Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Our December 2018 Piano Newsletter Is Here!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
77 registered members (bennevis, 2literpeter, Beowulf, anotherscott, Alex C, Animisha, beeboss, AZNpiano, 12 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? #2695169
12/07/17 05:45 PM
12/07/17 05:45 PM
Netherlands
H
hyena Offline OP
hyena  Offline OP
H

Netherlands
My teacher wants to do all (Or at least most) Inventions & Sinfonias with me. Which I think is a good idea, since I've learned a lot from just one, plus I enjoy playing them.

I wonder though. Has anyone done this? What was your feeling of progress after doing them all?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2695176
12/07/17 06:07 PM
12/07/17 06:07 PM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Too many pieces, too little time. You are doing pieces from the other periods, right? There is a lot of music out there to explore. Even within the baroque period, there is more than just the inventions. I only did two inventions, then moved on.

Sam

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: Sam S] #2695177
12/07/17 06:15 PM
12/07/17 06:15 PM
Netherlands
H
hyena Offline OP
hyena  Offline OP
H

Netherlands
Originally Posted by Sam S
Too many pieces, too little time. You are doing pieces from the other periods, right? There is a lot of music out there to explore. Even within the baroque period, there is more than just the inventions. I only did two inventions, then moved on.

Sam

Yeah, we're also doing other pieces at the same time. At the moment I'm also doing a Haydn sonata and a Heller etude (Heller is the same era as Chopin), also done some Debussy. Why too little time though? I'm 23, so I still (Hopefully) have 60+ years left.

Last edited by hyena; 12/07/17 06:16 PM.
Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2695181
12/07/17 06:45 PM
12/07/17 06:45 PM
B
bennevis Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Online Content
B

If you like all the Inventions, why not?

But why not have a look at other Bach as well? Like the Partita No.1, BWV 825, which contains other challenges.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2695182
12/07/17 06:54 PM
12/07/17 06:54 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by hyena

Sam

Yeah, we're also doing other pieces at the same time. At the moment I'm also doing a Haydn sonata and a Heller etude (Heller is the same era as Chopin), also done some Debussy. Why too little time though? I'm 23, so I still (Hopefully) have 60+ years left.

23 ?

I would suggest you do as your instructor has asked you to do.

You have time to be a very fine pianist.

Good Luck

Don

Casio PX-160, Mix 5 Five-Channel Compact Mixer, DR 880 Drum Machine, Spacestation v.3 Powered Stereo Monitor
Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2695290
12/08/17 05:49 AM
12/08/17 05:49 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA

Sam

I'm 64, so you can see my viewpoint I hope. Regardless of your age, in my opinion the time it would take to learn all the inventions would be better spent (if we are sticking to Baroque) on a prelude and fugue. Or one of Bach's dance suites. Or a pair of Scarlatti sonatas. In other words, widen your experience and expose yourself to as much music as possible.

Plus, when you get beyond the most popular inventions (which are popular for a reason - C, F, Bb, E and so forth), they tend to be just more of the same but not as rewarding to play.

Just the opinion of an old guy, of course. With the 60+ years of playing you have left(?) I'm sure you can do whatever you want...

Sam

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2695299
12/08/17 07:31 AM
12/08/17 07:31 AM
Netherlands
H
hyena Offline OP
hyena  Offline OP
H

Netherlands
Yeah, I understand. I'll see what my teacher does, probably not all them then, but still quite some.

I think there are several reason she choose them. For one, I'm not a great reader, I memorize easy. Since Bach is hard to memorize, it will force me to read. I don't play even. And when I play with two hands, they don't always exactly play together.

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2695312
12/08/17 09:07 AM
12/08/17 09:07 AM
Twin cities MN US
pianosuzemn Offline
Silver Subscriber
pianosuzemn  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Twin cities MN US
I love almost everything Bach! It was my goal to do all of the inventions and sinphonia but about midway through we moved on to preludes and fugues (well tempered clavier). My teacher also had me get a book of the French suites but I haven’t touched it yet. There is so much to learn from Bach and the reward is huge, because it’s so hard. But you feel so amazing when you can do it. I’m nearly 60 and I don’t feel like I’m spending my time poorly. If you like Bach, go for it and see what happens!

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2695378
12/08/17 01:48 PM
12/08/17 01:48 PM
Vancouver, B.C.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, B.C.
My teacher wants to do all (Or at least most) Inventions & Sinfonias with me. Which I think is a good idea, since I've learned a lot from just one, plus I enjoy playing them.

I wonder though. Has anyone done this? What was your feeling of progress after doing them all?

I've been working through all the inventions (at number 10 now). Hard to gauge progress but I would qualify it as transformative. I think they are a challenge to play well no matter what level you're at. And those long trills ....

Highly recommend and good luck!

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2695385
12/08/17 02:30 PM
12/08/17 02:30 PM
Colorado, USA
T
T Cord Offline
T Cord  Offline
T

Colorado, USA
I do know they are great pieces for pianists. As for doing all of them, it depends on what you are expecting from it. Are you going to get them all memorized and perfected for say a concert? That will take a lot of time as others have mentioned. In general most pianists learn a piece up to like 80% and then move on and only perfect a few selected pieces. If you are going for the general feel of baroque playing or for specific development of technique then there are many other pieces to take a look at. I would ask your teacher why they want to do all of them with you?

Personally, I would get bored and have come to realize I will never get to all the music I may want to learn. I would choose carefully which ones I do learn and make sure I really love them. I'm sure you can get similar progress with a more varied approach. Although I don't have issues if others feel that going in a specific sequence or doing everything in a particular set of music helps them progress as well. Others experience things differently and have different needs.

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2695998
12/11/17 05:40 AM
12/11/17 05:40 AM
Netherlands
H
hyena Offline OP
hyena  Offline OP
H

Netherlands
Well, I've read Bach said this:

"Honest method, by which the amateurs of the keyboard – especially, however, those desirous of learning – are shown a clear way not only to learn to play cleanly in two parts, but also, after further progress, to handle three obligate parts correctly and well; and along with this not only to obtain good inventions (ideas) but to develop the same well; above all, however, to achieve a cantabile style in playing and at the same time acquire a strong foretaste of composition."

So that's what I'm hoping to learn.

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2696007
12/11/17 06:35 AM
12/11/17 06:35 AM
Italy
A
ARpiano Offline
ARpiano  Offline
A

Italy
I was fascinated too by that Bach title, and it is true of course, BUT it is true in that particular style (2-3 voices contrapuntal), so if you are really focused on baroque/bach style, yes.
Of course everyone can technically benefit from them.
Usually I tend to do whatever I like, better if it stretches my technique, so if you like do it... after learning many maybe you'll change mind yourself and go to other Bach works.

Last edited by ARpiano; 12/11/17 06:38 AM.
Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2696428
12/12/17 11:13 AM
12/12/17 11:13 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
I'm very fond of the inventions and sinfonias and play several of them myself. However I decided to make a selection (3 inventions and 5 sinfonias) rather than playing them all. In addition I play one of the partitas, one French suite, the Fantasia and fugue in a-minor and one prelude and fuga from the WTC. This is sufficient I think, even for a Bach lover.

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2696593
12/12/17 10:12 PM
12/12/17 10:12 PM
western MA, USA
H
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member
hreichgott  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
H

western MA, USA
Well, I've read Bach said this:

"Honest method, by which the amateurs of the keyboard – especially, however, those desirous of learning – are shown a clear way not only to learn to play cleanly in two parts, but also, after further progress, to handle three obligate parts correctly and well; and along with this not only to obtain good inventions (ideas) but to develop the same well; above all, however, to achieve a cantabile style in playing and at the same time acquire a strong foretaste of composition."

So that's what I'm hoping to learn.

I love Bach so much for the humility shown in this introduction to these works of genius: he just assumes that anyone else will be able to not only play, but compose, similar music, with a little practice.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano http://heatherwreichgott.blogspot.com

Working on:
Cabaret (whole show)
12+ variations from classical ballets
Verdi: Stabat Mater
Copland: Appalachian Spring
Tangos and other fun music for piano duo

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2696699
12/13/17 11:30 AM
12/13/17 11:30 AM
Netherlands
H
hyena Offline OP
hyena  Offline OP
H

Netherlands
Yeah, I've probably misunderstood.

We've finished number 1 now, now starting number 4, so probably skipping 2 and 3.

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2696719
12/13/17 12:43 PM
12/13/17 12:43 PM
Maine
P
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
PianoStudent88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Maine
The Inventions (and probably the Sinfonias) are not usually learned in numerical order, because they are of varying difficulty. 1 then 4 is a common pattern for your first two Inventions. You may well come back and do 2 and/or 3 later.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2696753
12/13/17 02:09 PM
12/13/17 02:09 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
A very poor idea IMO. The overwhelming majority of pianists learn a few Inventions, maybe a few Sinfonias, and them move on to the generally more challenging WTC and.or dance suites. Even for a 20 year old spendng the time needed to learn all those 2 and 3 part Inventions is way too much and will limit the amount of time you can spend on the rest of the piano repertoire and the rest of Bach's music.

In addition, most people move on the the WTC and dance suites because it is pedagogically sound to attempt increasingly difficult music. Although the 2 and 3 part Inventions do offer a range of difficulty, their difficulty level is still within a fairly restricted range.

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: pianoloverus] #2696758
12/13/17 02:50 PM
12/13/17 02:50 PM
Vancouver, B.C.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, B.C.
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
A very poor idea IMO.

Really? Each invention and sinfonia features unique technical challenges and are perfect examples of musical construction in two and three voice counterpoint. They have their own artistic merit that goes beyond simple preparation for other pieces by Bach. They are also one of the main sources we have that provides insight into Bach's own teaching material for his pupils.

Was there a survey of pianists that I'm not aware of? What level of pianists are you talking about? I do know in the Canadian RCM system students can work their way through the system without touching an invention or sinfonia and then dive into the WTC in grades 9 and 10 which I think is a mistake.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate the difficulty of the Sinfonias. Some of them are just as difficult as any fugue in the WTC.

• Schimmel Upright

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: Vid] #2696889
12/14/17 06:19 AM
12/14/17 06:19 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
Originally Posted by Vid

Also, I wouldn't underestimate the difficulty of the Sinfonias. Some of them are just as difficult as any fugue in the WTC.

I agree. Just try Sinfonia #3. It is difficult to play well, but very appealing.

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2697001
12/14/17 03:15 PM
12/14/17 03:15 PM
New York City
P
Polyphonist Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Polyphonist  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P

New York City
Probably not a good idea to spend so much time learning all the inventions or sinfonias while you are still a beginning pianist. Keep increasing the difficulty of your repertoire, expanding your musical outlook, and improving your reading skills. A couple decades later you will be able to come back to all the inventions and sinfonias you never learned and basically sight-read them.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2697043
12/14/17 06:41 PM
12/14/17 06:41 PM
Netherlands
H
hyena Offline OP
hyena  Offline OP
H

Netherlands
So far the 4th is much easier for me than the first though. Can already play the first few measures within a day. Though, that maybe also due having the progress of the first.

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: Vid] #2697044
12/14/17 06:51 PM
12/14/17 06:51 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by Vid
A very poor idea IMO.
Really? Each invention and sinfonia features unique technical challenges and are perfect examples of musical construction in two and three voice counterpoint. They have their own artistic merit that goes beyond simple preparation for other pieces by Bach. They are also one of the main sources we have that provides insight into Bach's own teaching material for his pupils.
I agree with most of this except perhaps your first sentence since this depends on how one defines unique technical challenge. Some would say that the Inventions deal with basically one technical problem...polyphonic playing.

I don't think there's a way one can learn all the 2 and 3 part Inventions and (a) still have the time to learn an appropriate number of pieces from other eras and (b) avoid playing an inappropriate number of pieces at about the same level. IOW I think learning all the 2 and 3 part Inventions is pedagogically unsound.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/14/17 06:53 PM.
Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2697047
12/14/17 07:01 PM
12/14/17 07:01 PM
Netherlands
H
hyena Offline OP
hyena  Offline OP
H

Netherlands
I do think they're great for learning control in general, I suppose playing multiple voices forces you to think in a different way. At least that's what I've noticed after only doing just one.

But it also trains my reading quite a lot, since I can't depend much on memory or ear easily. Plus, there's no room for error. A few wrong notes stand out a lot! Sometimes my left hand must play loud, sometimes my right hand must play loud. There's room for all kind of subtle dynamics. So I suppose someone who only learn polyphonic playing from them, is approaching them incorrectly.

Though yes, I probably won't do all of them. Still probably quite a bit of them.

Last edited by hyena; 12/14/17 07:32 PM.
Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: pianoloverus] #2697056
12/14/17 07:45 PM
12/14/17 07:45 PM
Vancouver, B.C.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, B.C.
Originally Posted by Vid
A very poor idea IMO.
I agree with most of this except perhaps your first sentence since this depends on how one defines unique technical challenge. Some would say that the Inventions deal with basically one technical problem...polyphonic playing.

I don't think there's a way one can learn all the 2 and 3 part Inventions and (a) still have the time to learn an appropriate number of pieces from other eras and (b) avoid playing an inappropriate number of pieces at about the same level. IOW I think learning all the 2 and 3 part Inventions is pedagogically unsound.

That's fair. I mostly agree with you and was mainly responding to "very poor idea". There's a lot of variables. For a long time amateur like myself I feel its a great idea as a project but for someone closer to the beginning stage they would be better served adding a variety of styles to their repertoire.

• Schimmel Upright

Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena] #2697431
12/16/17 03:39 PM
12/16/17 03:39 PM
Torino, Italy
A
Andrea Massimo Offline
Andrea Massimo  Offline
A

Torino, Italy
.I think it will be very useful. I have also undertaken such task. At present I can play almost all the inventions and a couple of sinfonias by heart and I'm working on the the other sinfonias. Each time I start practising a sinfonia I play first the corresponding invention in the same tone.
However, I would advise to study at the same time some simple piece from the classical period, for instance by Mozart, or even some piece from the romantic era. These two levels of study will benefit from each other. From Mozart you can learn to play melodically the different voices in Bach polyphonic inventions and sinfonias (which was one of the aims Bach had in mind for his pupils when he wrote this music). On the other hand from the polyphony you can learn to play more consciously and meaningfully even the simplest harmonic background in classical music and to better understand the tonal relationships between different sections in this music.
Still, a prerequisite for challenging studies like this is that you will learn much as far as you enjoy and love the music you are playing. If you get bored, I think it's best to switch to other pieces, and maybe get back to Bach after some time.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
VST beginner here
by Beowulf. 12/18/18 04:14 AM
GHS vs. GH3
by George Roos. 12/18/18 12:49 AM
Unpublished recording: Michelangeli, Gaspard de la Nuit-1960
by Tyrone Slothrop. 12/17/18 08:23 PM
Excited about my first public piano recital
by TiersenFan. 12/17/18 06:39 PM
What would you consider at various price ranges?
by squidbot. 12/17/18 05:55 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,983
Posts2,772,500
Members91,792
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission