Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
127 registered members (AssociateX, ando, anotherscott, barbaram, Beemer, Amedeus, Bambers, BachToTheFuture, 26 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) #2692930
11/29/17 03:38 PM
11/29/17 03:38 PM
S
somecorner Offline OP
somecorner  Offline OP
S

Hi All,

New to the forum so apologies if I misstep at all with this question, or there is a better place to ask it.

I am completely and utterly new to the piano - and, lets be honest here, music in general. Have wanted to learn for a long time and am now in a position where I am able to find time and some finances to begin the journey.

Currently I am in the process of looking for a teacher in the Northern Virginia/DC area willing to take on an adult, and alongside this sourcing an appropriate piano. My interests lie in the blues/jazz/rock/popular rather than the classical direction, but given I know nothing about "right" way to develop over time I'm very open to how this will play out.

My question (finally smile ) is what things I can productively do to start learning before I have a piano on hand and/or a teacher. My hope is that there are some things it would be useful to learn as concepts and ideas that will help a complete novice get their head into the right space.

Appreciate any suggestions or ideas
sc

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2692937
11/29/17 03:55 PM
11/29/17 03:55 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Learning to read music. It’s very easy to practice and will help you get started. It’s not as hard as it seems and will be to your benefit. Piano, and music in general, requires patience. I had to learn that the hard way as I’m an impatient person. Congratulations on making the leap as you will find it rewarding. Best wishes,mb

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2692938
11/29/17 03:57 PM
11/29/17 03:57 PM
VA,US
P
Pianist@Heart Offline
Pianist@Heart  Offline
P

VA,US
Hi,
I would suggest starting with a beginners music theory book. I like Alfred's Essentials of music theory. It will teach you the notes on the staffs and other great things to learn. Also I use music flash cards by Bastien to help me with the notes and key signatures. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2692939
11/29/17 04:02 PM
11/29/17 04:02 PM
P
PerAspera Offline
PerAspera  Offline
P

Hi and welcome! There are so many great teachers in our area, I’m sure you find one very soon! I suggest you do absolutely nothing before the lessons and let your teacher guide you from the very beginning.

Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: PerAspera] #2692941
11/29/17 04:15 PM
11/29/17 04:15 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by PerAspera
Hi and welcome! There are so many great teachers in our area, I’m sure you find one very soon! I suggest you do absolutely nothing before the lessons and let your teacher guide you from the very beginning.

I could not agree more.

Everything you do "ahead of time" will be unnecessary at best and possibly detrimental to your progress.

Just relax.

Find a teacher and let that teacher help you from there on.

Don

Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course - Completed Chapter 5

Pianoteq, Spacestation v.3 Powered Stereo Monitor
Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2692944
11/29/17 04:26 PM
11/29/17 04:26 PM
Cambridge, MA, USA
A
Amedeus Online content
Amedeus  Online Content
A

Cambridge, MA, USA
Welcome!! Along to start learning notes start asap with the idea of counting!! I started myself without a teacher and using Alfred's Essentials of music theory (very good book) but I was just putting notes together (when I was able) but without counting you miss the melody. It's like spelling a word rather than reading it.

Good luck!!

Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2692952
11/29/17 04:48 PM
11/29/17 04:48 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keystring  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Canada
Wait for the teacher to teach you. That will make it less things to undo and reteach. That includes fundamentals like what counting or reading might seem to be. That is always assuming that you will get a decent teacher.

Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2692956
11/29/17 05:01 PM
11/29/17 05:01 PM
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Chili_Time  Offline
C

Tennessee
You may want to read this FAQ about digital pianos. Not sure if you plan to rent or purchase a piano or go digital or not but this FAQ has some good information.

https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/wiki/faq#wiki_choosing_a_keyboard

Started Playing October 1, 2017. First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Accelerated Piano Adventures Book 2 For The Older Beginner. Yamaha P-115.
Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2693022
11/29/17 10:01 PM
11/29/17 10:01 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
thepianoplayer416  Offline
T

Toronto, Canada
Takes a lot of discipline to get down to practicing every day or often enough during the week to be worthwhile.

Last year got myself into group lessons for adults at a local conservatory. These are weekly social activities. Some of the students would go out with others for coffee after class sort of thing. Private lessons can get rather boring when you are by yourself. I've found other adult keyboard courses through the local board of education. Instead of going through a repertoire book and preparing for conservatory exams, we learn to play easy songs such as an arrangement of "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong and "My Heart Will Go On" from the movie Titanic. Traditional lessons will get you into playing Bach Minuets like "Minuet in G" and Bach Inventions in the first 2 years if this is the route you wish to go.

Good luck...

Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2693040
11/29/17 11:16 PM
11/29/17 11:16 PM
Maine
P
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
PianoStudent88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Maine
Listen to music.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2693101
11/30/17 07:49 AM
11/30/17 07:49 AM
S
somecorner Offline OP
somecorner  Offline OP
S

Many thanks all, appreciate the replies and very useful links.

I'm not one who likes to go into things without advance preparation but I'll take the "Just relax" one as sound advice and see where we go smile

Hopefully the teacher search will work out soon. Sounds like you've found it relatively easy here in DC PerAspera which is good. My research hasn't been very fruitful so far, but I suspect that is down to user error and not looking in the best places!

Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2693116
11/30/17 08:58 AM
11/30/17 08:58 AM
Toronto, Canada
G
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
Greener  Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

G

Toronto, Canada
Work on learning chords and scale of 3rds and find a lead sheet teacher, suggested.

Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2693117
11/30/17 09:03 AM
11/30/17 09:03 AM
P
PerAspera Offline
PerAspera  Offline
P

It’s never easy to find a teacher, too many things to consider including goals, compatibility, commute etc. It took me two tries but now I am set for the next 10 years I hope lol My goals are learning fundamentals I can build upon till the rest of my life, and that’s exactly what I am doing with my teacher, he’s the best. Have you checked out the music teachers Association website? Where in Nova are you?

Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2693168
11/30/17 12:30 PM
11/30/17 12:30 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
One of the ways to find a teacher:

. . . Contact local community colleges with a music department,
. . . . and talk with their staff.

Lots of CC's have jazz/pop music programs. Lots of their teachers will give private lessons.

Those teachers are used to dealing with adults, rather than little kids.

PS (edit) -- the Reddit link, above, gives pretty good guidance on buying a digital piano, IMHO. There's lots of posts in the "Digital Pianos (etc)" forum, here, on "What DP should I buy for $X ?". But you should talk with your teacher, when you find one.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 11/30/17 12:33 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Learning things pre finding a teacher (and a piano...) [Re: somecorner] #2693185
11/30/17 01:25 PM
11/30/17 01:25 PM
Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Rich D. Offline
Gold Subscriber
Rich D.  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Rehoboth Beach De. USA
I retired and moved out of the DC area a number of years ago but I remember Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC) in Annandale have a pretty good piano program with emphasis in jazz. Also both Annandale and Alexandria campuses have excellent music teachers that you can take through NVCC or privately.

In addition to finding a good piano teacher, taking a basic music class through the community college is a good place to start and highly recomended. Good luck.

Rich

Retired at the beach

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NEXT Level Reharm Course
by dbowensmusic. 11/19/18 09:51 AM
Shake it?
by Markuska. 11/19/18 07:32 AM
Estonia 168 for sale in my area, opinions?
by squidbot. 11/19/18 04:05 AM
MIDI
by David Taylor. 11/19/18 03:53 AM
Charles Cooke's classical repertoire suggestions for amateur
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/19/18 02:04 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,415
Posts2,762,542
Members91,524
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission