2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
David-G Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
I thought this thread from the Digital Pianos Forum might benefit from a reference here.

Originally Posted by CyberGene

When searching for various digital piano related stuff on Google I used to get many Pianoworld results as top results. Well, not anymore! If i search for whatever with Kawai in it, even exact thread names such as my own “Kawai ES9 wishlist” or even targeting Pianoworld domain like “ES9 site:.pianoworld.com” and I get only one result which is not what I’m looking for.

What’s going on? Is my Google wrong? Is Pianoworld wrong? Is this intentional after those leaks. If so, I find it wrong because it’s the forum that will not get attention. If owners are OK with people redirected to other websites.

P.S. It seems to not be related to Kawai only results. No Google results are returned for Pianoworld at all. False Kawai conspiracy alarm on my side wink Changing the thread name as well.

I have just tried a few searches myself - on "piano cantilevered bridge", and "bluthner patent action" for example. Searching with Bing brings up various Piano World threads. Searching with Google does not. What is going on? I originally discovered Piano World by using Google. If Google is not returning Piano World threads in its searches, that is quite serious, is it not?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I noticed this same issue a few weeks ago, but didn't mention it on the forums. I was looking for info in an old PW thread and getting nothing from Google. I thought maybe there was a problem with my computer. It's like Google is ignoring/not recognizing Piano World for some reason.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
W
W
I'm having the same issue, and as recently as 3 weeks ago I was getting pages of results for a given search, now just a small handful. Is this what net non-neutrality looks like?

Wes Lachot Design Group
www.weslachot.com
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Google had this strategy from the beginning - get people addicted to their stuff, then gradually phase in payment for everything. For this to work, they needed to convince people that using other alternatives was going to leave them out of the loop and fringe dwellers in society. They have followed the same model for entities they have purchased, like Youtube, which was ad free until it became massively dominant in video media. Then they pulled the trigger and brought in the ads - and now we are all watching ads, whilst still feeling it's worth it because we are hooked on the platform.

Google's search engine is the same - they wanted total market dominance (which they got), before they brought in the targeted searching and sponsored links. Now, most businesses are paying fairly hefty money to be on the first page of google - and the actual relevance of search results is appalling compared to what it was before Google went with paid services. Google also tied all of this in with their Android platform and obligatory Google email accounts (also containing targeted advertising) which are used with those devices to make them properly functional. You've got to hand it to them in a way - they played the long game and got us hooked like junkies and now they are collecting on their previous "goodwill".

Don't be surprised if Googles bots are filtering out pages with critical things to say about Google too...Even if they appear on sponsored sites.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Wes Lachot
I'm having the same issue, and as recently as 3 weeks ago I was getting pages of results for a given search, now just a small handful. Is this what net non-neutrality looks like?

Yes, it's exactly what it looks like. Any politician who supports that should be voted out of office.

A
A

Originally Posted by ando

Yes, it's exactly what it looks like. Any politician who supports that should be voted out of office.

I’m regularly amazed how easily people pontificate about subjects they don’t seem to understand. And so easily come to embrace government control and totalitarianism.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I searched google for my "Fully Tempered Duplex Scale" and no more results shown for the extensive PW thread on the subject.

The results for the PTG Pianotech forum are still front and center as they were in the past. Don't think PTG pays Google for preferential treatment

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 12/30/17 11:14 PM. Reason: add sentence with more info

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Coincidentally we used to pay hundreds of dollars a month for Google "Ad Words".
Not seeing any monetary return for my investment I cut way back.

The saddest part of this (besides taking traffic away from legitimate sites) is that information is being presented by
the highest bidders, not necessarily the most accurate or sincere sources. A bit like our government is being run.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Agent88

Originally Posted by ando

I’m regularly amazed how easily people pontificate about subjects they don’t seem to understand. And so easily come to embrace government control and totalitarianism.

So, you'd be one of those people who believe in markets driving everything then?

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Pianoworld. Not political world.

Let’s not go there.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Frank, I posted your note over into the Digital Piano forum:
Originally Posted by Piano World
Coincidentally we used to pay hundreds of dollars a month for Google "Ad Words".
Not seeing any monetary return for my investment I cut way back.

Over there people have noted that they're still getting good PW search results when searching on Bing and on DuckDuckGo.
Would it make sense to replace the PW search by directing it to one of those, instead of to Google?

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Time was I would google something for more information or a higher authority and my own pianoworld post would appear first. I recall finding it being quite disappointing.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
I'm glad this is being discussed. Bing works very well using the format:
topic site:pianoworld.com

Pianoworld. Not political world.

Hey, they're just imitating the boss ... smile

A bit like our government is being run.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Interesting, this morning I put the same piano question in both Google and DuckDuckGo. The first thing that popped up in DuckDuckGo was a Pianoworld forum discussion, and there were other Pianoworld links as well. Google showed a Pianostreet link but no Pianoworld. I never realized how different they were. Conclusion. Need to use the DuckDuckGo and Bing search engines more and Google less.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Well, dang. I wrote a song entitled "Google my name if you want to know who I am". smile

I guess I'll have to write another one entitled "Click DuckDuckGo if you want to know". grin

Just kidding...

But I still don't like it because Google ain't recognizing Piano World like it used to.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
F

Silver Supporter until Dec 8 2019

Silver Supporter until Dec 8 2019
F
Over the past few weeks and today as well I noticed that on yahoo search" pianoworld.com" returns a link to the digital forum but only after listing about 9 other websites. Yet, I just tried google with the same search and pianoworld.com was the first entry. On both Bing and DuckDuckGO the first search result was for the digital forum on pianoworks.com with the teachers forum as the third result. Dont think its an issue of paid search. My little analysis seems to indicate the search engines may be picking up the incorrect key words since both Bing and DuckDuckGo directed me to the right website but not the home page...and now, unlike others experience, my google's first result is the pianoworld.com site.....strange....

I'm now writing a song called "You won't find me on Bing 'cause I don't know how to sing." smile
Originally Posted by Rickster
I guess I'll have to write another one entitled "Click DuckDuckGo if you want to know".

P
P
Google obviously considers DuckDuckGo a proper competitor, as I note they have purchased duck.com, as ever to crush competition.

DuckDuckGo need to get a new name and a new domain. The current one is just too long.

It's a shame because Google results are now pretty poor, and the market needs a shakeup.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Actually this has nothing to do with net neutrality. Net neutrality is about the speed with which different sites are delivered, it has nothing to do with search results. The purpose of net neutrality was to protect the big bandwidth users like Netflix and Amazon. It was a regulation on ISP's, not search engines.

I don't see how the FCC would have legal authority to regulate search results, that would have to be a consumer protection agency of some sort. It's a business practices issue, not a communications issue.

The right thing to do immediately is for all of us to stop using google, instead use the other search engines.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission