2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
45 members (Auraltuner, cmb13, Beowulf, 1957, Burkey, Carey, Bett, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 416 guests, and 383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 92 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 91 92
Re: Faber Graduates
BrianDX #2672946 09/05/17 12:29 PM
C
C
Hi friends My name is Carlos from Brazil, Im 34 yers old

I'm some months just following this thread. Brian, Mario and all insprired me to keep learning piano.

I started my piano journey in 2011, when I had bought a Yamaha E423 keyboard. I started to learn with Learm and Master Piano DVDs. It helped me to begin to learn. But some months later I've stopped due work demands. Late 2015 I sold my keyboard.

This year the desire to learn piano returns, but now I wanted a 88 keys digital piano. I started to search models and brands and in the meantime I heard about Alfred's method. I bought a Casio Digital Piano and then started to search Alfred and Adult Methods.

I was in betwen Alfred, Hall Leonard and Faber Adults All in One methods. Then I've found piano world and the Faber enthusiats. Then I chose Faber.

Now I'm on Faber AIO Adult PA Book 2 ,unit 08 and working on Prep Piano Literature. And I hope achieve the levels you guys are now.

Hugs

Carlos Santos

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Carlos Santos #2673039 09/05/17 08:01 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Carlos Santos
Hi friends My name is Carlos from Brazil, Im 34 yers old

I'm some months just following this thread. Brian, Mario and all insprired me to keep learning piano.

I started my piano journey in 2011, when I had bought a Yamaha E423 keyboard. I started to learn with Learm and Master Piano DVDs. It helped me to begin to learn. But some months later I've stopped due work demands. Late 2015 I sold my keyboard.

This year the desire to learn piano returns, but now I wanted a 88 keys digital piano. I started to search models and brands and in the meantime I heard about Alfred's method. I bought a Casio Digital Piano and then started to search Alfred and Adult Methods.

I was in betwen Alfred, Hall Leonard and Faber Adults All in One methods. Then I've found piano world and the Faber enthusiats. Then I chose Faber.

Now I'm on Faber AIO Adult PA Book 2 ,unit 08 and working on Prep Piano Literature. And I hope achieve the levels you guys are now.

Hugs

Carlos Santos

Hi Carlos,

Welcome to this wonderful forum.

I'm also one of those starter-stoppers and this is my third foray into piano learning. I've stuck with it for three years I think and this has been the longest stretch. I think it is because of the Faber series that I have stuck with it. The progress in Faber is very slow and steady and before you know it you are playing pieces you couldn't even imagine playing. I did most of my learning on my own but now that I have reached Level 4 I decided to get a teacher who is now focusing on getting my piano playing techniques fine-tuned and in some case completely overhauled.

BTW I also did the Alfred adult series but I found it focused too much on playing just harmony in the left hand. Also the progress was not very smooth and so gave it up and gave up piano. I had a teacher at that time but she was not very good; did not focus too much on my technique and had my on some classical pieces which were way beyond my level.

Last edited by Mario2015; 09/05/17 08:02 PM.
Mario2015 #2681016 10/10/17 09:08 AM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hello fellow Faber students!

Well it's been quiet around here; I hope we still have a few folks who follow this thread.

As far as my own progress, I am down to 5 pieces to go before finishing the Faber series. The last piece I just finished, Bearcat Boogie, is an example of why I love these books so much. I spent 6 weeks working on this with my teacher. In addition to having multiple flats in the key signature, this piece features 4-note chords stretching for 10 measures, in addition to multiple passages of syncopation with triplets thrown in for good measure. By the end of last week I was playing this at a good pace with very few mistakes if any.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
BrianDX #2684175 10/22/17 07:33 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by BrianDX
Hello fellow Faber students!

Well it's been quiet around here; I hope we still have a few folks who follow this thread.

As far as my own progress, I am down to 5 pieces to go before finishing the Faber series. The last piece I just finished, Bearcat Boogie, is an example of why I love these books so much. I spent 6 weeks working on this with my teacher. In addition to having multiple flats in the key signature, this piece features 4-note chords stretching for 10 measures, in addition to multiple passages of syncopation with triplets thrown in for good measure. By the end of last week I was playing this at a good pace with very few mistakes if any.

Hi Brian,

Yes it has gotten a bit quiet here.

It is so wonderful that with the Faber series you gradually progress and before you know it you are playing pieces which are so rich and complicated but it does not seem as daunting as it would have been a year ago.

Would I ask a favor of everyone. Would everyone just say 'hello' to let us know you are still alive here.

I have just finished Unit 2 of Series 4. Taking a bit of time.

I am alternatively learning how to play jazz with my teacher and so busy learning some of the easier of the jazz chords with two hands and how to play them and incorporate the melody. We are using pieces from the so called fake book i.e. the books that give you simple one note melody along with the chord symbols and I need to play this and make it a bit richer by incorporating more notes. It is an interesting journey but quite difficult as you are improvising while playing.

Last edited by Mario2015; 10/22/17 07:36 PM.
Mario2015 #2684182 10/22/17 07:53 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Mario2015

Would I ask a favor of everyone. Would everyone just say 'hello' to let us know you are still alive here.

Hi Mario and Brian!

I am still alive and (sporadically) here. I have not had much time for piano the last three months. If I'm lucky, I'll have 5-10 minutes a few times per week, just enough to sit down and play something I already know, in hopes of keeping my fingers lubed up. Have not been able to work in the books, but I want to be able to get back to it soon, as I really miss making progress.

Linda
Yamaha N1X
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] XLVII
dancingfish #2684211 10/22/17 09:22 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Good to hear from you Linda!

I just started the last piece in the Lesson Book. There are two pieces left to study in the Performance Book, and then that's it. Probably will be done by mid-December. At that point I'll take a pulse to see if there are enough interested folks to keep this thread going into 2018.

Take care,
Brian

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
BrianDX #2684245 10/22/17 11:32 PM
J
J
Hi

Don't post here too often, but working my way (with my teacher) through Book 3B. Still enjoying it and slowly getting more confident. And still finding it hard... smile

regards

John

BrianDX #2684313 10/23/17 07:09 AM
C
C
I'm starting Faber this week so glad this thread popped to the front page. I'm a bass player trying to learn new tricks on the piano and look forward to reading this thread and stopping by with an occasional progress report (assuming I do make progress). Joined a similar thread on the talkbass forum for the Hal Leonard Bass Method books and it was good to have a group to hang out with online in the same method books. Piano is hard but I look forward to playing every day. It doesn't seem like practice, it's just something I enjoy doing so I hope that will always be the case.. While bass was self taught (still play each day) I have a teacher for piano and she likes the Faber series so here I go. We're using the advanced beginnner series so I've got a 4 books lesson, sight reading, theory and the other one.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 10/23/17 07:10 AM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
Chili_Time #2684706 10/24/17 03:39 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi John BC and Chili Time. Good to have you here smile

BrianDX #2684813 10/25/17 12:39 AM
M
M
Hi John BC and Chili Time. Good to have you here smile

I'll second that.

I've been here a few years now and have found the interactions positive and quite useful.

Linda, hopefully you will be back on track soon. Good to know you are still playing albeit for a short time. Keeps those brain connections alive.

Mario2015 #2687694 11/06/17 08:49 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Update: Well I have gone out on a limb and I'm going to play the Faber Level 5 "Graduation Piece" (last piece in the Lesson Book) on Sunday in front of 30 people (Ballade by Burgmuller).

It's been an amazing 4+ years; hard to believe it's only a few weeks away from being finished.

BrianDX #2687744 11/07/17 01:52 AM
M
M
Update: Well I have gone out on a limb and I'm going to play the Faber Level 5 "Graduation Piece" (last piece in the Lesson Book) on Sunday in front of 30 people (Ballade by Burgmuller).

It's been an amazing 4+ years; hard to believe it's only a few weeks away from being finished.

Wow!! Congrat Brian!!!

All the best with the playing of that piece.

Hope you remain on the site and continue to be an inspiration to all of us.

Mario2015 #2687818 11/07/17 11:57 AM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Mario!

BrianDX #2687823 11/07/17 12:32 PM
C
C

Awesome and congratulations! I hope you come back with a report or even better a video of you killing it at the recital.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
BrianDX #2693252 11/30/17 06:48 PM
M
M
Thanks Mario!

How is it going Brian. Are you all done?

Please keep this wonderful forum and keep updating us with your progress and advising us as we make this journey.

BrianDX #2693803 12/02/17 11:27 PM
B
B
I just finished reading all the threads.
Over 44 pages covering about five yrs.
Enjoyed reading all the comments from
Everyone. Congratulations Brian on your
achievements. After I finished Alfreds Adult
All In One book 2 I plan on Faber Piano
Adventures level 4. It seems their
are many folks that will be somewhere at
that point. So Brian keep this baby open
and chime in from time to time. Thanks
for your support. —Birdgolf

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]

Birdgolf #2694045 12/03/17 08:07 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Birdgolf

Originally Posted by Birdgolf

Hi Birdgoff,

I'm in the middle of Level 4 so let's keep the conversation going. Right now half my time goes on Level 4 practice and the other half goes in learning jazz piano.

BrianDX #2694216 12/04/17 02:06 PM
B
B
Hello Mario,
I'm finishing up on Alfred's AAIO Bk 2 and then sometime in Feb or Mar will start Faber PA Level 4 (all the core books). Right now half my times goes to christmas songs and the other half goes to Alfred's (I'm in the Bb Major Section, about 7 pieces working on). Later, Birdgolf

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]

Mario2015 #2694708 12/06/17 09:53 AM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mario2015
Thanks Mario!

How is it going Brian. Are you all done?

Please keep this wonderful forum and keep updating us with your progress and advising us as we make this journey.

Thanks Mario!

Working on my last piece in the Level 5 Performance Book. Will be done by the end of this month.

The Burgmuller piece went very well. Hopefully I'll have the audio recording of it soon...

Nice hearing from you Birdgolf!

BrianDX #2698060 12/19/17 12:10 AM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Well tonight was a real milestone; I finished the last two pieces in the Faber Piano Adventures Level 5 Performance book. Graduation is done as it were.

Here are the stats: Total elapsed time starting from August 2013 when my wife and I started Accelerated Older Adult Book till tonight, about 4 1/2 years. If I subtract the weeks off, prep for performances, studying other material etc, I would say I spent about 3 years 9 months on these books. Over 750 total pieces. Although the material got harder in the later books, the pieces when mastered were a joy to learn and play. My final piece, Mazurka In G Minor adapted from Chopin by Nancy Faber was my favorite among all the other pieces.

For me, this system works (so far). Now the real test begins; how well will I be able to learn and master other Intermediate level material outside of the Faber world? That will ultimately determine how good these books really were.

I will continue to monitor this thread as long as it stays reasonably active. Take my word for it; practice hard at each level. Your are building a house here; when the roof is finally in place you've really got something...

Page 44 of 92 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 91 92

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,571
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission