it for the first time, but you will improve by doing this...... and that is really the goal

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
#2701391 - 01/02/18 08:33 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
SuzyUpright Offline
SuzyUpright  Offline

Yes thank you dogperson! I misspoke...

#2701430 - 01/02/18 10:50 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: dogperson]  
Colin Dunn Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Dunn  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Arvada, CO
I've wondered about sight-reading two grades below your current level. Does that mean being able to perform accurately when reading the first time? Or just not overwhelming yourself with difficult sight-reading material?

The three pieces I read yesterday would be around Grade 6-7 difficulty. I was nowhere near ready to perform the pieces. I'm trying to sight-read music in the genres I like to play and decide which pieces I want to practice / learn fully.

Colin Dunn

Starr Artist Grand
Kimball 6750
Schafer & Sons SS-69
Samick SG-225
#2701445 - 01/02/18 11:35 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
SwissMS Online content
2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
For exams one is expected to read two grades below their current level. The reading should be fluent, with correct rhythm, mostly accurate notes, and with shaping and dynamics for a good score. That does not mean that the piece is ready to perform. I think the idea is that if your sight reading is keeping up with you playing level, you should be able to read a piece that is two grades below the level that you play. I found my sight reading to be lagging that, and so I began sight reading at a level that was easy, and worked my way up to that. The key is to keep going, and not correct notes. Accurate rhythm is the first priority.

#2701453 - 01/02/18 11:56 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
Colin Dunn Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Dunn  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Arvada, CO
In that case, my sight-reading has largely "kept up" - I don't find ~Grade 4 pieces too difficult to sight-read but most of what I play for prepared pieces would be equivalent to Grade 6.

Colin Dunn

Starr Artist Grand
Kimball 6750
Schafer & Sons SS-69
Samick SG-225
#2701480 - 01/02/18 01:24 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
cefinow Offline
500 Post Club Member
cefinow  Offline
500 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Excellent idea and very much in line with my own goals. However, it would suit me better to enlist on a month-to-month basis! So I'll sign up for January! Ya never know... I might just putter through till December '18, but at least I have an escape clause. whistle

#2701510 - 01/02/18 03:08 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
gingko2 Offline
gingko2  Offline

MA, USA
Great idea to model this on MOYD!

I had resolved this year to do 10 minutes of sight-reading or playing by ear each day. I can see that doing both, maybe not for 10 minutes each, might be a good daily habit. I wouldn't want to keep track of what I sight-read, recordkeeping distracts me from practice. Hmm, though maybe working through an entire graded collection, such as Mikrokomos or Masterpiece Classics and others, might be the way to approach it. Otherwise, I'm content if I just sight-read anything everyday.

Levels are partly subjective. We all have different strengths and weaknesses. Even though I play pieces at the RCM 7 or higher levels, I still have some trouble reading some Level 3's--especially if they're at a fast tempo or have big jumps. Reading lots of music is helpful for finding your technical weaknesses.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

CW 1500, Kawai CA63
#2701530 - 01/02/18 04:08 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
SadieLady Offline
SadieLady  Offline

South Carolina
I’m in. My sight reading is atrocious. I’m committing to sight reading something every day. I have Hannah Smith's sight reading book, I'll do a page of that a day then figure out something else when I get through it.

What I wondered though is how do you measure to see if you actually got any better. So this is bearing my soul for sure.

I’ve recorded two pieces. I randomly opened some old John Thompson’s piano books, second grade and third grade and recorded the pages I landed on. I’ll record again the end of the year and see if they are any better.

John Thompson’s Modern Course for the Piano, Second Grade: Minuet from “Don Giovanni” Mozart, G Major, page 38
Soundcloud

John Thompson’s Modern Course for the Piano, Third Grade: Witches’ Dance, Th. Kullak, Op. 4, No. 2, A Minor, page 14
Soundcloud

Last edited by SadieLady; 01/02/18 04:11 PM.

In progress:
Chopin Waltz in A Minor

#2701605 - 01/02/18 10:33 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
Colin Dunn Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Dunn  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Arvada, CO
I read through two Greg Maroney pieces this evening:

Along the Codorus
Always

These came from a big book where the pieces are in alphabetical order. So tomorrow's update will probably follow in the A-B range. smile

Colin Dunn

Starr Artist Grand
Kimball 6750
Schafer & Sons SS-69
Samick SG-225
#2701867 - 01/03/18 05:56 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
SuzyUpright Offline
SuzyUpright  Offline

Hmmm....I hadn't considered that the hymnal is probably composed for organ ( duh ), there are a lot tenths in the left hand.
I don't know how well a score meant for organ translates to piano . Maybe I'll switch to something else...

#2701886 - 01/03/18 07:06 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: SuzyUpright]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Hmmm....I hadn't considered that the hymnal is probably composed for organ ( duh ), there are a lot tenths in the left hand.
I don't know how well a score meant for organ translates to piano . Maybe I'll switch to something else...

Hi Suzy
The standard hymnal does not have annotations for organists, and Is used by pianists. Remember, you are working on rhythm and general credibility, so there is nothing wrong with your adapting Any large chords as you sight read. In fact, recognizing the chord And how it can be adapted quickly is a great skill to have.

P.S. In case you’re curious, I have a long history of playing hymns in churches...Mainly on the piano

Last edited by dogperson; 01/03/18 07:40 PM.
#2701927 - 01/03/18 09:54 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: dogperson]  
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted by dogperson

Hi Suzy
The standard hymnal does not have annotations for organists, and Is used by pianists. Remember, you are working on rhythm and general credibility, so there is nothing wrong with your adapting Any large chords as you sight read. In fact, recognizing the chord And how it can be adapted quickly is a great skill to have.

P.S. In case you’re curious, I have a long history of playing hymns in churches...Mainly on the piano

I play something out of the Methodist Hymnal, Keyboard Edition (which comes in a 3-ring binder) practically every day. It's one of the best music purchases I've ever made. The hymns aren't written any differently than they are in the hard bound edition, but it's far easier to keep open. There are very few hymns with impossible reaches, although one has to learn how to throw lines back and forth and refinger on the fly sometimes, which is part of the fun. I've also written down all the numbers for the Ralph Vaughan Williams material taken out of the English Hymnal and the hymns harmonized by Bach, so if I just want to work on those I can. The Vaughan Williams harmonizations can be really thorny because he really didn't write them down for keyboard playing at all. Bach was a little nicer.

#2701934 - 01/03/18 11:07 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
Colin Dunn Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Dunn  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Arvada, CO
Had a bad day at work, but squeezed in one sight-reading piece this evening: "Anime" by Greg Maroney.

Colin Dunn

Starr Artist Grand
Kimball 6750
Schafer & Sons SS-69
Samick SG-225
#2701985 - 01/04/18 04:19 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
SuzyUpright Offline
SuzyUpright  Offline

@dogperson: Thanks for clarifying that for me smile I will stick with the hymnal now that I have reassurance that it's suitable. I'm really enjoying the harmonies!
David is right about it being a pain to keep open though....I'm going to have to get clips of some kind.
Too bad about the bad day Colin, but pat on the back for keeping your goal!

#2702223 - 01/04/18 10:33 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
Colin Dunn Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Dunn  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Arvada, CO
Today, I sight-read "At Last" by Greg Maroney. This was a long one, 263 measures, so it almost felt like doing 2-3 pieces. Whew. Still on track...

Colin Dunn

Starr Artist Grand
Kimball 6750
Schafer & Sons SS-69
Samick SG-225
#2702239 - 01/05/18 01:42 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
pianofan1017 Offline
pianofan1017  Offline

I like this idea although I am already doing this currently. Also +1 for the cool badge at the end of the year.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
#2702357 - 01/05/18 11:12 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
cefinow Offline
500 Post Club Member
cefinow  Offline
500 Post Club Member

North Carolina
So far so good. My streak began when I posted my 2018 goals, on December 30th.

My jazz lessons are requiring a lot of lead sheet playing, and my classical lessons are only long-term pieces, so my sight reading definitely needs a kick from somewhere. Great thread.

My thought for the day is from a former piano teacher, who was an ace sight reader. (He still is, but now he's a few hundred miles away.)

"Most people who try to get better at sight reading, don't pick pieces that are easy enough for them."

"Easy enough" !

How's that to add to the concept of challenge… Not, is it hard or challenging enough, but is it *easy* enough!

I thought of this the other night at 11PM as I was making my way through a Brahms waltz with five sharps. Lol

I'm not willing to give up my challenging reading, but I will add back in some very elementary pieces. Oddly enough, you can pick up (and hopefully work on) specific reading weaknesses on the really simple stuff, because it's so out in the open.

#2702372 - 01/05/18 12:02 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
AprilE Offline
AprilE  Offline

BC, Canada
I found the same as cefinow - getting into jazz and lead sheets has led to my sightreading going downhill.

A year or two ago, someone mentioned a free hymnal download that I found good for sightreading practice. Now I've mislaid the link. Does anyone have that link, I wonder?

April
#2702374 - 01/05/18 12:16 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: AprilE]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by AprilE
I found the same as cefinow - getting into jazz and lead sheets has led to my sightreading going downhill.

A year or two ago, someone mentioned a free hymnal download that I found good for sightreading practice. Now I've mislaid the link. Does anyone have that link, I wonder?

I’m not sure if this is the link you’re looking for, but hymnary.org is a good resource
https://hymnary.org/browse/popular

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
#2702378 - 01/05/18 12:35 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: AprilE]  
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted by AprilE

LDS has their hymnal available for download. They also have some other instructional stuff available. (Click back to the "Music Library" page.)

https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns?lang=eng

I believe there might be some older scanned hymnals on IMSLP.

#2702401 - 01/05/18 02:33 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
Qazsedcft Online content
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Warsaw, Poland
I find hymns are only useful up to a certain point. They are good to learn to recognize chords and understand voice leading but they contain a very limited number of patterns and they never exhibit anything more than very basic rhythm. After a while it's all the same. I think it's much better to play a variety of music in many different styles than to go through a whole hymnal page by page (and I've done both).

My favorite resource is the RCM Four Star series. I can honestly say that my sight reading has improved over the last half year since I started using the books.

#2702512 - 01/05/18 10:15 PM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
AprilE Offline
AprilE  Offline

BC, Canada
Thank you, David! The one I had before was a single download, rather than separate files for each hymn, but this can certainly work.

Q, I agree that variety is a good idea, as well as adding interest. Hymns are one source.

April
#2702552 - 01/06/18 03:37 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Colin Dunn]  
Qazsedcft Online content
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Warsaw, Poland
I thought it would be a good idea to share some tips in this thread since we're all here to improve sight reading. The following is a quote from the Paul Harris thread:

Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
There is really one main secret that one needs to know to become good sight reader: learn the next bar while you're playing the current bar.

This is more easily said than done. One way I practiced this is to read one measure at a time, close your eyes, and try to play the measure from memory. When you can do that quickly then try overlapping the memorizing and the playing so that instead of closing your eyes you look at the next measure to memorize it. It's very taxing at first but it definitely helps make sight reading more fluent. If you can't do whole measures try a single beat at first.

#2702565 - 01/06/18 05:01 AM Re: Sight-reading challenge for 2018 [Re: Qazsedcft]  
SuzyUpright Offline
SuzyUpright  Offline

That makes complete sense for improving sight reading....but I think I'd have to start with the most basic kindergarten pieces to be able to attempt that ( which is not necessarily a bad thing ).
My question is, would this method be advisable if one's ultimate goal is to simply become a better reader as opposed to a better sight reader?
No doubt it would be a beneficial skill in both cases, but I won't melt my brain unless absolutely necessary smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
action and regulation books
by musicbased. 01/16/18 02:05 AM
Buzzes, help !
by Piano Valentine. 01/15/18 09:18 PM
Hi. It’s been awhile. . .
by JeanieA. 01/15/18 08:39 PM
How much piano do I really need
by dcupright. 01/15/18 08:09 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,805
Posts2,687,466
Members89,459
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission