I have a new 5 month old grand that was first tuned 6wks after delivery. I had been maintaining the showroom tune from measurements I made in the store. My RPT asked if I liked the sound, and I said yes (which I later realized I should have said I liked it but it wasn't perfect). I asked him to tune it how he preferred, and he said he usually leaned towards more stretch i.e. a little "salty". He tuned it to a cybertune octave stretch of 6- on a 1 to 9 scale (9 is more). He then finished the tune aurally. The result while good was virtually the same as the tune I copied from the piano store.
Recently while working on Brahms, I listened to the Volodos recording of Brahms intermezzo Op.118, No.2. YouTube- Sechs Klavierst├╝cke, Op. 118: II. Intermezzo in A Major. The sound had none of the harshness in the beautiful, subtle dissonantances of the treble that I heard when I played it on my piano. It was a slight but to my ears significant difference.
I have a new RPT who is teaching me some regulation, and when he listened to the recording he said he could retune and meet my expectations. He took 45 minutes with a cybertune octave stretch of 1 for a first pass, and then took 1 1/2hrs for an aural tune on the second. The results were exactly what I wanted. Was the first tuner wrong? I think not, I just wasn't clear what I wanted.
This seems to be a good way under certain conditions to make voicing changes without needling hammer felts. It of course unlike needling is easily reversible. I can also revert back to my previous tune if I tire of the present sound profile- for instance if I am accompanying a symphony orchestra in my living room.

Last edited by Sanfrancisco; 12/04/17 03:34 PM.