2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2697518 12/17/17 01:49 AM
V
OP Offline
V
Hi, anyone here is a fan of new age piano music? smile

I would like to ask for your opinion: Is new age piano music powerful enough? I mean, for example, does it have enough emotion to move your heart?

Like many other students, I'm also a classical trained piano player. Many pieces, especially Chopin's, have touched my heart and make me want to listen to them almost everyday. I feel that the complexity of the pieces makes classical music even more amazing and beautiful.

However, as I started to listen to new age music, especially Yiruma's, I found that although it's not as complex as classical, it gives me so much emotion. I realized that what makes it so beautiful was the melody. Even simple melody arrangement can also touch my heart. This inspires me to become a piano composer.

In the beginning, I still tried to add a little complexity to my composition. After a while, I started to focus more on the melody and make it more simple. To my surprise, the simple composition somehow makes me teary while listening to.

So, go back to the question, is new age piano music powerful enough? Let me know what you think. Every opinion is welcomed. Thanks a lot smile

If you want to listen to my composition, here is the link:

More complex: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_MAy4Ifls4
More simple: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iIus53DV3UI

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for posting the links to your music, Vindhie Lin. I am currently listening to all 12 of the pieces you put up as your album "Our Home". Id new age music powerful enough? I say yes!

There are people who say they can play the blues. Instead of really getting into and understanding that genre, they learn a few blues scales, the 12 bar form, and just bang away at it. That isn't the blues.

The same seems to be true of new age music. Those who understand the genre, really get into it, make music. Those who think of it as not worth really understanding, will pick up a few licks and just noodle with it.

So, to me, there is the difference between what can be "powerful enough" and what is not. Both blues and new age music are very emotional, rather than intellectual. Your music is "powerful enough", very melodic and definitely not noodling.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
V
OP Offline
V
Hi Tony, I totally agree with your saying that blues and new age are very emotional rather than intellectual. Indeed, I feel that the emotion is the one which makes them powerful.

Many many thanks for your comment and for listening to my musics. It motivates me to continue to do my best !! smile

Vindhie

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I believe that whatever style/genre/music moves you is powerful. I first started listening to New Age Music back in the early 80's with the Windham Hill Label. The original music and arrangements by the artists on this label did what all other genres of music have done for me: taken me to a special place, opened my ears, solicited emotion from me. As for simplicity or complexity, I don't believe that one or the other determines what is "powerful enough" musically. It is all subjective - we love what we love.

I look forward to listening to your compositions later today when I have the time. Thank you for your post.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Back in the very late 70s or early 80s, there was a local station that played new age music. The two labels most featured at the time were Narada and Windham Hill. I really enjoyed that music and collected most of those early CDs, especially those featuring solo piano or solo guitar.

That station, unfortunately, switched to standard fare pop music, but then along came Music From the Hearts of Space on Sunday mornings. I learned about a number of artists through that show and added many to my CD collection. Again, unfortunately, that program ceased being carried on our local stations after a year or so.

I find out about new age artists on the internet, and am able (usually) to either purchase their music directly from their own sites or from cdbaby.com. My favorite solo piano artist has been Michele McLaughlin for some time now. I have watched some of her concerts live online and have all of her albums on CD, along with her PDF sheet music book for each album.

There are several other artists I enjoy too, and do seem to find new (to me) artists from time to time.

I had been looking for piano lessons that were a more direct route to learning to compose and play in this style as I learn to play piano. I have found two:

https://www.soundofemotions.com/

www.quiescencemusic.com/

Of the two, my preference is for soundofemotions.com. I can't say one is necessarily better than another, but instead it is a matter of matching teaching style to student for best fit.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
V
OP Offline
V
Wow, I have checked Windham Hill and Michele Mclaughlin, both are truly amazing !! They are automatically added to my favourite music list smile

Thanks for all the sharing and opinions ^^

Vindhie

Last edited by Vindhie Lin; 12/18/17 12:46 AM.
V
OP Offline
V
For those who are also Yiruma fans and want to know more about him, I found this interview conducted by Stefania Meneghella.

http://www.kosmomagazine.it/yiruma-the-place-where-the-love-was-born-posto-nasce-lamore/

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission