2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 6 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi,

As I promised you 26th december 2016😀😀😀.....here are your goals you set for 2017.........Check it out and enjoy it....

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2599034/1.html

🌲🍷🌲🍷🎶Happy Christmas 🍷🎶🌲🍷🌲to all of you...

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Johan B
Hi,

As I promised you 26th december 2016😀😀😀

December 26 th, 2017 I will remember you.

You're a man of your word!
I didn't post on the earlier thread, but I have at least started on one of my long-term indefinite goals… To learn to play jazz piano!

PS. I'm definitely thinking about 2018 goals for classical, as I'm in a bit of a funk with my classical lessons/teacher and I need to do something to get out of the holding pattern...

Last edited by cefinow; 12/26/17 02:53 PM.
A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A

2017 goals:
1. MOYD 2017
2. record more and upload to youtube
3. participate in at least 1 quarterly ABF e-recital
4. Stay motivated, get better, have fun!

I got 3 out of 4! I completely failed on #2, since I didn't put anything new on youtube, but I'm ok with that. The most important thing is #4, and I can claim success on that! thumb

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by earlofmar
In November I am taking AMEB's grade 5 exam, some time before that the AMEB grade 3 theory exam as well. This makes setting my 2017 goals easier than previous years, all I have to do is bring everything up to grade 5, how hard could that be?

my goals of 2017 were a series of steps towards my theory and practical exams. Hard to describe but practice had to become less about what I wanted to do and more methodical to reach my goals. I am very pleased to say I passed both exams and for the briefest of moments actually felt like a real pianist grin

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Johan! I enjoy these “year in review “ threads.

So last year’s goals:

1. Stay with MOYD-this will be my eighth year! DONE ( well, I have a few days to go but I think it’s reasonable to expect I will stay on track!)

2. Participate in all the e-citals and at least one themed recital. - Almost. I didn’t manage a themed recital )
3. Participate in at least 2 public performances ( I actually did 4!)
4. Play for others - at least 6 times (husband doesn't count for this, he's my most faithful supporter, but I have to play for people who don't hear me regularly) —-(Managed more on this too , especially in the last quarter of the year!)
5. Continue to work on technique - focused practice, more use of metronome during study for getting fluidity from the start.(Great success on this front. Possibly my best year ever)
6. Follow a system of refreshing pieces so that I have some sort of repertoire
Now I have about 6-7 pieces I can pick up and play. I'm aiming for a total of 20 ( Fell short on this one. I will work on it this coming year)

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
My goals for 2017 were met only by about a half, I think. I'm still happy about my progress this year!

1. Practice about 500 hours.
Nope… as of yesterday I clocked 437 hours. I seem unable to do more than 75 minutes per day on average. Still, not too far away.

2. Complete the 40-pieces-a-year challenge for 2017 and record as many pieces I can.
I completed the challenge with 55 pieces, mainly beginner/intermediate and intermediate. But I recorded only old repertoire and just a handful of new keepers.

3. Learn at least: 1 Bach Invention (Done! no. 4), 1 Scene from Childhood by Schumann (Done x2! no. 4 and no. 7), 1 Prelude by Chopin (Done x2! no. 6 and no. 7).

4. Practice scales/technique once a week (30 minutes).
Done, 28 hours total during the year. But I definitely need to do more.

5. Practice ear training once a week (30 minutes).
Nope, ear training was almost completely neglected.

6. Maintain a small performance-ready repertoire (about 30 minutes) and find chances to play in front of other people.
Half and half - I did the first part and I have a nice line-up of 12 pieces ready, but I never played “for an audience” this year. I took part in all 4 quarterly recitals, though.

7. Start looking for my grand piano! laugh
Nope! Change of plans! The house is far from ready to host a grand piano. But I played a few at Cremona music exhibition and I think I'm in love with Grotrian Steinweg's studio 192 grin

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Goals equals target hit, aim achieved successfully. Maybe "Aims" would be a better word. . . . .A short list, not in any order of importance.

My first aim is to be less pedantic about the correct use of words, many of which I only pretend to know what they mean . . mind you,there's enough foreigners here to put me right about the vagaries of the English language.

Second, is to spend more time at the gym, a mile down the cycle track. I've lost over a stone in weight which in truth, I didn't have to lose . . but what fun! Virtual Cycling. Place full o' women, with a smattering of ole Neanderthals like myself . . .all pedalling furiously and going . . . nowhere!

Third is to develop a reasonable classical repertoire and also be able to play my own tunes . . . time kinda wipes your memory banks very clean indeed lol

Have fun.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Goals equals target hit, aim achieved successfully. Maybe "Aims" would be a better word. . . . .A short list, not in any order of importance.

Oh no! Another language "pet peeve" that I was blissfully unaware of before... and the worst thing is that it makes sense and now it cannot be UN-understood :-(

G
G
Originally Posted by gingko2

1. Continue MOYD and 40 Piece Challenge.

2. Break the bad habit of stopping at wrong notes, etc. keep a steady tempo and no hesitations.

3. Play with less tension and avoid injury.

4. Deliberately practice technique that will improve phrasing.

5. Do some sight-reading at every practice.

6. Learn 3-5 pieces I know my husband would especially love. (He's not easy to please with piano. He likes hearing me play ukulele. This MUST be a continuing effort.)

...new goals:

7. Improve my relationship with the metronome and over all improve my sense of rhythm (especially keeping steady tempos...)

8. Be more deliberate and consistent about practice--that is, practice in sections the way my teacher says. (have made progress but still want to play pieces from beginning to end)

9. Have a comfortable octave reach in both hands by 2018. (almost there..)

10. Perform more--family, friends, recitals inc. ABF

Good luck to everyone with their 2017 goals.

I reached some of my 2017 goals

1. Stuck with MOYD, and to 30 of the 40 pieces a year.

2. Definitely got more friendly with the metronome. Biggest accomplishment of the year???!!!

3. Left hand can reach a comfortable octave, and right hand is almost there.

4. Much progress on being able to play-perform through errors and keeping the rhythm. Yay!!!

5. Practice has gotten more efficient. Been good about doing lesson assignments. Phrasing, expression got better.

Need to work on

6. Pieces for my husband :-)

7. Sight-reading practice

8. Playing for the ABF recitals and even more for friends and family.

Thank you, Johan B!

Last edited by gingko2; 12/27/17 06:01 PM.

[Linked Image]

Hailun HG 178, Charles Walter 1500, Kawai CA63
Originally Posted by cefinow
Originally Posted by peterws

Oh no! Another language "pet peeve" that I was blissfully unaware of before... and the worst thing is that it makes sense and now it cannot be UN-understood :-(

Pet Peeves (or any other peeves for that matter) are what you use whenever you can't think of anything sensible to say . . . .or you can, but you'd rather not say it. . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
I think a great goal would be for PW to have a "real" Beginner's forum.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't think I posted goals in the original thread, but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at compared to this time last year smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by torquenale
My goals for 2017:

1. Complete the 40 pieces challenge
2. Take the ABRSM 5 exam
3. Continue to improve my sight-reading skills
4. Improve my aural skills if I want to pass the exam
5. Play live at my piano school spring recital
6. Contribute to 3 e-recitals
7. Build up a small repertoire of 15-20 minutes

And I hope I will enjoy the journey...

It's been a bad year for me, and piano practice has been heavily affected.
I maintained my MOYD (not even in the list), but I miserably failed on almost everything except 3. and 5.
I abandoned the 40 pieces challenge after a few months, did not take exams and completely neglected aural skills. Not to mention goals 6. and 7.

And the journey has not always been enjoyable, rather a burden for me.

Now things are better and I feel I'm again on the right track.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by torquenale

Now things are better and I feel I'm again on the right track.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a difficult year, and I'm glad that things are getting better. I wish you a wonderful 2018!

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I did not set my goals in 2017. It was a tough year for me. My father was diagnosed as late stage terminal cancer in February and passed away in May. I went back to Japan 4 times to see him last and take care of his affairs after his death. I then parted with my former teacher who I thought was my friend. I just hope for the next year to bring in peace of heart for my grieving mother.

For piano, I do have a goal this year. My new piano teacher recommend me to take RCM grade 10. Since I have busy and demanding job, we decided to split it over 2 years. This year I will do techniques and 2 étude only and will take piano pieces from 5 periods next year. I haven't done scales, arp etc for years. So it is a serious challenge. But it's much cheaper than going back to college ($25k a year + lesson fees). It will take me 2 years to finish. I also don't think I'm a college material anymore (it's hard for me to be completely obedient to any teacher all the time).

So my goals is to pass the technique part of the exam. Also I have an audition come up to be a volunteer pianist at a cancer center here. I have to prepare 10 min of easy listening pieces. It has been my dream to use piano to do something good. Please send me your positive energy. I need that.

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi pianofriends,

Nice to read your reviews. And in all those stories we can read that this forum is more than pianostories. That's good! We're among (music)friends. Members tell also about their good and bad things in 2017.

Farmgirl, I feel sorry for your lost, wish you can handle this event,
Torquenale, I'm glad your life is going better now,
Jazzy Mac, understand your statement, but believe me, whatever everybodys level is, we're among pianolovers and there is mostly respect for every member,
Gingko2, what do you mean with ' Pieces for my husband :-) ' grin grin,
peterws, mmm...nice,you will be less critical about language for my Enghlish is also not perfect..... grin and be happy there are more Neanderthals... grin,
sinophelia and casinitaly great results in 2017.....I think it's the result of your sunny climate in Italy, or the tastefull food or wine...,
earlofmar, great....exams passed,
ajames, Moyd 2017.......me too,
cefinow, of course, when I promised something, I will do...... grin
bSharpCyclist, you succeed in making progress thumb

What about me? I did my summer-organ-perfomances in Juli-September. Met a nice soprano and gave some small performances together. We played aria's of Handel and Bach and some smaller songs. Made some appointments for organplaying in some churches, weekly april-oktober. So, my musicyear was great.
I decided in September for a partly retirement; only working two days a week. In September I will stop working at my college and will be 'an old man' grin Think about more playing somewhere and some private piano/organlessons for beginners.

I think I will start a new thread for music-goals at december 31th

Wish you all the best for 2018 much music and pianofun......

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 12/29/17 09:41 AM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Johan B, don't think of yourself as an "old man." You are a budding retiree in your infancy!

JazzyMac, I hope you can find some benefit from this site. Your use of quotation marks around the word "real" had me concerned. My own experience is that frequenting this site has been the greatest aid to my development at piano. I joined this forum immediately upon taking up piano, and have actively participated through the 2.5 years since. I am self taught, have made good progress, and use this site as my main source of information, instruction, and guidance. So, from my personal experience, I know that this site CAN be beneficial.

If your experience differs, please consider participating more. The group here has always been very helpful addressing the needs and questions of us early beginners. I have felt free to ask questions, offer my opinions and ideas, and question the ideas of others, and never with any fear that I might suffer condescension or other mistreatment as a result. I have always been treated with respect and consideration.

If you can identify things about the forum that bother you, please raise the issues in a thread. I think most members here would rather consider and address a deficiency than to ignore it and neglect those who are troubled by the same. Please let us know.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I did pretty well on my goals this year. Hopefully next year will go as well!

1. Find a new teacher here in Spain. I found a fantastic teacher, and have really benefited for her help
2. Continue with Spanish lessons and speak at least at B2 level. Not quite. I am A2 level.
3. Take the ABRSM grade 7 exam. Done and passed with merit!
4. Improve my aural skills so I am not terrified of the grade 7 aural exam. I passed the aural, but I still have more work to do.
5. Do the 40 piece challenge primarily with pieces at ABRSM grade 6 and above. Done, but I was unable to record them all
6. Do MOYD again. Done
7. Have fun with my new piano! Oh yeah!!!

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano,

Well said grin

Swiss MS

Congrats to your new piano, thumbwhat brand or type?

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 12/29/17 03:38 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Johan B

[b]Swiss MS

Congrats for your new piano, thumbwhat brand or type?
Best regards,
Johan B

It is a Bosendorfer 214VC. I truly love it! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission