Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
75 registered members (accordeur, cathryn999, Alex873, AaronSF, bsntn99, Blues beater, Bruce In Philly, 16 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lowest latency? Scarlett 2i2 mk2 vs Rubix 22 vs UR22 mk2 [Re: mcoll] #2694536
12/05/17 03:49 PM
12/05/17 03:49 PM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Europe
Yes, I really wasn't expecting the unusual buffer size. I was hoping 64 was a given. Anyhow, in theory that only puts me 0.3ms higher than what I previously had, and during playing I didn't encounter any pops or clicks, even with two open browsers and tens of open tabs (maybe over a hundred). I don't know what the end to end latency is and if it would be significantly better with a different card, but it appears pretty stable at the moment. There may be a slight latency difference or it may just be my impression. The initial pops and clicks from the "stress testing" never appeared in actual playing.

I can connect the Nanoface to the monitors, but the Nanoface doesn't have balanced outputs and the monitors don't have the sensitivity adjusted on the RCA inputs (it should be -10dB) so they amplify a lot of noise, while I have to keep the volume on the DAC to a very low lever if I don't want ear damage. That's why I thought it may be time to get a DAC with balanced outputs (and not spend 50 euros upwards DI boxes).

All in all, the Rubix seems to do the job and I still have a week or so of testing it, so I would still like to know what to expect from other interfaces in this budget. The Scarlett mk2 touts very low latency for instance. I took note of the UR22, thank you! smile

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Lowest latency? Scarlett 2i2 mk2 vs Rubix 22 vs UR22 mk2 [Re: mcoll] #2694999
12/07/17 06:10 AM
12/07/17 06:10 AM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Europe
And thank you very much, newer_player for that article! I finally got around to reading it all. It certainly would've been an useful read before purchasing a new interface and cables. I shall experiment one of these days with the Nanoface and unbalanced to balanced connections. I wish I had a solder gun to play around, but for the time being I'll just use the cables that I currently own and see what the result is (RCA -> Mono TS jack achieves one of the setups recommended in the article), just out of curiosity.
I still have time to test the Rubix for a bit. For the time being it appears to handle itself as it should, despite the weird buffer size.

Re: Lowest latency? Scarlett 2i2 mk2 vs Rubix 22 vs UR22 mk2 [Re: mcoll] #2696485
12/12/17 02:54 PM
12/12/17 02:54 PM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Europe
Aaaand, back with an update.
Despite the reported latency of 1.8ms (vs 1.5ms on the old interface) in Pianoteq, I could feel a difference in latency, so other elements in the total latency were probably higher. Also, last evening when I tried connecting the Rubix with a longer USB cable, to place it close to the piano and be able to connect my headphones to it, it simply wouldn't work. It would work for a couple of moments with pops and clicks and then crash, or it would crash from the start. I tried with two different cables of 3 and 4 meters, of good quality, both of which worked without problem on the old interface.
So today I sent the interface back. I've had enough. I found a reasonable deal on a UR22 mkII, and while it's not a bargain, I hope it will work as it should this time. I'll be back with impressions.

PS. Now I understand why thomann doesn't stock the rubix anymore. I'm sure they had their fair share of returns given my experience with it.

Last edited by mcoll; 12/12/17 02:55 PM.
Re: Lowest latency? Scarlett 2i2 mk2 vs Rubix 22 vs UR22 mk2 [Re: mcoll] #2696676
12/13/17 09:58 AM
12/13/17 09:58 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
I was going to suggest the Presonus Audiobox. It used to be $150, but these days it sells for $100.
But I see your UR22 is only $120 from some online dealers.
Good stuff doesn't cost much anymore.

There is one other possibility. Are you amenable to used equipment on Ebay? When the Presonus box retailed for $150 I got mine on Ebay for $72. Cheap!
That was six years ago and it still works fine. Originally on Windows XP. Then Win 7. Now Win 10.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: Lowest latency? Scarlett 2i2 mk2 vs Rubix 22 vs UR22 mk2 [Re: mcoll] #2696693
12/13/17 11:07 AM
12/13/17 11:07 AM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Europe
Wow, Presonus really supported that interface for a long time. Impressive!

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I'm fine with ebay (or the local equivalent of craig's list). The UR22 mkII that I'm getting is used, but with over a year of warranty left on it and I'm paying ~85$ on it. So I hope I'll find it works well enough, or I can sell it without taking a significant hit.

Re: Lowest latency? Scarlett 2i2 mk2 vs Rubix 22 vs UR22 mk2 [Re: mcoll] #2696716
12/13/17 12:32 PM
12/13/17 12:32 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by mcoll
Also, last evening when I tried connecting the Rubix with a longer USB cable, to place it close to the piano and be able to connect my headphones to it, it simply wouldn't work. It would work for a couple of moments with pops and clicks and then crash, or it would crash from the start. I tried with two different cables of 3 and 4 meters, of good quality, both of which worked without problem on the old interface.

Sorry to hear you had such problems with the gear. USB cables have been causing me way more trouble than they should as well. I had an external HDD that was misbehaving (frequent disconnects/reconnects) that turned out to be an issue with a (brand new) 3m cable I was using. Replacing it with a 1m cable completely solved the problem. I bought a new 3m cable and the problem came back, but with less frequency.

As speed/throughput increases, I think electronics just become more sensitive to variations in signal/timing in components like interconnects.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Lowest latency? Scarlett 2i2 mk2 vs Rubix 22 vs UR22 mk2 [Re: mcoll] #2696734
12/13/17 01:30 PM
12/13/17 01:30 PM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Europe
Well, I wasn't completely pleased with the interface even when it did (partially) work, as it behaved worse than my previous one and had compatibility issues due to the unusual buffer size. I was going to keep it till this last drop with the USB cable that didn't allow me to place it close enough for headphone usage.
As it is, tomorrow I get to see if the Steinberg will also work with the long cables, as my old interface did, or if I should just get a headphone extension cord, though I'd rather avoid that because the first one I tried affected the sound way more than I expected.
At least, if I have to look for an expensive USB cable, I'll know that it's for an interface worth keeping, hopefully.

Last edited by mcoll; 12/13/17 01:31 PM.
Re: Lowest latency? Scarlett 2i2 mk2 vs Rubix 22 vs UR22 mk2 [Re: mcoll] #2696888
12/14/17 06:15 AM
12/14/17 06:15 AM
U
UpalS Offline
UpalS  Offline
U

Can you tell if you have any problem using headphones with the steinberg ? (low volume seems to be an issue around the net)
Thanks !

Re: Lowest latency? Scarlett 2i2 mk2 vs Rubix 22 vs UR22 mk2 [Re: UpalS] #2697824
12/18/17 05:35 AM
12/18/17 05:35 AM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Europe
I'm back with an update. The Steinberg UR22 mkII finally arrived, with some delays due to shipping. It works as expected, with both the 3 and 4m USB cables with which my Nanoface worked, but the Rubix crashed.
I set it at 44kHz, 64 samples buffer and PT reports a latency of 1.5ms (same as the Nanoface), and Steinberg's control panel reports an output latency of 5.3ms. I've had no pops or clicks, everything appears to be working well.

Originally Posted by UpalS
Can you tell if you have any problem using headphones with the steinberg ? (low volume seems to be an issue around the net)
Thanks !

The headphones sound great, but I do have some easy-to-drive 32ohms headphones (Samson SR850). They can be driven loud enough by the on-board sound card. When connected to a Samsung S7, they are moderately loud, but definitely no too loud.
On the Steinberg, with Garritan CFX (-3db in the VST) I have the headphone volume knob set at roughly 4 o'clock, the maximum being ~5 and it's pretty loud. In Pianoteq it's too loud on the D4 and Bluethner so I have to decrease the volume in the program. For listening to other sources, it's also very loud. The specs of the manufacturer rate the headphone amplifier at 6mW at 40 ohms. For high impedance headphones this may be low and an external amplifier might be needed. The Alva Nanoface had a significantly more powerful headphone amp.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Curriculum of techniques for various levels?
by cathryn999. 11/17/18 10:25 PM
Ever heard of Yamaha SCLP-5450??
by Sean L. 11/17/18 09:39 PM
Disobedient pinkies & lazy thumbs
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/17/18 08:06 PM
Modulation
by Alex873. 11/17/18 07:26 PM
Problem with sound on Yamaha DGX-630?
by Sophiex. 11/17/18 06:34 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,391
Posts2,762,079
Members91,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission