Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
139 registered members (adurx, anotherscott, Amedeus, augustm, AdrianR, ARpiano, 37 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2695169 - 12/07/17 05:45 PM How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias?  
hyena Offline
hyena  Offline

My teacher wants to do all (Or at least most) Inventions & Sinfonias with me. Which I think is a good idea, since I've learned a lot from just one, plus I enjoy playing them.

I wonder though. Has anyone done this? What was your feeling of progress after doing them all?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2695176 - 12/07/17 06:07 PM Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena]  
Sam S Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Too many pieces, too little time. You are doing pieces from the other periods, right? There is a lot of music out there to explore. Even within the baroque period, there is more than just the inventions. I only did two inventions, then moved on.

Sam

#2695177 - 12/07/17 06:15 PM Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: Sam S]  
hyena Offline
hyena  Offline

Originally Posted by Sam S
Too many pieces, too little time. You are doing pieces from the other periods, right? There is a lot of music out there to explore. Even within the baroque period, there is more than just the inventions. I only did two inventions, then moved on.

Sam

Yeah, we're also doing other pieces at the same time. At the moment I'm also doing a Haydn sonata and a Heller etude (Heller is the same era as Chopin), also done some Debussy. Why too little time though? I'm 23, so I still (Hopefully) have 60+ years left.

Last edited by hyena; 12/07/17 06:16 PM.
#2695181 - 12/07/17 06:45 PM Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena]  
bennevis Offline
9000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

If you like all the Inventions, why not?

But why not have a look at other Bach as well? Like the Partita No.1, BWV 825, which contains other challenges.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2695182 - 12/07/17 06:54 PM Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by hyena

Sam

Yeah, we're also doing other pieces at the same time. At the moment I'm also doing a Haydn sonata and a Heller etude (Heller is the same era as Chopin), also done some Debussy. Why too little time though? I'm 23, so I still (Hopefully) have 60+ years left.

23 ?

I would suggest you do as your instructor has asked you to do.

You have time to be a very fine pianist.

Good Luck

Don

Current: ES8, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors
#2695290 - 12/08/17 05:49 AM Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena]  
Sam S Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA

Sam

I'm 64, so you can see my viewpoint I hope. Regardless of your age, in my opinion the time it would take to learn all the inventions would be better spent (if we are sticking to Baroque) on a prelude and fugue. Or one of Bach's dance suites. Or a pair of Scarlatti sonatas. In other words, widen your experience and expose yourself to as much music as possible.

Plus, when you get beyond the most popular inventions (which are popular for a reason - C, F, Bb, E and so forth), they tend to be just more of the same but not as rewarding to play.

Just the opinion of an old guy, of course. With the 60+ years of playing you have left(?) I'm sure you can do whatever you want...

Sam

#2695299 - 12/08/17 07:31 AM Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena]  
hyena Offline
hyena  Offline

Yeah, I understand. I'll see what my teacher does, probably not all them then, but still quite some.

I think there are several reason she choose them. For one, I'm not a great reader, I memorize easy. Since Bach is hard to memorize, it will force me to read. I don't play even. And when I play with two hands, they don't always exactly play together.

#2695312 - 12/08/17 09:07 AM Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena]  
pianosuzemn Offline
pianosuzemn  Offline

Twin cities MN US
I love almost everything Bach! It was my goal to do all of the inventions and sinphonia but about midway through we moved on to preludes and fugues (well tempered clavier). My teacher also had me get a book of the French suites but I haven’t touched it yet. There is so much to learn from Bach and the reward is huge, because it’s so hard. But you feel so amazing when you can do it. I’m nearly 60 and I don’t feel like I’m spending my time poorly. If you like Bach, go for it and see what happens!

#2695378 - 12/08/17 01:48 PM Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena]  
Vid Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, B.C.
My teacher wants to do all (Or at least most) Inventions & Sinfonias with me. Which I think is a good idea, since I've learned a lot from just one, plus I enjoy playing them.

I wonder though. Has anyone done this? What was your feeling of progress after doing them all?

I've been working through all the inventions (at number 10 now). Hard to gauge progress but I would qualify it as transformative. I think they are a challenge to play well no matter what level you're at. And those long trills ....

Highly recommend and good luck!

Kawai VPC1, Pianoteq, Galaxy Vintage D
#2695385 - 12/08/17 02:30 PM Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena]  
T Cord Offline
T Cord  Offline

Colorado, USA
I do know they are great pieces for pianists. As for doing all of them, it depends on what you are expecting from it. Are you going to get them all memorized and perfected for say a concert? That will take a lot of time as others have mentioned. In general most pianists learn a piece up to like 80% and then move on and only perfect a few selected pieces. If you are going for the general feel of baroque playing or for specific development of technique then there are many other pieces to take a look at. I would ask your teacher why they want to do all of them with you?

Personally, I would get bored and have come to realize I will never get to all the music I may want to learn. I would choose carefully which ones I do learn and make sure I really love them. I'm sure you can get similar progress with a more varied approach. Although I don't have issues if others feel that going in a specific sequence or doing everything in a particular set of music helps them progress as well. Others experience things differently and have different needs.

#2695998 - Yesterday at 05:40 AM Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena]  
hyena Offline
hyena  Offline

Well, I've read Bach said this:

"Honest method, by which the amateurs of the keyboard – especially, however, those desirous of learning – are shown a clear way not only to learn to play cleanly in two parts, but also, after further progress, to handle three obligate parts correctly and well; and along with this not only to obtain good inventions (ideas) but to develop the same well; above all, however, to achieve a cantabile style in playing and at the same time acquire a strong foretaste of composition."

So that's what I'm hoping to learn.

#2696007 - Yesterday at 06:35 AM Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena]  
ARpiano Online content
ARpiano  Online Content

Italy
I was fascinated too by that Bach title, and it is true of course, BUT it is true in that particular style (2-3 voices contrapuntal), so if you are really focused on baroque/bach style, yes.
Of course everyone can technically benefit from them.
Usually I tend to do whatever I like, better if it stretches my technique, so if you like do it... after learning many maybe you'll change mind yourself and go to other Bach works.

Last edited by ARpiano; Yesterday at 06:38 AM.
#2696428 - 5 hours ago Re: How much progress after doing all Inventions & Sinfonias? [Re: hyena]  
Ganddalf Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Norway
I'm very fond of the inventions and sinfonias and play several of them myself. However I decided to make a selection (3 inventions and 5 sinfonias) rather than playing them all. In addition I play one of the partitas, one French suite, the Fantasia and fugue in a-minor and one prelude and fuga from the WTC. This is sufficient I think, even for a Bach lover.

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Certificates from Top Conservatories
by S'il Vous Plait. 12/12/17 02:05 PM
Amplifying synth through piano speakers?
by Paalrammer. 12/12/17 01:20 PM
Looking for some information, please!
by Mark Davis. 12/12/17 12:42 PM
The fun of correcting unisons
by Beemer. 12/12/17 11:23 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,242
Posts2,678,734
Members89,267
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission